HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rochester/St. Johns game.

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Slangston

vCash: 500
Rochester/St. Johns game.

Amerks win 6-4. JPom with the hat trick and Vanek nets two.

I was unable to make it down to the arena tonight for the game so those who did please post your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Old
04-03-2005, 08:18 PM
SkateLikeTheWind

It was a back and forth game. Vanek was pretty much invisible until late into the 3rd when he netted the game tying and game winning goals only a few minutes apart. Very chippy game with several scraps, though nobody wanted a piece of McMorrow. Miller was so-so, let in a couple weak goals, and was way out of place a couple times, but he got the W. Also Wellwood looked very good for the Leafs, I was very impressed with him.

On a side note, during one of the intermissions they had 10 high school kids partake in a shootout with the new proposed nets. There was 1 goal out of 10 breakaways. Granted they were only high school kids, but the goalies were also high schoolers as well. That didn't look good for the proposal of these nets. I dont like them anyhow.

Old
04-03-2005, 08:23 PM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
Amerks win 6-4. JPom with the hat trick and Vanek nets two.

I was unable to make it down to the arena tonight for the game so those who did please post your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
It seemed to be a much faster game than the last one in Buffalo. Much more exciting too, lots of good chances for both teams. Several of the STJohns goals were on defensive mis-cues. On one, the defenceman over commited on a two on one, then Miller let in one that he should have stopped.

On the good side, the Amerks answered back on the STJohns goals fairly quickly. Until the forth goal, I don't think StJohns lead for more than 2 minutes at a time. The Amerks didn't take the lead until halfway through the third, after the score was tied at 4.

There were a lot of fights too. The Amerks seemed to be getting thown down in to the ice in most of them. Most of them were at the other end of the ice so I didn't have too good a view of them.

Old
04-03-2005, 08:37 PM
sabrefan27

The Amerks defense was just clueless. 3 of the 4 goals they scored coul dhave been easily prevented. All the credit I gave Miller earlier this season, and now I'd almost be more confident with Askey. How he lets that shot from the high slot in I don't know. You don't win in the playoffs with average goaltending, and the Amerks aren't even getting that from Miller. Yeah he made some nice saves, but he's inconsistant.

Old
04-03-2005, 08:57 PM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
The Amerks defense was just clueless. 3 of the 4 goals they scored coul dhave been easily prevented. All the credit I gave Miller earlier this season, and now I'd almost be more confident with Askey. How he lets that shot from the high slot in I don't know. You don't win in the playoffs with average goaltending, and the Amerks aren't even getting that from Miller. Yeah he made some nice saves, but he's inconsistant.

Does that mean we now have 3 inconsistent goalteding possibilities?

Old
04-03-2005, 08:59 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
It's looking like it. And Noronen and Biron were both much more consistant then Miller ever has been.

Old
04-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Sound_n_Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateLikeTheWind
Vanek was pretty much invisible until late into the 3rd when he netted the game tying and game winning goals only a few minutes apart.
I went primarily to see Vanek and I guess I have mixed feelings. On his two goals, he showed the scoring touch the Sabres have been seeking for over a decade. Very impressive. However, I was real disappointed with his work ethic for most of the game...he seemed to loaf alot, and ony tuned it on in the last eight minutes of the 3rd period.

The guy I was most impressed with was Daniel Paille. He played a very heady game and always seemed to be making things happen when he was on the ice.

The 4th St. John's goal was really weak and Miller's lucky the boys still had enough in the tank (3rd game in 3 days) to pull his fat out of the fire. Inconsistent effort, although I don't know if he played all three games this weekend.

Overall, I was a little unimpressed with the Amerks and wondered where the team that rolled up 48 wins was hiding for much of the game.

(P.S. I was really impressed by the High School goalie for the Buffalo squad during the 2nd period shootout...I wonder if this kid has any long-term potential.)

Old
04-03-2005, 09:28 PM
SkateLikeTheWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_n_Fury
I went primarily to see Vanek and I guess I have mixed feelings. On his two goals, he showed the scoring touch the Sabres have been seeking for over a decade. Very impressive. However, I was real disappointed with his work ethic for most of the game...he seemed to loaf alot, and ony tuned it on in the last eight minutes of the 3rd period.

(P.S. I was really impressed by the High School goalie for the Buffalo squad during the 2nd period shootout...I wonder if this kid has any long-term potential.)
I agree with you on Vanek. He only seems to play hard in the offensive zone or when the pucks on his stick. I dont know if this is something he will grow out of, but if he doesn't I cant imagine he will see a lot of ice with the big boys.

As for the Buffalo squads goaltender, he is playing for the Lightning (Jr A.) He only 17 maybe 18 now and they picked him up when he was 15. So he does have some talent, he just hasnt been given the chance to get any time in there, maybe next year.

Old
04-03-2005, 09:46 PM
AmerksFan

Quote:
I agree with you on Vanek. He only seems to play hard in the offensive zone or when the pucks on his stick. I dont know if this is something he will grow out of, but if he doesn't I cant imagine he will see a lot of ice with the big boys.
Vanek has been coasting for the past few weeks, playing exactly like you say. He stands around most of the game, refuses to play defense, and only gets energized when he has a scoring chance. The good news is he can SCORE, but he needs to wake up the rest of the game. He had improved the rest of his game throughout the season, but just stopped caring after we clinched the playoff spot. I hope he learns that he can't pull that in the big league.

Old
04-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Sound_n_Fury

Quote:
He seemed bored to me, like he knew he had more talent than anyone on the ice and could turn it on whenever he wanted to. There were times when he could have jumped into holes and made something happen, but he just glided along.

He does have a fabulous set of hands though....he's the best prospect the Sabres have had in a long, long time. It'll also be interesting to see how he reacts when Lindy asks him to backcheck a bit.

Old
04-03-2005, 11:58 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

albany game 4/2

i was at the albany game last night and sorta noticed the same thing about how vanek seems
but he made some brilliant plays from the circles in and that is really all i need to see

i figure it doesnt matter what it looks like he is thinking, as long as he produces results, and until the results aren't there, i have no complaints

you guys mentioned tonight's game was chippy, well so was the albany game last night
and vanek was in the middle of some of it, which i like to see because i think it shows he's into the game
he landed a haymaker after the whistle in front of the albany net which caused plenty of a ruckus
also got rough in front of the net with a cross check later in the game

Old
04-04-2005, 01:34 AM
MrRuin

I think the lack of defensive effort since clinching a playoff spot can be said for anyone on the team and not only for Vanek. Offensively he has been one of the few who produced during the past few weaker games. Im pretty sure that come the playoffs things will chage, not just for Vanek but the whole amerks team.

Old
04-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I was impressed with the combined 81 shots on goal. The game had some good pace, though a messure of that was certainly due some poor decision making at key moments by Amerk defensemen (Brandon Smith on Wellwood's second goal in particular). I was shocked to see that Jillson came out of the game +4... I thought he was out of position a number of times leading to far too many odd-man rushes. And it's not a "bag on Jillson" thing for me, the kid has some skills and I'm willing to see what becomes of them, but I thought he looked confused on when to pinch and when to join the rush. Eh.

Losing Thorburn in that second period tussle with Wilm hurts. He was his usual energetic self. In particular Paille's "shortie" was due to a sweet cross slot pass off the rush (penalty time expired 2 seconds before he scored). Paille looked good in his checking role, though I still have questions about his finish.

No Novotny, no Roy, no Ryan and Paetsch back up on the wing... add Thorburn to the injury list and I would expect to see Sheppard back up from the ECHL. Ryan Bennett was ok in an energy role, but that " 6'0" " listing seems pretty liberal.

Miller did not look all that sharp, then again, neither did Tellqvist.

04-04-2005, 03:13 PM
WhoozYerrDaddy

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think that the only thing that is consistent is their inconsistency. Does that mean that they are consistently inconsistent?? Or are they inconsistently being consistent??

Daddy

Last edited by WhoozYerrDaddy: 04-04-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old
04-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_n_Fury

The guy I was most impressed with was Daniel Paille. He played a very heady game and always seemed to be making things happen when he was on the ice.
Missed this game, but those were my thoughts in the other two Amerks games, that were played at HSBC. Vanek is indeed creative with the puck, but seems somewhat passive without it. Paille will never be a scoring dynamo, but he works hard and his defensive awareness saves a lot of effort for the coaching staff.

-----

Incidentally, were there a massive influx from Toronto with neverending chants of "Go Leafs Go"?

Old
04-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Sound_n_Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Incidentally, were there a massive influx from Toronto with neverending chants of "Go Leafs Go"?
There were a lot of Leafs fans, but they were relatively quite. They were loudest when booing the Sabres' proposed new nets that were shown during the 2nd period intermission.

Old
04-05-2005, 03:20 PM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Missed this game, but those were my thoughts in the other two Amerks games, that were played at HSBC. Vanek is indeed creative with the puck, but seems somewhat passive without it. Paille will never be a scoring dynamo, but he works hard and his defensive awareness saves a lot of effort for the coaching staff.

-----

I didn't hear any annoying "Go Leafs Go" chants, and I don't even remeber seeing anyone in a Leaf's sweater...

Old
04-05-2005, 04:58 PM
SkateLikeTheWind

Quote:
I didn't hear any annoying "Go Leafs Go" chants, and I don't even remeber seeing anyone in a Leaf's sweater...
Yeah there were a few leafs sweaters in the section I was sitting in. They were relatively quit. I think they saving it for the next time the Leafs and Sabres play in Buffalo.

Closed Thread