HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At last, ammo to fight back!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2003, 10:33 AM
  #1
Laches
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
At last, ammo to fight back!

I've heard a lot from the Wild fans about the Rangers the last few years, but haven't been able to say much in return. Sure, they've never beaten us, but what did that matter when they were hosting the conference finals. But now, finally, comes this..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=55695&hubName=

Doug Risebrough must have drunk an entire case of Glen Sather Stupid Juice this summer. How on God's green earth do you justify refusing to give Pascal Dupuis more than $385K while giving Dog half-a-mil?

Maybe I shouldn't talk just yet, the way things have gone for the Rangers the last few years, the lazy SOB will put up a hattrick on us next Friday.

Laches is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 11:06 AM
  #2
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
Doug Risebrough must have drunk an entire case of Glen Sather Stupid Juice this summer. How on God's green earth do you justify refusing to give Pascal Dupuis more than $385K while giving Dog half-a-mil?
No kidding. Can't get Gaby to sign? No problem. Obvioulsy Daigle has put it all together during his stint in Hollywood.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 05:47 PM
  #3
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch
 
Frozen North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: OK
Country: United States
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
I don't know...

This might not be such a bad deal for the Wild. Consider this...

1. Daigle is notorious for starting the season strong, putting up decent numbers for the first 1/4 of the season or so, and then disappearing.

2. Minny is faced with both Gaborik and Dupius holding out. Assuming that those hold-outs last into the season, Daigle provides somewhat of a back up plan to either of those two sitting out.

3. Basically Minny only needs Daigle to produce until Dupius and/or Gaborik sign, which shouldn't be later than November/December.

Please, please, please don't mis-interpret this post and think that I'm saying that Daigle will put up Gaborik or evn Dupuis-type numbers. All I'm saying is that if he plays solidly until one or both of them return, the team hasn't lost anything and when Daigle disappears, he'll be replaced in the lineup by a known commodity.

Flame away! :p

Frozen North is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 07:34 PM
  #4
Laches
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger
This might not be such a bad deal for the Wild. Consider this...

1. Daigle is notorious for starting the season strong, putting up decent numbers for the first 1/4 of the season or so, and then disappearing.

2. Minny is faced with both Gaborik and Dupius holding out. Assuming that those hold-outs last into the season, Daigle provides somewhat of a back up plan to either of those two sitting out.

3. Basically Minny only needs Daigle to produce until Dupius and/or Gaborik sign, which shouldn't be later than November/December.

Please, please, please don't mis-interpret this post and think that I'm saying that Daigle will put up Gaborik or evn Dupuis-type numbers. All I'm saying is that if he plays solidly until one or both of them return, the team hasn't lost anything and when Daigle disappears, he'll be replaced in the lineup by a known commodity.

Flame away! :p
---The Wild shouldn't even be in a position where they're counting on Daigle to replace the offense that they've lost because they were too damn cheap to make fair and reasonable offers to Gaborik, Dupuis and Ronning. Those guys should all be in camp now. It's not like what any of them is asking in unreasonable, Minnesota just hasn't made any of them any offers worth considering. They were a tight-knit bunch last year, and you have to wonder how the absence of those guys is going to make the rest of the team feel. And we saw in San Jose how not getting key players signed and in camp can short-circuit your entire season.

I've lost a lot of respect for that franchise this summer. I thought they were laying the foundation for some real long-term success, but it turns out that they're apparently more concerned with affordability than quality. They could have been on their way to being what the Devils have been for the last decade, but they're now headed towards being the Bruins.

Laches is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:57 PM
  #5
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch
 
Frozen North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: OK
Country: United States
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
---The Wild shouldn't even be in a position where they're counting on Daigle to replace the offense that they've lost because they were too damn cheap to make fair and reasonable offers to Gaborik, Dupuis and Ronning. Those guys should all be in camp now. It's not like what any of them is asking in unreasonable, Minnesota just hasn't made any of them any offers worth considering. They were a tight-knit bunch last year, and you have to wonder how the absence of those guys is going to make the rest of the team feel. And we saw in San Jose how not getting key players signed and in camp can short-circuit your entire season.

I've lost a lot of respect for that franchise this summer. I thought they were laying the foundation for some real long-term success, but it turns out that they're apparently more concerned with affordability than quality. They could have been on their way to being what the Devils have been for the last decade, but they're now headed towards being the Bruins.

I couldn't agree more with you, Laches, they made a huge mistake by not having these guys under contract by training camp. I'm just saying that since they did screw up, they might as well take a chance with Daigle. I think that it's possible that by January, Daigle will be trading his snow shovel for a Cowboy hat (as in Houston). But that's a risk that they are willing to take.

And, as much as it hurts to say, if I was GM of an NHL franchise, I would have a really hard time saying "no" to a former first pick...even it was Daigle. What's the worst that can happen? He sucks it up for a couple of games and gets cut? Insert Wallin or Wanvig or Foy. He does good? Keep in him there.

Frozen North is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 01:29 AM
  #6
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie
 
Sad London Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: london england
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I am not sure how much Gabby wants to suit up but Dupuis for 385 is a steal!

Lets make bets: I say Daigle is out by Thanksgiving

Sad London Ranger is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.