HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

So......................why so quiet on the trades?!?!

Old
07-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

vCash: 500
Some people are trying to make Kovy like Lebron

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

There are teams that are still over the cap, I think.

They need to unload players.

The longer the other GMs make them wait...the better for those other GMs.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Once Kovalchuk signs, IMO Kaberle may be traded. If New jersey signs Kovalchuk, LA may go after him. If LA signs Kovalchuk, then San Jose and maybe Dallas will go after Kaberle to improve their clubs as well.

God Damn you Kovalchuk. Everyone wants your saga to end, and everyone wants the Kaberle saga to end!

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 09:00 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic19 View Post
Oh my god I wish I had those ten minutes back.

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Valley Boys

I'm really not that convinced that Kovy is holding up some kind of plethora of trades/UFA signings (no matter how many times those goons on TSN say it). The final teams in on him were very unlikely destinations for Kaberle. And now it looks like he'll sign for a very affordable cap-hit.

GMs who needed to add that kind of defenseman already pursued pieces - it's laughable that they wouldn't address their team needs when they could to try and wait to see if some kind of super bargain turned up after (which is now looks like it won't). Most of the teams that had a need + ability have already made a move. I've got enough bets out there with local Leaf fans that Kaberle starts the season in with them.

I don't follow the NBA - but wasn't LeBron the last of the big free-agents to sign? What did that 'hold up?'

I don't know, just my opinion

Valley Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boys View Post
I don't follow the NBA - but wasn't LeBron the last of the big free-agents to sign? What did that 'hold up?
I don't follow it either, but I'd assume that the teams that didn't land LeBron suddenly had cap space available they were hoping to use on LeBron. With the king out of the picture, they scrambled to sign anyone they could with their suddenly free cap space.

Same with Kolvachuk. Haven't followed it as well, but I'm assuming Jersey, the Kings, and the Islanders all have the cap space available for Ilya in case he decides to sign on their team. Once Kovalchuk makes his decision, the two teams that he didn't choose will scramble to sign/trade to fill in the available cap space with the best left available. For instance, Kovalchuk's decision may be keeping Frolov from being signed, as Frolov is likely the 2nd best winger available.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Valley Boys

And that's fair - teams looking for top-line scoring will go out and try to fill that need. But at this point 1) most teams probably know they're out and 2) just because they were looking to sign a forward, doesn't mean they'll use what cap-space is left to go after a defenseman like Kaberle (not that he couldn't help those teams, just that one need doesn't imply the other).

I'm sure there'll be a couple more moves, but I don't think there'll be much fireworks the rest of the summer. Too many teams in positions were they can't really deal. That's why I think Burke won't be able to find a trade that he clearly 'wins' or feels comfortable with. Given last season, he needs the Leafs to show marked improvement this year. Keeping their primary puck moving defenseman would go a long way towards that. Hahaha...I have no idea, like everyone else really, but I say the Leafs hold him to see if they can run for the playoffs.

Valley Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
Oh my god I wish I had those ten minutes back.
Why?! Those guys are hilarious!

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 05:42 AM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
To be fair I bet they wish the had the last 19 days back

pedrospecialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Hi guys,

This is my first off-season since NHL gripped my life and ate my soul, so I'm not wildly familiar with the trends, but...........

Why since the draft/UFA Opening day+night as there been like nothing happening?

There are still a TON of UFAs, a handful of quality RFAs out there, and no one is making trades, like at all. Infact, correct me if I'm wrong, but has there been a trade since July 9th? (Voros+Hillier for Eminger)

After the first day of the UFAs when First the Flyers grabbed Shelley for a STEAL, then the Rangers fans were laughing hard until they got Boogey for an even BIGGER deal, I was laughing so hard at this forum!!!

Then when Oli Jokinen went back to Calgary, reading these posts brought so much humour!!

But it's been quiet since........Any idea why, or when it will pick up again? I enjoy trades/signings
Kaberle only 1 on the market

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Cappo40*

It's that God Damned Kovalchuk I tells ya....he is sitting in his house in the Swiss Alps just waiting for the trillions to roll in....

His decision timeframe is making Sundin's look short

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Jimmy Villa

Personally, I think all 30 GMs should make a pact to forget he exists.......See how quick he makes his mind up then!!!

For how long he is alleged to have been in LA 'thrashing out' a deal, the Kings would be devastated if they didn't pick him up now.

Although, I think they will.

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:10 AM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Personally, I think all 30 GMs should make a pact to forget he exists.......See how quick he makes his mind up then!!!

For how long he is alleged to have been in LA 'thrashing out' a deal, the Kings would be devastated if they didn't pick him up now.

Although, I think they will.
He was in LA for all of 2-3 days and only met with the Kings once or twice. Everything else has been done with his agent.

Kovalchuk could have signed at 12:01 on July 1st and this would still be a slow time for trades. That's just how offseasons usually are. You'll see more after arbitration hearings are done and training camp gets closer and teams have to get under the cap.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

My top 3 reasons...

1) Arbitration rulings. Teams are reluctant to sign UFAs as they want to see what their pending RFAs will get.

2) Kovalchuk needs to sign somewhere. Whoever signs him will likely have to make a trade to stay under the cap after; it will also cause a domino affect as teams will have to look elsewhere for a top 6 forward.

3) GM's are in no hurry to sign remaining free agents as they're trying to get them cheap. Maybe throw out some camp invites and sign the guys you want after training camp well below market value. See Malhotra signing late last season with SJ for 0.7mil.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Prattalot

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=327880

Prattalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Cappo40*

Kovy signs, and a trade just hours later...

SEE...IT WAS ALL KOVY

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote