HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Modano to play with Detroit...

Old
07-19-2010, 09:53 AM
DangleDangleBeach

vCash: 500
yeah i know its a business, and i do agree modano will add depth and create an opportunity for us to have 3 SOLID scoring lines as well as competition for just about every position. im just saying it will be very intereting to see what this roster looks like after preseason.

just would suck to have ritola be the one to go and have him pull a leino/quincey, my fear with this modano situation... but i guess **** happens

DangleDangleBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Don't comment on teams you have no clue about. The Wild will likely end up somewhere between 6-9 in the West next season which to me is a playoff contender. Besides do the Wings really need another player who is ready for social security.
Apparently they give out social security when you hit 35 in Michigan...

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:22 AM
cupforwings09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDangleBeach View Post
i just dont understand where/how he fits in here in detroit. no matter how you twist or turn it... it just doesnt really make sense on paper. we already are OVERLOADED on forwards as it is and we can assume our top 6 is as follows....

datsyuk-zberg-holmstrom
hudler-filpula-franzen
cleary-modano-bertuzzi
abs-draper-helm

eaves-miller-ritola

we would be fine if we could just roll 5 lines. haha

subtract modano from the line-up and you still have 2 extra forwards. i guess we can assume if modano is signed we wave goodbye to at least 1/3 between eaves miller ritola... even if it SHOULD be draper, it wont be.

maybe holland has something up his sleeve and he knows if he signs modano he can trade for a D using meech+one of those 3 forwards but i just dont want to see eaves/miller/ritola go so we can sign modano for a year.
He would be playing on the third line with cleary and hudler to start the season. Draper would most likely be the 13th forward while Abdelkadar centers the 4th line with Helm and Eaves....

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Filpula-Bertuzzi
Cleary-Modano-Hudler
Helm-Abdelkader-Eaves
Ritola-Draper-Miller(likely traded with Meech)

he fits into the lineup pretty good imo.

cupforwings09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:47 AM
dtones520

Quote:
i just dont understand where/how he fits in here in detroit. no matter how you twist or turn it... it just doesnt really make sense on paper. we already are OVERLOADED on forwards as it is and we can assume our top 6 is as follows....

datsyuk-zberg-holmstrom
hudler-filpula-franzen
cleary-modano-bertuzzi
abs-draper-helm

eaves-miller-ritola

we would be fine if we could just roll 5 lines. haha

subtract modano from the line-up and you still have 2 extra forwards. i guess we can assume if modano is signed we wave goodbye to at least 1/3 between eaves miller ritola... even if it SHOULD be draper, it wont be.

maybe holland has something up his sleeve and he knows if he signs modano he can trade for a D using meech+one of those 3 forwards but i just dont want to see eaves/miller/ritola go so we can sign modano for a year.
Players like Eaves, Miller and Ritola are a dime a dozen in the NHL. So you lose one of them, there will be a guy exactly like them available in free agency next year or within Detroit's system. There arent many guys out there like Modano, even an aging Modano, who can give the Wings a legit, dangerous third line.

Plus, a guy like Modano puts butts in the seats so the signing makes sense from a business standpoint for the team as well. Miller, Eaves, Ritola, etc. do not do that.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:30 PM
DangleDangleBeach

just because it doesnt make sense on paper doesnt mean it wont work out... im aware that holland can waive/trade/cut some guys if necessary.

just hard to watch guys like eaves and miller turn it around so hard with us then maybe have the door shut on them. once again... i know its a business, just would a tough loss imo.

i do disagree with one thing however.... miller/eaves may be a dime a dozen, great shutdown pk guys but ritola has never been given a chance (much like quincey) so its tough for me to agree that he is as well "a dime a dozen"

with or without modano i like what we have going for next year... i love our top 6 already.... dats z holmstrom, franzen filpula hudler, third line of bert, cleary, modano/abby.... its going to be a fun year

DangleDangleBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:54 PM
PocketGnome

Quote:
just because it doesnt make sense on paper doesnt mean it wont work out... im aware that holland can waive/trade/cut some guys if necessary.

just hard to watch guys like eaves and miller turn it around so hard with us then maybe have the door shut on them. once again... i know its a business, just would a tough loss imo.

i do disagree with one thing however.... miller/eaves may be a dime a dozen, great shutdown pk guys but ritola has never been given a chance (much like quincey) so its tough for me to agree that he is as well "a dime a dozen"

with or without modano i like what we have going for next year... i love our top 6 already.... dats z holmstrom, franzen filpula hudler, third line of bert, cleary, modano/abby.... its going to be a fun year
Consider the roles of the players. Who is the better option at 3rd line center?

Quincey had plenty of chances. Quincey was a guy who couldn't beat out Chelios or Meech for a roster spot.

Ritola probably doesn't have a long term plan with the team anyway. Mursak, Tatar, Nyquist, Nestrasil, Sheahan, Ferraro all project much nicer to the NHL. Ritola is gone as far as I'm concerned, it's just a matter of when.

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote