HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquire Steve Eminger

Old
07-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
People see what they want to see, and ignore the stats staring them right in the face. Its aggravating.
I'm not even much of a stat guy, like some others here. It's shocking that people don't even bother researching something they're using as a crutch for their failed argument(s). A rather elementary approach to posting on any message board.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 02:36 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sather was looking for a 6/7 defenseman. A short term deal. Not a lot of money. Swapped Voros and shed another SPC in the process. Waived Voros three times. Instead of keeping Voros and signing another similar defenseman for the same cap hit,Sather just made a trade. Reading the responses in this thread Looking for things which aren't there.
$1.125m is a lot of money for a 6/7 defenseman...then again I guess when the other option is making $6.5m I guess it's chump change.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
$1.125m is a lot of money for a 6/7 defenseman...then again I guess when the other option is making $6.5m I guess it's chump change.
It is. But would anyone else take Voros and another contract without sending a contract like Eminger's back? We're paying an extra 250k for someone that can at least be of some use, while also freeing up another SPC.

As Boom Boom said, it really comes down to moving crap we have no use for for crap we can at least use. Eminger is no cap killer and he fills a need, even if he's shaky. Why anyone would be upset by this, I can't fathom.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:09 PM
94now

Sather seems fascinated with 1st rounders much more than any other GM. Esp. with 2002 ones where he didn't have any spot before he got Lee Fart at 33rd. He allegedly wanted Babchuk, got Higgins and now Eminger from that year.

Looks like an okay trade. The guy was changing teams because they expected top 4 D from him. Could be another Chistensen. Low risk, low reward, low level deal.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:13 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It is. But would anyone else take Voros and another contract without sending a contract like Eminger's back? We're paying an extra 250k for someone that can at least be of some use, while also freeing up another SPC.

As Boom Boom said, it really comes down to moving crap we have no use for for crap we can at least use. Eminger is no cap killer and he fills a need, even if he's shaky. Why anyone would be upset by this, I can't fathom.
I hear ya, I'm not upset by it. We can always just waive him and send him to Hartford, and for what it's worth we wouldn't have half the team upset about it like they would've probably been if we ever sent Voros down to Hartford.

Old
07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

I'll be upset if he's in our top 6.... Tired of having questionable defensemen on the bottom pair (see Ozolinsh, Kalinin, Backman, etc)

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:41 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
What is the nature of your bashing of Eminger?

We all know he's sucks. The guy was just traded for Aaron ****ing Voros.

He's an extra body. Nobody here is saying this guy is exceptional in any way. The guys been bounced around from team to team for a reason. We know this.

The guys here that don't mind the trade understand we gave up a player who is actually less benefitial to our roster than the scrub you're having a field-day with.
Respectfully disagree.

Look, I overreacted a bit because some people on this very thread just looked at his height, weight and his former draft position and automatically made him out to be the 1st in line to replace Redden or Gilroy or whomever.

I don't hate Eminger. I just think his acquisition was totally useless when there were much more capable options out there. Jay McKee, Shane Hnidy and Mike Mottau are three guys who immediately come to mind who probably could have been had for less than Eminger.

It's just part of my overall disappointment of the players Sather has selected to jojn the roster this offseason. I don't mind the returnees. I do wonder about the others.

You guys have to understand that this franchise (I think more so than others) has a long history of getting washed up d-men who end up playing a lot more than they should and do considerable damage.

Bottom line: I'd much rather see a Hartford guy get beaten six ways to Sunday in a pivotal game than Steve Eminger.

I'm sure he has his moments. It's not like the puck breaks into a million pieces when he tries to shoot or pass.

It's the idea of acquiring a shaky guy who is regressing as a reserve, and the subsequent idea on this thread (occasionally) that it was a "good" trade.

I'll keep my mouth shut. But if there comes a point during the season where this board wants him tarred and feathered (for whatever reason), just allow me one "I told you so"

If not, and he plays well, I'll gracefully eat crow

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:47 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Sather seems fascinated with 1st rounders much more than any other GM. Esp. with 2002 ones where he didn't have any spot before he got Lee Fart at 33rd. He allegedly wanted Babchuk, got Higgins and now Eminger from that year.

Looks like an okay trade. The guy was changing teams because they expected top 4 D from him. Could be another Chistensen. Low risk, low reward, low level deal.
Don't forget Brian Boyle! lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:30 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Could be another Chistensen. Low risk, low reward, low level deal.
Not exactly a reason to trade for someone. Simply being "not horrendous" is not a reason to be on a team.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:00 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Respectfully disagree.

Look, I overreacted a bit because some people on this very thread just looked at his height, weight and his former draft position and automatically made him out to be the 1st in line to replace Redden or Gilroy or whomever.

I don't hate Eminger. I just think his acquisition was totally useless when there were much more capable options out there. Jay McKee, Shane Hnidy and Mike Mottau are three guys who immediately come to mind who probably could have been had for less than Eminger.

It's just part of my overall disappointment of the players Sather has selected to jojn the roster this offseason. I don't mind the returnees. I do wonder about the others.
how about this, is this a good trade when you look at it from a personnel and contract POV?

Rangers get
borderline NHL capable player
+250k cap
extra contract they can use to sign an undrafted junior UFA, prospect, or regular UFA

Ducks get
borderline NHL capable player
-250k cap
prospect who cannot even make an AHL team, barely holding on a ECHL position.

For me, freeing up that extra contract is what is the best part of this trade. It allows the Rangers to sign a Jeremy Williams or a Lee Baldwin. He should serve as a 6/7. His purpose, if he can fulfill the role, is to push the other D-men in the lineup so that they don't lose their spot to Eminger. This sort of role is not the best for a rookie as that is not good for either their development or confidence (not saying a rookie couldn't do it)

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:00 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I don't know if this was posted yet but Voros is back on twitter, further adding to the speculation that the front office could've been fed up with his off-ice antics...

@Voros43

Quote:
The return of the "Peoples Champ"... Stay tuned.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:13 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Not exactly a reason to trade for someone. Simply being "not horrendous" is not a reason to be on a team.
The fact of the matter is we didn't really give anything up. A nothing prospect and a guy that was on the verge of being bought out anyway.

Old
07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Steve Eminger, 26, has been moving a lot lately, and the New York Rangers will be his sixth team (Washington, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Florida, Anaheim) since 2008.

While Eminger doesn't appear that he's going to live up to his draft slot -- he was taken 12th overall in 2002 -- he stepped into a more prominent role with the Ducks late in the season and didn't appear out of place. From February on, Eminger played more than 22 minutes per game and had ten points and a plus-6 rating in his last 24 games.

With the Rangers, Eminger is a prime insurance policy. If the Rangers can't come to an agreement with restricted free agent Marc Staal (a worst-case scenario), decide to bury Wade Redden in the minors or merely want competition for Matt Gilroy, Eminger is capable of filling a variety of roles on the Rangers' blueline.

Eminger has $1.125-million left on his deal, and will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

What seems assured is that Eminger will provide more for the Rangers than they were expecting from Aaron Voros, a fourth-line tough guy who played just 6:09 per game in 41 games last season.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=327420

This is why this move made a LOT of sense for us. Still can't believe anyone complained about trading Voros and Hillier for him.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I don't know if this was posted yet but Voros is back on twitter, further adding to the speculation that the front office could've been fed up with his off-ice antics...

@Voros43
I didn't realize you can call yourself the "Peoples Champ" when all the fans think you suck and want you nowhere near their team.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 01:17 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=327420

This is why this move made a LOT of sense for us. Still can't believe anyone complained about trading Voros and Hillier for him.
It's my opinion that Eminger can do more damage to the team while playing defense for 12-15 mins than Voros could have done in his little 6 mins of ice time.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 01:55 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

I can't believe there are actually people worked up about this.

(Some) Rangers fans are impossible to please.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
It's my opinion that Eminger can do more damage to the team while playing defense for 12-15 mins than Voros could have done in his little 6 mins of ice time.
1. Eminger is going to have to earn the chance to play those 12 to 15 minutes. I don't think he's a shoe-in to make the team with his salary.

2. Voros no longer had a spot on the team. Prust's signing effectively made him redundant.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
1. Eminger is going to have to earn the chance to play those 12 to 15 minutes. I don't think he's a shoe-in to make the team with his salary.

2. Voros no longer had a spot on the team. Prust's signing effectively made him redundant.
Even before coming here and tearing it up, Prust was twice the player Voros was or will be. One doesn't make the other redundant as they're different players.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Even before coming here and tearing it up, Prust was twice the player Voros was or will be. One doesn't make the other redundant as they're different players.
Not really talking about their talents or production here. I'm just saying Prust and Voros serve a similar role. Both of them will play a rough brand of hockey and are ready, willing, and capable of playing the part-time enforcer role.

When we got a true enforcer in Boogaard, there was no for both Prust & Voros. They chose Prust for obvious reasons.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If they can get Prust to play the PK with relative effectiveness, he becomes much more than just a 4th line fighter, physical role.

He becomes a grinder, a 4th line Ryan Callahan. I'd like to see that.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:26 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
perhaps he meant to say 'obsolete?'

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:27 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If they can get Prust to play the PK with relative effectiveness, he becomes much more than just a 4th line fighter, physical role.

He becomes a grinder, a 4th line Ryan Callahan. I'd like to see that.
He is actually a very good PKer. He was a regular on the PK in Calgary before he was traded. I think Torts had the guys he wanted to use on it last year but Prust should get a shot this year.

Drury-Callahan
Boyle-Prust
Anisimov-Dubinsky

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:28 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Drury-Callahan
Boyle-Prust
Anisimov-Dubinsky
Not enough Avery here.

Old
07-17-2010, 08:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Not enough Avery here.
On the PK? He barely played there last year. Switch Dubi and him then. Either way Prust and Boyle should be regulars on the PK to get them some extra time and save some of their bigger guys like Gaborik.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote