HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

George Steinbrenner died

Old
07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Put me in the now obvious minority who thought he was an ahole. Treated people who worked for him like pure trash and now, because he is dead, he has ascended to sainthood.

Yeah, he wanted to win and was good at it, and was great for Yankee fans, but spare me when you tell me that he was some sort of great guy.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 02:08 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Put me in the now obvious minority who thought he was an ahole. Treated people who worked for him like pure trash and now, because he is dead, he has ascended to sainthood.

Yeah, he wanted to win and was good at it, and was great for Yankee fans, but spare me when you tell me that he was some sort of great guy.
this. and is that a picture of the hells kitchen msg

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:24 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
If Ken Lay, Dick Cheney or Bernie Made-off ran that team, people would still canonize them when they died from their lives of hard living... it's sorta pathetic...

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:31 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
this. and is that a picture of the hells kitchen msg
The previous Garden, it is.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:38 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
The previous Garden, it is.
8th avenue my old stompin grounds

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:53 PM
morffin

Quote:

Ive been getting grief all week because I keep reminding people what a DB he was ....winning seems to have scrubbed the minds of my fellow Yankees fans.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
This is such a stupid statement in so many ways. The Yankees did not buy a championship. Sure, some of the key pieces were free agent signings. It remains a fact that some the most important players on the Yankees were not free agent signings.

Cano, Jeter, Swisher, Gardner, Cabrera, Rodriguez, Posada, Rivera, Joba, Cervelli, Molina, Hughes, Marte, Pena, Hairston, Aceves, Coke, Bruney and Hinske were all out of the Yankees Minor League system or traded for.

The point is that the Yankees produce tons of talent. Why should they get so much heat because they are able to re-sign their homegrown players or trade them for better ones?

Also, another example of being unable to buy wins would be the Mets. They have had the highest payroll in the NL the past 3 years and failed to make the playoffs. They were 2nd to the Yankees last year and finished fourth.

The point is that championships can not be bought.
they've bought quite a few, actually. thank god the nhl has a cap.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:05 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Sather tried to buy championships. The main difference is, as someone said, Steinbrenner's prime venture was the Yankees, where Dolan's isn't, and Sather's isn't. He owns other businesses in Alberta. He tried to do what Steinbrenner did, problem is, he seems to have stopped paying attention circa '97. He didn't get that those all-world players were 35 and up by 2002, and thought he constructed powerhouse teams. We all know that what he really created was a luxury retirement complex. Wade Redden of today is the last of that generation of players with bad attitudes and huge paychecks.

Sather would've won as often as Steinbrenner had he paid closer attention. And for what it's worth, I get the suspicion that Sather (and even Dolan for that matter) are probably more decent human beings than Steinbrenner ever was. But, every billionaire has blood on his hands by day's end, right?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote