HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

radical thomas/Stuart/Wheeler for Nylander/Fleishmann/Poti idea

Old
07-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
radical thomas/Stuart/Wheeler for Nylander/Fleishmann/Poti idea

my logic for Washington is they seem to need some snarl on the blueline... and im sure they cant feel confident in Varlemov being playoff ready yet after his last 2 seasons. They could always sign an ufa goalie cheaper then Thomas, but that wouldnt allow them to dump Nylander's contract onto another team.

The dollars favor Washington this year if Fleischmann/Wheeler end up with around the same contract from arbitration or if Fleishchamm gets more even.

I bet Wheeler would thrive alot better in Washington's wide open attack style too then he did being forced to check on Boston's third and fourth lines without any PP time.

the logic for Boston is that moving Thomas elliminates the need to deal Savard or send Ryder to the minors. Both moves would create bad PR for Boston in future dealins with free agents that look for security when they sign deals. Nylander has already suffered the humilation of getting sent home. Washington has earned that stigma. Boston now would simply use the situation to help Washington account for Thomas contract this year.

Poti would give the B's an upgrade in their puckmoving on their blueline over Stuart. Both will be ufa next year. Poti being added to the mix, would allow the B's to deal overpriced Hunwick to a team that felt they needed the small puckmover type on their squad. He isnt horrible for teams in rebuild molds to take a flyer on. And McQuaid/Alexandrov both make about 600k less then Hunwick does. Subbing one of them in for him frees up enough money that Boston would have around 1.5 mill to sign an ufa goalie with to backup Rask.

I think Fleishmann would be a much better winger for Krecji then Wheeler is too.

Washington might end up feeling varlemov is better then thomas next year or the year after... but thomas was a vezina winner last year and has injuries to blame this past seasons stuggles on. If healthy again, Thomas can play as good as any other goalie in the NHL when hes on his hot streaks.

5 mill isnt crazy money to pay for a goalie that can win games all by himself... after going with theodore and huet the last couple years and seeing the huge playoff busts that have come as a result.

I am a Bruin fan... and as a Bruin fan I cant see anything but positives here. Hate to see Thomas go, but am happy to trust Rask to take over... and need the money... and think Fleishmann/Poti are upgrades for our team needs over what Wheeler/Stuart deliver.

the only downside is Jacobs spends 4.8 mill on a guy sitting at home.
doesnt bother me at all... he can afford it.

i guess im wondering if anyone thinks Washington might do this... if Wheeler/Stuart would suit their team needs more... if getting rid of Nylanders contract is enough incentive to take on Thomas.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
The Caps don't need to trade Nylander...He's not going to be on the team, and he won't count against the cap.

And the Caps don't want or need Thomas and his awful contract.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:29 PM
denkiteki

vCash: 500
Huge difference is Thomas = 35+ contract, Nylander isn't. That means Nylander can be buried but Thomas can't so for the next 3 years, Thomas will be in the books no matter what while Nylander is off the book after this year and he could be buried.

I also think Was would probably take Fleishmann and Poti over Stuart and Wheeler.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote