HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne Would Only Waive To Tampa

Old
07-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
This is all well and good, and all, but ok - so Gagne only waives to Tampa... there's no reason Tampa needs to be aware of this, and thus, you should negotiate it cool, not on the gun.
Gagne contacted Tampa Bay. Not the Flyers. The Flyers let Gagne and his agent talk to teams.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Yeah bottom line is that yes, given the current circumstances, we had to dump Gagne for nothing. However it's not like those circumstances were an accident, in the immediate the Meszaros and Shelley signings (one might add Leighton) forced this to happen and in the long run the loosey goosey dishing out of NTCs and NMCs by has HURT the ability of a team juggling players and fine tuning to make a move.

I don't see overpayment as an issue, we mostly have good or at least fair values, but NTC for Gagne was warranted, NTC for Hartnell was not and NMC for Briere, whew, we already gave him the world on a ****ing purple velvet pillow, why grease up the sides of a deep hole?

Any which way, if we turn around and trade Meszaros and Walker for Kiprusoff all will be forgiven hahahahahahahahahahahahaha (shoot me).

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:37 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Gagne contacted Tampa Bay. Not the Flyers. The Flyers let Gagne and his agent talk to teams.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh ok. Still is a bad trade at face value.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
I agree, its not bad. Its pretty laughable if you compare it to this though

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Mezsaros-O'Donnell

Our 3rd could be the first on some nights.
if you are implying Mezsaros-O'Donnell might play better than Ohlund-Hedman or Pronger-Carle, that would be pretty laughable.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Viller

Quote:
This is all well and good, and all, but ok - so Gagne only waives to Tampa... there's no reason Tampa needs to be aware of this, and thus, you should negotiate it cool, not on the gun.
Gagne would not waive unless he was given the right to speak to teams, what do you not understand?

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
JVR21
G

I can't blame Gagne for wanting to go some place over another, but from a fan's standpoint it is kind of a dick move. He held us hostage and made us send him to a team almost solely because of their cap space so he could get his money next year. He turned down opportunities to go to competetive teams because they probably couldn't have given him a 4+ million deal.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I can't blame Gagne for wanting to go some place over another, but from a fan's standpoint it is kind of a dick move. He held us hostage and made us send him to a team almost solely because of their cap space so he could get his money next year. He turned down opportunities to go to competetive teams because they probably couldn't have given him a 4+ million deal.
He had a NTC in his contract and he used it. I won't fault him for that.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Just because Gagne is talking to them doesn't mean they have to know there aren't other options.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:47 PM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Just because Gagne is talking to them doesn't mean they have to know there aren't other options.
Well, it's not much of a stretch to believe Gagne told Yzerman he would only waive his NTC to join Tampa Bay.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Garbage Goal

****ing Meszaros trade.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
More idiocy.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
Well, it's not much of a stretch to believe Gagne told Yzerman he would only waive his NTC to join Tampa Bay.
For one, Gagne is the epitome of a stand up guy and I doubt he blows up our spot like that. For two, you still call Yzerman's bluff and don't take his garbage. If he wants Gagne, show a real offer.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The funny/thing is that the Holmgren apologists will instantly seize on this to blame Gagne instead of remembering that we never should have been in this ****ing situation in the first place.

In the past 18 months, Holmgren has traded/released 3 of my top-5 favorite Flyers, no doubt Richards and Kimmo are next on the chopping block.

It's still a ****ing disgrace that we treated him this badly, I feel sick to my stomach. Seeing Gagne wearing a Bolts uniform is going to be one of the most jarring experiences of my hockey-watching life.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Oh, so Simon should've thought of me and you when deciding what's best for him and his family?!

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Hollywood Couturier

I think Homer was scared that someone else was going to swoop in and get Gagne so he took the Bolts offer.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
He wanted to retire a Flyer. Obviously the Flyers made it clear to him that was not going to happen. Now what does he owe them? Should he do some sneaky **** like tell the Flyers, OK, I want to go to Tampa, work out a deal with them and I'll put on some theatrics about having reservations only to ultimately waive the NTC? That is the only "cool" thing he could have done, told the Flyers where he wanted to go and had them negotiate a trade with that team banking on better return. So he should have done a favor to the team that rejected him after ten years of fine service to slight the team he is going to this season and intends to re-sign with? Yeah, that would have been reasonable.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The funny/thing is that the Holmgren apologists will instantly seize on this to blame Gagne instead of remembering that we never should have been in this ****ing situation in the first place.

In the past 18 months, Holmgren has traded/released 3 of my top-5 favorite Flyers, no doubt Richards and Kimmo are next on the chopping block.

It's still a ****ing disgrace that we treated him this badly, I feel sick to my stomach. Seeing Gagne wearing a Bolts uniform is going to be one of the most jarring experiences of my hockey-watching life.
I don't know if I would've called myself a Homer apologist, but I wasn't a hater. Believe it or not, I had faith in him. Even up until yesterday I had hope that he'd pull something out... even if it meant trading Gags -- but to get us a great return.

Not now. Not today. I'm with Shafer. There was no reason to trade Gags for a **** return if he didn't sign Jody ****ing Shelly, and resigning Coburn, Leighton, and Carcillo.

Unless he pulls something our of his ass and does something amazing, there's no excusing him for this.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:06 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Gagne would not waive unless he was given the right to speak to teams, what do you not understand?
As stated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post

Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So at least I won't have to hear Laviolette pronounce Gagne's name as Simon (Simon says) versus "See-mone" like Simon Nolet.

Stevie Y is sure shrewd...he's played Holmgren like a flute. First Holmgren "jumps" on Meszaros and gifts another 2nd rounder like a skittle. Then he gets cornered into having to dump salary because he overpays players. The consolation is a 4th rounder and player that will probably wind up like Gauthier...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
How did the Flyers mistreat Gags? They let him choose where he wanted to go, doesn't get much better than that.

Old
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
That would probably constitute bad-faith negotiating.

Old
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Viller

Quote:
As stated...
Thats not how Gagne wanted it to go, he wouldn't have waived if it went down differently. Read the ****ing arcticle.

Old
07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
healthyscratch

Maybe it's me, but wouldn't you create the cap space first, while maximizing any return for Gagne, then fill in the missing pieces after you created space for yourself. Instead he puts himself in cap hell, only to force a salary dump at the worst possible time.

I mean he jumped all over signing Leighton like he was the best FA goalie ever to hit the market, and traded for Mezsaros like there were 20 other teams asking about him even before talking to any FA dman. The logic is just ass backwards, and this is what we get for Simon Gagne. Unbelievable.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:11 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
This at least makes me feel a little bit better about the situation. Still, we never should have been in this situation.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Oh, so Simon should've thought of me and you when deciding what's best for him and his family?!

I'm not saying TB won't be a good team, but what I am saying is that Gagne chose $ over better chances to win Cups. Like I said, I can't blame him.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote