HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cage/Visor combo setup

Old
07-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Cowbell232

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I always thought cages were no big deal, coming from football cages, hockey cages look tiny. Then I skated in a half shield. Holy crap, what a difference. I hate the feeling of the chin cup so my cage is always loose, but I hadn't realized how much that hinders your peripheral vision. Also, cages are so heavy (OK, not really, but after the half shield, they are bricks).
100% agree. I just played my first full game Tuesday with a half-shield visor. The difference is absolutely huge between a cage and the visor. The light weight feel, the clear vision, and lack of a chin cup...

I did however get high sticked to the visor, right infront of my eye. So at least I know it works as advertised... haha

I looked at a combo-cage, and it just didn't make sense. If you don't like the bars but want full protection, get a fishbowl.

Old
07-16-2010, 06:32 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
They will fog up, and if you don't store it well, it will get scratched and just ****

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Be sure to check out the 9500 cage too.

Last game I played a guy lost a tooth from a high stick...he was the only guy wearing a visor. And that's just a friendly pickup game.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 01:23 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I did however get high sticked to the visor, right infront of my eye. So at least I know it works as advertised... haha
Visors aren't perfect for high-stick protection. For every 5 guys who get hit with a stick on the outside of the visor, there'll be one guy who gets a stick stuck between the visor and his face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Q-7l2CsQQ

In that case, Sedin was lucky that the stick went right though. In other visor setups, there's a good chance that the blade would be stopped right at eye level, and the guy would jerk his stick around trying to get it out before he realizes what he's doing. Guess what that would do to your eyeballs.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:08 PM
MNWild9

I went with an Oakley Pro Stock visor I used to wear a Bauer Aviator Visor before that i wore a Z Leader Full mask and before that I used a Jofa mask so I've tried them all. I like the Oakley Visor over all I have had no problems I bought it on ebay and what i paid for it was well worth the price.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:01 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Visors aren't perfect for high-stick protection. For every 5 guys who get hit with a stick on the outside of the visor, there'll be one guy who gets a stick stuck between the visor and his face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Q-7l2CsQQ

In that case, Sedin was lucky that the stick went right though. In other visor setups, there's a good chance that the blade would be stopped right at eye level, and the guy would jerk his stick around trying to get it out before he realizes what he's doing. Guess what that would do to your eyeballs.
I hope Kopitar got a high sticking penalty for that. That's the most black and white I have ever seen.

Seriously, Sedin is pretty lucky he didn't get seriously hurt in that deal.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:30 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
I hope Kopitar got a high sticking penalty for that. That's the most black and white I have ever seen.

Seriously, Sedin is pretty lucky he didn't get seriously hurt in that deal.
Actually the refs let it slide somehow. Totally not helping the Kings Conspiracy at all, but still funny considering he didn't get hurt and the Nucks won.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 05:09 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

The bars really dont bother me at all.... and the full cage gives better protection i think, a puck could shatter the shield, but wont break the bars.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 08:00 PM
adamp12345

i used cage/visor combo and they fog up like crazy but that was like 6 years ago idunno how they are now

adamp12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:25 PM
gogio57

I use a fishbowl now and am going to make the switch to visor / cage combo, im on ly making the switch cause i like the look amd still want mouth protection, ill let you know how it goes, but i use fog spray and have zero problem with fog, wear a skull cap so i dont get sweat in my face and keep it stored in a pillow case so it doesnt scratch, its more upkeep that a cage but its worth it on the ice.

gogio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Does anyone have opinions of the Bauer 920 Visor/Cage combo?

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=B920CD

I currently have a Bauer 4500 cage but the bars are way thick and I have virtually no peripheral vision. I frequently lose the puck and pass to the wrong team because of it (i'm still a noob to hockey too, so it could be that i just suck). Would the Bauer 920 help out in the vision department much? Also, does anyone have experience with it and any comments on if it fogs up much or not?

I have no insurance so I need to stick with full face protection, so no visors.

Thanks - Kevin
My friend has that visor/cage combo and it's great. I use the Bauer Concept 2 full shield and from a vision standpoint, both offer great visibility. My friend and I just started playing roller hockey and it really helped us see the game better.

I never got to use it a real game situation, but just running and moving around in the 920 there might be a bit more airflow but I really couldn't tell that great of a difference.

In either case, some fog free spray will go a long way. My concept 2 only fogs up slightly around the nose area and actually, I don't think I've ever seen my friend's fog up during a game. For context, we play outdoors in sunny Southern California.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:34 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamp12345 View Post
i used cage/visor combo and they fog up like crazy but that was like 6 years ago idunno how they are now
I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago because it still fogs like crazy. I have tried every trick to try to keep it from fogging but it still does. I don't like the bars I have currently because I lose the puck through them. I refuse to go with just a half shield.

Has anybody tried this http://www.epuck.com/bau109900cg.html? Does the "true color" and the oval really help that much? My current cage is black.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The only time I've had a problem with a cage being distracting was a cheap 1500 cage with black bars, it was terrible. The 9900/9500 is night and day compared to older cages. The bars are much, much thinner, and it's much lighter than the old cages. Also, it's a non-distracting chrome finish which I like much better than black.

I bought an Itech fishbowl and used it for two practices. It was just a mess of fog, couldn't see anything out of it, and even when it was clean it was all distorted. Swapped it for the 9500/9900 cage and will never go back.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote