HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
Whew, ok. I really want to see it. I was basing that on the Union site from a couple of days ago... they had no tv broadcast listed like they did for the other games. Thanks for the heads up.
I don't know if I want to tune in for that one. On the other hand, it's just a friendly and there are no expectations, so if they can hang it would be nice.

Old
07-16-2010, 05:53 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
On a side note, I can't stand the way MLS teams are named. The mere mention of "New York Red Bulls" or "Real Salt Lake" makes me instantly facepalm.

I do like our name though (and uniforms). At least we look and sound like we belong with the big boys.
NY Red Bulls beats the hell out of the New York New Jersey MetroStars.

Old
07-16-2010, 06:44 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
On a side note, I can't stand the way MLS teams are named. The mere mention of "New York Red Bulls" or "Real Salt Lake" makes me instantly facepalm.

I do like our name though (and uniforms). At least we look and sound like we belong with the big boys.
Real Salt Lake is an awesome name. I like that some of the teams decided to go with a more European naming style. D.C. United, Real Salt Lake, Toronto F.C. That's great. Columbus Crew, LA Galaxy, Houston Dynamo blow. Why we insist on having mascots and names for everything is really stupid. I'm glad some of the MLS teams are passing on that.

Awful MLS names:
San Jose Earthquakes (I get the theme, but it sounds retarded)
Chicago Fire (:facepalm)
Columbus Crew (what?)
Kansas City Wizards (sounds like they love their Harry Potter)
Houston Dynamo (fail)
Los Angeles Galaxy (Galaxy might be the worst club nickname ever)
Portland Timbers (Portland Trees)
Vancouver Whitecaps FC (they have mountains, good for them)
Montreal Impact ()

Awesome MLS names:
D.C. United (simple, solid)
New England Revolution (kickass logo too)
Philadelphia Union (I wasnt crazy about it at first, but I'm warming up to it)
Toronto FC (nice)
C.D. Chivas USA (cool story)
Colorado Rapids (this sounds ok)
FC Dallas (again, simple)
Seattle Sounders FC (decent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
NY Red Bulls beats the hell out of the New York New Jersey MetroStars.
New York United would be sweet.

Old
07-16-2010, 07:15 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
I hate "Real Salt Lake". Real isn't a nickname. It's an honor bestowed on a club by the King/Queen. It's the equivalent of being a 'Royal Yacht Club' or something like that in Canada or England.

When the King of America grants Salt Lake the honor, then they could use it.

Old
07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I hate "Real Salt Lake". Real isn't a nickname. It's an honor bestowed on a club by the King/Queen. It's the equivalent of being a 'Royal Yacht Club' or something like that in Canada or England.

My thoughts exactly.

Old
07-16-2010, 10:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
In a lot of club soccer there isn't a nickname associated in the official team name.

Old
07-17-2010, 01:52 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
In a lot of club soccer there isn't a nickname associated in the official team name.
well, using nicknames officially to recognize teams or clubs is solely an american thing. most of the time the club has their official name, which represents the location, history or designation of the club and any nicknames linked to said team are usually coined by fans or supporters. such as the red devils or reds for man u, the hammers for west ham or the villians for aston villa.

personally, in most aspects of north american sports, i don't mind it. but americanizing soccer is disgraceful in most cases. San Jose Earthquakes? really? the rest of the world already doesn't take the MLS seriously, do we really need that?

Old
07-17-2010, 02:19 PM
KevinLin

Danny Mwanga's 19th birthday. I expect GOALS!

Old
07-17-2010, 02:19 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
well, using nicknames officially to recognize teams or clubs is solely an american thing. most of the time the club has their official name, which represents the location, history or designation of the club and any nicknames linked to said team are usually coined by fans or supporters. such as the red devils or reds for man u, the hammers for west ham or the villians for aston villa.

personally, in most aspects of north american sports, i don't mind it. but americanizing soccer is disgraceful in most cases. San Jose Earthquakes? really? the rest of the world already doesn't take the MLS seriously, do we really need that?
This exactly.

Old
07-17-2010, 03:11 PM
flybynite77

Well first off if you're calling it 'soccer' haven't you already Americanized it?

I don't care about team nicknames. The J-league is better than the MLS IMO and the J-league has plenty of teams with nicknames. The league has only existed since the early 90s, but many of the teams in it have been clubs or in other leagues and existed for 40 or 50 years. So I really don't care whether the MLS uses nicknames or not.

Some fans will complain that they're trying 'to copy' the rest of the world with a FC or United used for a club in the MLS (which is silly since almost every league in the world has a FC or the equivalent of that in the language of the country so if every other country can copy, why can't the US?).

Ultimately it won't be if a team is called the Utah Lumberjacks or Cleveland Steamers that determines if the MLS is taken seriously or not, it'll be the quality of play.

Old
07-17-2010, 03:25 PM
MountainHawk

The complaint about FC is we call it soccer, so it should be SC. There are some SCs in the lower level of US Soccer.

Old
07-17-2010, 04:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Le Toux hits the PK in the 95th minute to win the game

Old
07-17-2010, 05:03 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Watched some of the game today; just came to query why the Union has no corporate sponsorship on their uniforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Awful MLS names:
Vancouver Whitecaps FC (they have mountains, good for them)
Actually, they're named the Whitecaps because an executive of the club (possibly the owner; I can't remember), while looking across the Burrard Inlet noted there were 'white caps' on the water AND the mountains. It's a fantastic name for a Vancouver based team... much more unique to the city than 'Canucks', 'Canadians' (semi-pro baseball), or 'Lions' (Canadian Football League).

Old
07-17-2010, 06:37 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Watched some of the game today; just came to query why the Union has no corporate sponsorship on their uniforms.
They must be holding out for Wawa. To be honest, I don't think anyone truly knows for sure. I kind of dig it, though. I need to go get a jersey before they get sponsored.

Old
07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
KevinLin

We're not sure why the Union have no Jersey sponsor. People speculate that it has to do with the DP or lack thereof. But not really sure.

Old
07-17-2010, 10:12 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLin View Post
We're not sure why the Union have no Jersey sponsor. People speculate that it has to do with the DP or lack thereof. But not really sure.
The lack of a sponsor makes it tough to afford a DP, though, so we've got a hell of a chicken v. egg problem on our hands if that's the case.

Old
07-18-2010, 04:36 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Whew, ok. I really want to see it. I was basing that on the Union site from a couple of days ago... they had no tv broadcast listed like they did for the other games. Thanks for the heads up.
I'm going with a couple friends. The first half should at least be interesting, but it's a mid-season friendly for the Union so they'll be pulling most of the starters after halftime. Vs. Celtic, only the four defenders played played 90. Everyone else went 45 and the starting keeper didn't play at all.

It'll be 10 days after the match til our next league game though, plus we have a couple injuries and a thin roster, so we'll see.

Old
07-18-2010, 04:39 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Um, DP?

EDIT: Designated player, yeah? Like Donovan, Henry, Beckham etc.?

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 07-18-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old
07-18-2010, 11:52 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
I'm going with a couple friends. The first half should at least be interesting, but it's a mid-season friendly for the Union so they'll be pulling most of the starters after halftime. Vs. Celtic, only the four defenders played played 90. Everyone else went 45 and the starting keeper didn't play at all.

It'll be 10 days after the match til our next league game though, plus we have a couple injuries and a thin roster, so we'll see.
Yeah, our defense needed the practice. They have been the most disappointing part about the team so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Um, DP?

EDIT: Designated player, yeah? Like Donovan, Henry, Beckham etc.?
Yep, like Donovan, Henry and Beckham. (Donovan has a special contract that is over the limit, which is why he is a DP even though he is American.)

Old
07-18-2010, 12:21 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:

Uuhmmm I'm pretty sure the name is that because there's a connection between Real Madrid... Might be a long shot though, but I do know every year they have a set of friendlies with Real Madrid ever since the team formed.

And then theres this -

"As of September of the 2006 season, Real Salt Lake and Real Madrid have signed a 10-year co-operative agreement."

Old
07-18-2010, 12:24 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Uuhmmm I'm pretty sure the name is that because there's a connection between Real Madrid... Might be a long shot though, but I do know every year they have a set of friendlies with Real Madrid ever since the team formed.

And then theres this -

"As of September of the 2006 season, Real Salt Lake and Real Madrid have signed a 10-year co-operative agreement."
There was no connection when the team was named, AFAIK. And it's still not a nickname.

Old
07-18-2010, 12:32 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Went to the Union vs. Celtics game and it was awesome! Can't wait to go back to a Union game, the vibe was incredible.

I've been to a handful of D.C. United games in the late 90's early 00's and they felt nothing like the Union game. I'm loving the River End and the chants they scream.

The opposing goal kick chant was hilarious.

Old
07-18-2010, 07:18 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Watched some of the game today; just came to query why the Union has no corporate sponsorship on their uniforms

Actually, they're named the Whitecaps because an executive of the club (possibly the owner; I can't remember), while looking across the Burrard Inlet noted there were 'white caps' on the water AND the mountains. It's a fantastic name for a Vancouver based team... much more unique to the city than 'Canucks', 'Canadians' (semi-pro baseball), or 'Lions' (Canadian Football League).
That's a cool story.

Quote:
There was no connection when the team was named, AFAIK. And it's still not a nickname.
Why does Salt Lake need a nickname?

Old
07-18-2010, 07:26 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
That's a cool story.

Why does Salt Lake need a nickname?
I didn't mean they needed a nickname. I'm just saying it's idiotic they use a Spanish Royal honor.

Old
07-18-2010, 07:36 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Here's Le Toux's winner
http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/new...x-wins-it-spot

Closed Thread