HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Canadiens Lineup Thread

Old
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
FeelsLike93

vCash: 500
I don't know I feel that if we put Eller with players that can't finish offensively we'll be stunting his growth to become our next star player. Why put him with moen and lappy? C'mon atleast give this guy Dustin Boyd on his wing he was drafted in 2007 he's already nhl ready we're only putting him on the 3rd line because we already have 2 capable 1st and 2nd line centers. For the short time (hopefully) Ellers on the 3rd line you need to atleast give him 1 offensively gifted player or else in my opinion his offensive skills aren't used to the max would would effect his offensive development..

thoughts?

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Miller Time

Anyone else concerned with the lack of any real physically intimidating/policeman presence in our entire lineup?

I mean I hate fighting in the NHL, i think it's useless and totally unnecessary, but that's another discussion.

in the meantime, who in our lineup is going to stick up for/defend the large number of smallish/non physical players that dot our lineup?

Is Moen going to be stuck being the only guy? getting his face punched in night after night because no one else can really drop the gloves? (think about it, not one of the other players in our lineup can throw down... not one!)

What happens when philly or boston comes to town, and start taking runs at our skilled guys? we don't even have any guys known for laying punishing hits.

Are Moen, Lapierre, Gill, Darche and ? really going to make any teams think twice before taking liberties on cammalleri or pleks or markov when he gets back?

If Eller and/or Subban really deliver on all the promise, and are playing at a calder level, contributing every night, why wouldn't the teams playing us send their tough guys to intimidate and physically punish our young players... both of them seem pretty capable of defending themselves, to an extent, but if it gets out of hand, who is there to step in? Boyd? Pouliot? Gomez?

the guys are in for some really tough evenings I think.

I hadn't given it much thought until know, but it's really a shame that we didn't go out and get a guy like Asham or a dman like Sutton to at least give our lineup a little bit of "muscle".

why is it we have to be going from extreme to extreme, and how does that make any kind of sense ???
bring in THE heavyweight, Laraque, who bombs because of a wonky back and a BS "code", and after you decide to buy him out, take a complete 180 and decide that the roster will have NO ONE capable of playing anything close to that role...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Anyone else concerned with the lack of any real physically intimidating/policeman presence in our entire lineup?

I mean I hate fighting in the NHL, i think it's useless and totally unnecessary, but that's another discussion.

in the meantime, who in our lineup is going to stick up for/defend the large number of smallish/non physical players that dot our lineup?

Is Moen going to be stuck being the only guy? getting his face punched in night after night because no one else can really drop the gloves? (think about it, not one of the other players in our lineup can throw down... not one!)

What happens when philly or boston comes to town, and start taking runs at our skilled guys? we don't even have any guys known for laying punishing hits.

Are Moen, Lapierre, Gill, Darche and ? really going to make any teams think twice before taking liberties on cammalleri or pleks or markov when he gets back?

If Eller and/or Subban really deliver on all the promise, and are playing at a calder level, contributing every night, why wouldn't the teams playing us send their tough guys to intimidate and physically punish our young players... both of them seem pretty capable of defending themselves, to an extent, but if it gets out of hand, who is there to step in? Boyd? Pouliot? Gomez?

I hadn't given it much thought until know, but it's really a shame that we didn't go out and get a guy like Asham or a dman like Sutton to at least give our lineup a little bit of "muscle".

why is it we have to be going from extreme to extreme, and how does that make any kind of sense ???
bring in THE heavyweight, Laraque, who bombs because of a wonky back and a BS "code", and after you decide to buy him out, take a complete 180 and decide that the roster will have NO ONE capable of playing anything close to that role...

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Eller - Desharnais - Lapierre
Pyatt - Boyd - Moen
Darche

Markov - Spacek
Hamrlik - Subban
Gorges - Gill
O'Byrne

Price
Auld

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Max Levine

Quote:

It's always the same debate: should we get tough guys to respond to a team like the Leafs?

We've heard different Habs' coaches over the years saying that the players need to be tough without the help of a goon. You had OB and Moen fighting last season while Gomez, Gionta, Laps wouldn't back down. If you get into a fighting match, you don't care about winning the game anymore. You could just call back some tough guys from the minors to play that game.

Arron Asham had good playoffs for the type of player he is but you cannot suggest, nor do you, that he was one of the reasons the Flyers got that far. But even if you were suggesting that, you got Ryan White who will be fighting for that spot. Why not go with the young guy.

I believe in the "wolf pack" mentality and players like Gomez, Gionta, Gorges, Cammy have that attitude while being talented players.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Eller - Desharnais - Lapierre
Pyatt - Boyd - Moen
Darche

Markov - Spacek
Hamrlik - Subban
Gorges - Gill
O'Byrne

Price
Auld
I sure hope Martin isn't going to put Eller on the 3rd line playing on the wing. Either he plays center on the 3rd or the wing on the 1st/2nd. I think Boyd should get more ice time and be the one used on the wing with Eller. I'd be fine with Boyd centering the 4th line if we had enough talent on the 3rd. I feel we still have an open spot on the 3rd line as RW. Maybe as someone else suggested, play Laps next to Eller and Boyd.

I believe it will be a mistake to return Spacek on the right side. There's a guy who proved he was much more comfortable on the left side. I understand Hamrlik helped Phaneuf in Calgary but I don't see why P.K. couldn't get the same support from Spacek. In fact, I can see this duo becoming the top pair on our team. If we are to keep Hammer for the whole year, give him and Gill a rest once in a while and play O'Byrne.

Finally, Moen will surely start the year in the line-up but I think a 4th line of Pyatt/Laps/White would be more effective.

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Boyd - Eller - ?
Pyatt - Lapierre - White
Darche - Moen

Markov - Hamrlik
Spacek - Subban
Gorges - Gill
O'Byrne

Price
Auld

Old
07-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Destoker

If we want Eller to reach his offensive potential, we will have to put him in a position to succeed. I think he deserves to have some linemates with decent offensive ability and not a defensive first guy like pyatt.

What i'd like to see is a third line who will hustle, play good defence and but also have that offensive spark. A guy like trotter comes to my mind, Desharnais and Avtsin too. Not patch because he'll get more seasoning with the bulldogs to get his offence going. Trotter can't be send down, so he will get a good look from management. I have the feeling Avtsin will make eyes open and could maybe find some great chemistry with Eller. The playmaker and the scorer, both big and speedy along with hard work!! Add Desharnais, the guy Boucher said was the best 2way player on his team, it's becoming interesting. He would be with 6foot2 monsters, it would compensate for his lack of size. It could be deadly my friends.

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
(Trotter Boyd) Desharnais - Eller - Avtsin (Trotter Boyd)
(Pyatt white) - Lapierre - (Moen boyd)
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Spacek
Gill- Subban
O'Byrne

Price
Auld

Destoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Horatio Caine

What about Clarke MacCarthur, at 1,75 for the 3rd line?

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Boyd
MacCarthur - Eller - Kostitsyn
Moen - Pyatt - Lapierre

Sorry, but I'm a big fan of having 3 scoring lines. And maybe it relieves Andrei of some pressure.

And yes, I know that Boyd is best suited at center or left wing

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn "Needs A Nickname Line"
Pouliot- Gomez - Gionta "G-Unit Line"
Pacioretty - Eller - Boyd "Kid Line"
Moen - Pyatt - Lapierre "Energy Line"
Darche, White

Markov - Subban
Hamrlik - Spacek
Gill - Gorges
O'Byrne

Price
Halak

Trotter - Desharnais - Palushaj
Dumont - Maxwell - Avtsin
Russel - Enqvist - Wyman
Conboy - Fortier - Bishop
Masse, Schultz

Klubertanz - Carle
Henry(?) - Weber
Benoit(?) - St Denis
Nash

Sanford
Desjardins

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Cull909

Send a message via AIM to Cull909
Cammy-Gomez-Gionta
AK-PLeks-Trotter
Pouliot-Eller-Lappy
Moen-Boyd-Pyatt
Darche

Cull909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destoker View Post
If we want Eller to reach his offensive potential, we will have to put him in a position to succeed. I think he deserves to have some linemates with decent offensive ability and not a defensive first guy like pyatt.

What i'd like to see is a third line who will hustle, play good defence and but also have that offensive spark. A guy like trotter comes to my mind, Desharnais and Avtsin too. Not patch because he'll get more seasoning with the bulldogs to get his offence going. Trotter can't be send down, so he will get a good look from management. I have the feeling Avtsin will make eyes open and could maybe find some great chemistry with Eller. The playmaker and the scorer, both big and speedy along with hard work!! Add Desharnais, the guy Boucher said was the best 2way player on his team, it's becoming interesting. He would be with 6foot2 monsters, it would compensate for his lack of size. It could be deadly my friends.

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
(Trotter Boyd) Desharnais - Eller - Avtsin (Trotter Boyd)
(Pyatt white) - Lapierre - (Moen boyd)
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Spacek
Gill- Subban
O'Byrne

Price
Auld
I may be wrong but i think Eller can play on the wing, i would try to put him with Gionta and Gomez.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
la25ecoupe

Cammy Gomez Gionta (the wolfs line)
Eller Plek AK (the sisters line)
Pouliot Boyd Pyatt (young and fast)
Moen Laps White (the meanest line we can put together)

Markov OB
Spacek PK
Hammer/Gill Gorges (hammer and gill switch turns, if we play Carolina, put Gill)

Price

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Bon Esprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn "Needs A Nickname Line"
Pouliot- Gomez - Gionta "G-Unit Line"
Pacioretty - Eller - Boyd "Kid Line"
Moen - Pyatt - Lapierre "Energy Line"
Darche, White

Markov - Subban
Hamrlik - Spacek
Gill - Gorges
O'Byrne

Price
Halak

Trotter - Desharnais - Palushaj
Dumont - Maxwell - Avtsin
Russel - Enqvist - Wyman
Conboy - Fortier - Bishop
Masse, Schultz

Klubertanz - Carle
Henry(?) - Weber
Benoit(?) - St Denis
Nash

Sanford
Desjardins
Technically, Halak is not a member of the Habs organisation. And I doubt Pyatt will center the 4th line.

Just sayin'

Bon Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
The Kozfather

Knowing how conservative Martin is, I think he'll try to build on the playoffs chemistry and stick with last season's top 2 lines, so:

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

I also dont think you'll ever see Lapierre at center again, so he's a RWer now. They'll do what they did with Pacioretty last season and give Eller a lengthy tryout on a good line. Of all the LWers who might end up with them, Moen is the highest in pecking order so I see a 3rd of:

Moen-Eller-Lapierre (which is actually a big, decent 2-way line)

That leaves for the 4th:

Pyatt-Boyd-Darche/Whichever kid has an awesome training camp.

On defense, I think they'll split the pairs to have vets mento OB and Subban, until Markov comes back in November:

Hamrlik-Spacek
Gorges-Subban
Gill-O'Byrne

The Kozfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kozfather View Post
Knowing how conservative Martin is, I think he'll try to build on the playoffs chemistry and stick with last season's top 2 lines, so:

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

I also dont think you'll ever see Lapierre at center again, so he's a RWer now. They'll do what they did with Pacioretty last season and give Eller a lengthy tryout on a good line. Of all the LWers who might end up with them, Moen is the highest in pecking order so I see a 3rd of:

Moen-Eller-Lapierre (which is actually a big, decent 2-way line)

That leaves for the 4th:

Pyatt-Boyd-Darche/Whichever kid has an awesome training camp.

On defense, I think they'll split the pairs to have vets mento OB and Subban, until Markov comes back in November:

Hamrlik-Spacek
Gorges-Subban
Gill-O'Byrne
i can't wait to see our PP defense line...

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:33 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Pouliot - Eller - MacArthur
Moen - Lapierre - Asham
Pyatt
Darche

Markov - O'Byrne (IMO, he HAS to play, top 4 D and only getting better)
Spacek - Subban
Hamrlik - Gill - Gorges

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:33 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

MacArthur, ummmm? Averages a hit per game or so. Isn't a big body...

Still, since the Habs upper echelons seem to stick with speed and skill...

AK - Pleks - Cammy
Gionta - Gomez - Pouliot
Boyd - Eller - MacArthur
Pyatt - Lapierre - Moen
Darche

You can basicaly swivel any player on the bottom six as needed.

Still no fear to the opposition in regards to physical punisment...

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:34 AM
otto bond

There so many line combos here it's insane.

What we are morelikely to see come opener:

LW/C/RW

Cammy-Plekanec-Kostitsyn...........I would like to see Kostitsyn with Gomez
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta.........I would have Andrei in Poo's spot
Moen-Eller-Lapierre.........I think Lapierre days has a center are done
Pyatt-Boyd-White....it's the 4th line

Subban-Markov......could be Spacek while Markov gets better
Carle/Spacek-Hamrlik.
Gorges-Gill
O'Byrne

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Miller Time

Once we sign price, I'd like to see the team take a flyer on a "reclamation" project type player with offensive skill to play with eller on The third line.

L.Nagy would be a decent target... Might be had ~/>1million.

Cammy- pleks-Kost
BP- Gomez-gionta
Moen/Boyd- eller- Nagy
Moen/Boyd- lapierre- pyatt
Darche

Nagy is small, but he's very skilled and plays with some grit. A bigger guy with similar skills would of course be preferable, but good luck finding one at the $ that Nagy would likely accept.
The motivation of proving himself, and earning a bigger pay day, is an added bonus.

I just don't want to see Eller stuck playing with guys who can't support him offensively... Boyd may be ok, but an experienced skill guy like Nagy would better.

Thoughts?

Old
07-25-2010, 10:41 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Once we sign price, I'd like to see the team take a flyer on a "reclamation" project type player with offensive skill to play with eller on The third line.

L.Nagy would be a decent target... Might be had ~/>1million.

Cammy- pleks-Kost
BP- Gomez-gionta
Moen/Boyd- eller- Nagy
Moen/Boyd- lapierre- pyatt
Darche

Nagy is small, but he's very skilled and plays with some grit. A bigger guy with similar skills would of course be preferable, but good luck finding one at the $ that Nagy would likely accept.
The motivation of proving himself, and earning a bigger pay day, is an added bonus.

I just don't want to see Eller stuck playing with guys who can't support him offensively... Boyd may be ok, but an experienced skill guy like Nagy would better.

Thoughts?
Very bad idea IMO. With the youth coming, the last thing you need is someone who has underachived for the most part in his career. Let the yougn guns fight for those spot.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:47 AM
SpreeEndaz

AK46 - Plekanec - Cammalleri
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Moen/Pacioretty - Eller - Lapierre
Pyatt - Boyd - Desharnais (this line would be so damn fast they'd fly by 3rd pairing d-men)

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Count of DannyKristo

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Moen-Eller-Lapierre
Pyatt-Boyd-Darche

Markov-Spacek
Gill-Gorges
Hamrlik-Subban
O'Byrne

Count of DannyKristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
There so many line combos here it's insane.

What we are morelikely to see come opener:

LW/C/RW

Cammy-Plekanec-Kostitsyn...........I would like to see Kostitsyn with Gomez
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta.........I would have Andrei in Poo's spot
Moen-Eller-Lapierre.........I think Lapierre days has a center are done
Pyatt-Boyd-White....it's the 4th line

Subban-Markov......could be Spacek while Markov gets better
Carle/Spacek-Hamrlik.
Gorges-Gill
O'Byrne
I would hate to see Eller playing with Moen and Laps.

Old
07-25-2010, 12:20 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn ---->Offensive line
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta ----> Offensive Line
Moen-Eller-Boyd -------> 3rd line that can do extremely well offensively and defensivly
Lapierre-Pyatt-Darche -----> Smart,Energetic,Checking line.

Markov-Subban
Gill-Gorges
Spacek-Hamrlik

Price
Auld

LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Very bad idea IMO. With the youth coming, the last thing you need is someone who has underachived for the most part in his career. Let the yougn guns fight for those spot.
?

a 7th round pick that goes on to play over 400 games and averaged .71ppg (or 58pts/82 games), and tops 20 goals in 3 of his 6 NHL seasons, is far from an underachiever.

in phx, he had back to back ppg seasons (both of which were shortened by injury, but nonetheles, 52pts in 55 games and 56pts in 51 games is still impressive).

and what "youth" is coming THIS YEAR that would have any chance at topping the .70ppg he averaged in his last NHL season?

i don't think any of Desharnais? Palushaj? Avtsin? Maxwell? has much of a shot at producing anywhere near that clip, at least not this season.

A player "like" Nagy would be a perfect fit in the sense that he'd be on a one year deal (allowing us to go with one of those young guys next year, if they're ready), he's gifted offensively thus giving someone for Eller to play with (instead of forcing our new young talent to have to carry a line offensively in his rookie year), and he's likely available at a cap hit we could easily manage and wouldn't hurt us should he not pan out at all.