HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jody Shelley a good signing?

Old
07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post

With Shelley in the lineup, Richards doesn't get hurt that night.

We don't need an enforcer?

Almost every team in the Eastern Conference has one.

Shelley is a fantastic signing.
So having Shelley on the team makes Richards' shoulder more durable?

Every team in the Eastern Conference had a heavyweight last year, and where did it get us?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The signing is pure fail.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Why Jody Shelley?

Because Colton Orr took out Mike Richards shoulder in March and was playing injuried with it the rest of the season.

No one on the team stood up to Orr that night.

With Shelley in the lineup, Richards doesn't get hurt that night.

We don't need an enforcer?

Almost every team in the Eastern Conference has one.

Shelley is a fantastic signing.
Colton Orr sucks. Jody Shelley isnt much better. especially for 1.1 million.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Also, Shelley took 13 penalties and drew 7 last season once the coincidentals are factored out.

He managed to do that in like 7 minutes of ice time. If he gets a bigger role, he'll be a trainwreck.

I mean, if you think that Carcillo's 42 drawn, 17 taken is bad (which makes you a retard, by the way) then you'll really hate Shelley's 7 drawn and 13 taken.

And Carcillo had over 11 mins of TOI versus Shelley's 7.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I actually think it's a smart signing, even if it's a little expensive. We had a number of times last year, where our "stars" were dropping the gloves.

Also, as much as i love the guy, lappy just isn't a fighter that can pump up the team. He takes on fighters, throws his two punches and hugs for dear life. He certainly won't be doing as much of that this year.

Cote is an example of a guy that pump up a team, that has great fights. But he usually wins 1 out of every 15 fights that he has. So for every 1 fight that he wins and helps his team out, he is on the other end for the other 14. Shelley is a good fighter. Someone who we are all going to love, someone the team is going to love, and someone who can turn the tide of a game by smashing some guys face in.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Regardless of price/TOI/etc, I'm looking forward to his fights. As much as people complain about bringing enforcers onto the team, I LOVE to watch fights. Carcillo's one-punch knockout of Bradley last year was just downright epic.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Also, Shelley took 13 penalties and drew 7 last season once the coincidentals are factored out.

He managed to do that in like 7 minutes of ice time. If he gets a bigger role, he'll be a trainwreck.

But he will prevent injuries to Mike Richards!!!!!!!!!

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I actually think it's a smart signing, even if it's a little expensive. We had a number of times last year, where our "stars" were dropping the gloves.

Also, as much as i love the guy, lappy just isn't a fighter that can pump up the team. He takes on fighters, throws his two punches and hugs for dear life. He certainly won't be doing as much of that this year.

Cote is an example of a guy that pump up a team, that has great fights. But he usually wins 1 out of every 15 fights that he has. So for every 1 fight that he wins and helps his team out, he is on the other end for the other 14. Shelley is a good fighter. Someone who we are all going to love, someone the team is going to love, and someone who can turn the tide of a game by smashing some guys face in.
We really didn't...

Lappy 26 majors
Carcillo 17 majors
Asham 14 majors
Hartnell 7 majors
Richards 5 majors (4 fights? 1 was the hit on Booth)
Powe 2 majors
Gagne 1 major (reaction to the hit in Ottawa)
Pronger 1 major
Briere 1 major (hit in Colorado, right?)
Giroux 1 major
OKT 1 major

Fighting is part of Richards game. One of those fights was answering to Booth for his hit (good on him for manning up) at that. He picks his spots. Hartnell is going to continue to go, it's part of his game... we really didn't have this problem of our "stars" dropping the gloves. The instigator has completely nullified the usefulness of the enforcer in hockey.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:48 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We really didn't...

Lappy 26 majors
Carcillo 17 majors
Asham 14 majors
Hartnell 7 majors
Powe 2 majors
Pronger 1 major
Giroux 1 major
OKT 1 major

Fighting is part of Richards game. One of those fights was answering to Booth for his hit (good on him for manning up) at that. He picks his spots. Hartnell is going to continue to go, it's part of his game... we really didn't have this problem of our "stars" dropping the gloves. The instigator has completely nullified the usefulness of the enforcer in hockey.
I really loved seeing Giroux pound Marek Svatos too. How is he supposed to do that now?

07-14-2010, 11:59 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
We really didn't...

Lappy 26 majors
Carcillo 17 majors
Asham 14 majors
Hartnell 7 majors
Powe 2 majors
Pronger 1 major
Giroux 1 major
OKT 1 major

Sad, because the use of enforcers is why Wayne Gretzky was more or less left alone for the most part. "Lay a hand on our elites and you get a beat down."

Matt Cooke last year absolutely proved why the instigator penalty is a complete waste. Plus the fact that the refs are so inconsistent when it comes to handing it out.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Sad, because the use of enforcers is why Wayne Gretzky was more or less left alone for the most part. "Lay a hand on our elites and you get a beat down."

Matt Cooke last year absolutely proved why the instigator penalty is a complete waste. Plus the fact that the refs are so inconsistent when it comes to handing it out.
I really am not a huge fan of fighting, and it is, in part, due to the clownish nature of it in the NHL now with the instigator. 95% of the fights serve zero purpose other than guys just showing off that they're willing to go and justify their roster spot. I mean, Jody Shelley fighting the Boogaards and Orrs of the world has ZERO impact on the game. People that think it does, don't understand what the role of the enforcer was 30 years ago... he didn't go after the other enforcer (necessarily) he went after everyone.

I also agree that the officiating/league need to step up their game if they're going to continue with the instigator. It's fine to say we want to get away from vigilante justice (a reasonable position for the league's office), but then you need to crack down on the jackholes out there.

Old
07-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Stonehands77

I agree with Jester...enforcers are a waste in the modern NHL. It takes up a roster spot and precious cap space, for a guy who can't do a whole lot other than fight someone else who can't do a whole lot besides fight. Whoop-de-freaking-doo. He's not going to be another Lappy. Lappy was a PKer before he came to Philly. Shelley has done nothing but fight. He's not noted for his defense, he's not noted for anything besides his fists. It's a waste on this team.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
I really am not a huge fan of fighting, and it is, in part, due to the clownish nature of it in the NHL now with the instigator. 95% of the fights serve zero purpose other than guys just showing off that they're willing to go and justify their roster spot. I mean, Jody Shelley fighting the Boogaards and Orrs of the world has ZERO impact on the game. People that think it does, don't understand what the role of the enforcer was 30 years ago... he didn't go after the other enforcer (necessarily) he went after everyone.

I also agree that the officiating/league need to step up their game if they're going to continue with the instigator. It's fine to say we want to get away from vigilante justice (a reasonable position for the league's office), but then you need to crack down on the jackholes out there.
This is why the instigator rule is pointless to begin with. The rule was made to supposedly stop "staged" fights, correct? The problem is, fights started because of an unnecessary hit made by a ***** like Matt Cooke, are obviously going to be instigated by the other team so it's easy for the refs to hand it out. That's not a staged fight.

Had the Bruins sent out a real enforcer to basically beat him down embarrassingly, Matt Cooke would certainly think twice about pulling a stunt like that again... didn't help that even after plenty of video footage, he still wasn't suspended. The word enforcer is thrown around too much to begin with... there really aren't many real enforcers out there anymore, just a bunch of Riley Cotes that like you said, "are just showing off."

Old
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
phillyfanatic

Did anyone read the article? Brooks from the NY Post explained how important Shelley was as a "player". Philabright explained how Shelley is more of a Lappy type of player and not a Cote. Why are we talking about him as strictly a goon? If that is the case, argument over......it is a waste of a roster spot. I am wondering if Jody Shelley is a legit hockey player.

If Shelley is a useless player (Goon) then I have no time for that. If he is a big-hitter, stick up for your teammates, great on the forecheck, not a defensive liability but happens to be a great fighter - then this is a good signing. I have browsed the Ranger and Blue Jacket forums and they seem to like him as a player + fighter. We shall see.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:36 PM
TheLegendkiller

I'll tell you this...when we signed Shelley Rangers fans weren't happy about losing him at all.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Homer can't seriously think Shelley can play 3rd line minutes can he? How is Shelley planning on outplaying the hungry Phantoms wanting that same spot on the 3rd line?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

That's because they have no real players to provide protection to their stars. Many of the flyers players can and will fight, but enforcers like this prevent that, which is good, because of the physical nature of flyers hockey, anything that prevents our players getting hurt or injured (which has happened in fights), I'm all for it. I'd rather Shelley break his hand or cheek bone fighting than Richards.

Old
07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

My post meant the rangers have no one to protect their stars.

Old
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Garbage Goal

The Rangers didn't have a quality fourth line like Carcillo-Betts-Lappy when they acquired Shelley (and still don't). That's why they loved him.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
My post meant the rangers have no one to protect their stars.
They signed the Boogie man...so they do now, but luckily they overpaid him as well, so we aren't the only ones...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Did anyone read the article? Brooks from the NY Post explained how important Shelley was as a "player". Philabright explained how Shelley is more of a Lappy type of player and not a Cote. Why are we talking about him as strictly a goon? If that is the case, argument over......it is a waste of a roster spot. I am wondering if Jody Shelley is a legit hockey player.
Comparing Jody Shelley to Lappy is an embarrassment to anyone that makes the comparison. Jody Shelley is a significant improvement over Cote, but he isn't even remotely in the same league as Lappy, who provides similar play at even strength and is a FANTASTIC situational player on the PK.

Quote:
If Shelley is a useless player (Goon) then I have no time for that. If he is a big-hitter, stick up for your teammates, great on the forecheck, not a defensive liability but happens to be a great fighter - then this is a good signing. I have browsed the Ranger and Blue Jacket forums and they seem to like him as a player + fighter. We shall see.
Shelley is a useless player for us... given the 4th line we could already construct, and the nature of our 3rd line.

Old
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Garbage, of that line only one I want fighting is Carcillo, MAYBE Lappy. As for Booggard...LOL

Old
07-14-2010, 12:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Do pigs fly?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiousInfant View Post
He's overpaid by $200-300k, and was signed at a time when cap space was precious. Those are the reasons most fans hate the signing - otherwise, Jody Shelley is a considerable upgrade from Cote, both as a fighter and as a player. The fact that NY is upset at losing him, that he was pursued by multiple teams, and that he is apparently great in the locker room also help.

Still, this was way down the list of needs...
I agree with this statement. I like the idea of having him on the team. I don't like the idea of losing cap space that can be used to maintain the likes of Gagne.

I don't doubt that he will be loved as a teammate and because of his fighting ability. But if we end up losign Gagne in this whole mess, it seems counterproductive.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:03 PM
El Emperor

Is it just me or was the Mike Rathje contract actually a failsafe for Homer not to overspend like he has this offseason?