HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking to buy first OPS

Old
07-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Looking to buy first OPS

So far I've picked up and ran with the combos and flexibilities of 2-piece sticks but I am curious to give an OPS a go. My spending preference would be under 140, flex of around 85-90, mid-heel curve (prefer modano/zetts/malkin, but open to something, well more open), 5.5 or 6 lie (6 ideal), with decent durability. I play mostly wing but have found success as an offensive defenseman. I'll probably be looking to use thing stick at a forward position but slapshots will not be out of the question.

Suggestions????

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 08:39 AM
AIREAYE

For the curve, I suggest Bauer's P106 Gagne, Easton Drury, Reebok Spezza or TPS Perry

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well there's not a huge difference between 2-piece tapered and one-piece, but a good one to try would be the Reebok 8k 85 flex Spezza, assuming you like low-kick sticks. And it's on the stiffer side of 85. If you like mid kick the One95 is the king of the hill, I'd probably try an 87 flex in either PM9 or P106.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
For the curve, I suggest Bauer's P106 Gagne, Easton Drury, Reebok Spezza or TPS Perry

I am actuall rather intrigued by this curve and I think it's what I'll end up going with. just have to choose a stick.

Old
07-16-2010, 01:22 AM
metric

X:40, regular flex, P88 is alright. It's a mid curve though.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:22 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
So far I've picked up and ran with the combos and flexibilities of 2-piece sticks but I am curious to give an OPS a go. My spending preference would be under 140, flex of around 85-90, mid-heel curve (prefer modano/zetts/malkin, but open to something, well more open), 5.5 or 6 lie (6 ideal), with decent durability. I play mostly wing but have found success as an offensive defenseman. I'll probably be looking to use thing stick at a forward position but slapshots will not be out of the question.

Suggestions????
In the Bauer line, if you like the Malkin curve, but want something a touch more aggressive, you should check out the Staal curve. The Staal is basically the Malkin, but with a higher lie, and a bit more open. If you poke around you can sometimes find One95 pro-stocks for about $150, or the standard sticks online can be had for about $190 (a touch out of your budget, I know, but it's a very nice stick).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 02:41 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

The Gagne p106 from Bauer looks like what I want. I'm going to buy the x:60 blade in that pattern to test it out. if I really like it, I'm going to look at the one95 probably as it seems to cater to my liking of slapshots

Old
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Just went to a play it again sports to look for blades and ended up with basically a brand new Synergy Elite Grip for $40. Not the curve I was quite looking for but the Sakic is more open and the lie is closer to my needs.

Old
07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
doobie604

good deal for se, good puck feel, weight, and balance. only issue is the durability of blades.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sweet deal! Play the crap out of it and when the blade breaks you cut it off and put a new one in.

Old
07-16-2010, 04:00 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by checksix View Post
X:40, regular flex, P88 is alright. It's a mid curve though.
I just bought this stick for my son. He had a Sherwood, 85 flex, Coffee curve last year....broke during his last game.

It was a good stick for him in terms of passing and shots in close around the nut, but it really sucked with slap shots from the slot area, they would go wide.

I was just wondering how you found the Bauer Vapour X40, 87 flex P88 when in came to slap shots. Where the Coffee curve was more exagerated, the P88 seems more conservative. Any insight you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 05:10 PM
doobie604

coffee curve is a banana curve i believe, so shots tend to go high and not very good for backhands. as far as choosing the right curve it's all personal preference. for your son, he needs to experiment till he finds the right curve for him. p88 is the forsberg or lindros curve, it's not open at all and not much curve, good at keeping shots low but for some people, too little curve and not open enough (harder to lift the puck). at the end of the day, its more about technique than if you're using the right curve. ofcourse the quality of the blade matters as well as some tend to go soft faster than others. once the blade goes soft, it's not very accurate at all especially for slappers.

Old
07-16-2010, 06:03 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
coffee curve is a banana curve i believe, so shots tend to go high and not very good for backhands. as far as choosing the right curve it's all personal preference. for your son, he needs to experiment till he finds the right curve for him. p88 is the forsberg or lindros curve, it's not open at all and not much curve, good at keeping shots low but for some people, too little curve and not open enough (harder to lift the puck). at the end of the day, its more about technique than if you're using the right curve. ofcourse the quality of the blade matters as well as some tend to go soft faster than others. once the blade goes soft, it's not very accurate at all especially for slappers.
Thanks!!!! I agree that the best way is for him to experiment with different stick brands and curves, but my wallet doesn't agree!

The Bauer site says the P88 is the Kane curve (if it matters). He did tend to send his slap shots high over the net as opposed to wide of it, but the "Coffee curve" worked really well in tight, lifting the puck and picking corners.

I'm from the "wood age" of sticks...I agree with you that technique is the most important thing but I'm guessing the stick selection helps (or hinders)?

What do you mean "once the blade goes soft" and how does one tell if that happens?

Thanks again

Old
07-16-2010, 06:32 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
Thanks!!!! I agree that the best way is for him to experiment with different stick brands and curves, but my wallet doesn't agree!

The Bauer site says the P88 is the Kane curve (if it matters). He did tend to send his slap shots high over the net as opposed to wide of it, but the "Coffee curve" worked really well in tight, lifting the puck and picking corners.

I'm from the "wood age" of sticks...I agree with you that technique is the most important thing but I'm guessing the stick selection helps (or hinders)?

What do you mean "once the blade goes soft" and how does one tell if that happens?

Thanks again
it does get expensive trying out new ops all the time, it would be more cost effective to go with a high end shaft like the one95 which take standard blades, that way you can have few different curves (wood blades are usually around $20 each) to test it out. once he find his curve, then you can spend more on a highend blade or getting an ops with that curve. you can test if the blade is soft by trying to twist or bend the blade. if there are any movement or sound coming from the blade it has gone or going soft and it will affect the shot.

Old
07-16-2010, 07:11 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Thanks again!!! I have SOOOOO much to learn.

Old
07-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Sweet deal! Play the crap out of it and when the blade breaks you cut it off and put a new one in.
So I can then essentially turn it into a tapered shaft? Or cut and flip it?

Old
07-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You can cut it low near the blade and put a tapered blade in it.