Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Tobias Rieder

Old
04-09-2009, 06:30 PM
AnaheimDucks90

vCash: 500
Tobias Rieder

Hi guys. It seems that we will have two very great draft picks in the next year. Tom Kuhnhackl and Tobias Rieder. I have heard that he was chosen to the "greatest talent of his age-group" from the NHL-Scouts. Who had him seen play?

AnaheimDucks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Lutzinho

rieder is a 93 born player. doesn't that make him 2011 available?

Lutzinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 05:41 PM
ajesorsky

Tobias Rieder is available for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

He has a good season so far. He is among the top scorers of the Landshut Canibals and is the youngest player of the german U20 national team.

His teammate Tom Kühnhackl is listed at No 30 in the midseason ranking of ISS https://www.isshockey.com/scouting/home for the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Rieder is expected to be in the same range in 2011.

ajesorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Burgs

One thing you need to know when looking at Rieder's and Kühnhackl's numbers is that Landshut traditionally plays a very defensive and plain ugly hockey. They both would probably have even better stats playing for, say, Bietigheim in the same league.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Mike Bullard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
One thing you need to know when looking at Rieder's and Kühnhackl's numbers is that Landshut traditionally plays a very defensive and plain ugly hockey. They both would probably have even better stats playing for, say, Bietigheim in the same league.
Yeah, and Brittigheim even scored two more goals this season with it's beauuutiful play...

Nevertheless, Tobias reminds me of a less physical version of Mike Richards. He has great defensive instincts and leadership along with Sturm- like speed and excellent stickhandling. His backhand shot is probably one of the best in Germany right now. He also is a crunch time player and down to earth guy.
He is playing for the club with the best player development in Germany. Sturm and Schubert are present. Rieder, Kühnhackl is the future and Landshut's answer to MoDo's Forsberg, Näslund!

Mike Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Burgs

Maybe Bietigheim isn't the best example this season. Still Landshut plays eye-gougingly ugly hockey every time I see them.

Which of course still doesn't change that they're great at developing youth players, probably greater than anyone else in Germany. To produce two guys like Kühnhackl and Rieder almost in the same year is pretty awesome.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 07:59 AM
MrSports*

In my opinion, I'm not yet impressed with the two (Tom and Tobias)
unless they entered in NHL.

MrSports* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
So is Tobias a 2011 draftee?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
So is Tobias a 2011 draftee?
Yes he is.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Ward Cornell

and today Rieder was drafted 5th Overall by Kitchener in the CHL Import Draft to play CHL hockey this year.
If he decides to go to Canada he should feel right at home in Kitchener which has an extremely high German population!
Also Kitchener has one highest regarded reputation in all of the CHL and is known for turning out NHL players and great men off the ice.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Vaasa

I just want Doug Wilson to sign Muller for the Sharks. It's kind of destiny what with him playing for Kölner Haie.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
modano

He signed with Kitchener so he will play there next season.

modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
fuechsken

Here is an article (German) about Rieder joining the Rangers next season.

fuechsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Dfire

I stumbled upon this article that uses Tobias Rieder as an example to make a point about Europeans not turning out to be NHLer when they join the CHL.

http://news.therecord.com/article/740741

Dfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Sanderson

Having read the opinion by the Kitchener fans, he's not that popular. It sounds more along the lines of "can we please finally get a new beat writer?".

Simply put, it isn't well researched at all, way too one-sided. You can't make the assumption that every import-player had the same chance to reach the NHL.

That being said, there should be a newer article by the same author which is rather positive, no idea why there is this back and forth.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Having read the opinion by the Kitchener fans, he's not that popular. It sounds more along the lines of "can we please finally get a new beat writer?".

Simply put, it isn't well researched at all, way too one-sided. You can't make the assumption that every import-player had the same chance to reach the NHL.

That being said, there should be a newer article by the same author which is rather positive, no idea why there is this back and forth.
A number of years ago the writer Jeff Hicks did an unresearched article on one of the players which was rather embarrassing for the player. Hicks was undressed in public by Pete Deboer for his unprofessionalism and since then Hicks has written these type of articles every cpl months and most he says unfortunately should be taken with a grain of salt. He can skew any facts to make it work in his favor but anyone with a bit of time can refute most of his stats.

When he doesn't have an agenda he can write worthwhile articles but sometimes you'll need a decoder to decipher them.

Here's the latest article on Rieder:
http://news.therecord.com/article/744331
Quote:
“I will come to Kitchener,” said the 17-year-old Kitchener Rangers import pick when reached at home in Landshut, Germany on Monday.

Rieder, the fifth overall pick in the Canadian Hockey League’s Euro draft, will leave his hometown pro team, the Cannibals, and aims to chew up Ontario Hockey League goalies.

“I want to play the best hockey I can play with the guys in my age group,” said Rieder, who scored 10 goals playing with men in the second-tier pros last year. “That’s the main reason, I think.”

Rieder got input from his Ottawa-based agent Larry Kelly. He also spoke to another Kelly client in Boston Bruins winger Marco Sturm, a Landshut product.

“They all said it’s great here (in Canada),” Rieder said.

Rieder had a three-year contract with Landshut, but an out-clause allows him to leave to play junior in Canada. No release fees are required for the Rangers to bring him to the OHL, where good friend and Landshut teammate Tom Kuhnhackl will play for the Windsor Spitfires in 2010-11.

Last week, Rieder and his parents visited the Aud for a tour. Rieder was impressed after his three-day visit.

“I was there and I think the city is great,” he said. “The rink is unbelievable. And every game there is 7,000 (fans).”

Rieder said his parents, Manfred and Birgit, will be a little nervous about him going overseas to play when it comes time to return to the Aud in mid-August. For now, they are pleased with his OHL opportunity.

“They’re excited because it was always my dream to play in Canada,” he said.

The Rangers look loaded up front as they take a run at winning the Memorial Cup in Mississauga in 2011.

Rieder adds nicely to an arsenal that includes Jeff Skinner, Jeremy Morin, Jason Akeson, Matt Tipoff and Swedish winger Gabriel Landeskog. Rieder is also good insurance against the possible loss of Skinner or Morin to the NHL.

Skinner was the 7th overall pick of Carolina last month. Morin is a signed prospect of Chicago, which has dealt away veteran forwards like Dustin Byfuglien and Kris Versteeg to clear cap space.

Rangers coach-GM Steve Spott must prepare for the possibility Skinner and Morin might not be back. Rieder didn’t see any of his new teammates on his stop in Kitchener last week, but he did see the coaching and training staff.

“I met everyone and they are great,” he said.
I'm not sure what the fans in Germany know about Kitchener but we have a very large German population (till the 1920's Kitcheners name was Berlin) and Tobias if he wants to he could get all his schooling in German and live with German billets. Of all the cities in Canada he's probably coming to the city in which will be the easist for him to adapt to.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 07-19-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old
07-19-2010, 04:31 PM
smitty10

Rieder should be fine in Kitchener. There is a very large German population there and many of the people, born in Germany or Canada, tend to speak German. I'd say this is probably the best situation for him coming over to North America and should allow for a nice transition.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Lauro
Teeder

Thats good stuff. Playing for the Berlin Rangers, love it

Lauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:05 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauro View Post
Thats good stuff. Playing for the Berlin Rangers, love it
i just don't think it feels like home, since he's bavarian and berlin is prussian.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:36 AM
JeffYear92*

What can we expect for Rieder?

Does anyone have a scouting report?

Thanks a lot,

Jeffyear92

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Ward Cornell

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/main...sp?newsid=1788

Quote:

RANGERS SIGN RIEDER
- 8/10/2010

Kitchener Rangers Head Coach and General Manager Steve Spott announced that the team has signed Tobias Rieder to an Ontario Hockey League contract.

"Tobias has demonstrated that he is a world class player and we are excited that he has chosen Kitchener to help him achieve his goals of playing professional hockey", Steve Spott.

Rieder, a native of Landshut, Germany was selected 5th overall in the 2010 CHL Import draft by the Rangers. He played last season with the Landshut Cannibals of the Second German Professional League. He registered 10 goals and 13 assists for 23 points in 45 games in 2009-10.

Tobias Rieder
Pronunciation: Toe-by-us Read-er
Hometown: Landshut, Germany
Birthdate: January 10, 1993
Height: 5.10
Weight: 176 lbs
Position: Forward
Shoots: Left

Old
09-17-2010, 04:09 AM
EVL

°|°
.w.

Last edited by EVL: 09-17-2010 at 04:53 PM.
EVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Ward Cornell

Rieder tonight had a goal and 2 assists in his first regular season game and was awarded with the 3rd star.

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...ers-to-victory

Old
10-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Mathletic

just thought I'd bump this up. He's having a good year so far. Jsut wondering what other people think of him.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 06:45 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 0
This guy scored 42 goals and 85 pts for the Kitchener Rangers this year, looks like a steal for the Oilers

2 goals and 3 pts in 1 playoff game this year

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote