HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting your legs for late games

Old
07-15-2010, 07:07 AM
WickedWrister

vCash: 500
Getting your legs for late games

Okay here is the deal. Most of my teams games are late at night, usually past 9:30. I'm a pretty good skater, my speed is definitely my biggest attribute. I don't have any problem with dead legs or slow acceleration during afternoon stick times. I know stick/puck is different than a game in terms of speed, but the way my legs feel from sticktime to a game is literally night and day. I literally can't go from a stop to a top speed anywhere close that I can during the day.

I'm thinking that it might be my diet or sleep schedule. I usually have tiny breakfasts & small lunches, and then have huge dinners. I wake up at 6:30 AM everyday. Any suggestions on how I can improve my legs for games in the evening?

Should I have big breakfasts on gamedays instead?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 08:28 AM
vivianmb

take a nap at 7pm wake up at 8:30 pm then drink some tea(3 or 4 bags in it) and away you go .

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would try:

- eat a larger breakfast and lunch, then a very light dinner as early as possible so it's not close to game time (seems to slow me down)

- have some caffeine on your way to the game

- get there early, then do some jogging, jumping jacks, or jumping rope to get blood going to the legs

- you could try a nap in the late afternoon, but I hate naps personally

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:06 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

- get there early, then do some jogging, jumping jacks, or jumping rope to get blood going to the legs
This. I have a desk job and find that I stink on weeknight games. I find I play the best when I've had some activity during the day. One of my best games this session was when I spent an entire Saturday working in the yard. I was well warmed up. Last week I had to take a tent down, in blistering heat, in between work and my game and that turned out to be one of my better games.

Also as others have mentioned, don't eat a huge dinner. Eat well throughout the day and a normal to slightly smaller dinner. Make sure you hydrate well throughut the day, not jsut right before the game.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:34 AM
noobman

My late-game ritual is as follows:

- Nap after work/school (probably the most important thing)
- Wake up about 3hrs before the game, eat pasta
- Do some light exercising (walk around, jog a little, stretch) before heading out to the rink

The two things you want to be wary of are sleep inertia and oversleeping. I've accidentally woken up 30 minutes before the start of a late game and suffered the consequences of yawning all the way to the game and on the bench. When it works well, it's great!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:48 AM
pucko

It is amazing how people can take a nap during the day. Maybe that's the key to success in hockey. I tried that many times but I just can't fall asleep. Not even close. We had a guy at work who was recently fired because he got caught sleeping at his desk too many times. He could make a great hockey player

pucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 11:03 AM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucko View Post
It is amazing how people can take a nap during the day. Maybe that's the key to success in hockey. I tried that many times but I just can't fall asleep. Not even close. We had a guy at work who was recently fired because he got caught sleeping at his desk too many times. He could make a great hockey player
Yeah, napping is kind of a problem for me too. I'll be tired as hell during the day, but couldn't fall asleep if I wanted to.

Good advice on the exercise prior to games... how much exercise are we talking about here? 15 mins of jogging? I know that I've seen videos of players on a stationary bike a couple of hours prior to the game.

Old
07-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Blazer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Yeah, napping is kind of a problem for me too. I'll be tired as hell during the day, but couldn't fall asleep if I wanted to.

Good advice on the exercise prior to games... how much exercise are we talking about here? 15 mins of jogging? I know that I've seen videos of players on a stationary bike a couple of hours prior to the game.
10 to 15 minutes should do you good. Your muscles will work better if they are 10 degrees warmer than usual. So, just do some steady jogging for 10-15 and you should be set. Also, make sure you stretch after. That's a big one.

Blazer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
I would try:

- eat a larger breakfast and lunch, then a very light dinner as early as possible so it's not close to game time (seems to slow me down)

- have some caffeine on your way to the game

- you could try a nap in the late afternoon, but I hate naps personally
Naps are great if they work for you, but stay away from caffiene whenever possible, it's just a crutch, not a solution to the problem.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've read several places that say a cup of coffee is a heck of a sports aid. I don't do energy drinks, just a small cup of coffee or a bit of diet soda.

As for napping, I either wake up really groggy or with severe panic and anxiety. For whatever reason it always makes me feel awful. Several times post-nap it's taken me a couple hours to get back to feeling normal. I just can't do it.

Old
07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Renneys Revenge

I have read that a lot of NHL players have a routine of taking an afternoon nap then eating and relaxing a bit before the game. Personally naps work as long as I keep them to around an hour, otherwise I'm shaking off sleep up until the beginning of the game. If I ever have coffee I'll never have it right before I play (maybe an hour or two before), but I guess that really depends on how much you drink it regularly and your tolerance.

Renneys Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:17 PM
sherwood sniper

Some random pointers:

Don't eat meals after 2.5 hours till game time. Snacks are fine.

A jump rope should be your hockey bags best friend. They should go everywhere together.

Get your legs warm, then stretch.

Plenty of carbs the day before the game. Pastas my fav.....

This is by far the most important part of my routine on game day. You MUST take a pre-game Dump. If you don't get the $hit out of you, you're gonna be exactly that, $hit! lol. Seriously though.....

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
RichterLundqvist

The obvious answer here is to quit your job/school. You will then be free to base your sleep schedule around your hockey games. I mean really; whats more important here?

RichterLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:10 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterLundqvist View Post
The obvious answer here is to quit your job/school. You will then be free to base your sleep schedule around your hockey games. I mean really; whats more important here?
This...people just have some warped value system if they think putting food on the table for their kids is in any way more important than hockey...honey, please pass another mayonnaise sandwich, please...

Without a 20 minute nap after work and before playing, hockey would not be possible. All you people who do not need to nap after a full workday, please pm me what you do for a living, I need to look up less stressful careers...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I won't PM you, but sitting at a desk all day isn't very stressful

Old
07-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
I won't PM you, but sitting at a desk all day isn't very stressful
Hate to say it but that can be one of the most stressful jobs.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 07:02 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucko View Post
I don't know about you, but in my line of work I usually come home exhausted. It's either a lazy sort of tiredness from staring at the ceiling all day, or a legitimately fatigued sort of tiredness from stressing out over things. There isn't much middle ground.

Old
07-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Pierre Gotye

I've tried a few different things. Making sure you hydrate well and eat well during game day's is critical.

I try to eat about 2 hours out from gametime. Maybe different for some, but I get kind of run down during a long day's work. Eating always gets me peppy.

Things I eat:
-Chicken or:
-A good cut a lean beef.
-Pasta, spaghetti, ravioli or Gnocchi are preferable.
-Salad.

One thing I am going to try is to eat whole wheat bread and load it up with Nature's energy burst: Honey. I have heard Honey is great for sports, best part of all it's all natural.

I used to drink Redbull before the games, or take B Vitamins. But Redbull made me sweat like crazy, and B vitamins gave me a funny feeling.

Salad is a good choice, because it's easily digestible, and has some natural uppers in it.

I know some guys don't care and eat junk food before games...pizza, hamburgers...I don't do that stuff, it bogs me down too much.

I am a defenseman, so, after a long day of work, I get worn out quickly if I don't eat right.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Skraut

My problem is coming down after a late game. Getting home at midnight with the blood still pumping and then not getting to sleep until 2:30 or 3:00 am sucks when you have to get up at 5:00.

It doesn't matter if I nap before the game or not so I usually do nap, because it helps for the game, but then I just can't sleep afterwards.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:23 AM
WickedWrister

Lol for those wondering, yes I work at an office and yes it can be very stressful. Staring at a computer for 7 hours can be fatiguing.

I'll try jogging about an hours before my game on Saturday, let you guys know how it works.

Old
07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Blazer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
My problem is coming down after a late game. Getting home at midnight with the blood still pumping and then not getting to sleep until 2:30 or 3:00 am sucks when you have to get up at 5:00.

It doesn't matter if I nap before the game or not so I usually do nap, because it helps for the game, but then I just can't sleep afterwards.
Yeah, that's normal though. After any sort of physical activity and your muscles are fatigued, you can't sleep until they are fully recovered and when you are really tired after a long game it takes longer and longer. My advice to you would be to do a cool down run after your game. I know it's late at that point, but a good 15-20 minute jog should help, but I'll make no guarantees.

Blazer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:32 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

I can't help you there.... I'm always wired after hockey games!! It kind of sucks that I play pickup at midnight, too.

Old
07-16-2010, 10:38 AM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Lol for those wondering, yes I work at an office and yes it can be very stressful. Staring at a computer for 7 hours can be fatiguing.

I'll try jogging about an hours before my game on Saturday, let you guys know how it works.
I'm in the same boat, in an office for 8 hours a day.

When I get up and around and do stuff during the workday, I find that I "warm up" in a game much easier. Stuff includes:

- Parking far away and walking a 1/2 mile to/from work.
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator (working on the 11th floor has it's advantages!)
- Going for hour-long walks/hikes during lunch (Edmonton's river valley is awesome for this).
- Grabbing a coworker or two, walking to the park, and playing catch / frisbee / etc during coffee breaks.
- Doing stretching exercises a couple times a day.

I can't get *too* intense during the work day, because I sweat a lot and there's no showers at work. But keeping the blood flowing all day definitely helps me in the evenings.

A lot can be said for warming up right before a game too, but that's already been said.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 10:13 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I can't help you there.... I'm always wired after hockey games!! It kind of sucks that I play pickup at midnight, too.
a couple of post game beers help with that.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote