HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne Would Only Waive To Tampa

Old
07-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

vCash: 500
Gagne Would Only Waive To Tampa

Sorry about another Gagne thread but I could have sworn that I heard that Gagne say that he would only waive to go to TB. Anyone else hear that in his interview with Boruk?

EDIT: Also in Post #10:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jul...rts-lightning/

Quote:
"It's always a surprise and a little bit of shock when a team you played for for 10 years asks you to move a no-trade clause," gagne said. "The deal with the Flyers was for me and my agent to talk to other teams. That was the only way were willing to do it.

"Tampa Bay was the team that was really interesting to myself and that's when we started talking to Steve Yzerman and we able to make something happen with them. I was willing to waive my no-trade clause only for Tampa Bay, not for other teams."

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay

Last edited by Hollywood Couturier: 07-19-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
If you can't get a deal, then you trade someone else and see what you can get.

It's also July 19, and not October 1.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:17 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Sorry about another Gagne thread but I could have sworn that I heard that Gagne say that he would only waive to go to TB. Anyone else hear that in his interview with Boruk?
I don't speak French at all, but apparently this source says that Gagne contacted the Habs first: http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...uve-23152.html

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I am guessing he did NOT want to the Kings, otherwise they would have easily beaten TB's offer.

I'm thinking he would have waived it for teams other than TB but few (if any) with the cap space to accommodate him.

EDIT: Read the link you posted in French (FYI I speak French and Spanish ... not sure when there will ever be a hockey article in Spanish though LOL) and it says that Gagne's agent said that Montreal was always high on Gagne's list of teams. The first day they were discussing trades they contacted Montreal, the Habs responded immediately that they did not have the money to acquire Gagne.

Much of the article is just statements of facts. It also says Gagne wanted to finish his career in Philly but it seemed decreasingly likely over time. Suave goes on to say that Gagne really liked the forward corps in Tampa and the new leadership there, nothing earth-shaking.

Last edited by Andrew Knoll: 07-19-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

At least he'll TEAR **** up being on that top line.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
dalessam

Send a message via AIM to dalessam
Quote:
That's what it sounded like to me. When he was talking about faxing the paperwork to waive the NTC..

dalessam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I don't speak French at all, but apparently this source says that Gagne contacted the Habs first: http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...uve-23152.html
Thats not what it says. It says he contacted Montreal on day 1 and they told him it would be impossible because of his salary.

His agent also says that Philly was where he wanted to be.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
I am guessing he did NOT want to the Kings, otherwise they would have easily beaten TB's offer.

I'm thinking he would have waived it for teams other than TB but few (if any) with the cap space to accommodate him.

EDIT: Read the link you posted in French (FYI I speak French and Spanish ... not sure when there will ever be a hockey article in Spanish though LOL) and it says that Gagne's agent said that Montreal was always high on Gagne's list of teams. The first day they were discussing trades they contacted Montreal, the Habs responded immediately that they did not have the money to acquire Gagne.
Thing is that the Kings don't really have a hateable contract like Matt Walker's to give back.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Thing is that the Kings don't really have a hateable contract like Matt Walker's to give back.
this is true, the kings are suddenly pretty smart with their money. hence their passing on kovalchuk and his gun-to-temple negotiation.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jul...rts-lightning/

Quote:
"It's always a surprise and a little bit of shock when a team you played for for 10 years asks you to move a no-trade clause," gagne said. "The deal with the Flyers was for me and my agent to talk to other teams. That was the only way were willing to do it.

"Tampa Bay was the team that was really interesting to myself and that's when we started talking to Steve Yzerman and we able to make something happen with them. I was willing to waive my no-trade clause only for Tampa Bay, not for other teams."

Old
07-19-2010, 08:26 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Well that certainly makes it difficult to make a trade

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Viller

If the ****** return does not make sense to you guys now, I dont know what will.

And no, they wouldn't have traded Hartnell instead because he probably didn't want to go first of all and second, there were no options on the UFA market to replace him. Also, they would have been in the same situation since Harts would have decided where he wanted to go.

Old
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Crossbar Ping

I guess that helps in being one of the reasons why Holmgren didn't get much return for him. A guy that scores *** amazing clutch goals in playoffs and is a natural talent.

Sad to see the french connection reduce too....

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
I think he'll do well there, but I'm sad to see him go. The keystone to our comeback victory, 10 years in the making.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.com/

Quote:
The Flyers traded long-time winger Simon Gagne to the Tampa Bay Lightning today in exchange for defenseman Matt Walker and a fourth round draft pick in 2011.

It was expected that Gagne would be moved, but the question was where. Multiple teams were interested but the Flyers made a trade for a solid defenseman, a draft pick and most importantly, salary cap space.

The deal puts the Flyers a little more than $1 million under the cap with 23 players signed.

Gagne, 30, was the longest tenured Flyer and the co-dean (with Eagles kicker David Akers) of Philadelphia professional athletes having played for the Flyers consecutively since 2000.

“I was expecting it because of all that has happened in the last few weeks," Gagne said. "The Flyers asked me to waive my no-trade clause maybe about a month ago. At that point I was not quite ready to do that. But as time went on, I pretty much had no choice. But to hear today that I was traded is still a little bit of shock for me. It’s the first time that I have been traded.

“But, I am looking forward to going to Tampa Bay. I’m very excited. I look at this as a new challenge. They have a great bunch of guys there that I know already... I like the way the team is going right now with the new direction under Steve Yzerman and the coaching changes. It is a tough time but on the other side I am very excited to being able to play in Tampa next year.”

Gagne has one year remaining on his contract at $5.25 million and will be an unrestricted free agent after the upcoming season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Terence Peterman

It doesn't ****ing matter if he'd only waive for Tampa, because there were other ****ing options, like not trading for Andrej ****ing Meszaros and, consequently, no matter what, having an overpaid fifth defenseman; like not signing Jody ****ing Shelley the first day of free agency; like not signing Michael ****ing Leighton the day before free agency even started because you're too much of a ****ing ***** to play the market and see how it works itself out and too much of a ****ing dumbass ********ing dumb **** to realize there's more goalies than ****ing jobs.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
At least he'll TEAR **** up being on that top line.
Not sure what the combinations are going to end up being down there, but Tampa has a hell of a top 6

Stamkos
Vinny
St Louis
Downie
Malone
Gagne

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

thanks for posting that MSE

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:35 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
It doesn't ****ing matter if he'd only waive for Tampa, because there were other ****ing options, like not trading for Andrej ****ing Meszaros and, consequently, no matter what, having an overpaid fifth defenseman; like not signing Jody ****ing Shelley the first day of free agency; like not signing Michael ****ing Leighton the day before free agency even started because you're too much of a ****ing ***** to play the market and see how it works itself out and too much of a ****ing dumbass ********ing dumb **** to realize there's more goalies than ****ing jobs.
Exactly!!

I am going to sound like a broken record here..... $3 million tied up in Shelley and Walker, assuming he isnt buried in the minors. And if they were going to do that, why get him to begin with?? There is no defending this offseason. NONE

The only good move was Odonnell, thats it.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Crossbar Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
That deserves a repeat.

god damn it all. what is he smoking this is just insane

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Not sure what the combinations are going to end up being down there, but Tampa has a hell of a top 6

Stamkos
Vinny
St Louis
Downie
Malone
Gagne
Can they play defence too? Because they are certainly gonna need it now. Offence wont be a problem in Tampa but the D will be.

Old
07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Can they play defence too? Because they are certainly gonna need it now. Offence wont be a problem in Tampa but the D will be.
Ohlund-Hedman
Kubina-Clark
Ranger-Smaby

It's not that bad.

Old
07-19-2010, 08:45 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Ohlund-Hedman
Kubina-Clark
Ranger-Smaby

It's not that bad.
Replace Ranger with Lundin who was our best defenseman last year from December on. Ranger is done if I had to make a guess.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:45 PM
tuckrr

maybe this will be a lesson and we will stop giving out NTC's

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

It was his right, that's the drawback of these kind of clauses. I wish him all the best, except for the playoffs.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote