CHL 2010-11 -- 18 teams, two divisions

Old
07-13-2010, 07:05 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
CHL 2010-11 -- 18 teams, two divisions

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4048278

Interesting alignment of two nine-team conference divisions.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:34 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4048278

Interesting alignment of two nine-team conference divisions.
I saw this earlier today and I like it. My big question for someone more Knowledgeable about the CHL-IHL affiliation: Does this mean the IHL is dead? b/c this seems like a merger/the IHL being absorbed into the CHL, rather than an affiliation agreement between two leagues.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
I saw this earlier today and I like it. My big question for someone more Knowledgeable about the CHL-IHL affiliation: Does this mean the IHL is dead? b/c this seems like a merger/the IHL being absorbed into the CHL, rather than an affiliation agreement between two leagues.
Not that anyone cares. I do think the IHL is completely dead now.

With that said. This is the first year in years I actually plan on going to a handful of Komet games. Outside of free tickets I have not supported the IHL one bit. I wanted AHL, but I will support the CHL. I hope it works.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Parrish

Actually scratch that. I just read that 16 of the 18 teams in the CHL will make the playoffs.

What is the point in a regular season? Look's like I wont be spending my money at the Memorial Coliseum after all.

Old
07-16-2010, 11:58 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
Not that anyone cares. I do think the IHL is completely dead now.

With that said. This is the first year in years I actually plan on going to a handful of Komet games. Outside of free tickets I have not supported the IHL one bit. I wanted AHL, but I will support the CHL. I hope it works.
I'll answer my own ? a bit, I think the IHL is done, most of the teams' websites look much more like CHL teams, QC doesn't have any IHL logos. The Komets and IHL seem to make it look like the IHL is still going. Komets' website has very little mention of the CHL.

Quote:
Actually scratch that. I just read that 16 of the 18 teams in the CHL will make the playoffs.

What is the point in a regular season? Look's like I wont be spending my money at the Memorial Coliseum after all.
16 of 18 teams making the playoffs- hahahahaha

Old
07-17-2010, 08:00 AM
nosl

Quote:

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but this seems to me like a silly reason not to support a team. I'm almost certain the Fort Wayne organization has little control over what policies the league enacts for a playoff system (especially a league that the Komets are joining for the first time).

16 of 19 teams make the OUA playoffs. That didn't stop me from following my Nipissing Lakers in 2009-10.

To each his own...

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
The Komets and IHL seem to make it look like the IHL is still going. Komets' website has very little mention of the CHL.
That's because the Frankes have no interest in being in a union league -- thus, Fort Wayne fans can forget about ever seeing the AHL there, despite the fact that the AHL would work in Fort Wayne -- but it's either the CHL or fold at this point.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:42 AM
SeaToby

The CHL has some owners with deep pockets who will stand up to the Frankes, unlike the former IHL... Horn Chen, Wichita's owner, once owned all six CHL clubs when Ray Miron reformed the CHL back during 1991 after a nine year absence... Horn Chen is also a minority part owner of the Columbus Blue Jackets. None of the owners want a repeat of 1982 when the old CHL folded...

The CHL owners are concerned that several teams have folded during the past three years. One of the reasons why there are willing to merge with the former IHL is they don't want the CHL to end up as a too small league, alike the IHL... The owners in Amarillo and Corpus Christi, long time members of the CHL, reached their financial loss threshold, and folded their clubs... You can probably count there are more approaching that threshold...

If that means a rethink about the playoff format, so be it... If more teams have a better chance to make the playoffs, so be it... At the moment the league's ownership is more worried about the league surviving than being sensible with the playoff format...

SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-257394

Puck Daddy on ridiculous playoff system, with quotes from CHL commish.

Old
07-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post
I don't know what anyone else thinks, but this seems to me like a silly reason not to support a team. I'm almost certain the Fort Wayne organization has little control over what policies the league enacts for a playoff system (especially a league that the Komets are joining for the first time).

16 of 19 teams make the OUA playoffs. That didn't stop me from following my Nipissing Lakers in 2009-10.

To each his own...

The Frankes have complete control over what league they partake in. They continue to participate in leagues I feel are not very good.

Fort Wayne could easily work in the AHL. As others pointed out that will not happen because the Frankes don't want it to. How is this not a good reason to not support them? They have AHL ticket prices, AHL merchandise prices, food prices etc. I spend less money at Grand Rapids for tickets then Fort Wayne.

Even if you don't blame the Frankes at all. Look at the bigger picture. Who is going to pay money to a regular season that means nothing? Not me.

Old
07-23-2010, 07:18 AM
SeaToby

Quote:
The Frankes have complete control over what league they partake in. They continue to participate in leagues I feel are not very good.

Fort Wayne could easily work in the AHL. As others pointed out that will not happen because the Frankes don't want it to. How is this not a good reason to not support them? They have AHL ticket prices, AHL merchandise prices, food prices etc. I spend less money at Grand Rapids for tickets then Fort Wayne.

Even if you don't blame the Frankes at all. Look at the bigger picture. Who is going to pay money to a regular season that means nothing? Not me.
Really? Most of the fans that show up for regular season games bought season tickets months before the season started... The other fans go to games to watch hockey instead of a movie... More than half of the fans probably don't know exactly how many games a team is behind or ahead in the standings... And regular season games have always meant nothing as long as there is any playoff... The British refuse to use playoffs with their soccer Premier League, their champion is atop the tables/standings at the end of the season... The British would have a stroke if this wasn't so...

Frankly, an expanded playoff format means more fans will be watching hockey longer instead of watching the grass grow at baseball games or playing golf...

SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:39 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.centralhockeyleague.com/p...rticle_id=4757

Schedule released.

Old
07-25-2010, 10:51 AM
nosl

Youngstown

I wonder how fans in Youngstown feel now that the CHL has a much closer presence to their community...

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:16 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post
I wonder how fans in Youngstown feel now that the CHL has a much closer presence to their community...
My guess is they don't have much opinion. From what I heard that team wasn't run right and be 1000s of miles from the closest CHL team didn't help. Since then the Phantoms (NAHL at the time) moved to the nice, downtown arena,Covelli Centre since the Steelhounds folded and also moved up to the USHL.

Old
07-28-2010, 11:57 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaToby View Post
The CHL has some owners with deep pockets who will stand up to the Frankes, unlike the former IHL... Horn Chen, Wichita's owner, once owned all six CHL clubs when Ray Miron reformed the CHL back during 1991 after a nine year absence... Horn Chen is also a minority part owner of the Columbus Blue Jackets. None of the owners want a repeat of 1982 when the old CHL folded...

The CHL owners are concerned that several teams have folded during the past three years. One of the reasons why there are willing to merge with the former IHL is they don't want the CHL to end up as a too small league, alike the IHL... The owners in Amarillo and Corpus Christi, long time members of the CHL, reached their financial loss threshold, and folded their clubs... You can probably count there are more approaching that threshold...

If that means a rethink about the playoff format, so be it... If more teams have a better chance to make the playoffs, so be it... At the moment the league's ownership is more worried about the league surviving than being sensible with the playoff format...
Horn Chen also owned the Indy Ice in the IHL. He is a busy guy.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:52 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4064264

Naming conferences: Turner, Berry

Old
08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Prussian_Blue