HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ex-Flyer Rod Brind'Amour announced his retirement (Canes to retire his jersey Feb 18)

Old
07-17-2010, 10:48 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Good move by Carolina.

A bit of trivia that involves Scott Stevens and Brendan Shanahan. When the St. Louis Blues signed Shanahan as a free agent, a Judge (different rules at the time) ruled that the Blues had to compensate the Devils by sending Stevens to New Jersey.

Brian Sutter was the Blues' head coach and he wanted/needed a d-man. He liked the Flyers' Murray Baron who was one of four players in the Brind'Amour trade to Philly. Of course, he also got his brother Ron in the trade. Ron Sutter, the Flyers' captain at the time, held out for a day in training camp to voice his displeasure with Russ Farwell and contract negotiations. When he came back to camp, Farwell traded him and Baron for Brind'Amour and Dan Quinn.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:51 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Good move by Carolina.

A bit of trivia that involves Scott Stevens and Brendan Shanahan. When the St. Louis Blues signed Shanahan as a free agent, a Judge (different rules at the time) ruled that the Blues had to compensate the Devils by sending Stevens to New Jersey.

Brian Sutter was the Blues' head coach and he wanted/needed a d-man. He liked the Flyers' Murray Baron who was one of four players in the Brind'Amour trade to Philly. Of course, he also got his brother Ron in the trade. Ron Sutter, the Flyers' captain at the time, held out for a day in training camp to voice his displeasure with Russ Farwell and contract negotiations. When he came back to camp, Farwell traded him and Baron for Brind'Amour and Dan Quinn.

at least that was one trade Farwell got right.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Beastieboy

vCash: 500
Should have never left Philly... have you seen the pic of him with the Cup by the waterfall? Dude hit the weight room a bit. Conditioning apparently not an issue. Hence the "Rod the Bod" name.

http://www.hhof.com/graphfea/SCJ06_07b.jpg

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 10:19 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
Should have never left Philly... have you seen the pic of him with the Cup by the waterfall? Dude hit the weight room a bit. Conditioning apparently not an issue. Hence the "Rod the Bod" name.

http://www.hhof.com/graphfea/SCJ06_07b.jpg
Rod Brind'Amour was legendary for his conditioning regiment. Apparently his post game workouts were comprised of 1-2 hours of hard core cardio while his teammates were recovering from playing an NHL game.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:03 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Rod Brind'Amour was legendary for his conditioning regiment. Apparently his post game workouts were comprised of 1-2 hours of hard core cardio while his teammates were recovering from playing an NHL game.
Too bad he couldn't be the new strength and conditioning coach here. I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem with conditioning or strength here ever again......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
at least that was one trade Farwell got right.
The additional note is that the Blues offered Rod Brind'Amour and Curtis Joseph (and a mid-round draft pick) to the Devils as compensation for signing Brenadan Shanahan but the Judge ruled it as insufficient and then awarded Scott Stevens to the Devils.

Old
07-19-2010, 08:26 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Rod Brindamour

is

Attached Images
File Type: jpg iron-man-brindamour.jpg‎ (34.0 KB, 6 views)

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

A few days ago someone asked about Primeau and concussions but I can't locate the thread at the moment. That thread included a Wall Street Journal article, too.

I'll place this article in this thread...

http://www.csnphilly.com/10/12/10/Wa...757&feedID=695

Quote:
So far, the athlete registry consists primarily of pro wrestlers, hockey and football players, including former NHL standout Keith Primeau and current Baltimore Ravens offensive lineman Matt Birk, according to a partial list provided to the AP.

Donors to the brain bank include former Philadelphia Eagles safety Andre Waters and Penn football player Owen Thomas, both of whom committed suicide. The family of pro wrestler Chris Benoit also bequeathed his brain after Benoit killed his wife, son and himself at his suburban Atlanta home in June 2007.

All three athletes showed signs of CTE, a disease that has been connected to depression and impulse control issues in NFL players who have sustained concussions.

Thomas, who would have been a senior, killed himself in April. He had no history of concussions, but an autopsy on Thomas' brain by the center's researchers showed he had the early stages of CTE.

Old
10-12-2010, 05:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Nice job by the Hurricanes to wait until we're in town to do it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:58 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Nice job by the Hurricanes to wait until we're in town to do it.
I can honestly say that trade was one that both teams won out on. I agree, very classy move by the organization. You know a good amount of Flyers faithful will be making their way down there.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
I can honestly say that trade was one that both teams won out on. I agree, very classy move by the organization. You know a good amount of Flyers faithful will be making their way down there.
I'm not ready to go there. Brind'Amour went to two Finals and won a Cup with an inconsistent organization. Flyers never got to the Finals with Primeau, all the time having the resources to make up for any potential difference from the trade, and having higher overall standards.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:03 PM
slitz

anyone planning on going? i booked my flight and hotel. just waiting for the ticket sale date

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:13 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Not a sad day. He's had a great career, a respected player and leader, and has won the ultimate prize. Be happy for him!!

Congrats Brindy! We still cheer you when you come to the Wach!
Couldnt agree more!! Always wished he would come back for one more cup run!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Well done by the Canes organization. Wish I could be there.
Agreed....BTW, love the new pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
anyone planning on going? i booked my flight and hotel. just waiting for the ticket sale date
Definitely gonna try and go to this....I have a friend that lives down there, good excuse to visit him

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Terence Peterman

I'm definitely trying to go. We'll see how that shakes out though.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 05:53 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
i disagree

always hated that trade

Primeau was so over rated. He had one good playoff run with us, and that was pretty much it

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:25 PM
slitz

tix on sale today. anyone get them? grabbed 3 upper. airfare on sale too at southwest. round trip about $160 after all the taxes

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitz View Post
tix on sale today. anyone get them? grabbed 3 upper. airfare on sale too at southwest. round trip about $160 after all the taxes
I got three in section 314, 33 each. I'll be driving down though.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
flountown

So anyone who is still interested in going to this but hasn't purchased tickets yet, I want to get a group of 10, I need 4 more people to get a discount and avoid paying the absurd fees to the online ticketing service (12+ bucks a ticket, F that.).

This is strictly a ticket grouping opportunity, I don't want people to think this constitutes carpooling/hotel, etc...keeping it simple. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss details, even if you are a pair and not 4, I am sure we can find a way to add up to 10.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote