HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going back to hockey after running a triathlon

Old
07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Going back to hockey after running a triathlon

I haven't played hockey for a couple months while training for a triathlon. Since I accomplished that goal on Sunday, I'm looking forward to stepping back on the ice after a few more days of rest. What I'm wondering is if anyone else has done this and what I can expect to have to do to get back into hockey shape? Does the triathlon training help or hurt?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I haven't played hockey for a couple months while training for a triathlon. Since I accomplished that goal on Sunday, I'm looking forward to stepping back on the ice after a few more days of rest. What I'm wondering is if anyone else has done this and what I can expect to have to do to get back into hockey shape? Does the triathlon training help or hurt?
Professional athlete, hurt short term, break evenish long term

High School athlete, break even, help...maybe

Obviously if you were overweight or out of shape it would help, but if already good in endurance probably not

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:33 PM
raganblink

^guessing he's not a professional athlete. A) they wouldn't post here and if they did they wouldn't be regulars. B) if he was a professional athlete, he'd have professional help, which would tell him the correct answer

you undoubtly built muscle while training. Even with the side affects of not skating, it will help you tremendously, even if you we're in good/great shape. thus therefore you will be noticably faster, and despite not playing for a long time you will be faster than before.

your shot and skating at first will most probably suffer, however, should not take long (couple skates) to get back to where it was

basically, you're fine, you'll be better. just go out and play.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have a couple teammates that do triathlons...they've been training like mad and both have gotten MUCH better in terms of balance and strength on ice. Their conditioning is phenomenal too, never out of breath.

Of course, my overweight, huffing and puffing ass still scores twice as many points as the two of them put together, so you should still probably work on your shooting, stickhandling, and skating. They skate well but neither have gotten any faster at all, and of course it didn't impact their shooting or puck handling.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:27 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Professional athlete, hurt short term, break evenish long term

High School athlete, break even, help...maybe

Obviously if you were overweight or out of shape it would help, but if already good in endurance probably not
Somewhere between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have a couple teammates that do triathlons...they've been training like mad and both have gotten MUCH better in terms of balance and strength on ice. Their conditioning is phenomenal too, never out of breath.

Of course, my overweight, huffing and puffing ass still scores twice as many points as the two of them put together, so you should still probably work on your shooting, stickhandling, and skating. They skate well but neither have gotten any faster at all, and of course it didn't impact their shooting or puck handling.
Good to know - I only know former teammates who have done marathons and it didn't seem to help that much. I'm hoping all the biking and swimming will definitely help out more, but we'll see.

Old
07-14-2010, 03:34 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Somewhere between the two.

Good to know - I only know former teammates who have done marathons and it didn't seem to help that much. I'm hoping all the biking and swimming will definitely help out more, but we'll see.
don't see how training for a triathlon would be low on " the good training list" for any other sport

unless you can start roller blading or skating as part of your triathalon training.. i think triathlon training and maybe working on your upper body body a bit (considering you have big legs from triathlon training.. ? )

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:08 AM
izzy3

triatlon develops aerob capacity, which is a good base for any sport. on the other hand you're mostly at 90-100% speed in a hockey game which is not aerob, but anaerob effort, so triatlon did not help there. if you built more muscle on your upper body than on your legs that might throw your balance off a bit, but could be of help when battling for pucks (you trained the slow twich fibers not the fast ones we need in hockey).

even then, a solid aerob base and some lean muscle puts you in a better position to perform than most beer league guys...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That makes a lot of sense and is exactly what happened with my teammates. They both got lean and strengthened their core muscles but neither got faster at all.

Reminds me of Gary Roberts criticizing the Leafs for doing bike and cardio training in the summer instead of weights and squats, and then his guy Stamkos kicked ass while the Leafs sucked.

Still, I've got the muscle and the speed and power but my conditioning is awful, so starting next week I'm hitting the bike 3x a week and doing core exercises for balance.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Gino 14

Although the cross training you've been doing won't "hurt" your hockey, I'm sure that your legs and upper body strength aren't as good as they can be for hockey. Triathletes don't do the heavy training on the legs and upper body that hockey uses, it's detrimental to them, the extra muscle mass is dead weight that would still have to be moved and it somewhat hinders running strides and swimming strokes.

The bike riding is a plus for you.

Welcome back to the hockey world.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Wease

The only thing I would worry about while training for that is the running, which is bad on your knees and could be a problem at some point. That's my personal opinion and also why I do no running for hockey training. Stationary bike, elliptical, and lifting only...

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Toydarian

Just out of curiosity what type of triathlon did you partake in (distances)?

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 05:17 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Although the cross training you've been doing won't "hurt" your hockey, I'm sure that your legs and upper body strength aren't as good as they can be for hockey. Triathletes don't do the heavy training on the legs and upper body that hockey uses, it's detrimental to them, the extra muscle mass is dead weight that would still have to be moved and it somewhat hinders running strides and swimming strokes.

The bike riding is a plus for you.

Welcome back to the hockey world.
That's very true and basically the big reason I am asking.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Just out of curiosity what type of triathlon did you partake in (distances)?
Olympic (1.5k swim, 40k bike and 10k run).

Old
07-14-2010, 08:06 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
That's very true and basically the big reason I am asking.

Olympic (1.5k swim, 40k bike and 10k run).
Is this a serious question or did you just want to tell everyone you participated in a tri? I'm assuming the latter so I'll just say congrats man that's a big accomplishment.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:17 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Is this a serious question or did you just want to tell everyone you participated in a tri? I'm assuming the latter so I'll just say congrats man that's a big accomplishment.
Serious question. I've asked a lot of teammates and other friends if they have done it or know someone who has done it and since that drew a blank figured one of the thousands of HF members would have been in the same boat and could tell me what to expect (both positively and negatively) from their own experience. I'll take your congrats, but since apparently no one on HF has done this either (and can therefore give advice), I'll just find out the hard way and adjust on the fly.

Old
07-14-2010, 09:32 PM
PuckHogs29

Not a triathlon, but after basic training with the army my hockey game picked up tremendously. After all that hockey wasn't a workout anymore. When I moved on to being a weekend warrior things all balanced out and hockey became a challenge again. Competing in something like that shouldn't impact you aside from losing some of your mechanics and timing, but that'll come back.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:54 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Serious question. I've asked a lot of teammates and other friends if they have done it or know someone who has done it and since that drew a blank figured one of the thousands of HF members would have been in the same boat and could tell me what to expect (both positively and negatively) from their own experience. I'll take your congrats, but since apparently no one on HF has done this either (and can therefore give advice), I'll just find out the hard way and adjust on the fly.
That probably means you're in better shape than 99% of the peeps in the forums and your circle of friends. Therefore you should be the one giving advice on how to set and reach goals. The only experience I can draw on personally is riding my bike to work every day for the last couple years which has helped tremendously with hockey.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 05:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
Not a triathlon, but after basic training with the army my hockey game picked up tremendously. After all that hockey wasn't a workout anymore. When I moved on to being a weekend warrior things all balanced out and hockey became a challenge again. Competing in something like that shouldn't impact you aside from losing some of your mechanics and timing, but that'll come back.
This is about as close as I could explain it. The little things like timing are off but I feel better and stronger.