HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Bob Probert Appreciation thread

Old
07-08-2010, 03:23 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Bob Probert Appreciation thread

I thought it would be a great show of respect for Probie to have an appreciation thread for him. This section of the site is dedicated to the hockey fights and fighters and since he was the best this seems only proper.

Some of my reflections of him are that unlike some of the Champions to come after him he never seemed to turn a fight down from anyone, if you look at his fight card he fought everyone and most more than once. He was the measuring stick for any fighter coming up the ranks to test themselfes against. Dennis Bonvie who was a legendary minor league tough guy who played a bit in the show apparently lined up against probie and issued the challenge by saying to Bob " You are either going to make me or break me"

Also I dont think another fighter had as many quality series of fights with other top guys as Probie did. Off the top of my head I can come up with these names that he had legendary series of fights with.

Tie Domi
Wendel Clark
Marty McSorley
Troy Crowder
Todd Ewen
Tony Twist
Donald Brashear
Jody Shelley
Craig Coxe

There are many others

Also as a Blues fan when he was in his prime and the Wings were coming to town you knew there was a good chance that you were going to see Mayhem on the ice that night if the game got rough. As a Blues fan I hated him for the longest time because he was so good at what he did, but as I got older I grew to respect him a lot and he became one of my all time favorite players because of those same abilities.

Also for those of us who really get into watching fight footage I think it is easy to say that he is one of the main reasons we started doing so.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:31 PM
facts

great post, my two favorite are his fights against Glen Cochrane when Probie was just an up and comer and when he was fading with chicago and he absolutely school Scott Parker. The significance in these two fights to me is that he really displayed his skill, and dedication to the trade.
In closing my favorite Probert incident is when Steve Yzerman got jumped by Kevin Macquire (sp?) from Buffalo and Probert went nuts driving Malarchuck in the head and warning him and then later teeing off on macquire. On TSN lastnight it was the best of OTR and a tribute to Probert and a Bob had a great line, Landsberg said "was there ever a teammate that you didn't want to protect" and Probert quickly responded "No." and then finshed by saying "I protected all my teammates." I think that echos your post in the sense that he fought any takers or challengers and never picked his spots.
God Bless Bob Probert

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

From the Detroit News. There is a video of Yzerman, Grimson and Domi talking about Probert, also shows Probbie's casket being driven away on a motorcycle.

http://detnews.com/article/20100709/...led-to-heaven-

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:43 PM
NJDEVILS17*

One of my favorite players of all time. A complete hockey player and the best fighter and one of the most exciting fighters of all time.

His battles against Stu Grimson, Craig Coxe, Tie Domi, and Craig Berube were some of the best.

Probert also sounded like he was a terrific guy off the ice and that everyone genuinely loved him as a person. I'm not a religious person, but I know that Bob Probert is up in heaven now.

RIP Probie

NJDEVILS17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

This clip deserves a post aswell, excellent tribute which HWC uploaded last night.

Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote