HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hunter's working on getting Tinordi

Old
07-15-2010, 11:23 PM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfe View Post
It's not a higher level but yes, a pro like schedule is definitely an advantage.
Yes, it is a higher level...

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 11:41 PM
SeriousFan09

I would say considering the number of issues the Canadiens have had with properly developing players and making sure they're ready and mature for the NHL game, Tinordi spending a year or two at Notre Dame isn't a bad idea. He'll be doing higher education while playing good, competitive hockey under a well-respected NCAA coach. After that, he'll ride the buses in the AHL for a year. Time to do it more like Detroit and slow-cook the prospects rather than try and rush these guys out like an assembly line. Will he play less at Notre Dame? Yes, but he'll also be playing against men in the NCAA leagues and get used to not being able to bowl over 16-year olds with only a bit of effort and getting hit harder as well.

Canadiens could use a development path that encourages a more educated, mature player, especially when they'll sign him to a six-figure contract and plop him down in Sin City Canada not soon after that.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:28 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Not to mention Ryan Malone and Ryan Kesler. The Americans are producing some of the top powerforwards in the game, along the lines of Tkachucks, Guerins and LeClairs.
Kesler and Malone are physical but they don't have that edge that make you scared to go into the corner with them. They're not stellar fighters, either. Kesler is teased all the time in the NHL because of it. He can be pretty chiken ****.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Good point. For me though it's the amount of games that's the deal-breaker. The NHL schedule (at least I assume because I've never tried myself) is grueling to say the least. Getting used to playing that many games not only would help him prepare for that physical toll but, arguably more importantly, would allow him to adjust and develop as a player quicker. I know playing hockey just for fun you do much better if you play 2-3 games a week instead of 1, type-thing. Just my thoughts anyway.
It might not be that big of a deal though, depending on the player. Ryan O'Byrne played in 28 games at Cornell in his junior year, the next year he played 102 (reg+playoffs) and while he did hit a wall, he was one of the Dogs top defensemen in the playoffs as a rookie.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:15 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Good point. For me though it's the amount of games that's the deal-breaker. The NHL schedule (at least I assume because I've never tried myself) is grueling to say the least. Getting used to playing that many games not only would help him prepare for that physical toll but, arguably more importantly, would allow him to adjust and develop as a player quicker. I know playing hockey just for fun you do much better if you play 2-3 games a week instead of 1, type-thing. Just my thoughts anyway.
agreed that playing alot of games gets you somehow ready for NHL schedual, i just think they can learn that if they do 1 full year in the AHL, after their juniors. imo not saying its bad to play OHL type of season, i just dont think its always necassary for development of a player.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Kesler and Malone are physical but they don't have that edge that make you scared to go into the corner with them. They're not stellar fighters, either. Kesler is teased all the time in the NHL because of it. He can be pretty chiken ****.
Malone is a solid fighter. Not great, but he can hold his own.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:56 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Malone is a solid fighter. Not great, but he can hold his own.
Yeah, I don't think Malone belongs to that description. I think the guy is a huge pest (classic hate when he's against you, but you'd probably love him on your team), but he'll drop the gloves anywhere anytime, and will usually instigate it. He's pretty tough. Kesler though, you have a point, good player but not quite an intimidating figure.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 10:58 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Why no one call Tinordi a wasted pick because he's going to NCAA but in the Leblanc thread it's like Louis bashing?

ClasslessGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp10 View Post
Why no one call Tinordi a wasted pick because he's going to NCAA but in the Leblanc thread it's like Louis bashing?
Because Louis Lebust had higher expectations than a big, stay at home blueliner.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:09 AM
maxpower2010*

Quote:
Tinordi isn't going to the ECAC. Big difference.

Then again, his development won't be as good as it would be in London but he'll still be somewhat tested at ND. Just sucks he'll play so few games and won't be able to get involved in any fisticuffs.

maxpower2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:00 PM
katatoniak

Maybe one year at ND and the next in hamilton ? A 6'6'' 220 (bulking up for a season) who's defensive coverage is already at pro level can probably gor to the pro after one season in NCAA ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2010 View Post
Tinordi isn't going to the ECAC. Big difference.
Well, perceived big difference, anyway. But often an exaggerated one. As I perceive it.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
because Leblanc, being from Montreal, has gotten, and will continue to get, a lot more attention (good and bad).

Leblanc will get critiqued ad nauseum until he either makes an all-star team, or flames out of the habs organization.
With Tinordi, more of the scrutiny will go more towards Timmins and the habs U.S player drafting tendency of late if he fails to meet expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Because Louis Lebust had higher expectations than a big, stay at home blueliner.
? according to whom?

they weren't drafted far apart, and from everything I've read/heard (since i can't say i've seen either play very much), Leblanc was drafted with the knowledge that he was at least 2-3 years away from being physically "pro ready", whereas Tinordi's game/body is already borderline NHL ready.

High end potential-wise, I don't know that Leblanc's projected ceiling is higher than Tinordi's... perhaps in pure production terms, but I haven't seen anyone talking about leblanc as a blue chip/top line prospect, more of a solid second line type player.
Tinordi projects to being an elite shut down defensive dman.

which one really has higher expectations?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Corey

Quote:
You assume it's because of their ethnic backgrounds but you're as wrong as you can possibly be. There's a big difference between the ECAC, where Leblanc is playing, and other NCAA conferences. The ECAC players play fewer games against weaker competition. A large majority of successful NHL players who come from the NCAA don't come from the ECAC.

Leblanc probably isn't positive that he can become top NHL player and he's making a good career decision. I agree with what he did. If I were of college age I would jump at the opportunity to go to Harvard because it's an elite school and would help me get better jobs later in life. He can learn about hockey when he turns pro.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Jigger77

Chelios and Leclair came straight out of college and turned pro am I right? I don't remember...

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Yup. I did not remember but you obviously did.

Chelios
Leclair
I thought so. I'm sure there are more examples of star players coming straight from the college ranks. Maybe this whole OHL thing is being blown out of proportion. Of course this was like 15-20 yrs ago though.

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:56 PM
guest1467

Quote:
I thought so. I'm sure there are more examples of star players coming straight from the college ranks. Maybe this whole OHL thing is being blown out of proportion. Of course this was like 15-20 yrs ago though.
Its better competition now than before. Like I said earlier, its more the player himself rather than his environment.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
You assume it's because of their ethnic backgrounds but you're as wrong as you can possibly be. There's a big difference between the ECAC, where Leblanc is playing, and other NCAA conferences. The ECAC players play fewer games against weaker competition. A large majority of successful NHL players who come from the NCAA don't come from the ECAC.
This isn't really true, the ECAC doesn't play less games per say, only the 6 Ivy league schools play less games (Cornell, Havard, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Princeton)

Havard played 33 games last season, Cornell played 36, Brown only 28. Non Ivy league teams play more games, Clarkson played 40 games last year, St Lawrence 37, Quinnipiac 37, etc...

Minnesota played 39 games, North Dakota played 43, etc... it all depends on how far you go in the playoffs and if you make the frozen fours.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
maxpower2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, perceived big difference, anyway. But often an exaggerated one. As I perceive it.
Let's be reality here. Apart from maybe the top two teams in the ECAC, the rest have trouble even skating with the big guns of the NCAA. With 9 wins in over 30 games, Harvard is essentially the retarded little brother of an autistic family.

maxpower2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Harvard is weak as **** at developing players, while other schools like Michigan and North Dakota actually do a solid job, as they play against better competition consistently compared to Harvard.

It's not because he's French, it's because of which school he choose.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Tinordi is a REAL hockey player.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Harvard is weak as **** at developing players, while other schools like Michigan and North Dakota actually do a solid job, as they play against better competition consistently compared to Harvard.

It's not because he's French, it's because of which school he choose.
This is a fallacy...

Harvard has weaker teams because it does not offer scholarships and it really is difficult getting accepted.

That being said, the strength of the team has little to do with Lebalnc's development. What is needed is a good program with a good coach. Donato is well respected and as a freshman, Leblanc was already the go to guy.

Freshmans at the top schools you mention are secondary players.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 06:06 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah, but at what cost??? He'll be a little s***... well okay, a friggin tall s***.

BTW, do the Knights have his rights, cuz if they don't, he could always try some other OHL team...

Now really I'm both surprised and sarcastic when I don't see the usual alarmists come around, and none of them goes berserk over how Sergei turned out as he was Hunter's pupil.

So what is it my fickle friends? When it's a Habs matter, the org always does mistakes and oh we never hear the end of it, and I'm sure Sergei is part of that in your minds, but but but, Hunter was the one who groomed him... yet NO fault lies on Hunter! Not a single alarmist has come here and screamed "OH NO, HE'LL DO THE SAME TO JARRED AS HE DID TO SERGEI!!!"

I mean, it's right up your ally. Oh, right, I forgot, Hunter is spotless and the Habs always do mistakes.

I love sarcasm
Totally off the mark

In London SK was no problem at all. Did as he was told.

First year in Montreal, same deal, everybody loved him

Year two he gets complacent and in the dog house with Carbo. Ditto year three with Martin, but I still think Martin played it all wrong

In any case, what did Dale or Mark Hunter have to do with SK derailing in Montreal? They delivered a well trained player with good two way skills. The ball was dropped in Montreal

Any complaints about Rick Nash? Marc Methot? Dan Girardi? Corey Perry? Dave Bolland? Steve Mason? Dennis Wideman? Just to name a few others? These guys were all well prepped to play in the bigs.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 06:09 PM
JrHockeyFan

A related article to the one posted at the start of the thread.

This one is about ND coaching and the Hunters. They are not strangers to each other

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/hockey.../14719336.html

As the article notes Hunter was named coach of the year in the OHL last season. His 3rd time winning that award

Old
07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imindoors View Post
I thought he already made up his mind of going to Notre-Dame..
Looks like the London Knights doesn't want Jarred to get a proper education, all they want is to win. Anyways, it will be better for him to join them to get his puck skills better. But he already has commited himself to Notre-Dame for fall 2010
Actually if Tinordi wants to get to the pros in 2 years time, the best education he can get is the OHL. They made it clear that this is the opportunity Tinordi will have.

I'm not seeing how his puck skills get better playing NCAA. In the CHL the D men are seeing some of the best offensive players in their age group. Successful D men have to work on all aspects of D play to do a good job there

Hunter has a good assistant coach handling the D in Jacques Beaulieu, former St John head coach in the Q. London has a good coaching staff