HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Why Why Why!!!!!

Old
07-15-2010, 12:48 PM
ybsad

vCash: 500
Why Why Why!!!!!

Why would anyone want to break up the best third line in the NHL (imho). Kelly, Neil and Ruutu put up 6 goals and 13 pts., in 6 playoff games (when it counts). I keep hearing people wanting to trade 1 or more of these guys. This is the best spent 5.5 million in the league. Not only do they put up points (2.15 per game) these past playoffs, but are one of the best defensive lines out there.

ybsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:55 PM
SENSfreak_03

Because a line won't stay together forever. Last years chemistry isn't guaranteed next year.

Plus a guy like Ruutu, who has steadily improved since signing here, coming off a career year, on an expiring contract could fetch more then he's actually worth on the trade market.

You have to explore avenues to make the team better. Realistically, now is probably the best time to move Kelly and Ruutu, in terms of value on the trade market.

Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but Murray should be exploring every option to make the team better.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:56 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Is WHY! a question?

You might want to ease up off the thread making and just respond to whoever posted what you're trying to argue against. You have a pretty ridiculous thread to post ratio right now.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
topshelfie

Regin Spezza Alfredsson
Kovalev Fisher Michalek
Ruutu Kelly Neil
Foligno Smith Winchester
Shannon

Phillips Gonchar
Kuba Karlsson
Cowen Carkner
Campoli Lee

Leclaire Elliot

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:12 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil is NOT the league's best 5.5M by a longshot. They have good chemistry, but Neil is overpaid by .5M or so, Kelly is a bit above the average for players of his caliber and Ruutu...well, he's more or less paid according to market value.

You break them up because the sum of all parts is a lot more valuable than the individuals, and their stats are inflated. Trade them while they're still worth something on the open market. I'd trade, in order of preference, Kelly, then Neil, then Ruutu.

hockeyalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:16 PM
topshelfie

haha

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:36 PM
kyle747

with an unexpectedly rising cap keeping theses guys makes sense to me

I was one of those who agitated to dump Kelly, but I've changed my mind. I want to keep him now.

These three seem to play well together to me, and when something is working well, I'm not a big advocate of change.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:42 PM
ybsad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Is WHY! a question?

You might want to ease up off the thread making and just respond to whoever posted what you're trying to argue against. You have a pretty ridiculous thread to post ratio right now.
Excuse me for joining this site.

I was wondering about our prospects weight gain and started a thread. I didn't feel that there was any thing posted that warranted a responce.

I wanted to know if Mattius Karlsson was still in our system so I started a thread. Should I be posting "Thanks" after each reply?

I've been reading posts about trading guys that I think we should keep, so I put my opinion out there.

HAve a nice day

Old
07-15-2010, 01:45 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsad View Post
Excuse me for joining this site.

I was wondering about our prospects weight gain and started a thread. I didn't feel that there was any thing posted that warranted a responce.

I wanted to know if Mattius Karlsson was still in our system so I started a thread. Should I be posting "Thanks" after each reply?

I've been reading posts about trading guys that I think we should keep, so I put my opinion out there.

HAve a nice day
There's a prospects thread right at the top of the Sens board that is perfect for your first two needs. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just letting you know how things generally work around here. It makes the jobs of the hard working moderators much easier and we avoid the clutter.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
ybsad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
There's a prospects thread right at the top of the Sens board that is perfect for your first two needs. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just letting you know how things generally work around here. It makes the jobs of the hard working moderators much easier and we avoid the clutter.
You may not be trying but..............!

Old
07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Wham City

Best third line in hockey only to self-congratulating Sens fans.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
Best third line in hockey only to self-congratulating Sens fans.
We overrate the Ruutu-Kelly-Neil combo tremendously around here. I agree they had a good season, but to call them the "best 3rd line in hockey" only leads me to believe people haven't examined the rosters of other teams very much.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:28 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
We overrate the Ruutu-Kelly-Neil combo tremendously around here. I agree they had a good season, but to call them the "best 3rd line in hockey" only leads me to believe people haven't examined the rosters of other teams very much.
They were called the best 4th line in Hockey. Personally I'd prefer they be the BEST at something rather than settling for a 'pretty good' 3rd line. Therefore, when I'm playing the armchair coaching game, I'm always going to pencil them in as the 4th line disregarding any concept of TOI per game.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Leachman

Best 4th line maybe.

Leachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Carlton Orr*

I wouldn't mind dealing Kelly, and we need Neil, he's one of 2 players on our team who can scrap.

Carlton Orr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:27 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
LOL best third line in hockey? You serious?

Best fourth line in hockey, yea i agree. Havlat played on the majority of the 3rd line 2 years ago in Chicago. Briere was on the 3rd for Philly.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
Because a line won't stay together forever. Last years chemistry isn't guaranteed next year.

Plus a guy like Ruutu, who has steadily improved since signing here, coming off a career year, on an expiring contract could fetch more then he's actually worth on the trade market.

You have to explore avenues to make the team better. Realistically, now is probably the best time to move Kelly and Ruutu, in terms of value on the trade market.

Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but Murray should be exploring every option to make the team better.
Crap. Ruttu and Kelly are extremely effective 3rd liners 12-15 minute a game players on defence and offence. They were the strength of the team last season. You win and the Sens went on their long streaks due to the effectiveness of Kelly and Ruttu and Neil. If we had 6 awesome offensive forwards maybe we could move one of Kelly or Ruutu but we don't. They are the streength we have compared to other teams. We have a worse 2nd line than most teams and a far better checking/3rd line thaqn almost all teams. Subtracting that strength makes us far weaker.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil is NOT the league's best 5.5M by a longshot. They have good chemistry, but Neil is overpaid by .5M or so, Kelly is a bit above the average for players of his caliber and Ruutu...well, he's more or less paid according to market value.

You break them up because the sum of all parts is a lot more valuable than the individuals, and their stats are inflated. Trade them while they're still worth something on the open market. I'd trade, in order of preference, Kelly, then Neil, then Ruutu.
I like Cody Bass and Zack Smith and Winchester and Keller and so on. But Kelly and Neil and Ruttu are top echlon 3rd liner checking forwards in the entire NHL. Neil regularly is among the top checking forwards in the NHL and is a top heavyweight fighter. Kelly is a top of the line defensive forward. Ruttu is among the top 5 or so pests in the NHL and is a top PK forward. The fact is the 3rd line we had was the best thing we had going for us last year. We had a better 3rd line than almost every other team in the NHL. We had a far weaker 2nd line than most. A weak overall defence. Our third line was strong. Our 4th line was stronger due top the strength of our 3rd line.

I can see the fact that our third line madde a ton of cap space. But they were more than effective in doing so. We have Alffie and Spezza, and Kovalev at times. Otherwise we are relying on Foligno and Regin or trade deadline guys in our top 6. I love Regin. But Kelly, Neil, Ruttu are proven.. long proven assets.. top echlon role players. For mere salary getting rid of any of them is stupid IMO. Kelly is a proven top echlon deffensive forward. Neil is a top agitator and top heavyweight in the NHL. Ruutu is a more controlled Avery with offensive upside coming off his best two seasons in the NHL. Moving any of them would be foolhardy. Zach Smith is awesome but in no way could he really replace any of Kelly, Neil or Ruutu.

Old
07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
Really? I disagree. If they are not the beest third line in a 30 team NHL they are top 3 or 4. Make a short list of the best agitators, pure defensive centres and top heavy weight fighters that play 10 minutes a night. The list is not long at all. And we have all of them on one line. Or let's take the season and look at it. Did any of those three have a lot of off nights? Did they ffail to contribute in very many games? I watched the season and almost all the games. The Kelly line was taking the play to the other team in almost every single game. The Sens were very inconsitant. They would be world beaters or be terrible in some games. The Kelly line consistently held the play when they were on the ice. Game in game out. Winning or losing streak.

I find it hard to believe any Sens fan that watched the team regularly all season has a big problem with anyone on the Kelly line.

Old
07-15-2010, 04:14 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsad View Post
Why would anyone want to break up the best third line in the NHL (imho).
FOURTH line.

Remember all the "we're spending 5.8 million on our 4th line!" and "but it's the best 4th line in the NHL"

Which is all true. If you bump it up to the 3rd line, than it's not the best anymore as some teams have 3rd lines with some way more skilled guys on it.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
jbeck5

Your top 2 lines should be skilled guys who are proven to produce.
Your third line should have good defensive, but with offensive potential...like foligno-regin- something...
You're FOURTH line it ruutu-kelly-neil.

I'm sorry, but they should always be penciled as the fourth line. That's what they are. They're the energy line. Energy lines are 4th lines.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 04:56 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Orr View Post
I wouldn't mind dealing Kelly, and we need Neil, he's one of 2 players on our team who can scrap.
Always the #1 priority for the man they call Carlton Orr

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 05:11 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
they're the best 4th line in hockey, and the highest paid one too (but i'm fine with that).
The main pieces that people want moved are:

Kelly: because smith can replace him for much cheaper.
Ruutu: because his contract is up and we need some wing spots to bring in younger guys.

I like ruutu, and think if we want to bring in youngins, bring them in on the 3rd or 2nd line, so i only agree with trading kelly.

07-15-2010, 07:31 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Why not!

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 09:48 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
they're the best 4th line in hockey, and the highest paid one too (but i'm fine with that).
The main pieces that people want moved are:

Kelly: because smith can replace him for much cheaper.
Ruutu: because his contract is up and we need some wing spots to bring in younger guys.

I like ruutu, and think if we want to bring in youngins, bring them in on the 3rd or 2nd line, so i only agree with trading kelly.
who are the younger guys for Ruutu's spot?

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote