HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niittymaki a Shark (2yrs @ $2m per)

Old
07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
The blocker has finger holes. We can put a small slit in his blocker's index finger.
Maybe we should keep it simple.

Does anyone know how to sign "I've fallen, and i can't get up!"

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 01:24 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
He does have good AHL playoff stats and Olympic background.
AHL stats don't really mean anything at the NHL level. Pretty much every NHLer has posted good AHL stats.

As a Flyers fan, I know a bit about Niitty. The guy is an excellent backup and once had the potential to be a good starter, but he's proven that he can't bet trusted with a large number of games (meaning, he fails as a starter) due to various reasons, the biggest of which is probably his hip issues.

So he's a great goalie to have in a backup capacity. If you're expecting more then that you're bound for disappointment.

One thing I noticed in Philly is that he can't really handle stretches of starts well.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:17 AM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Well I think Greiss warmed the bench enough last season, so it'd be nice for him to get some actual stretches of game time.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
AHL stats don't really mean anything at the NHL level. Pretty much every NHLer has posted good AHL stats.

As a Flyers fan, I know a bit about Niitty. The guy is an excellent backup and once had the potential to be a good starter, but he's proven that he can't bet trusted with a large number of games (meaning, he fails as a starter) due to various reasons, the biggest of which is probably his hip issues.

So he's a great goalie to have in a backup capacity. If you're expecting more then that you're bound for disappointment.

One thing I noticed in Philly is that he can't really handle stretches of starts well.
Thus a tandem role. Greiss looked ok in most of the 11 starts he was given this past season, but it's hard to evaluate a goalie when given spot duty especially since it's mostly the 2nd game of back to backs when the D in front of him is tired. He lacked nabby's athletic circus save ability, but his positioning was right up there.

I'd say come up with some sort of alternating system, first based on who gets hot. Then ride the person who's hot for a predetermined amount of games(say they get the whole week if they're on a roll). Then when the other guy plays, if he blows it again, it's back to bench warming duty for him(do it too many times and stalock will get his shot though). But ultimately you still get your chances to reclaim the crease again while also allowing those hot stretches to benefit the team.

Competition is key though, both guys would need to be performing well enough to win or at least compete enough to steal starts from the other guy.

Currently our D is pathetic enough that whichever goalie we put in we're just throwing to the wolves. But I'm sure we'll see some serious upgrades soon.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:27 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../14747431.html

Toronto pundit lining up blame for presumed (and in advance) poor showing of Antero Niittymaki: John Ferguson, Jr (who he claims ****ed up the Leafs goal tending by bad trades and must have talked DW into the deal).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote