HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Question: The Trade that never was (1985).....

Old
07-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Tommy D

vCash: 500
Question: The Trade that never was (1985).....

Bob Froese Traded to the Edmonton Oilers on 11-10-1985

Had a hockey chat with a friend yesterday. The topic was Flyers net minders.

As my bud was rambling on my mind began to drift some (what else in new) but then a though came to me. I seem to recall that the Flyers had arranged a trade of Bob Froese on or about the day Pelle had his car accident. However considering the circumstances the (again going on memory here) Oilers allowed the Flyers out of the trade.

I was in 2nd year college (and drinking my face off nightly) so I could have this all wrong. My bud just stared blankly when I asked him about it.

Does anyone else recall something to this effect?

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-18-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Jumping

Don't remember hearing about this, but Philadelphia was pretty shook up at the time.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
The Flyers had a rare (at the time) Saturday night home game against Boston. Froese played that night and was rumored to be involved in a showcase deal involving Los Angeles in exchange for a defenseman -- most notably Mark Hardy. That is the often-cited source of the reason he played that night. He wanted more playing time and Los Angeles needed a goalie. The Flyers of course denied it for obvious reasons after Lindbergh's car accident.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Was that the year that the Kings had some kind of college rookie free agent as their starting goaltender?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Was that the year that the Kings had some kind of college rookie free agent as their starting goaltender?
The same, though he was a few years removed from college.

His name is Bob Janecyk.

The Flyers and Kings played a week prior to Lindbergh's car accident and there was a huge brawl started with Janecyk and Peter Zezel. Janecyk flipped and swung his stick at Zezel up high and got suspended five games. The prior game he went at Torrie Robertson of Hartford.

After the Flyers won -- seven goals scored IIRC, Janecyk called Mike Keenan "a weasel."

About a month later, the Kings got Rollie the Goalie in a trade.

Old
07-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Tommy D

Thanks Guys

Nice to know I still have a few brain cells that are (kinda) working

Old
07-18-2010, 07:46 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The Flyers had a rare (at the time) Saturday night home game against Boston. Froese played that night and was rumored to be involved in a showcase deal involving Los Angeles in exchange for a defenseman -- most notably Mark Hardy. That is the often-cited source of the reason he played that night. He wanted more playing time and Los Angeles needed a goalie. The Flyers of course denied it for obvious reasons after Lindbergh's car accident.
Was that Saturday the night of Pelle's death? Because I thought Froese was hurt, which is why Jensen started the next game against the Oil after Pelle passed away.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Tommy D

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Was that Saturday the night of Pelle's death? Because I thought Froese was hurt, which is why Jensen started the next game against the Oil after Pelle passed away.
OMG! I have a autographed photo/team handout from was it Dareen... I bet thats worth big bucks!

Old
07-18-2010, 09:02 PM
phlflyer1

Quote:
Yes, Pelles accident was after that Saturday evening game. The Oilers game wasn't until the following Thursday so they had a stretch of several days off.

Froese actually got hurt during the first or second practice after Pelles accident and thats why Jensen was forced to play the game against the Oilers.

phlflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 09:23 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlflyer1 View Post
Yes, Pelles accident was after that Saturday evening game. The Oilers game wasn't until the following Thursday so they had a stretch of several days off.

Froese actually got hurt during the first or second practice after Pelles accident and thats why Jensen was forced to play the game against the Oilers.
Lindbergh's accident happened hours after the Saturday night game in which Froese played.

Froese was hit in the groin (shattered the protective cup) by a slapshot in practice the day prior to the Thursday game against Edmonton.

Jensen was recalled as a replacement to Froese. The goalie who technically replaced Lindbergh on the roster was a guy named Mike Bloski.

Old
07-19-2010, 11:36 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

While on the topic of Flyers history...I was listening to NHL Home Ice on XM and they mentioned that Ed Snider started the Broad Street Bullies because of a cheap shot done to one of the Flyers and he said that "that would never happen again." I remember hearing that in the documentary, does anyone remember the hit?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
While on the topic of Flyers history...I was listening to NHL Home Ice on XM and they mentioned that Ed Snider started the Broad Street Bullies because of a cheap shot done to one of the Flyers and he said that "that would never happen again." I remember hearing that in the documentary, does anyone remember the hit?
Noel Picard of the Blues vs. Claude Laforge of the Flyers.