HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Modano to play with Detroit...

Old
07-16-2010, 07:08 PM
atticus ross

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I'm confused. How can you be upset at both Nieuwendyk and Modano? Also, Modano is not "done" (if he doesn't want to be). When he wants to bring it he still can, albeit in a lesser way than in his prime.
i believe SwedeSpeedBackstrom was saying that's how Joe felt about Modano, not that he was upset at Modano.

atticus ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 07:29 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammztar View Post
Just saw it on his twitter...

Lebrun spoke to Babcock and Mike said Modano will sign and play 2 years in Detroit....

Lebrun is reliable....if true,good pickup for the wings. Would love to have him cheap to center the habs 3rd line.

Discuss

Hmmm...yesterday the talk was he probably wouldn't sign there....

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Caseman

I can't believe people believe Modano can still log 3rd line minutes, or 3rd line effort for that matter

(cue the "he wasn't trying because the Stars suck" excuse)

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

2 years!!!! what's the second year a team option? It would have to be incase Dan decides to retire after the first.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:52 PM
The Thomas J.*

Good pick up for the Wings if true. He is actually a good pick up for any team wether there in the hunt for a tittle or if they are a young up & comingteam who needs that legendary veteran pressence.

2 years is a little surprising. But I could see him dong the right thing & retiring after one year if he really doesn't have it anymore.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I can't believe people believe Modano can still log 3rd line minutes, or 3rd line effort for that matter

(cue the "he wasn't trying because the Stars suck" excuse)
If he aint playing with scrubs, he'll do fine. He'll do much better if he accepts to move to the wing too.

edit: The guy was playing 4th line minutes on a team he put on the map, gimme one good way to find motivation there? Seriously. Players aren't robots sir, not yet anyway.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
If he aint playing with scrubs, he'll do fine. He'll do much better if he accepts to move to the wing too.

edit: The guy was playing 4th line minutes on a team he put on the map, gimme one good way to find motivation there? Seriously. Players aren't robots sir, not yet anyway.
The motivation is that the organization is paying you money to represent their franchise and put effort on the ice. If he wants more minutes, participate in practice. If he wants more minutes, produce in game. If he wants more minutes, play better than the four centers (Richards, Ribeiro, Benn, Wandell) in front of him.

I like it when people try to explain our players on our team to us.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 09:36 PM
vofty

Quote:

funny stuff, thanks for the lesson. The Modano to wing experiment has been tried pretty much every year for quite some time, and inevitably it always fails miserably. And for the record in 08-09 Modano was given the duty of playing 2nd line center when Richards went down with the broken wrists and it was clear that Modano was not able to handle that kind of role anymore. At best he is a good 3rd line center who can produce on the powerplay.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2010, 11:48 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

If this is true. i'm just happy to see Modano keep playing, it's a little sad to see his legacy with the (North) Stars tarnished though.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:16 AM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo'sShow09 View Post
Little surprised about 2 years, if true. Puts a slightly different angle on Nieuwendyk letting him go this off season. I am glad he ended up with the Wings rather than a division rival or with a non-contender like Minnesota.
Don't comment on teams you have no clue about. The Wild will likely end up somewhere between 6-9 in the West next season which to me is a playoff contender. Besides do the Wings really need another player who is ready for social security.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:24 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Regardless of the length, it's win win for Madano and for Detroit.

Detroit gets a guy who's done it all, who's likely going to the HHOF and who's been a classy leader on and off the ice for years.

Madano gets what he should be getting at this point in his career. The chance to play on a team that can win it all. They're pretty solid from top to bottom. With Juri back from the KHL, I think they've got what they need to do it all offensively... just gotta stay healthy.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 11:25 AM
countrygentleman
The Kaptain Says ARR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Don't comment on teams you have no clue about. The Wild will likely end up somewhere between 6-9 in the West next season which to me is a playoff contender. Besides do the Wings really need another player who is ready for social security.
Let's be honest, we'll be lucky to make the playoffs.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Its funny how much worse a player becomes once he leaves your team - Or how much better he becomes once he is on your team.

To be honest i'm kind of surprised how much Dallas fans are turning their back on Modano. Yzerman single handedly made Tampa Bay my second favorite team. (if you believe in such a thing)

OT - Detroit was the oldest team in 2008. Stick that in your social security.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:11 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 12:11 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Hey! Don't comment on teams you have no clue about.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 02:52 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Ice View Post
Its funny how much worse a player becomes once he leaves your team - Or how much better he becomes once he is on your team.

To be honest i'm kind of surprised how much Dallas fans are turning their back on Modano. Yzerman single handedly made Tampa Bay my second favorite team. (if you believe in such a thing)

Actually if you go back through some Stars gameday threads we *****ed about him when he was on our team too. He would float around not doing a damn thing just collecting his paycheck, truthfully I think he will come out with a bang wherever he goes but I give it 3 months before the novelty wears off and he is back to his old ways and fans of his new team ***** about the exact same thing.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 03:41 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
Hope Modano has a great season.

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 04:10 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus ross View Post
i believe SwedeSpeedBackstrom was saying that's how Joe felt about Modano, not that he was upset at Modano.
Wow, I missed that. That makes a lot more sense.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
The motivation is that the organization is paying you money to represent their franchise and put effort on the ice. If he wants more minutes, participate in practice. If he wants more minutes, produce in game. If he wants more minutes, play better than the four centers (Richards, Ribeiro, Benn, Wandell) in front of him.

I like it when people try to explain our players on our team to us.
Players aren't robots, and Modano is a pretty emotional person, especially as far as athletes go. I fully expect him to "play better" in Detroit than he did the last little while here in Dallas. However, that doesn't make floating on a bad team any less annoying. It's pretty obvious that his linemates weren't up to snuff, especially this last year, but he did put out a lackluster effort quite often. I would expect that to change for the most part if he ends up playing with guys like Cleary and/or Hudler, but Wings fans who think Modano's talents were being significantly held back in Dallas are in for a rude awakening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
funny stuff, thanks for the lesson. The Modano to wing experiment has been tried pretty much every year for quite some time, and inevitably it always fails miserably. And for the record in 08-09 Modano was given the duty of playing 2nd line center when Richards went down with the broken wrists and it was clear that Modano was not able to handle that kind of role anymore. At best he is a good 3rd line center who can produce on the powerplay.
Completely agree. Even then you could see he wasn't the same player. His hands aren't as quick or as sure as they once were.

Quote:
Calm down. Nobody is saying Minnesota isn't a playoff contender, but if Modano is serious about wanting to play for a Cup contender, then he should look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Ice View Post

Turning our back is misunderstanding things. We have been noting Modano's decline for the last few years, so stating the obvious shouldn't be taken as us turning our backs on him, or hating on him because he's leaving. He is a shell of his former self.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
When considering only players who stayed with just one team their entire career, Modano was:

5th all-time in points behind Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic and Mikita.

5th in goals (Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic, Bossy)

7th in assists (Yzerman, Lemieux, Sakic, Delvecchio, Perreault, Lidstrom)

Pretty elite company there. Not that I'm bitter he's likely continuing his career in Detroit; that's Joe Nieuwendyk's decision, and that's hockey. Looking forward to him adding to his already impressive career numbers, just sucks that he'll no longer have that one feature about him.

I wonder what number he'll take, if he does end up in Detroit. I think this was discussed earlier, that he would revert back to his Little Caesars number, which I can't recall at the moment.

07-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Dave Karp

Quote:
Are they a legitimate cup contender? No. By the way, I don't think Dallas is either.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Are they a legitimate cup contender? No. By the way, I don't think Dallas is either.
Blasphemy!!!!!!!

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Blasphemy!!!!!!!

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:14 AM
DangleDangleBeach

i just dont understand where/how he fits in here in detroit. no matter how you twist or turn it... it just doesnt really make sense on paper. we already are OVERLOADED on forwards as it is and we can assume our top 6 is as follows....

datsyuk-zberg-holmstrom
hudler-filpula-franzen
cleary-modano-bertuzzi
abs-draper-helm

eaves-miller-ritola

we would be fine if we could just roll 5 lines. haha

subtract modano from the line-up and you still have 2 extra forwards. i guess we can assume if modano is signed we wave goodbye to at least 1/3 between eaves miller ritola... even if it SHOULD be draper, it wont be.

maybe holland has something up his sleeve and he knows if he signs modano he can trade for a D using meech+one of those 3 forwards but i just dont want to see eaves/miller/ritola go so we can sign modano for a year.

DangleDangleBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:22 AM
slh2099

Hawks fans are starting to irritate me sadly. Good young team yes, but I don't see you guys repeating next year, I think you guys are underestimating the loss of your role players. We will see but I don't see the Hawks repeating.

As for Modano? If this is true good signing, solid two way game, and he brings allot of speed to your third line.

slh2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDangleBeach View Post
i just dont understand where/how he fits in here in detroit. no matter how you twist or turn it... it just doesnt really make sense on paper. we already are OVERLOADED on forwards as it is and we can assume our top 6 is as follows....

datsyuk-zberg-holmstrom
hudler-filpula-franzen
cleary-modano-bertuzzi
abs-draper-helm

eaves-miller-ritola

we would be fine if we could just roll 5 lines. haha

subtract modano from the line-up and you still have 2 extra forwards. i guess we can assume if modano is signed we wave goodbye to at least 1/3 between eaves miller ritola... even if it SHOULD be draper, it wont be.

maybe holland has something up his sleeve and he knows if he signs modano he can trade for a D using meech+one of those 3 forwards but i just dont want to see eaves/miller/ritola go so we can sign modano for a year.
I think the point is an NHL team isn't a bunch of action figures you keep on your shelf. It's a living, moving jigsaw puzzle that changes when given the opportunity to improve. A motivated Mike Modano would be a great addition to the Wings, regardless of what happens to a spare part or two.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote