HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne Would Only Waive To Tampa

Old
07-19-2010, 08:47 PM
FlyerEra2010

vCash: 500
Okay, if Homer was pretty much held at gun point and forced to take on a crappy contract to get anything at all for Gagne, this horrible trade makes more sense. If he goes on to bury Walker in the minors and get us a freakin' goalie, I'll forgive him. Won't be holding my breath for that to happen though.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:48 PM
SpezDispenser

I just saw this thread from the main page, so I don't mean to be trolling here, but if he'd ONLY waive for TB and that was all they'd give, wouldn't it be better for the Flyers to simply waive him?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I just saw this thread from the main page, so I don't mean to be trolling here, but if he'd ONLY waive for TB and that was all they'd give, wouldn't it be better for the Flyers to simply waive him?
They wouldn't do that to a player like Gagne.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Not if we bury Walker and his awful contract in the minors. A fourth round pick is better than nothing.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mikedifr

Quote:
Or how about trade someone else???

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Yeah, you really can't blame Gags for only wanting what he thought was the best for him. I mean, he signed a contract with a NTC for a reason.

And more importantly, he should not have been asked to waive his NTC. There were other options that were eventually limited because of cap/asset mismanagement.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Can they play defence too? Because they are certainly gonna need it now. Offence wont be a problem in Tampa but the D will be.
Maybe you haven't seen Walker play, that is addition by subtraction for the Lightning.

Hedman-Kubina
Ohlund-Lundin
Clark-Lashoff

Rschmitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
Not if we bury Walker and his awful contract in the minors. A fourth round pick is better than nothing.
They better bury that contract in the minors....if not, he is even dumber than most of us think

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I officially take back everything I said about Homer.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Terence Peterman

I can't believe some of you are justifying the trade by Gagne actually invoking his no trade clause, choosing that over the stone ****ing cold logic of not being a ****ing piece of **** GM in every move since almost ****ing forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
No offense, but holy ****ing ****. If this doesn't act as a pillar for Holmgren being a Temple of ****-up, then I don't know what does.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 08:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 917
Quote:
It's a valid inquiry. Not sure of what went on behind closed doors since the deportment could have included an amount of nepotism from Holmgren to Gagne. As difficult as that thought concept is, it may not be a stretch in that Holmgren was accomodating Gagne.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:01 PM
clockwise

Interesting choice, I'd like to hear his answer on why.. Perhaps because of St. Louis and Lecavalier? I also know that Yzerman loves Gagne.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwise View Post
Interesting choice, I'd like to hear his answer on why.. Perhaps because of St. Louis and Lecavalier? I also know that Yzerman loves Gagne.
Quote:
“But, I am looking forward to going to Tampa Bay. I’m very excited. I look at this as a new challenge. They have a great bunch of guys there that I know already... I like the way the team is going right now with the new direction under Steve Yzerman and the coaching changes. It is a tough time but on the other side I am very excited to being able to play in Tampa next year.”
From one of the articles.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Ohlund-Hedman
Kubina-Clark
Ranger-Smaby

It's not that bad.
I agree, its not bad. Its pretty laughable if you compare it to this though

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Mezsaros-O'Donnell

Our 3rd could be the first on some nights.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here's more from John Boruk...

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/19/10/Bo...982&feedID=704

Quote:
There’s a reason why fans and media members embraced Simon Gagne. On the ice, Gagne was a solid two-way player and exceptional goal-scorer who represented the organization with class and dignity.

Off the ice, win or lose, great game or awful one, No. 12 always talked. Always. Not once did Gagne ever say to me, “I just don’t feel like it.” While he may have said all the right things in our exclusive conversation on Wachovia SportsNite, he was clearly disappointed and upset that he couldn’t leave Philadelphia on his own terms. So what was true and what was myth?

There were a handful of teams, maybe five or six, that Gagne was actually willing to waive his no-trade clause for. That’s it. Gagne was becoming bothered by all the rumors floating around, and at times shielded himself from the distraction.

While he wouldn’t specifically spell out every team, despite various published reports, the Los Angeles Kings were not an option. He was never asked to consider a trade to LA, and there wasn’t a deal on the table to his knowledge. In fact, Gagne wasn’t too keen on joining a team in the Western Conference, an element I’m finding is at the top of a guy’s list when it comes to signing a contract or approving a trade – they don’t like the travel, especially when they’ve played their entire careers in the Eastern Time Zone and especially those who reside here during the offseason.

What were Gagne’s main deciding factors? Would you believe: cap space. Ironically, he didn’t want to be with a team in a similar situation the Flyers had put themselves for a couple of reasons. Primarily, he is not looking at this as a one-year rental. That may or may not be the situation in Tampa Bay, but he wanted to know that there would be plenty of cap room to sign a multi-year contract past this upcoming season.

Surprisingly, the Detroit Red Wings had expressed interest and wanted to add Gagne, but with less than $4 million in cap space, the idea of joining one of the most successful franchises in hockey didn’t seem too appealing. The same can be said for his hometown Montreal Canadiens.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I knew you'd come around sometime.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I knew you'd come around sometime.
It happens.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
It's a valid inquiry. Not sure of what went on behind closed doors since the deportment could have included an amount of nepotism from Holmgren to Gagne. As difficult as that thought concept is, it may not be a stretch in that Holmgren was accomodating Gagne.
Its exactly what happenned.

People seem to not understand this.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
The funny thing about this article is that Timmy P. had in his article that LA was one of the destinations.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
The funny thing about this article is that Timmy P. had in his article that LA was one of the destinations.
That's from Eklund on HockeyBuzz...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...rumors/1/29411

Quote:
But something else happened in LA...

And shortly after the Gagne trade went down I was told the Kings were working on another big-time top 6 forward. and that's why no Gagne. Dean Lombardi has told Helene Elliott he wasn't really considering plan B at this point. Again if that's true then Dean is in trouble here. I don't believe he is, and knowing Dean Lombardi he already has plans B through M in a file somewhere. He is planner, and there is no way he wasn't planning for this possibility.

So who is it?

Why did the Kings balk at Gagne when it was obvious the Flyers were waiting for them to make an offer? It could be Sharp, or Savard,...but I really feel the Kings are targeting either Jason Spezza or Vincent Lecavalier...there are already rumors about this tonight...by tomorrow it could be everywhere..

As for the Flyers, while it is hard to say good-bye to Simon Gagne, Walker is a good fit. I know many of the fans are having a hard time with this, but Walker is a solid 5/6D with supreme toughness and a great locker room presence.. Similar to Shawn O'Donnell. In Walker and O'Donnell the Flyers have essentially grabbed two Jason Smiths and what they were missing in the Hawks series.

As for the next two dominoes..

Kaberle and Frolov...

Frolov is not coming back to LA i am told. He wants to play in Montreal, Columbus, Washington, or believe it or not, NJ. And sources I talked today on Kaberle were upbeat about Kovalchuk landing in NJ and also said the offers are getting better all the time for Tomas. That being said, "No Leafs will be traded this week" I was clearly told.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Or how about trade someone else???
Who? Carter? Hartnell?

No options to replace those guys at 2million, I can guarantee you that.

And no, he wouldn't have traded a Dman. Haven't you learned anything from this season at all? It might happen now though, kinda doubt it since they can bury Bartulis in the minors for a year.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
That's from Eklund on HockeyBuzz...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...rumors/1/29411
WHAT THEY WERE MISSING AGAINST THE HAWKS??? I'm sorry, are one of those two guys A FRIGGIN' GOALIE??????

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM
lancer247

Quote:
That's because he is on vacation and piecing old incorrect info. Boruk actually spoke to Gagne.

Flyers wouldn't let Jones sit in the AHL. Do people (not youbut in general) think they would banish Gagne to EDM? Waiving him was never an option.

I really don't see them acquiring a relatively young (although not very good) dman in Walker just to send him down. He would never pass through re-entry waivers for half his salary. Carrying $1.7M for a 7th dman isn't likely to happen.

There has to be another dman getting moved. Coburn or Carle? I can't imagine Kimo.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Who? Carter? Hartnell?

No options to replace those guys at 2million, I can guarantee you that.

And no, he wouldn't have traded a Dman. Haven't you learned anything from this season at all? It might happen now though, kinda doubt it since they can bury Bartulis in the minors for a year.
We didn't replace Gagne at 2 million.

And what I learned last season was though even before we added two decent third pairing guys our defense was good. Trading for a four million dollar contract wasn't the answer.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:31 PM
i am dave

This is all well and good, and all, but ok - so Gagne only waives to Tampa... there's no reason Tampa needs to be aware of this, and thus, you should negotiate it cool, not on the gun.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote