HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Dan Carcillo to 1-year deal worth $1.075 mill

Old
07-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
You can argue that about any 4th line. Carcillo sat for whole periods during the playoffs.

Edit: Really, being intimidating can really get to some teams. Others it won't. Having Shelley available as a "4th" 4th line player gives the Flyers some options going into each game.
Carcillo was injured for large portions of the playoffs. Also, we are talking about his 4th line play here, not his top line play which should never happen. Also, Shelley is a penalty taking machine. You give him larger minutes and he'll make you pay. Per 60 minutes of play Carcillo will take 1.2 (of course, he'll draw tons more) while Shelley will take 2.1 (while drawing virtually none.)

Carcillo, Betts, and Lappy have all proven to be able to either play 10 minutes at even strength or play 10 minutes in a combination of ES and PK.

Shelley doesn't PK and can't be trusted to play more than a handful of minutes per game. His TOI has been between 4 and 7 minutes for his career.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
You can argue that about any 4th line. Carcillo sat for whole periods during the playoffs.

carcillo had a knee injury during the playoffs

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:45 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Carcillo was injured for large portions of the playoffs. Also, we are talking about his 4th line play here, not his top line play which should never happen. Also, Shelley is a penalty taking machine. You give him larger minutes and he'll make you pay. Per 60 minutes of play Carcillo will take 1.2 (of course, he'll draw tons more) while Shelley will take 2.1 (while drawing virtually none.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Ok, bad example. Good point.

Even so, look at players like Cote, who were healthy scratches. Also, there's no cap in the playoffs, so his price won't matter.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:

Even so, look at players like Cote, who were healthy scratches. Also, there's no cap in the playoffs, so his price won't matter.
Yes it will. Because he'll be ****ing up our cap the entire regular season and, obviously the following offseason.

He's a useless addition for the team.

Old
07-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

You're just digging yourself a hole here.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Jester

Quote:

Edit: Really, being intimidating can really get to some teams. Others it won't. Having Shelley available as a "4th" 4th line player gives the Flyers some options going into each game.
I think Holmgren's a *ing idiot, but even I don't think he's dumb enough to sign a guy from 3 years at 1.1M if he expects him not to be dressing on a regular basis.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:02 PM
BlueWings4

Carcillo will certainly dress. The organization and dumb fans alike have a raging boner for him. He's a 3/4th line agitator, nothing more nothing less. If he sniffs first line again I will go bazerk.

BlueWings4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:13 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWings4 View Post
Carcillo will certainly dress. The organization and dumb fans alike have a raging boner for him. He's a 3/4th line agitator, nothing more nothing less. If he sniffs first line again I will go bazerk.
Welcome to the boards.

I couldn't agree more - while I'm not a huge Carcillo fan (okay, that's putting it mildly), he did grow on me last season. I thought the 4th line with Betts, Lappy and Carcillo was the best 4th line in the league. But at no time should Carcillo ever be on the top line.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Welcome to the boards.

I couldn't agree more - while I'm not a huge Carcillo fan (okay, that's putting it mildly), he did grow on me last season. I thought the 4th line with Betts, Lappy and Carcillo was the best 4th line in the league. But at no time should Carcillo ever be on the top line.
I honestly do not mind if Carcillo takes a few shifts on top line. He can fore-check, he brings energy, keeps opposition d-men on their heels. He can make a few plays and help out our team. Just like he did against the Devils. One OT goal and once he fore-check and Richards scored a goal.

If Hartnell, Zherdev or anyoen else are not moving their feet, give a chance to the mad-men he won't let you down.

Yes, keeping hi on top line on regular basis is pushing it.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I honestly do not mind if Carcillo takes a few shifts on top line. He can fore-check, he brings energy, keeps opposition d-men on their heels. He can make a few plays and help out our team. Just like he did against the Devils. One OT goal and once he fore-check and Richards scored a goal.

If Hartnell, Zherdev or anyoen else are not moving their feet, give a chance to the mad-men he won't let you down.

Putting him on a top 6 line to punish a lazy player every now and then is fine. But his calling in life is to be a 4th liner. It's something he is great at, just so long as that line is getting at least 9-10 mins a game.

Old
07-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

I don't like this. I've been agreeing with allot of what you are posting recently lol.

Carcillo actually looks ok on a top line as long as it's temporary. He will join the rush, smack some people's heads about, and make every defenseman on the ice look to see where he is. Not because he's a good player, but because he has a terrible reputation for throwing cheap and dirty hits.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Putting him on a top 6 line to punish a lazy player every now and then is fine. But his calling in life is to be a 4th liner. It's something he is great at, just so long as that line is getting at least 9-10 mins a game.
But when Carcillo was put with Gagne and Richards, he revitalized their entire seasons. His energy was infectious. He has the speed and skill to play the hitter/digger role with elite players. That is something guys like Asham and Shelley can't do (and Lappy can't do any more either).

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
And then a sports hernia...

Old
07-18-2010, 06:06 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
But when Carcillo was put with Gagne and Richards, he revitalized their entire seasons. His energy was infectious. He has the speed and skill to play the hitter/digger role with elite players. That is something guys like Asham and Shelley can't do (and Lappy can't do any more either).
So, Carcillo made Gagne and Richards better? Right.......

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:31 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
No, he woke them up to play up to their potential again.

I could see Carcillo fit pretty well on Carter's wing.
JvR-Carter-Carcillo would be alot like Hartnell-Carter-Lupul line not very long ago.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:46 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post

JvR-Carter-Carcillo would be alot like Hartnell-Carter-Lupul line not very long ago.
That doesnt mean though he deserves a top 9 spot because they were in a ditch last season. He didnt look that good on that line outside a few games. He looked out of place.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post

He woke Mike up? Carcillo is a 3rd line foreword at best who will take a occasional shift on the other lines. Now I would love for him to prove me wrong because it would make our team better. See I was and still am a big Upshall fan. The kid was a true Flyer and loved being here. Damn Cap. So it is hard for me to accept Dan. Fair? Absolutely not. But that is the way it is. As far as the comparison between the two lines go. If Dan is playing with Jeff then either he has really stepped up his game or we are in trouble.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:37 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
He woke Mike up? Carcillo is a 3rd line foreword at best who will take a occasional shift on the other lines. Now I would love for him to prove me wrong because it would make our team better. See I was and still am a big Upshall fan. The kid was a true Flyer and loved being here. Damn Cap. So it is hard for me to accept Dan. Fair? Absolutely not. But that is the way it is. As far as the comparison between the two lines go. If Dan is playing with Jeff then either he has really stepped up his game or we are in trouble.
1) Carcillo to the 3rd line - why?

Well, we have four (five if Powe resigns) bottom line forwards: Lappy, Shelley, Betts, Carcillo. Out of all of them, Danny has the most upside in his game, hence Shelley(or Powe) - Betts - Laperriere 4th line and Carcillo gets promoted to the 3rd. Let's not forget the guy really has some hands, doesn't use them often but we'll continue to see those once-a-season dandies (vs. Leafs january '10).

2) Carter to the 3rd line - why?

Well, he has little to no chemistry with anyone.

HBL-line is untouchable, atleast for now.
Zherdev and Giroux NEEDS the puck, doesn't fit well with puck-hog Jeff.
He could roll well with Richie, BUT I'd love to see how Zherdev-Richards-Giroux line would work.
Then we have van Riemsdyk - still on his learning path.
James playing with Carter, who creates alot of opportunities (rebounds mainly) would help him to put up some serious points (Lupul style).
And with Carcillo who will take care of the physical business and puck-digging in the corners, also allows JvR to use his frame and hit people without being in danger of retaliatory ****, Danny is more than willing to jump into the hassle and take the spotlight.

I do see JvR-Carter-Carcillo line very similar to Hartnell-Carter-Lupul line we had not long ago, nobody knows how it worked so well but it did and that's all matters.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:20 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I believe the Gagne - Richards - Carcillo line performed a whole lot better than the Gagne - Richards - Carter line in the playoffs. This of course does in no way mean that Carcillo is a better player than Carter or that Carcillo made Gagne or Richards play better. However, I believe it showed that a line that consists of two natural wingers and a center works better than a line that consists of one winger and two centers, one of which is being forced to play the wing and isn't really good at it.

That is in fact a problem we have observed over the past two years which is why I'd be much more willing to trade Carter than I'd be willing to trade Gagne. Of course Carcillo wouldn't get the spot he used to have anymore. That would be taken up by Zherdev now.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 01:00 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I think if Carcillo comes into camp and works on his work along the boards and play in front of the net he could actually work with Carter/JVR. I think it could be a decent line with Carcillo doing all the dirty work and standing in front of the net.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Larry44

Quote:
They both said his enthusiasm rubbed off on them, and he created space for them. Chemistry on lines is a funny thing, when Lavy moved Carcillo up to their wing, they both played better.