HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Sign Nick Dodge

Old
07-12-2010, 03:48 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

vCash: 500
Canes Sign Nick Dodge

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534243

Quote:
Jason Karmanos, Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with center Nick Dodge on a one-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay Dodge $500,000 at the NHL level and $55,000 at the minor-league level in 2010-11, with a guarantee of $75,000.

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 04:48 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Good signing. He made some great strides last year. Look forward to seeing him on the Checkers next season.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Whats the chance he makes the 4th line on the Canes out of camp?

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
Highly dependent on what style of 4th line we plan to employ. Dodge is undersized for a conventional crash and bang line we've been after for some time now. However, with our recent penchant for wanting hockey players on all 4 lines including guys like Aucoin, Bayda, Dwyer, etc. he could easily fit a role like that one.

I think it comes down to Blanchard and Dodge for the final forward spot. At least I hope that is the case. I think with all these contracts being handed out where there is an NHL salary, an AHL salary, and a minimum salary it stands to reason that Carolina thinks that there will be a revolving door there. So far, all three of Blanchard, Dodge, and Samson were signed to deals like that.

In the past, we've rarely used that strategy. That speaks to how far our system has come that we have players that we're afraid of losing to free agency if we don't offer them some incentive or a carrot of NHL time to chase.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 05:42 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
I can't speak for myself since I've never really seen him play, but it seems that a lot of people think he's pretty close to being an effective NHL'er. If he doesn't make it this year, he should definitely be on for the 2011-12 season

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:34 PM
karparules

I'm very glad that we got Dodge under contract for another year. I get the feeling that he is the type of player that could easily step into an NHL 4th line job. He hasn't missed a game from injury in 2 pro seasons and his point production is very consistent in both years. If you add in his fantastic plus/minus, this is a guy that is willing to do the little things to make a career for himself. I'm looking forward to seeing him in camp this year and would love to see him show up early for "Camp Brind'Amour".

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Denzil
NOLU

This makes me happy... Dodge was one of the unsung heroes of last year's Albany team, by far the most responsible member of it - good faceoff man, scores key goals, and rarely makes a mistake. I think he absolutely should make the big team this year.

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
Excellent. I really hope he gets an opportunity. Oddly enough, out of all our prospects Dodge is one of, if not my favorite. I just like the game he plays, from everything I hear and have heard about him the past few years. I have really been rooting for him. He seems to have adjusted to the AHL with relative ease, so we'll see if he can translate his game one step further. Would love for him to earn and get an opportunity here in Carolina. I think he could be a great asset to our penalty kill and defensive game, especially with a guy like Sutter. Could be a downright lethal pairing defensively.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Mogwai

I went to gradeschool and highschool with Nick. I can tell you he's an outstanding individual, a great athlete and a competitive guy.

I am glad to see he signed to an NHL roster, he deserves it.

Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHML View Post
This makes me happy... Dodge was one of the unsung heroes of last year's Albany team, by far the most responsible member of it - good faceoff man, scores key goals, and rarely makes a mistake. I think he absolutely should make the big team this year.
Apparently great in room too and leads by example with work ethic. Never bad to have that on any team.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Depending on which route we take for the 4th line, a combination of Blanchard - Dodge - Kostopoulos would be alright, I would think. I'm really unsure where Samsonov fits in here, although if someone doesn't perform at camp (Tlusty, Boychuk, etc) or Ruutu isn't 100%, a spot or two could open up possibly for him, if not one of the other kids. Dwyer is pretty average for me (As Ryan Bayda was. I think Dodge could be the better option), though it seemed as though Karmanos loved him based on his comments a little while back when he was in town. Dwyer may get the 4th line spot before Dodge and if Nash doesn't choose to sign, could very well end up as the 3rd line center.

Jokinen - Staal - Cole
Boychuk - Sutter - Ruutu
Tlusty - Nash - LaRose
Blanchard - Dodge - Kostopoulos

Samsonov
Dwyer

Old
07-14-2010, 12:36 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

I'll take Osala and Dwyer over Blanchard and Dodge.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
I'll take Osala and Dwyer over Blanchard and Dodge.
Dwyer is more broken in, if you will, he just doesn't do much for my liking (a la Ryan Bayda). Osala, I would most certainly take over the mentioned Blanchard and Dodge, however I don't want to put him in a 4th line checking role. If he isn't quite polished enough for a top 9 role i'd give him time in Charlotte to hopefully smooth out his offensive game then hopefully he proves worthy of a top 9 scoring role in the near future. If not, the 4th line may be his calling, we'll see.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-14-2010 at 01:40 PM.