HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Spaling vs. Smithson

Old
07-18-2010, 09:55 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I doubt any team would take Smithson; maybe a slight possibility.

We are loaded with fringe & unproven NHLers on one-way contracts: Smithson, Sulzer, O'Reily, Andersson, Kosysiten, Klein, Franson. That's atleat 5 million committed to the unproven and fringe.

For that reason, Smithson gets the heavy advantage over Spaling. This team can't afford to send it's profit to the minors.
Do you think this is Smithson's last season in Nashville then??

Also,

Sulzer is on a one way deal this season???

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Do you think this is Smithson's last season in Nashville then??

Also,

Sulzer is on a one way deal this season???
Yes, he is a UFA at season's end and will be replaced from within...

And yes, Sulzer is on a one-way contract again this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 11:10 PM
lightning_legwand*

Any chance we could possibly package Sulzer with someone at trade deadline?? Maybe even with Smithson is Spaling is playing like he did last year!

Old
07-19-2010, 06:56 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Any chance we could possibly package Sulzer with someone at trade deadline?? Maybe even with Smithson is Spaling is playing like he did last year!
Sure. No doubt we could get maybe a sixth round pick for the two.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 07:16 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
In the salary cap word Jerred Smithson is a valuable commodity. he is a proven NHL caliber player with a salary near league minimum.

If we decided to move Smithson I think there would be several takers.

Sulzer is a whole 'nother matter... he is on a 1 way deal and has yet to prove he can play at the NHL level...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
In the salary cap word Jerred Smithson is a valuable commodity. he is a proven NHL caliber player with a salary near league minimum.

If we decided to move Smithson I think there would be several takers.

Sulzer is a whole 'nother matter... he is on a 1 way deal and has yet to prove he can play at the NHL level...
Do you think Sulzer will get any let alone a decent amount of ice time on our blueline this season??

He has to be behind Josi (just coming to North America) and Blum.

Old
07-19-2010, 12:22 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Do you think Sulzer will get any let alone a decent amount of ice time on our blueline this season??

He has to be behind Josi (just coming to North America) and Blum.
I wouldnt say hes behind either josi or Blum because neuther of them have played an NHL game.

Sulzer will either be traded or will get a shot at an nhl spot since hes on a one way deal. since they will be paying him the same i suspect he'll be the permascratch #7 rather than getting sent to Milwaukee

Old
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He was on a 1 way deal last season too and was sent to Milwaukee, if he doesn't make the Predators top 6 this year he'll be traded IMHO.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He was on a 1 way deal last season too and was sent to Milwaukee, if he doesn't make the Predators top 6 this year he'll be traded IMHO.
I would definitely hope so. Just doubt he fetches much in return unless we throw him in a package deal.

I think Sulzer has had his chances, with Blum, Josi, Ellis, Roussel, and Laakso coming up in system, I think his days as a predator are numbered.

Speaking over Laakso, hows he doing from that injury?

Old
07-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Byrddog

While Smitty could be replaced the loss of his FO and PK skills will be missed. Sulzer has really not been given a full shot in Nashville, the guy has size and shows skill at times he is 27 coming to the prime of his career, not every defenseman can be a Weber type monster by age 25.

I really like Spaling but 4th line minutes which he will probably face all year does not give the guy the opportunity he needs. This has been the way the team has been managed forever look at forwards that got away and making it now on other teams. It is amazing that Hornqvist survived, without injuries and moving to top lines he would have got caught in the 4th line rotation and would have been lost.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:51 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

my point about Sulzer was that if he couldnt crack the top 6 and couldnt be traded it would make more sense to keep him here as the 7th dman than sending him to milwaukee and having to pay someone else to be the #7

Old
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
While Smitty could be replaced the loss of his FO and PK skills will be missed. Sulzer has really not been given a full shot in Nashville, the guy has size and shows skill at times he is 27 coming to the prime of his career, not every defenseman can be a Weber type monster by age 25.

I really like Spaling but 4th line minutes which he will probably face all year does not give the guy the opportunity he needs. This has been the way the team has been managed forever look at forwards that got away and making it now on other teams. It is amazing that Hornqvist survived, without injuries and moving to top lines he would have got caught in the 4th line rotation and would have been lost.
Peverley is the only one who "got away" and is playing above the role he played here

Fiddler is not giving phoenix anything more than he gave us but hes getting paid more than we could afford

Nichol isnt doing anything more at SJ than he did here

Upshall doesnt really apply because he was traded to get forsberg not just let go

is there some other forward that "got away" that I am missing?

Old
07-19-2010, 03:09 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Radulov

Wait... nevermind

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 03:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Darren Haydar, Mark Mowers, Timofei Shishkanov, Rob Valicevic and Randy Robitaille everyone thought would come back to haunt us one day, didn't happen. Of all the forwards we've seen come and go, only Hartnell and Brunette make me cringe. Peverly's 22 goals do look nice, but he had a whopping 3 goals in the last 20 games. Is he a product of Kovalchuk? I'm not sold on him yet, his goal scoring took a huge hit after Kovalchuk was traded.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:54 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'd like to have a ridiculously skilled forward that we drafted, developed, and inked to a long-term deal, but right now I guess I'll just have to settle for the best d-pairing in the entire league. Oh, and Hornqvist. And Rinne.

Old
07-19-2010, 03:55 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

forgot about Hartnell but he was also a 'firesale" casualty so not exactly like the others

and i agree the jury is still out on peverley... will be interesting to see what he does this year

Old
07-19-2010, 03:58 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I never really hated Hartnell, but he never did enough for me to like him either. The guy had a 60pt season in Philly and a 48pt season with us, but the rest of the time he's putting up 30-45pts. I'd rather have Dumont (and yeah I know that Dumont doesn't count in this conversation, but it's true.)

Old
07-19-2010, 11:07 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'd like to have a ridiculously skilled forward that we drafted, developed, and inked to a long-term deal, but right now I guess I'll just have to settle for the best d-pairing in the entire league. Oh, and Hornqvist. And Rinne.

Not to mention Wilson, Legwand, and Erat!

Will Wilson be #2 centre??

Any chance Lombardi plays with Kostitsyn? Those two would be lightning together! so much speed!

Old
07-20-2010, 05:10 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Not to mention Wilson, Legwand, and Erat!

Will Wilson be #2 centre??

Any chance Lombardi plays with Kostitsyn? Those two would be lightning together! so much speed!
I didn't mention Wilson because he hasn't played a full, healthy season yet. Erat and Leggy probably wouldn't be well-received in the context in which I was talking.

I'd say it's going to be tough to tell which line is which. He could be the "second line center" in a sense, but I'd imagine the first three lines won't see a huge differential in TOI.

There is a good chance they'll play together, but for how long is the question. With Barry Trotz you're sure to see the likes of Smithson playing with Lombardi and SK at some point.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:14 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

This is what worries me about SK. Just like other teams touted our guys as "they'll be better on this team" most of the time, that doesn't happen.

I understand he's talented. I've seen the clips but look at this.

Start at the 48 second mark, do you know who that player is?

Old
07-20-2010, 09:19 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

When I told the posters in Montreal I expected a line of Kostitsyn-Legwand-Ward, I literally could hear every eyebrow go up and the first comment back was "Oh, Legwand will score more then 11 goals."

I want to know how SK will make his LINE better.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:24 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
This is what worries me about SK. Just like other teams touted our guys as "they'll be better on this team" most of the time, that doesn't happen.

I understand he's talented. I've seen the clips but look at this.

Start at the 48 second mark, do you know who that player is?
Not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. Every player has a highlight real, good and bad. Heck, Klein and Hamhuis were all over bad highlights last year. Guys will make plays good and bad. It's when they're not making those sorts of plays is what I'm interested in, the consistency and details part of the game. We won't see those in highlights.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:47 AM
hatedandproud

Wow...that Shishkanov guy looks good...wonder if we could get him to play on the Preds....

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. Every player has a highlight real, good and bad. Heck, Klein and Hamhuis were all over bad highlights last year. Guys will make plays good and bad. It's when they're not making those sorts of plays is what I'm interested in, the consistency and details part of the game. We won't see those in highlights.
That's my point. Everyone looks like a player on youtube...

Old
07-20-2010, 01:41 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I didn't mention Wilson because he hasn't played a full, healthy season yet. Erat and Leggy probably wouldn't be well-received in the context in which I was talking.

I'd say it's going to be tough to tell which line is which. He could be the "second line center" in a sense, but I'd imagine the first three lines won't see a huge differential in TOI.

There is a good chance they'll play together, but for how long is the question. With Barry Trotz you're sure to see the likes of Smithson playing with Lombardi and SK at some point.
I sure as hell hope that does not happen! I wouldn't mind seeing O'Reilly with them though. Smithson has shown as much upside as he can, DO NOT put him with scoring forwards, its a huge waste!