HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquire Steve Eminger

Old
07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
who knows if he even makes the team.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
No, he's definitely not. Like I said earlier, many posters here either heap ridiculous praise on a guy or absolutely drill him...there's never any gray area. Eminger is fine for what he is.

Unless other people on our board watched the Caps regularly for years, pre-Ovechkin even, I'm gonna go ahead and say I've seen Eminger more than anyone. He's fine.
I have not seen any "ridiculous praise" in this thread. I think I'm one of the only posters standing up for him and my stance has continued to be "adequate bottom pairing d-man" based on what I'm hearing from other teams. Definitely a lot negative people seeing that he's on 6 teams in 4 years without looking into the facts.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:53 PM
NYR Viper

I think this may be a confidence thing with Eminger. He has some pretty good talent and he has some experience with some of the coaching staff. He is more than enough for a 6/7 especially if a player like McDonagh and Gilroy are both on the blue-line this season as both would be better served getting some games off.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:05 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Hey, at the bare minimum, at least we have a new whipping boy.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:27 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I have not seen any "ridiculous praise" in this thread. I think I'm one of the only posters standing up for him and my stance has continued to be "adequate bottom pairing d-man" based on what I'm hearing from other teams. Definitely a lot negative people seeing that he's on 6 teams in 4 years without looking into the facts.
Just in general, every acquisition seems to be either incredible or plain awful--in this thread, the latter is the more common sentiment. I'm just generalizing, as in reality, most of our posters here are pretty reasonable.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:35 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

There's no way to sugarcoat how bad Eminger is.

He's not a cancer. He's not uncoachable. He doesnt have injuries preventing him from succeeding.

He just sucks. He plays small and he plays stupid.

Take one weakness from each of our d-men:

Staal's decision making on the other side of the red line
Girardi's foot speed
Roszival's turnovers
Del Zotto's immaturity
Redden's avoidance of contact
Gilroy's agility

Now roll that all into one super scrub, and you have Steve Eminger.

There's no way to prove that I've had the unfortunate opportunities to see this guy play for years. I'm a hockey junkie. But all of you can rest assured that Eminger will do nothing for this team, moreso than what Voros couldnt do.

But please spare the "he isnt that bad" BS. Anybody who thinks Eminger is a decent player must have thought Bruce Driver's tenure was Norris-esque.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post

He's not a cancer. He's not uncoachable. He doesnt have injuries preventing him from succeeding.

Girardi's foot speed
Roszival's turnovers
Del Zotto's immaturity
Gilroy's agility

There's no way to prove that I've had the unfortunate opportunities to see this guy play for years. I'm a hockey junkie. But all of you can rest assured that Eminger will do nothing for this team, moreso than what Voros couldnt do.

But please spare the "he isnt that bad" BS. Anybody who thinks Eminger is a decent player must have thought Bruce Driver's tenure was Norris-esque.

sather should have tried to get Sheldon Brookbank instead

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:

Girardi's foot speed
Roszival's turnovers
Del Zotto's immaturity
Gilroy's agility

Jesus christ man, I watch the Ducks, he doesn't bring much but I don't remember him being that bad.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Jesus christ man, I watch the Ducks, he doesn't bring much but I don't remember him being that bad.
You don't remember him being that bad because he's NOT that bad. But Scipio is going to try to sell us on the idea that Eminger is the worst defenseman in the league, so whatever. Let him have his fun.

Old
07-14-2010, 04:23 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

The biggest problem with Eminger is that he is a turnover machine. Do I really need to go into how turnovers from the backline has been a major problem with this team over the years?

Rangers fans are completely botching what this guy brings.

He was an offensive-minded d-man in junior. He was a puck rusher with good speed, had a decent shot and good offensive instincts. Kinda like Bryan Fogarty, but not as dynamic. Heck, i would say Sanguinetti played a lot like him.

He was never tough. He isnt a bruiser. he doesnt hit. He was drafted to be an offensive defenseman or PP QB, not a 6 or 7.

The two things he had going for him -- his speed and offensive game -- are dead and buried.

Anaheim is EXTREMELY thin on defense. Last year, they had Niedermayer and Whitney, yet it was Wisniewski that took over the offensive role Eminger was supposed to supply. Then they went out and got Visnovsky. Now they lose Niedermayer, you would think they would want to hold on to Eminger, even if just for depth purposes. I mean, did Fowler make him expendable? That would be sad if they automatically gave Fowler a job over Eminger without camp even starting.

In turn, Eminger was relegated to playing a defensive role and was absolutely horrendous at it. It would be like playing Hollweg on the 1st PP unit with jagr and Nylander, or Zherdev on a checking line.

Eminger was cleary the worst defenseman on the Ducks last year, who were 23rd in goals against. He was worse than Sheldon Brookbank.

So if you are the No. 6 defenseman on one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL, then yes, i would say he is one of the worst defensemen in the NHL.

Biggest liability on one of the worst defensive teams in hockey?

Traded to six teams in three years?

Actually needs to compete to be the 7th defenseman on the Rangers

Traded for Aaron Voros?

Eminger might very well be the worst player in the NHL, let alone wrost defenseman.

Old
07-14-2010, 04:28 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You don't remember him being that bad because he's NOT that bad. But Scipio is going to try to sell us on the idea that Eminger is the worst defenseman in the league, so whatever. Let him have his fun.
Aside from you simply saying "he's not that bad", I'd very much like to know what you thought of his play last year. And please, be specific.

Old
07-14-2010, 04:36 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=797762

My personal fave quote from a Ducks fan after he was traded:

"hooray, eminger will finally be able to make a pass to a Ducks forward!"

Old
07-14-2010, 05:27 AM
malfobi88

Quote:
The biggest problem with Eminger is that he is a turnover machine. Do I really need to go into how turnovers from the backline has been a major problem with this team over the years?

Rangers fans are completely botching what this guy brings.

He was an offensive-minded d-man in junior. He was a puck rusher with good speed, had a decent shot and good offensive instincts. Kinda like Bryan Fogarty, but not as dynamic. Heck, i would say Sanguinetti played a lot like him.

He was never tough. He isnt a bruiser. he doesnt hit. He was drafted to be an offensive defenseman or PP QB, not a 6 or 7.

The two things he had going for him -- his speed and offensive game -- are dead and buried.

Anaheim is EXTREMELY thin on defense. Last year, they had Niedermayer and Whitney, yet it was Wisniewski that took over the offensive role Eminger was supposed to supply. Then they went out and got Visnovsky. Now they lose Niedermayer, you would think they would want to hold on to Eminger, even if just for depth purposes. I mean, did Fowler make him expendable? That would be sad if they automatically gave Fowler a job over Eminger without camp even starting.

In turn, Eminger was relegated to playing a defensive role and was absolutely horrendous at it. It would be like playing Hollweg on the 1st PP unit with jagr and Nylander, or Zherdev on a checking line.

Eminger was cleary the worst defenseman on the Ducks last year, who were 23rd in goals against. He was worse than Sheldon Brookbank.

So if you are the No. 6 defenseman on one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL, then yes, i would say he is one of the worst defensemen in the NHL.

Biggest liability on one of the worst defensive teams in hockey?

Traded to six teams in three years?

Actually needs to compete to be the 7th defenseman on the Rangers

Traded for Aaron Voros?

Eminger might very well be the worst player in the NHL, let alone wrost defenseman.

Maybe he was brought in as someone Torts' could point his finger at to Gilroy and say "Matt this is your future......"

malfobi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

Ducks fan here. First off, I want to say that I really wish Eminger could stick around and contribute to the Rangers somehow. It must suck for him to get bounced around this much in just 2 years.

Anyhow, he could do well in the bottom-pairing role if Tortorella keeps him ice time around 12-14 minutes per game. Even though, I kind of doubt that. It's actually not that the guy doesn't have skill at all, he does, it's just he doesn't do anything particularly well. It might be a confidence issue, but then again, he didn't show flashes of anything good this past season with the Ducks.

I hope he could be useful for you guys though, because it truly sucked watching him play for my favorite team. I just hope you guys won't have to deal with that

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:07 AM
NikC

once again another Sather reclamation project. what is with the pursual of once good/great players who's careers have gone south?

we trade Voros for this guy, does anything else need to be said?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather was looking for a 6/7 defenseman. A short term deal. Not a lot of money. Swapped Voros and shed another SPC in the process. Waived Voros three times. Instead of keeping Voros and signing another similar defenseman for the same cap hit,Sather just made a trade. Reading the responses in this thread Looking for things which aren't there.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:17 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sather was looking for a 6/7 defenseman. A short term deal. Not a lot of money. Swapped Voros and shed another SPC in the process. Waived Voros three times. Instead of keeping Voros and signing another similar defenseman for the same cap hit,Sather just made a trade. Reading the responses in this thread Looking for things which aren't there.
Over/under on how many games he has to actually play before he gets the Ozolinsh treatment around these parts?

I say it takes only 10 games for everyone to finally realize we had a d-man who was worse than either Driver or Ozolinsh.

Old
07-14-2010, 09:00 AM
malfobi88

Quote:
Over/under on how many games he has to actually play before he gets the Ozolinsh treatment around these parts?

I say it takes only 10 games for everyone to finally realize we had a d-man who was worse than either Driver or Ozolinsh.

I'll take the under if he gets paired with Gilroy or Rozsival, and the over (but not by much) if he draws Girardi.

malfobi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:18 AM
msv957

I see this as a depth signing... He is an NHL defenseman that is only 26 years old, good size 6'1 205 lbs, and could improve... He has 5 years or so of NHL experience already...

He could be a good top 6 pairing defenseman... Good trade by Slats!

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hey, at the bare minimum, at least we have a new whipping boy.
Between Rozsival, Redden & now Eminger, I would say that three's a crowd.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Mjollnir9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I see this as a depth signing... He is an NHL defenseman that is only 26 years old, good size 6'1 205 lbs, and could improve... He has 5 years or so of NHL experience already...

He could be a good top 6 pairing defenseman... Good trade by Slats!
The guy is Not improving. I honestly see this as a WolfPack signing, which makes sense.

Mjollnir9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Aside from you simply saying "he's not that bad", I'd very much like to know what you thought of his play last year. And please, be specific.
I simply think that the degree to which you pan his game is exaggerated. Is he tough? Not really. Adept offensively? Only somewhat. Defensively sound? Not really. But he's not HORRIBLE offensively, defensively or a huge pansy. He's a seventh defenseman...not sure what people expect from a seventh. It is what it is, a move to add an extra D. Now, I'd we rely on him to play 20 minutes a night, them yes, it will be a problem. But I'm fairly certain that's not why we acquired him.

Old
07-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

Roszival's turnovers

There are only 2 dmen in the league that played 80 or more games, and had less giveaways than Rozsival. 28 in 82 games is ****ing stellar considering how many minutes a night he was playing. Get your facts straight.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
There are only 2 dmen in the league that played 80 or more games, and had less giveaways than Rozsival. 28 in 82 games is ****ing stellar considering how many minutes a night he was playing. Get your facts straight.
People see what they want to see, and ignore the stats staring them right in the face. Its aggravating.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

What is the nature of your bashing of Eminger?

We all know he's sucks. The guy was just traded for Aaron ****ing Voros.

He's an extra body. Nobody here is saying this guy is exceptional in any way. The guys been bounced around from team to team for a reason. We know this.

The guys here that don't mind the trade understand we gave up a player who is actually less benefitial to our roster than the scrub you're having a field-day with.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote