HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Post Your Slapshot Video - Improve your shot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2010, 11:43 PM
  #201
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I'm going to ask one more time, will people post only videos of themselves on ice? Most adult rec players can easily shoot harder in flat feet than on skates.
It would be nice to own a rink and go out there whenever you want and setup camera but most people have a few short minutes shared with 20 other people before a game for this.

And I'll add that on ice slapshots are easier, faster and harder because you can skate into them so if someone is cranking them in sneakers you can bet they shoot harder on ice.

I do anyway, I shoot with much more ooomph on ice.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:58 AM
  #202
Dump and Chase
Hand of God
 
Dump and Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I do anyway, I shoot with much more ooomph on ice.

Of course you do. Skates add about 3" to your height and some length to your stick as well. The extra height and stick length makes for more power it is simple physics.


Remember playing "crack the whip" as a kid? The longer the chain the more snap on the end of the whip. Same principal.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:26 PM
  #203
hoonking
 
hoonking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
Of course you do. Skates add about 3" to your height and some length to your stick as well. The extra height and stick length makes for more power it is simple physics.


Remember playing "crack the whip" as a kid? The longer the chain the more snap on the end of the whip. Same principal.
I'm pretty sure my stick doesn't extend everytime I put on skates

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:38 PM
  #204
wearethegreek
 
wearethegreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
I'm pretty sure my stick doesn't extend everytime I put on skates
Mine does

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:54 PM
  #205
Dump and Chase
Hand of God
 
Dump and Chase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
I'm pretty sure my stick doesn't extend everytime I put on skates

You are doing it wrong

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:37 PM
  #206
stamkosisboss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Leafs Nation
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
Mine does
LMAO BEST REPLY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I will try to get a video up soon.

stamkosisboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:49 PM
  #207
hoonking
 
hoonking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
You are doing it wrong
No you.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
  #208
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
I'm pretty sure my stick doesn't extend everytime I put on skates


I choke up on my stick shooting in sneaks.... actually i use baseball cleats for more foot leverage.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:16 PM
  #209
Lososaurus
Registered User
 
Lososaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
For your amusement.

Had a friend operating the camera, gave him a quick overview on switching from normalspeed->highspeed. I hacked apart some of the video to remove excess highspeed sections.


Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:50 PM
  #210
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Improve slapshot accuracy

How to improve slapshot accuracy
Hey guys, I think everyone has had there fill on how to improve their power, so here is an article and video on how to improve slapshot accuracy
Article - http://howtohockey.com/how-to-improve-slapshot-accuracy


HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:59 PM
  #211
Razzmatazz
Registered User
 
Razzmatazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
So suddenly, after scuffs and fluttering crap, I found the stick flex and hard shot by accident...tell me if I'm right on my approach.

I found before, I was hitting down on the puck, and the blade was hitting the board like this, closer to the heel:

▄ \
(ice view, from behind me)

1.) I opened the blade up, and made contact with the ice more like this, on the outer half of the blade

▄ |

almost to the point it felt like this:

▄ /

I found some consistency with the puck just behind my left heel (righty), up about a foot and a half.

With the open blade, I could feel the stick bend, and the blade almost give the puck an extra whip at the end, where I could turn the blade over to keep it down.

A few other things I noticed:

Looking at the puck up until the stick hit the board made a huge difference...I tend to not focus on things...but it does pay off sometimes with my good peripheral vision

Keeping my right elbow near my right hip also seemed to help in transferring the my weight into the shot.

And, turning the head and squaring the shoulders towards the target as the stick hit the puck also really helped, especially transferring the rest of my power through the elbows into the hands.

If there is anything that doesn't sound right, let me know, but it sure as hell felt right, for the first time.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 11:50 AM
  #212
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
So suddenly, after scuffs and fluttering crap, I found the stick flex and hard shot by accident...tell me if I'm right on my approach.

I found before, I was hitting down on the puck, and the blade was hitting the board like this, closer to the heel:

▄ \
(ice view, from behind me)

1.) I opened the blade up, and made contact with the ice more like this, on the outer half of the blade

▄ |

almost to the point it felt like this:

▄ /

I found some consistency with the puck just behind my left heel (righty), up about a foot and a half.

With the open blade, I could feel the stick bend, and the blade almost give the puck an extra whip at the end, where I could turn the blade over to keep it down.

A few other things I noticed:

Looking at the puck up until the stick hit the board made a huge difference...I tend to not focus on things...but it does pay off sometimes with my good peripheral vision

Keeping my right elbow near my right hip also seemed to help in transferring the my weight into the shot.

And, turning the head and squaring the shoulders towards the target as the stick hit the puck also really helped, especially transferring the rest of my power through the elbows into the hands.

If there is anything that doesn't sound right, let me know, but it sure as hell felt right, for the first time.
I think what you have learned is the easiest way to take a slapshot, but you are cheating. Eventually you should work on getting the most power.

Flexing the stick is important for lifting the puck, and getting a lot of power.
Instead of hitting the puck like this ▄ \ it should look more like this ▄ _____\

The blade of the stick NEEDS to be cupped, by hitting the ice / ground like that it makes it a lot easier to flex the shaft AND also flexes the blade of the stick, so when you contact the puck and the pressure is released from the stick, the shaft AND the blade will recoil giving you a lot of power.

If you can't feel the flex in your stick, try a lower flex stick and see how it feels. Then go out and hit the ground / ice a few inches behind the puck. If you load the stick properly then when it recoils it will launch the puck at the net and you will know what I am talking about.

If you want to see how I shoot I have a bunch of videos up on youtube showing what has worked for me

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 12:36 PM
  #213
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,423
vCash: 500
I've noticed shooting with a Drury that shots are a lot harder. There might be something to it, I can't say for sure. But the Drury is wedged open quite a bit. I'd love to try one but am in the red after my last shopping spree.

Beav, any plans to do work with the wrist shot? I enjoyed your videos quite a bit!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
  #214
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've noticed shooting with a Drury that shots are a lot harder. There might be something to it, I can't say for sure. But the Drury is wedged open quite a bit. I'd love to try one but am in the red after my last shopping spree.

Beav, any plans to do work with the wrist shot? I enjoyed your videos quite a bit!
yeah once I am done posting the workouts to improve slapshot power I want to do a few on improving wrist shot power. I have already done a few wrist shot articles and videos
How to take a wrist shot - I have to update this one to show both types of wrist shots. I usually shoot this way, so that is why I wrote the article, but I realized that when players are learning they should learn the other way of shooting (covered in two types of wrist shots)
How to improve wrist shot accuracy
Two types of wrist shots

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:44 PM
  #215
kenmei
Registered User
 
kenmei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Sorry for the bad quality. These are from when I started playing hockey back in August:








this was from last month in OCT:




i wish i had a little more recent video, because i've fixed my follow thru from the above vid


Last edited by kenmei: 11-17-2010 at 09:55 AM.
kenmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:43 PM
  #216
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
Sorry for the bad quality. These are from when I started playing hockey back in August:








this was from last month in OCT:



i wish i had a little more recent video, because i've fixed my follow thru from the above vid
Fixed, though your 2nd one is still broken for some reason.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.