HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Simon Gagne to Tampa Bay (EDIT: Confirmed)

Old
07-19-2010, 08:49 AM
alexstream

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Those are unknown question marks...every team has young players who they hope can play better - whether they actually do it or not is in question.

Remember, Eller couldn't crack the Blues lineup...
lol... Eller couldn't crack theirs as much as Subban couldn't crack ours!

AHL at 20-21 is normal, it's part of the development of a player.

I won't miss Bergeron, I won't miss Metropolit, I won't miss "that much" Moore (he was good, valuable, but irreplaceable? no).
Are we definitely better? no.
Can we be better? YES. this team has IMO more potential for greatness than it had at the start of last season.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:50 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
I'm usually not a big proponent of the quebec thingy.
I mean, I don't care what language Eller speaks if he turns out to be better than David Perron for example.

However, TBay are really breaking my balls, cause we are talking about elite of the elite there... They ain't just Qc players, they are among the best Canadian players and among the best NHL players / staff members.

When all is said and done :

Julien Brisebois - asst GM
Guy Boucher - Head coach

1st line : xxx - Stamkos - St-Louis
2nd line : Gagné - Lecavalier - xxx
is there something we don't know? are they getting ready to move to Qc City?
I'm pretty sure Rejean Tremblay and the clueless guy who retired from Le Journal and is now working for RDS (Bertrand Raymond) would **** in their pants if it happened.
That is funny and joyfull tough. Nicely put

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
Those are unknown question marks...every team has young players who they hope can play better - whether they actually do it or not is in question.

And Subban couldn't crack ours.

What a bust

Habsfan22100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Taupy

Quote:

So he could't crack the Blues lineup in his first year in NA. He should be ashame oh himself. What is it with the Blues and not rushing all their prospects.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:59 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Danielson View Post
So he could't crack the Blues lineup in his first year in NA. He should be ashame oh himself. What is it with the Blues and not rushing all their prospects.
All I am saying is that we do not know how they will play. Seems logical, right?

I like Eller and Subban a lot, but will they make the team exponentially better this year? That's a lot to put on 20 year old players...

I'm saying that the issues we had last year have not been addressed this off season.

Look at our top 6: 2 of the guys slated for those spots (Pouliot and AK) were hardly seen in last years playoff run. Can they turn it around? Possibly, but unlikely IMO.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
What's hilarious about jaybee is that he was whining during the year that we would have been a lot better had it not been for injuries we would have been a better team, someone actually showed us the post, not he's suddenly changed his view of team because Halak got traded.
Is that not logical? Would Boston have not been better if Savard wasn't injured? What about Detroit? Fact of the matter is...injuries are a part of the game....and the Habs will experience injuries next year. They need and have needed for a while a big, rugged forward....doesn't matter how healthy the team is, there are holes that have not been upgraded.

My tune has never changed. I've always disliked the goaltending situation and that's back when Huet was still here.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Is that not logical? Would Boston have not been better if Savard wasn't injured? What about Detroit? Fact of the matter is...injuries are a part of the game....and the Habs will experience injuries next year. They need and have needed for a while a big, rugged forward....doesn't matter how healthy the team is, there are holes that have not been upgraded.

My tune has never changed. I've always disliked the goaltending situation and that's back when Huet was still here.
Exactly, habs will experience injuries, so long as we don't end up with the second most injuries in the league we will have improved, there's no team in the nhl that goes into a season thinking it will have the second most injuries in the nhl. If we stay relatively healthy we will be a better team. There's a difference between having guys injured for a couple of games and multiple guys injured for 20+ games like we had with Cammalleri, Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Gionta and Markov.

There's significant evidence that injuries had an impact on our team considering that we were below .500 when many players were injured and were clearly above it once players got healthy.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Exactly, habs will experience injuries, so long as we don't end up with the second most injuries in the league we will have improved, there's no team in the nhl that goes into a season thinking it will have the second most injuries in the nhl. If we stay relatively healthy we will be a better team. There's a difference between having guys injured for a couple of games and multiple guys injured for 20+ games like we had with Cammalleri, Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Gionta and Markov.

There's significant evidence that injuries had an impact on our team considering that we were below .500 when many players were injured and were clearly above it once players got healthy.
Bolded for the slower people out there.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:17 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Ottawa should be much better too then, I guess. Kuba, Michalek, Alfredsson, Spezza, Kovalev...

Old
07-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Andy

Quote:
All I am saying is that we do not know how they will play. Seems logical, right?

I like Eller and Subban a lot, but will they make the team exponentially better this year? That's a lot to put on 20 year old players...

I'm saying that the issues we had last year have not been addressed this off season.

Look at our top 6: 2 of the guys slated for those spots (Pouliot and AK) were hardly seen in last years playoff run. Can they turn it around? Possibly, but unlikely IMO.
I can ask you the same question regarding another area of the team. Is it really logical to expect to be second in the league for the most injuries for another year? No it's not, that's why we improve just on this area because when healthy last year we were a better team.

Let's not forget that we had speed and puck movement on the back end with the addition of Subban which is a very significant addition considering that we had trouble with that last year. I think it's a reasonable expectation considering his stellar play in the playoffs in that regard.

We also improved by replacing Metropolit with Dustin Boyd, who provides the same amount of offense, but brings more speed, better defensive play and some size. Also replacing Metropolit is an improvement because we no longer need to see him on the powerplay.

In regards to Pouliot, it's not a concidence that he stopped producing after he got injured a second time on his wrist. I met Pouliot after we were eliminated, his hand was tapped up and bruised, he also had a shoulder injury and back injury for quite sometime.

The biggest question mark is Eller, but I expect him to do fairly well in the role he will be given. A lot haven't seen Eller play here, he's a really good prospect and there's no doubt in my mind that he will come in and produce. So long as he can provide us with at least 25 points with 3rd line duties, that is signficant for a player of that age in that role.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Andy

Quote:
Ottawa should be much better too then, I guess. Kuba, Michalek, Alfredsson, Spezza, Kovalev...
Yes, they should, who has denied that they wouldn't be?

Old
07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
gusfring

Quote:
I can ask you the same question regarding another area of the team. Is it really logical to expect to be second in the league for the most injuries for another year? No it's not, that's why we improve just on this area because when healthy last year we were a better team.

Let's not forget that we had speed and puck movement on the back end with the addition of Subban which is a very significant addition considering that we had trouble with that last year. I think it's a reasonable expectation considering his stellar play in the playoffs in that regard.

We also improved by replacing Metropolit with Dustin Boyd, who provides the same amount of offense, but brings more speed, better defensive play and some size. Also replacing Metropolit is an improvement because we no longer need to see him on the powerplay.

In regards to Pouliot, it's not a concidence that he stopped producing after he got injured a second time on his wrist. I met Pouliot after we were eliminated, his hand was tapped up and bruised, he also had a shoulder injury and back injury for quite sometime.

The biggest question mark is Eller, but I expect him to do fairly well in the role he will be given. A lot haven't seen Eller play here, he's a really good prospect and there's no doubt in my mind that he will come in and produce. So long as he can provide us with at least 25 points with 3rd line duties, that is signficant for a player of that age in that role.
But those are question marks.

Can Price play as well as Halak?
Can Kostitsyn play consistently? He hasn't so far.
Boyd is 6'0 185 - hardly adding any size.
Our top 6 remains the same.
Can Plekanec have back to back good seasons? He hasn't yet.

We have not added anything to our core group from last year that we can 100% count on.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Also there's a difference between having a couple of players injured and multiple players injured at the same time. At one point we had Gomez, Gionta, Gill, Markov, Mara, O'byrne and Metropolit all out at once. We also didn't have Moore or Pouliot at this time and we had a non producing Latendresse and Andrei Kostitsyn in the lineup while this was going. This was at the point in the year where we were struggling to stay .500. Once we were healthy the proof was in the numbers as we were well above .500 by 7-8 games.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:25 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Yes, they should, who has denied that they wouldn't be?
Exactly, so how are we going to improve our position if every other team we are facing can say they improved as we are?

Plus Ottawa has added to their lineup, not subtracted. Plus they have just as many good prospects as we do.

The point being - can you objectively look at the team now and say that we won't be battling for a playoff spot the whole year? I don't think so.

We should be shooting for higher, but right now, we aren't as good as the top teams in the conference, IMO.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Andy

Quote:

We have not added anything to our core group from last year that we can 100% count on.
Every team has question marks.

Can Halak continue his play?
Will St.Louis continue to struggle to score goals considering they lost Kariya and Tkachuk and haven't replaced them?
Which Kovalev will Ottawa get?
Is Gonchar's age getting to him?
Will Ottawa's goaltending perform?
Is Alfredsson age going to get to him?
Will Regin continue to progress?
Will Fischer have another good season?

Old
07-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Andy

Quote:
Exactly, so how are we going to improve our position if every other team we are facing can say they improved as we are?

Plus Ottawa has added to their lineup, not subtracted. Plus they have just as many good prospects as we do
Ottawa replaced Volchenkov with Gonchar. They still have as many wholes in their lineup as we do. They still have questionable goaltending. You talk about consistency of our players...but what about Kovalev and Fischer...will they continue to be inconsistent? What about Peter Regin, what if he has a sophomore slump?

You act like every other team in the league has no question marks aside from the habs. The grass is always greener elsewhere.

What about Buffalo? They lost two very significant defensemen and haven't replaced them. They also haven't addressed their goal scoring which has been a problem since they lost Drury and Briere.

What about Toronto? Bunch of question marks there.

Seriously stop acting like it's better elsewhere.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Perrah

Quote:
I dont recall talking about ottawa. But yeah they will be better but have question marks in nets and on D. If you think losing kuba to them is like the habs losing markov then I dont know what to tell you. They did replace volchenkov with gonchar but defensively that is not that same, offensively better.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:38 AM
alexstream

Quote:

yeah, what a mistake to get rid of Huet instead of signing him to a 5M contract.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
yeah, what a mistake to get rid of Huet instead of signing him to a 5M contract.
Not to mention that we managed to move from 4th place to first once he was traded.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
JayBee*

Quote:

You have a very short term memory. Habs have never been relatively healthy though except for 3 years ago. Seasons before and after have been injury plagued.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Perrah

Maybe ottawa will win the division, its their year to over achieve. Ive looked into the stars and have seen it.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:47 AM
JayBee*

Quote:

I have yet to have anyone give me a legitimate answer here that did not include "we're healthier". WTF does that mean? There are still huge holes that have yet to be addressed. Habs were healthy (without Markov) against Philly and got obliterated. What have the Habs done to avoid this happening again?

Old
07-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Perrah

Quote:
I have yet to have anyone give me a legitimate answer here that did not include "we're healthier". WTF does that mean? There are still huge holes that have yet to be addressed. Habs were healthy (without Markov) against Philly and got obliterated. What have the Habs done to avoid this happening again?
You are right, here I will give you answers since you cant seem to understand that people cant predict the future. We should have signed marleau to ensure plekanec doesnt get a chance to repeat. Why bother seeing if it will happen.

Could halak repeat what halak did last year ? Riddle me that one.

Kostitsyn play consistent perhaps, maybe if he doesnt get hurt once he is hitting stride and the new fitness guy rides him like a donkey all summer. Boyd is going to get a chance hes no beast but I believe Richards only has 5-8 pounds on him and boyd already played in the west which I think is more of a grind than the east.

Our top 6 is the same but the bottom six have a better chance of putting more pucks in. Our bottoms six sucked until Moore was traded for.

Old
JayBee*

Quote:
Are you stupid? Where did I say Huet should have been signed? My issue was that the Habs handled the goaltending situation as bad as could be. All the moves were reactionary and no plan was involved...from trading Huet at the deadline to bringing up Price to the Halak/Price situation and how it was handled.

Old
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish22100 View Post
How exactly did the Flyers get better? Zherdev over Gagné? Come on.
Actually it's more like Meszaros + Zherdev over Gagne and in terms of salary it's 5.25m Gagnes $ vs 6m Zherdevs&Meszaros.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote