HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Re-Sign Marc-Andre Cliche, Corey Elkins, Rich Clune, and Trevor Lewis

Old
07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Where's there any risk when he will earn a little over $600,000 if he makes the NHL. He is being paid appropriately for the role he will serve. If he becomes a serviceable 4th line center, what's the harm? He is also considered a leader on Manchester, so at the very least, they retain a minor league veteran who can help some of the younger prospects in the AHL. Not every prospect has to be a top six forward.
Really Ziggy? Never would have guessed.

Point is Ziggy, I don't see the value. In my opinion, he will never be a regular NHLer, at least not with LA, and with the kids we have coming into the system from more recent drafts, I don't see the value in using up a contract spot for him. I never said there was any harm, if you would have actually read my post, just saying I don't see the return value in this signing.

But when he turns into a 80-point first-line centre who is an all-star and named league MVP, I guess in some weird, roundabout way I should brag Ziggy?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
WOOHOO, we signed some peeps!

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Point is Ziggy, I don't see the value. In my opinion, he will never be a regular NHLer, at least not with LA, and with the kids we have coming into the system from more recent drafts, I don't see the value in using up a contract spot for him. I never said there was any harm, if you would have actually read my post, just saying I don't see the return value in this signing.

:
Guess I missed the multi year deal. Not sure who's spot he's taking? He's a good defensive C with very strong leadership abilities. Who cares if he'll ever be a NHL regular? LA needs to fill multiple spots in multiple leagues and to whine over signing Cliche and Elkins to small contracts , guess some are just whiners. "Return Value"? Don't look on the stat sheet for this one pal, the value is in other areas.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:30 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Guess I missed the multi year deal. Not sure who's spot he's taking? He's a good defensive C with very strong leadership abilities. Who cares if he'll ever be a NHL regular? LA needs to fill multiple spots in multiple leagues and to whine over signing Cliche and Elkins to small contracts , guess some are just whiners. "Return Value"? Don't look on the stat sheet for this one pal, the value is in other areas.
Funny how someone can't disagree without being bashed on here.

Cliche's value doesn't show up on a stat sheet? Really, a defensive-minded, checking forward who is a 4th liner at the NHL level, if he makes it all, doesn't have his value easily accessible in the stats sheet? Well then, golly gee mister, you're right. He is a great signing and I'm sorry for crossing the legion of closet-Cliche supporters.

Point is, we have 50 contracts to give out, I don't see the value anymore to offering one to Cliche, one year or not. All signings have value, and I don't see it in here. Doesn't mean I'm right, doesn't mean I'm wrong. I just don't see it and that's all I said "pal."

This is a discussion board, treat it as such.

Old
07-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Funny how someone can't disagree without being bashed on here.

Cliche's value doesn't show up on a stat sheet? Really, a defensive-minded, checking forward who is a 4th liner at the NHL level, if he makes it all, doesn't have his value easily accessible in the stats sheet? Well then, golly gee mister, you're right. He is a great signing and I'm sorry for crossing the legion of closet-Cliche supporters.

Point is, we have 50 contracts to give out, I don't see the value anymore to offering one to Cliche, one year or not. All signings have value, and I don't see it in here. Doesn't mean I'm right, doesn't mean I'm wrong. I just don't see it and that's all I said "pal."

This is a discussion board, treat it as such.
As it is a discussion board, being a smart *** can also be considered as bashing (See your comment to Ziggy). Just saying. . if you can't take it, don't dish it . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Really Ziggy? Never would have guessed.

But when he turns into a 80-point first-line centre who is an all-star and named league MVP, I guess in some weird, roundabout way I should brag Ziggy?
By saying you don't see the value and pointing out that he takes up a spot on the reserve list of 50-contracted players, you do realize you are implying there is harm done by signing Cliche, don't you? Perhaps you should reread what you wrote.

As already discussed, it appears you don't comprehend the value of having a player fill a role in Manchester. It's an insurance policy to have a serviceable player. The Kings also have eight reserve slots open for contracts. You are making an issue over a standard signing that every organization makes. I guess some people need any little reason to make a big fuss over a minor signing.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:03 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
As it is a discussion board, being a smart *** can also be considered as bashing (See your comment to Ziggy). Just saying. . if you can't take it, don't dish it . .
Oh I can take it fine thanks.

If you want to bash my smartass talk, fine. Do so. My opinion is what you and Ziggy bashed me on though, so you can both expect a smartass remark back.

Like I said, it's a discussion board. You want to discuss my opinion, fine. You want to bash my intelligence, then expect a smartass comment.

Old
07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Oh I can take it fine thanks.

If you want to bash my smartass talk, fine. Do so. My opinion is what you and Ziggy bashed me on though, so you can both expect a smartass remark back.

Like I said, it's a discussion board. You want to discuss my opinion, fine. You want to bash my intelligence, then expect a smartass comment.
Where did I bash you in my initial response? Someone seems to be a bit oversensitive to discussion boards. Judging from your responses, it is painfully clear and obvious that you just simply don't understand the logic behind this signing. You may view it as an insult to your intelligence, I view it as a lack of comprehension.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:15 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
By saying you don't see the value and pointing out that he takes up a spot on the reserve list of 50-contracted players, you do realize you are implying there is harm done by signing Cliche, don't you? Perhaps you should reread what you wrote.

As already discussed, it appears you don't comprehend the value of having a player fill a role in Manchester. It's an insurance policy to have a serviceable player. The Kings also have eight reserve slots open for contracts. You are making an issue over a standard signing that every organization makes. I guess some people need any little reason to make a big fuss over a minor signing.

Maybe you should reread what I wrote.

I'm not implying anything. I understand that we need depth players, guys for Manchester, etc. I'm saying that maybe, just maybe, a spot could go to someone more deserving than Cliche.

Like, just possibly, there may be someone else out there who could warrant that contract because I haven't seen enough development in Cliche to warrant more time invested in him.

I didn't make a big fuss out of it at all actually. I simply stated I didn't think it was a good signing, which I have since stessed is MY OPINION. It's not like we have to be pawns and agree with everything management does. I happened to disagree with this signing.

Just because it's a minor signing doesn't mean I can't disagree, or be mocked for doing so. I understand that not everyone needs to be a top six forward and that Cliche serves as a depth player, insurance, or darkhorse fourth liner at the NHL level this season. Frankly, that's stuff you learn in the 101 class of how to be a hockey fan and after being around these boards since the days of the original HF boards (so like 11 years) I'd like to think I know the basics. My point is I don't agree with the signing, and all I said is:

"I like the guy, but he is a 4th liner at best, and within our system, he's a depth/fill-in type to me. At least I can understand with Elkins, he's only been in for one season, but Cliche has done little above the ordinary to warrant this contract. I'm not opposed to the contract, I just don't see the value or reasoning, other than to help Manchester possibly."

How that translates into me needing a referesher course on the basics of the NHL I don't understand. You like the Cliche signing, I don't. Fine. I'm not bashing you for liking the signing, and didn't do so in my original post. Don't slam me for not liking it.

Old
07-16-2010, 03:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Where did I bash you in my initial response? Someone seems to be a bit oversensitive to discussion boards. Judging from your responses, it is painfully clear and obvious that you just simply don't understand the logic behind this signing. You may view it as an insult to your intelligence, I view it as a lack of comprehension.

Yes I do take "not everyone can be a top six forward" as a bash, implying I don't understand that, which is one of the first things you learn as a fan, the value of the role player/depth guy, which is what Cliche is. You might not, I do.

Old
07-16-2010, 03:30 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Exactly. I watched about half the games the year the Maineaics won (and all the playoff games) which is when I started to love Bernier. Cliche was a total soldier on that team. He was the heart and soul, the captain. As said above, he doesn't put up HUGE numbers, but that's not what he's about. He's a defensive center that gets the job done. I kind of think of him as a guy who could be on a shut down line, like the Ducks had on their cup run with Nieds, Pahlsson and Moen.
The Maineaics then were such a great Q team. Cliche was the heart and soul of that team, once he went down in the 2007 Memorial Cup, the team fell apart. I think Bernier was also nursing some ankle problems then too, but man feels like yesterday I was watching these kids play for the Memorial Cup and now they are on the cusp of making the Kings. Wish we could somehow get Perron to round out the trio from Lewiston, and we need some LW help.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:38 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

David Perron is also a RFA.. offer sheet? Hahahaha, nah not DL's way of acquiring someone, maybe trade for him

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Fat Elvis

Kingsfan, who is Cliche taking a contract away from this season? Who in your opinion can play his role better (4th line defensive C, possible Manchester Captain) for around the same $$?

I see his signing as a decent move and he has value in the organization. Character guys like him have great value along the lines of a guy like Armstrong did a few years ago. Does he have high end skills that propel LA over the top? No! But I'd like to know which players his signing is going to hurt? It can definitly benefit Manchester, a very young and getting younger team.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:47 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
David Perron is also a RFA.. offer sheet? Hahahaha, nah not DL's way of acquiring someone, maybe trade for him
I'd rather have Perron over Gagne...cheaper cap hit and would be a good 2nd line LW.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:50 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
The Maineaics then were such a great Q team. Cliche was the heart and soul of that team, once he went down in the 2007 Memorial Cup, the team fell apart. I think Bernier was also nursing some ankle problems then too, but man feels like yesterday I was watching these kids play for the Memorial Cup and now they are on the cusp of making the Kings. Wish we could somehow get Perron to round out the trio from Lewiston, and we need some LW help.
Yep, same here. I LOVED Perron on the Maineaics.

I remember when we got Cliche in the Avery deal, I was stoked. I still hope one day Perron could be a King. When he didn't fall to the second round I was a little disappointed (though not surprised). We still did good in the second round that year, getting Moller and Simmonds.

Also agree, once Cliche got hurt, the team spiraled downward.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:37 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Add Brad Richardson

Because he signed a 1 year deal.

http://lakingsnews.com/2010/07/16/br...one-year-deal/

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Is this another Eklund source?

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:39 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Is this another Eklund source?
Absolutely not.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:25 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Kingsfan, who is Cliche taking a contract away from this season? Who in your opinion can play his role better (4th line defensive C, possible Manchester Captain) for around the same $$?

I see his signing as a decent move and he has value in the organization. Character guys like him have great value along the lines of a guy like Armstrong did a few years ago. Does he have high end skills that propel LA over the top? No! But I'd like to know which players his signing is going to hurt? It can definitly benefit Manchester, a very young and getting younger team.
Who said it would hurt any specific player?

I'd rather we keep the contract spot open and look at grabbing a college UFA next year personally. I've said several times I like Cliche, I'll always have a soft spot for him simply because he was the key piece we got getting rid of Sean Avery. I just think we gave him three seasons in our farm system and I don't see him as being any closer to the NHL now than he was then and maybe it's time to look in a new direction.

And if it's leadership we want, I'd rather go a different route and sign a true veteran, like what Edmonton did with Brad Moran. Get a guy who has been around and can be a real leader with the kids. Has won at a professional level, been places, has accomplishments. Cliche has three years in Manchester, not the same thing.

Once again, not bashing Cliche everyone. I just don't think he earned another contract, and that's all.

Old
07-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Nothelen is a little late:

Kings agree to one-year xtensions w/Cliche, Lewis, Elkins and Clune...

But I haven't seen anything about Lewis. If true, all of the Kings RFAs have been re-signed. Only Kovalchuk is left.

Capgeek doesn't have any contact amounts, but I'm sure they are all under $1 million.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 10:41 PM
GR81

Four Monarchs Ink One-Year Deals

Just found this on the narcs site. Salary's not disclosed.

http://manchestermonarchs.com/fullstory.php?id=3739

GR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Yup, all RFA's are now signed as the remaining individuals have accepted their qualifying offers.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Does anyone know if the deals are one/two-way?

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:41 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Does anyone know what these deals are worth??

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:12 AM
GR81

Salaries are posted on capgeek.

Trevor Lewis $803,250 - 1yr
Corey Elkins $726,000 - 1yr
Richard Clune $522,500 - 1yr

http://capgeek.com/

GR81 is offline   Reply With Quote