HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Big Hits on star players

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2005, 12:21 AM
trickster

vCash: 500
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
It was Bill McCreary and he was a Maple Leaf. It was one of the few times Gretzky was absolutely crushed in his career, and the only time I could remember when he was an Oiler with Semenko riding shotgun. It was on some of the early Rock em Sock em tapes.
Bill McCreary? I havent seen hockey in so long... at the risk of sounding silly, didnt he become a ref?

Old
03-28-2005, 12:26 AM
trickster

Some big hits I remember

Wendel Clark on ... Wendel Clark - repeated too many times... Body couldnt take it any more...

Alfredsson on Domi - vicious... but enabled the Leafs to eliminate the rat face's team

McSorely on Gilmour... wowsers... Wendel to the rescue

Didnt Bobby Clarke break a guys leg in the summit series?

Not really a hit, but Gretzky's slash on Gilmour is still a ripe discussion topic!

Stevens hitting someone --- and their stick went flying... who was that... (probably has happened so many times)...

2nd worst in my books - Patty Lafontaine... when he ran into his own teammate...

WORST ? Lowry on Gilmour... What a terrible way to finish --- at Least killer got to put a Leafs jersey on one more time.

Old
03-28-2005, 01:09 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster
Bill McCreary? I havent seen hockey in so long... at the risk of sounding silly, didnt he become a ref?

Here is a bio from current Providence College player Bill McCreary that should answer your question:

http://friars.collegesports.com/spor...ry_bill00.html

Old
03-28-2005, 01:10 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by (lone)Yashinfan#79
from the 20th Century Hockey Chronicle:

Propp on Chelios: "he's just a lousy person."
Chelios on Propp: "he's a gutless jerk."

props to Kariya for coming back a few mins later with the gutsy clutch slapper.

Any idea when those quotes were made? During the series? More recently?

Old
03-28-2005, 01:13 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Wendel Clark on ... Wendel Clark - repeated too many times... Body couldnt take it any more...

Alfredsson on Domi - vicious... but enabled the Leafs to eliminate the rat face's team

Not really a hit, but Gretzky's slash on Gilmour is still a ripe discussion topic!

Stevens hitting someone --- and their stick went flying... who was that... (probably has happened so many times)...

2nd worst in my books - Patty Lafontaine... when he ran into his own teammate...

WORST ? Lowry on Gilmour... What a terrible way to finish --- at Least killer got to put a Leafs jersey on one more time.

Clarke broke the ankle of Kharmalov I think it was. Anyway it was on the best Russian player.

Old
03-28-2005, 01:21 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:

Box score and game six story of the 1972 Summit Series:

http://www.1972summitseries.com/game6recap.html

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-28-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old
03-28-2005, 08:12 AM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Box score and game six story of the 1972 Summit Series:

http://www.1972summitseries.com/game6recap.html
CBC tonight at 9m has a 1 hr show on what happened to the Soviets who played in and watched the 72 series.

Old
03-28-2005, 08:19 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Vladimir Konstantinov had several highlight hits on the biggest stars.

Old
03-28-2005, 09:06 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Anyone remember a couple years ago the Darcy Tucker hit on Pavel Bure (on FLA). Bure was admiring a pass on Tucker drilled him. Gave Bure a concussion, and he was out awhile after that. Later in that game, Weimer butt-ended Tucker in the face, giving him a huge gouge on his cheek.

Old
03-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Big Phil

Quinn on Orr in '69 was a little bit of an elbow. It led to a bench clearing brawl in which even the Bruins fans were punching the Leafs from over the glass. Entertaining to watch though. Orr was okay after that though, it was just a very big hit.

Old
03-30-2005, 12:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Midway through the 1975-76 season, Vancouver's Harold Snepsts body-checked Rick MacLeish resulting in torn knee ligaments and a season-ending injury (including the entire playoffs) for the Flyers' star.

Old
04-04-2005, 03:07 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
After Ulf Samuelsson's disgusting hit on Neely, did anybody come after Ulfy hurting him?
I dont know if it has been mentioned yet, but When Cam came back and played He tried to get Ulf to fight in a game against Boston and Ths POS turtled and Cam got kicked out of the game. Brian Sutter was the Bruins coach then and he went nuts when Cam got thrown out.

Old
04-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Terrier

Quote:

Regarding Lafontaine, are you referring to the incident at Madison Square Garden where he was sent spinning into the air and was pretty much knocked out cold? I remember the collision but not who was involved.

Old
04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Dirty hits or big hits? I've got two on everybody's favorite pretty boy (one was mentioned earlier).

Dirty - Salei's cross-check from behind on Modano in the second game of the season, 1999. Caused Brett Hull to pick a fight. Several other Stars got injured in that game (Sydor got his eye-socket broken, something happened to Nieuwendyk as well).

Hard but (mostly) clean - Roenick on Modano, part un (Phoenix, the retaliation a few games later from Hatcher broke Roenick's jaw) et deux (Philly). For being pretty close friends, Roenick sure loves to give Modano concussions. Fun times for all!

Actaully, that Hatcher on Roenick hit deserves a mention in and of itself.

Old
04-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Habsaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenriz
Ulf Samuellson on Cam Neely

Old
04-04-2005, 07:48 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
Dirty hits or big hits? I've got two on everybody's favorite pretty boy (one was mentioned earlier).

Dirty - Salei's cross-check from behind on Modano in the second game of the season, 1999. Caused Brett Hull to pick a fight. Several other Stars got injured in that game (Sydor got his eye-socket broken, something happened to Nieuwendyk as well).

Back when the Ducks and Stars had a rivalry.

I remember some Stars players saying how the Ducks had held a grudge against them for the Ludwig elbow on Selanne and thats why Salei took out Modano.

That elbow on Selanne was the same season that Kariya got Sutered. After that elbow the Ducks just went nuts. Sydor somehow ends up against enforcers in brawls with the Ducks. Severyn tagged him in that brawl and during the Salei-Modano game McKenzie dropped him.

Old
04-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by (lone)Yashinfan#79
Propp on Chelios: "he's just a lousy person."
Chelios on Propp: "he's a gutless jerk."
Both pretty good judges of character, but I'll take the lousy person on my team any day.

Old
04-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
It wasn't the second game of the season, it was about a third of the way in. I don't recall it provoking any fight from Hull. Sydor was injured in a fight with McKenzie, when McKenzie continued punching after Sydor turtled. Salei, McKenzie and another Duck were suspended.

I thought the Salei penalty was overrated. He basically gave Modano a shove as Modano was skating towards the goaline and Modano's momentum took him into the boards. There was much gnashing of teeth from the Stars camp, and a few statements from Modano on how the game had to be cleaned up of that sort of thing, but when the Ludwig incident with Teemu was brought up, neither Hitchcock or Modano wanted to talk about it.

Old
04-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
It wasn't the second game of the season, it was about a third of the way in. I don't recall it provoking any fight from Hull. Sydor was injured in a fight with McKenzie, when McKenzie continued punching after Sydor turtled. Salei, McKenzie and another Duck were suspended.

I thought the Salei penalty was overrated. He basically gave Modano a shove as Modano was skating towards the goaline and Modano's momentum took him into the boards. There was much gnashing of teeth from the Stars camp, and a few statements from Modano on how the game had to be cleaned up of that sort of thing, but when the Ludwig incident with Teemu was brought up, neither Hitchcock or Modano wanted to talk about it.
*nods* I knew it was early. I thought it was the second, but six years will do that to you. And I coulda sworn Hull fought... I know he said afterwards that he thought Modano was dead when he didn't move. And as for the Sydor fight... you say turtled, I say he was pulled into a fight he wanted no part of, knowing he get killed. You don't fight unwilling opponents, and McKenzie has never gained my respect back.

As for the Salei hit, I can see your point. However, you don't cross check players in the back for just that reason. Modano was, according to doctors, 2 cm. away from breaking his neck. You can call that overrated. I call it disaster narrowly avoided. Was the suspension more severe because of the scary injury? Heck yes. But that happens in this league (see: Bertuzzi-Moore and all the people calling for the "don't come back until the person you hurt comes back" type rules).

As for the "gnashing of teeth" in the Stars camp, what actually happened was a bunch of Stars promised revenge. And Modano came out and said "don't do that on my behalf; don't make this uglier than it has to be" or something to that effect, and then continued that the game needed to be cleaned up. I'm all for a physical game, really I am. I love hipchecks and cleaning somebody's clock. But that dangerous stuff has to stop. You can't beintentionally causing people to fall head-first into the boards. No one wins when that happens.

Old
04-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Snap Wilson

Re: McKenzie, I agreed with the suspension at the time. Whether or not Sydor was roped into a fight he didn't want, McKenzie shouldn't have continued punching after Sydor tucked his head in. McKenzie always had the annoying habit of going after players much smaller than he was. I thought he was a pretty useless player, but then again New Jersey made good use of him, so what do I know?

I think instances like the Salei hit happen all the time, quite honestly. I remember there being a huge discussion between a friend of mine and I about it, and in the aftermath, we'd watch games and I'd note all the similar hits that take place around the boards. Most of them were even closer to the boards, actually. Now if Salei was close to breaking Modano's neck (I don't recall that, exactly... I thought Mike's injury was from the collision with the boards), that is disaster narrowly-averted, but I don't believe it was intentional.

I'll take your word for it on Modano's intent. I do recall Hitchcock going off on Salei and declining comment on Ludwig during the same interview, which struck me as being pretty hypocritical.

Old
04-05-2005, 04:36 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
*nods* I knew it was early. I thought it was the second, but six years will do that to you. And I coulda sworn Hull fought....
I'm pretty sure he fought Salei as well. I have it on video somewhere I'll have to search for it, but I think your right.

Old
04-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier
Regarding Lafontaine, are you referring to the incident at Madison Square Garden where he was sent spinning into the air and was pretty much knocked out cold? I remember the collision but not who was involved.
Yeah that was early on in '96-97. That was Francois Leroux that hit him of Pittsburgh. Leroux was about 6'5" and he levelled Lafontaine who was 5'10". Hard top say if it was an elbow or not but Lafontaine took the year of and then came back for only one more season. That has to be what you are thinking about. It was a sad sight.

Closed Thread