HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ran out of tape?

Old
07-19-2010, 11:34 AM
vyktor

vCash: 500
Ran out of tape?

I play adult league and my son plays a couple time a week too, we go through a lot of tape and it seems the pro shop is never open.

people are constantly looking for tape, and other stuff they either lost of forgot

I contacted a couple of local rinks and got set up to put vending machine in to sell tape etc.

The machines will have Tape(stick friction, grip and shin in a few colors), laces (hockey and figure), mouthguards (adult and child), stick wax, whistles.

maybe neck guards as they seem to get lost quite a bit, and helmet screws.

What else would you stick in there.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:41 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post
I play adult league and my son plays a couple time a week too, we go through a lot of tape and it seems the pro shop is never open.

people are constantly looking for tape, and other stuff they either lost of forgot

I contacted a couple of local rinks and got set up to put vending machine in to sell tape etc.

The machines will have Tape(stick friction, grip and shin in a few colors), laces (hockey and figure), mouthguards (adult and child), stick wax, whistles.

maybe neck guards as they seem to get lost quite a bit, and helmet screws.

What else would you stick in there.
Throw in a stone for good measure. It seems that nobody has one of those around when I need them, and my bag doesn't have any extra compartments for tools n stuff.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
MNWild9

how about towels just even small micro fiber ones for people wanting to wipe off their mask or visor. Also maybe just normal old towels for on the bench you never know how many will sell

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:53 AM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Throw in a stone for good measure. It seems that nobody has one of those around when I need them, and my bag doesn't have any extra compartments for tools n stuff.
I'm looking at having sweet-sticks, although stones would be cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWild9 View Post
how about towels just even small micro fiber ones for people wanting to wipe off their mask or visor. Also maybe just normal old towels for on the bench you never know how many will sell
Sham Wow!

Old
07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Lario Melieux*

That's a hell of an idea!!!

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:53 PM
densetsu

With the wide range of sizes of all these items, you know that the machine is going to be jammed up half the time. Or else it'll be quickly filled up with money because guys are putting in a ton of bills and coins to pay for a $30 sharpening stone.

If there's no concession stand, then let the office sell these items in person. A vending machine would be a logistical nightmare.

Though if I were to sell items, toss in pucks and water bottles. In a group of 15 guys, when one person runs out of tape or wax or laces, or needs a sharpening stone, then there's bound to be 10 other guys with these items. But when a men's league team has one person responsible to bring a bag of pucks, or the water bottles, and they forget... chaos ensues. Even having five pucks for warmup, or a few water bottles on the bench is infinitely better than having none at all, and you'd be surprised how many guys never keep a few pucks or their own water bottle in their bag.

Also, where's the boiling water for molding the mouthguard going to come from?

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:40 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Our rink has such a machine. Doesn't get used much- usually people just borrow tape in the locker room or grab the rink attendant to open the shop. It has some candy and snacks, and cheapo mouthguards that don't need boiling as well as the laces and tape.

The easiest thing to change is to just have the rink change their shop policy so that an employee can open it up whenever it's needed. Or just have the office sell them- our rink does that with socks and used to do it with gloves- now we have a box of gloves that people lost at the rink for loaners, but the socks still sell, and it works nicely for people at public who forget them.

And densetsu, why the hell does your rink not supply the pucks? And why the hell can't you bring your own water bottle?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

The Rink I play at has a Pro shop built into it, and is open every second the rink is, But their prices suck, But its perfect if you break a lace when lacing up your skates.

I buy my crap at a privatly owned shop by my house.

But the Vending machine would be a great idea if your rink isnt like the one im at.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 04:22 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
If your rink has a regular snack machine ask to add those options to the machine... you're likely not going to sell enough of that stuff to justify a machine for JUST accessories but it's worth a couple slots in a regular snack machine. I was able to get my rink to add the items since I know who owns/runs the machines and it fills slots that he doesn't need to stock additional candy/chips, it's a win/win/win.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 04:37 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
And densetsu, why the hell does your rink not supply the pucks? And why the hell can't you bring your own water bottle?
I have my own water bottle, but that's because I'm the goalie and I keep it to myself on top of my net. The rest of the team shares 12 bottles or so, and it has to suck when that one guy forgets to bring them and there's nothing on the bench to drink.

The rink (or maybe the league) supplies game pucks, but that's it. We're on our own to supply warm-up pucks. It's a pretty crappy warm-up without them. Most of the time, when the captain is gone and/or forgets to bring the puck bag, we can only scrounge up maybe 4 - 6 pucks. I have a dozen pucks in my bag, but only volunteer them to my own team. If I'm subbing in net for a team I barely know, I won't give them out because I know they'll lose half of them.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:35 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
That's really odd- our rink dumps a bucket of pucks on the ice for warmup, and at the end they get put back in the penalty booth. And the bottles thing is silly. There's no need for that in a men's league, just bring your own damn bottle filled with what you want. Beer is the only liquid that you should be taking turns with.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Where do you live, OP? Every rink I've ever played at has had a pro-shop in it, whether it be in the Toronto area, Ottawa, Quebec etc. Some are small and only have the bare essentials while some are larger and have more variety.

And I've never heard of a rink supplying pucks for games or practices.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:57 PM
jsykes

Our rink doesnt supply pucks at all for league play, only pickup. Teams supply their own, even game pucks.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Wow. This is a great idea ... GREAT!

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:50 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Our rink doesnt supply pucks at all for league play, only pickup. Teams supply their own, even game pucks.
this.
down in the states they used to supply pucks for everything. here they dont.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 11:03 AM
greyraven8

Only thing not already suggested for the machine that I can think of is a cheap lock.

As far as the water bottle situation, seems to be the same here. When I started playing beer league everyone brought their own bottle; now players seem to expect the guy in charge to bring a set. Players used to pick up pucks after warmup - now they shoot them at the bench.

Out of the 8 or so rinks here (Thunder Bay, ON) I can only think of one with a pro shop. Some have concession stands, but those are usually only open for kids league or junior and up games. Most have vending machines.

Never heard of a rink supplying pucks.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Where do you live, OP? Every rink I've ever played at has had a pro-shop in it, whether it be in the Toronto area, Ottawa, Quebec etc. Some are small and only have the bare essentials while some are larger and have more variety.

And I've never heard of a rink supplying pucks for games or practices.
I'm in Pittsburgh, and while most of the rinks have proshops, they are rarely open, usually for a couple of hours in the afternoon and 8-10 hours on a busy weekend. Men's league games are almost always after that, there usually not staffed during stick times and often not when the kids are practicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
With the wide range of sizes of all these items, you know that the machine is going to be jammed up half the time. Or else it'll be quickly filled up with money because guys are putting in a ton of bills and coins to pay for a $30 sharpening stone.

If there's no concession stand, then let the office sell these items in person. A vending machine would be a logistical nightmare.

Though if I were to sell items, toss in pucks and water bottles. In a group of 15 guys, when one person runs out of tape or wax or laces, or needs a sharpening stone, then there's bound to be 10 other guys with these items. But when a men's league team has one person responsible to bring a bag of pucks, or the water bottles, and they forget... chaos ensues. Even having five pucks for warmup, or a few water bottles on the bench is infinitely better than having none at all, and you'd be surprised how many guys never keep a few pucks or their own water bottle in their bag.

Also, where's the boiling water for molding the mouthguard going to come from?
The offices aren't really interested in having to maintain stock and add to what the cashiers have to do.

You've never molded a mouthpiece in a cup of coffee or tea? you've no idea what you are missing out on. There's already a hot beverage machine there, not sure how well the hot cocoa would work. The thing is if your kid needs one stuffed in his mouth or he can't play you can go un-molded.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
rinkrat22

I've been to some rinks that had vending machines in the lobby, because the place didnt have a proshop. mouthguards, laces, tape of various colors, stick wax, and stones.

I dont know where a stone is 30 bucks but around here they are pretty cheap.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Razzmatazz

Socks...makes more sense for the flipflop climate people.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 01:06 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
Socks...makes more sense for the flipflop climate people.
+1. The only thing not mentioned previously that my rink has in their vending machine is socks. Socks, Mouthguards, Stick Tape, Shin Tape. Possibly one more item.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Frankie Spankie

That's actually an awesome idea, I should mention a vending machine like that to the rinks I play at. Things I would include:

* Tape - All kinds
* Laces - All sizes
* Stick Wax
* Sharpening Stone/Tool (Not sure how the stones work but I know you can get something like this: http://www.playersbench.com/prod.ihtml?pid=2471 It just pinches an edge in)
* Lace tightening tool (I get made fun of for using this but I love my skates tight and this tool is the only way to do it without hurting my fingers)
* Skate guards - I've seen people lose them a couple of times in the locker rooms, probably misplaced in someone else's bag or something, but at least they could replace them.
* Bathing stuff - Mainly soap/shampoo, maybe flip flops/water shoes, for people who forget them. Not sure about you guys, but I don't want to share a bar of soap with some guy in the shower Also maybe shaving cream/razors for people who play in the mornings.
* Maybe some water bottles
* Pucks - It's usually a random skater that will bring a bag of pucks but it sucks when that guy doesn't show up for a game. Everybody digs through their pucks and you get one, maybe two for warm ups.

Will post again if I think of more.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:59 AM
nullterm

Can't wait for someone to post a pic of a vending machine full of pucks. Epic.

Those energy gel type things might be a good idea too.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Can't wait for someone to post a pic of a vending machine full of pucks. Epic.

Those energy gel type things might be a good idea too.
Ahh yes, this! I've tried those Gatorade Prime things before and thought they helped, and you're supposed to take it just 15 minutes before you play. My problem is that they only have them at grocery stores around here and I don't do my grocery shopping, so I don't get them that often.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 03:40 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Great "idea"? This has been around for years at most rinks

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:21 AM
ean

Fantastic idea that I have not seen in 17 years of playing.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote