HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2010, 10:30 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
1-1 at Half

Heres a stream http://www.justin.tv/psn302

Old
07-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Unstable

vCash: 500
Good road effort, certainly better than earlier in the season. Beautiful ball from Mwanga for the goal. Chivas tying it up seemed inevitable, they had possession for 10 minutes and our guys looked gassed.

In general, this squad is so young, they're continuing to look gassed a lot. I'm hoping that playing a lot of home games will give them a little extra adrenaline to make it through those final minutes.

And something has to be done about the road kit. Good concept, but the gold just does not work as a primary color. At all.

Old
07-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Watched the 6/27 game on TV with a group of other fans, was surprised at how enjoyable it was to watch the game. It's hard to hate a team with a guy whose name is just "Fred" on it.

Old
07-10-2010, 05:45 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Union are up 1-0 on San Jose. Fred scored.

http://phitv.neulion.com/mlsvp/conso...d=1880&id=6705

Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 07-10-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old
07-10-2010, 05:56 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Union really looked good in that first half. Unfortunately, besides Califf, or defense is awful.

Old
07-15-2010, 01:14 PM
IrishSniper87

The summer transfer window opened today.

There is talk that the Union are looking at Clarence Seedorf for one of their Designated Player spots (who would be exempt from the cap), as well as looking for other improvements (not big names).

Rumors mentioned Ronaldinho to LA (I think he signed already elsewhere, not sure) and Beckham being moved from the Galaxy. Other rumors have Landon Donovan being transferred to England.

Theirry Henry was signed by the NY Red Bulls yesterday.

Old
07-15-2010, 01:17 PM
JSTAFF

I was at the Union vs Celtic FC game last night. Holy **** talk about boredom. I almost fell asleep 5 times. Friendly's are the WORST

Old
07-15-2010, 01:21 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I was at the Union vs Celtic FC game last night. Holy **** talk about boredom. I almost fell asleep 5 times. Friendly's are the WORST
I wanted to go to that, but I had an exam this morning and work, plus I couldnt find anyone else interested in going.

I hope the Union grab an attacking midfielder and a defender. I kind of doubt they look to make a splash in big name players because of their current record and money.

However, grabbing a solid Euro player with a popular name might put the Union in the right direction with jersey sales and some news time.

Other rumors mentioned Rual being transferred to MLS. Or Ljungberg being available due to unrest with the Sounders.

Old
07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Thats soccer for ya.

Old
07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Fred for Messi (e4)

Old
07-15-2010, 02:52 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
Fred for Messi (e4)

EDIT: If MLS is going to succeed, they need to be a retirement league for a few years, draw in some more "names" while developing their own players.

It wouldn't hurt if MLS started generating a lot more revenue as well and could actually spend money on player salaries, which would help bring over more talent.

The MLS salary cap is a shade over $2 mill. $2MILLION! That's like Randy Jones and Riley Cote right there for the entire team. Ridiculous.

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 07-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old
07-16-2010, 07:51 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

EDIT: If MLS is going to succeed, they need to be a retirement league for a few years, draw in some more "names" while developing their own players.

It wouldn't hurt if MLS started generating a lot more revenue as well and could actually spend money on player salaries, which would help bring over more talent.

The MLS salary cap is a shade over $2 mill. $2MILLION! That's like Randy Jones and Riley Cote right there for the entire team. Ridiculous.
Maybe if your lazy ass got off the couch and went it would contribute to their sales aye?

Old
07-16-2010, 08:11 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Maybe if your lazy ass got off the couch and went it would contribute to their sales aye?
I'll go to a game with you.

And BTW, I bought a Sons of Bens scarf and a Le Toux t-shirt. I'm ****ing ready!

Old
07-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
The summer transfer window opened today.

There is talk that the Union are looking at Clarence Seedorf for one of their Designated Player spots (who would be exempt from the cap), as well as looking for other improvements (not big names).

Rumors mentioned Ronaldinho to LA (I think he signed already elsewhere, not sure) and Beckham being moved from the Galaxy. Other rumors have Landon Donovan being transferred to England.

Theirry Henry was signed by the NY Red Bulls yesterday.
Like, best player in the world circa 2006 Ronaldhino? What happened to that guy? Did he fall off completely or something? I noticed he wasn't on the World Cup Squad, but I figured it was an injury or something.

Old
07-16-2010, 08:14 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
I'll go to a game with you.

And BTW, I bought a Sons of Bens scarf and a Le Toux t-shirt. I'm ****ing ready!
From my seats vs Celtic game. Thankfully people lit off fireworks and sparklers to keep me entertained in the crowd.

Old
07-16-2010, 08:15 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Like, best player in the world circa 2006 Ronaldhino? What happened to that guy? Did he fall off completely or something? I noticed he wasn't on the World Cup Squad, but I figured it was an injury or something.
Older than dirt at this stage of his career. He would dominate MLS though obviously.

Old
07-16-2010, 08:23 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
The guy just hit the much hated 30, and in soccer, 30 means your time is quickly coming to an end.

Quote:
From my seats vs Celtic game. Thankfully people lit off fireworks and sparklers to keep me entertained in the crowd.

That's pretty awesome man.

Quote:
Older than dirt at this stage of his career. He would dominate MLS though obviously.
Which is why LA wants him.

I think he signs with the Galaxy and one of Beckham or Donovan is out. Beckham wants a permanent transfer (which is stupid, the past transfer her was on, he was a BACKUP) and Donovan is drawing massive interest from European clubs eager to purchase his contract. His contract is still in effect though, and he always transfers in the MLS offseason to play in Europe.

With the new rules, teams can have 3 designated players (effective this season), meaning the LA Galaxy could technically keep Ronaldinho, Donovan and Beckham and roll them all out if they can afford them.

MLS salary cap lets teams buy expensive players if they pay them themselves. Donovan is home grown, but his deal is unique that it is above the MLS cap and he is considered a designated player because of it.

Old
07-16-2010, 01:17 PM
JonnyGaloshes

They really need to televise these friendlies against big name euro teams if they have any interest in growing the fan base.

Union vs. Man U/Celtic? Not televised. Union vs. Toronto? On ****ing ABC.

I love soccer, and I won't watching that ****show. The African guys that play pickup in the park at the end of my block are more entertaining

Old
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
IrishSniper87

Some guy on the BigSoccer forum came up with this jersey to replace the current (IMO awful) away kit we have.

That's a slick kit.

Team that up with our current home kit

and I would love our unis.

Old
07-16-2010, 02:03 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
They really need to televise these friendlies against big name euro teams if they have any interest in growing the fan base.

Union vs. Man U/Celtic? Not televised. Union vs. Toronto? On ****ing ABC.

I love soccer, and I won't watching that ****show. The African guys that play pickup in the park at the end of my block are more entertaining
Union vs Man U is going to be on ESPN2 on Wed at 7:30PM

Old
07-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Jester

Quote:

I think their realistic goal has to be becoming a feeder league to the big European leagues. Whether that can be accomplished remains to be seen, but an ideal scenario would be that European clubs start putting their young players into the MLS.

Old
07-16-2010, 02:27 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
I want to go to that.

Old
07-16-2010, 02:36 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think their realistic goal has to be becoming a feeder league to the big European leagues. Whether that can be accomplished remains to be seen, but an ideal scenario would be that European clubs start putting their young players into the MLS.
MLS and the Euro leagues have very different schedules, but I agree. If MLS can work out transfer agreements with the Euro leagues and we can see some of their young guns, it could be very good for us. MLS plays mostly in the summer and the Euro leagues have summer off.

Top American players usually end up transferring to England anyway. Donovan stayed in MLS, but he spends the offseasons overseas. He has the best of both worlds, he can be the face of soccer in the states and then transfers to England in the MLS offseason.

If MLS can get more attention, the money and talent will follow. However, it's up to the fans, it will be a slow process.

MLS teams like LA and NY should have no problem bringing in European players, but places like San Jose, Columbus or Kansas City are SOL.

If we could get a couple of the big cities to turn into powerhouse teams, it would be nice.

LA Galaxy
New York Red Bulls
Chicago Fire
Philadelphia Union
Seattle Sounders FC

probably have the best shots at being top American clubs in the next 10-15 years given the location, population and money (if the Union can continue bringing in the crowd)

Old
07-16-2010, 05:34 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
Whew, ok. I really want to see it. I was basing that on the Union site from a couple of days ago... they had no tv broadcast listed like they did for the other games. Thanks for the heads up.

Old
07-16-2010, 05:43 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
LA Galaxy
New York Red Bulls
Chicago Fire
Philadelphia Union
Seattle Sounders FC

probably have the best shots at being top American clubs in the next 10-15 years given the location, population and money (if the Union can continue bringing in the crowd)

On a side note, I can't stand the way MLS teams are named. The mere mention of "New York Red Bulls" or "Real Salt Lake" makes me instantly facepalm.

I do like our name though (and uniforms). At least we look and sound like we belong with the big boys.

Closed Thread