HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn: LA Kings’ Second-Line Center?

Old
07-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Hipfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
There's the problem. Staying in juniors doesn't look like it will help him any, but is he actually ready for the NHL? Dean and Murray have to make the decision on which is better for his development, which sucks, because neither might be the ideal option, but he can't to the AHL so it's one or the other.

What's the reasoning behind the 20 years old AHL thing anyway? Guys can play in the NHL younger than that...
The rule that would prevent him from playing in the AHL is an agreement between that league and the CHL and IMO goes both ways: 1) CHL clubs want to hold on to their best talent giving them a chance to win; and 2) most teens are probably not ready to be on their own in minor-pro. Reason #1 looks like a greedy statement, but we have to remember that even these development clubs are trying to sell tickets and win championships. Reason #2 doesn't seem like a big deal, but for any kids playing in the CHL, they are either living at home (an example would be Brandon Kozun), or they are living with a billet family where their billet "parents" are responsible for food, getting them to school or practice, and maintaining the team curfew. There's a big difference between a 19 year-old living with a billet family 6-10 hours from home or sharing an apartment on the East Coast with a couple of 30 year-olds.

Schenn stands a chance to make the Kings next season, but if he doesn't make it, going back to his junior club should not be looked at as failure. For all of his amazing talent, there are areas where he can improve his game and his maturity - his junior team will not be the killer it was this past season so he will definitely have to deal with more hardships than he did this season. As a probable team captain, how he deals with that could help him grow in leaps and bounds for sure. Also he is eligible to go back to the World Junior Championships in Buffalo, and it would be a great stage as he could possibly be his team's captain as well at that major international event.

Mike Richards went back to the CHL as a 19 year-old and it definitely helped him - by the end of that season, he was eligible to go to the AHL for the playoffs where he got 15 points in 14 games. By his 20 year-old season, Richards was playing for Philly: this would be a perfect parallel for Schenn this season.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:14 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Most of you are wrong on Schenn, I see more as a Jordan Staal type player, a shutdown 3rd line center, he'll crack the lineup this season and will center the 4th line, playing with Richardson and Lewis on the 4th line, Westgarth and Clune will be in the press box and waiting to feast on tough opponents. Loktionov is more of a second line center..

Next year:
XX-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Handzus-Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn-Lewis
Clune, Westgarth

Future:

Kovy-Kopitar-Hemsky (haha dreaming)
Toffoli-Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds------> WOW.. This would be the nastiest shutdown line in the NHL
Westgarth-Lewis-Kozun/Clune/King

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:32 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Most of you are wrong on Schenn, I see more as a Jordan Staal type player, a shutdown 3rd line center, he'll crack the lineup this season and will center the 4th line, playing with Richardson and Lewis on the 4th line, Westgarth and Clune will be in the press box and waiting to feast on tough opponents. Loktionov is more of a second line center..

Next year:
XX-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Handzus-Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn-Lewis
Clune, Westgarth

Future:

Kovy-Kopitar-Hemsky (haha dreaming)
Toffoli-Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds------> WOW.. This would be the nastiest shutdown line in the NHL
Westgarth-Lewis-Kozun/Clune/King
Clifford - Schenn - Simmonds

That would be my 2nd AND 3rd line.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:00 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Bro, I'm getting a ***** thinking of Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds line

Old
07-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Bro, I'm getting a ***** thinking of Clifford-Schenn-Simmonds line
I guess Loktionov will be centering Jordan Weal and Brandon Kozun on the 2nd line with Kopitar, Kovalchuk and Brown on the top line.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:43 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I guess Loktionov will be centering Jordan Weal and Brandon Kozun on the 2nd line with Kopitar, Kovalchuk and Brown on the top line.
No lol, he'll be centering Brown and Toffoli

Old
07-12-2010, 12:34 PM
triplcrown

Quote:
OK, Toffoli rocks, but...

Who's Brown?

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:46 PM
AStammer7*

Toffoli Reminds Me Of Verbeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
OK, Toffoli rocks, but...

Who's Brown?

Tyler Toffoli reminds a bit of Brett Hull but a lot of Pattie Verbeek of the NJ Devils. Gritty,scorer, tough! and he'll play 3rd line RW. He'd be a good fit with Oscar Moller who can play LW with Jarret Stoll as the Centre.

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Do you consider Jordan Staal a bust? He was drafted 2nd overall.
Without reading any further than this ridiculous response,I have to state how moronic it is. Jordan Stall a bust? On the Penguins? A contributing forward on a team that made cup finals, won the cup and went 7th game in Quarters? bust? are you for real?
Dude, your name is Bernierfan and I think bernier is a hell of a lot better than quick and he will prove so yet he has done nothing but win two or three key games over 3 years and do we consider him a bust? come on man. post something that means something.
To compare Stall and Schenn now is almost ever a worse comment. Are you serious?

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Without reading any further than this ridiculous response,I have to state how moronic it is. Jordan Stall a bust? On the Penguins? A contributing forward on a team that made cup finals, won the cup and went 7th game in Quarters? bust? are you for real?
Dude, your name is Bernierfan and I think bernier is a hell of a lot better than quick and he will prove so yet he has done nothing but win two or three key games over 3 years and do we consider him a bust? come on man. post something that means something.
To compare Stall and Schenn now is almost ever a worse comment. Are you serious?
A) It's 'Staal,' not 'Stall.'
B) You clearly need to read where that post originated from because you didn't comprehend the argument being made.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 01:13 AM
10 ft. pole

Not this year.

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Richardson-Handzus-Simmonds
Clune-Schenn-Parse/Westgarth

Doughty-Scuderi
Johnson-Franson
Drewiske-Greene
Harrold

Quick/Bernier

If this team picks up a veteran 3-4 damn at the deadline as a rental. (Kaberle) than this is a Stanley Cup favorite roster.

-Chicago got gutted
-Detroit got another year older.
-Sharks lost players on D and in goal and replaced them with aftermarket junk parts.
-Vancouver got better
-Nashville lost their 1 center and number 3 D man.
-Phoenix didn't do much good or bad
-Anaheim lost their captain and Ryan remains unsigned as does Selanne
-Colorado did nothing.

Kings are either the number 1 or Number 2 team in the west.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:14 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
You are both wrong it will be that other Russian kid, he is the one that scores zee goals, you know Kotsyn.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Over the past three seasons in the WHL, Brayden Schenn's points per game average has increased dramatically

2007-08, Age 16: 1.08
2008-09, Age 17: 1.26
2009-10, Age 18: 1.68

I don't think he has anything left to prove in the WHL. He won't be facing any better competition at 19 in juniors. It is unfortunate that he has to wait until he turns 20 to play in the AHL as it would be far better served to have him advance to a more challenging level of competition.
I like seeing that as well - the progression year to year in production. The article is nice, but the 6'0" 192 listing is off. That is what Brayden was before the combine in his draft year. Dean said he was already bigger on his draft day than the last time he saw him. That listing is at least 15 months ago. I think he is 6'1" 210 now. Read that somewhere. That is not huge by any means, but with his style of play and improved skating, he's going to be a very good and effective NHL'r. Dean even said "it's up to Brayden where he plays this year". He talked about how Simmonds came to LA early Summer and worked out every day and was determined to make the team. He said if Brayden wanted it that bad, he could too. He also mentioned something about his contract - that if adjustments (something like that) were made, he could be on the team.
Does anyone recall that? I am not sure if he meant that he could actually restructure his contract to be more cap friendly and be on the team.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You are both wrong it will be that other Russian kid, he is the one that scores zee goals, you know Kotsyn.
Oh crap, Dean drafted the wrong one?

Maxim Kitsyn is his name.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Komarov47

It's no use to put Schenn on the 4th line, i'd rather see him have a blast in Mancherster this season, the Kings should go after Dom Moore, a good 3/4 th line center, good face-off player and good pk killer.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
It's no use to put Schenn on the 4th line, i'd rather see him have a blast in Mancherster this season, the Kings should go after Dom Moore, a good 3/4 th line center, good face-off player and good pk killer.
Schenn is only 19. It will be the Kings or juniors for Schenn.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Schenn is only 19. It will be the Kings or juniors for Schenn.
So it's no way AHL?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:35 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
So it's no way AHL?
ahh, well since you asked twice we will go ahead and let him to go Manchester.

Yes, he can only go back to Brandon or to LA. Next year he can go to Manchester.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Over the past three seasons in the WHL, Brayden Schenn's points per game average has increased dramatically

2007-08, Age 16: 1.08
2008-09, Age 17: 1.26
2009-10, Age 18: 1.68

I don't think he has anything left to prove in the WHL. He won't be facing any better competition at 19 in juniors. It is unfortunate that he has to wait until he turns 20 to play in the AHL as it would be far better served to have him advance to a more challenging level of competition.
And if he has as good of a camp if not better then he had last year he should be playing in LA this year. One more of JR's may do more harm to his development then good

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote