HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Experienced beer leaguers, please weigh in...

Old
07-20-2010, 01:04 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

vCash: 500
Experienced beer leaguers, please weigh in...

Okay, so we finished the season tonight at 1-5, and since everyone makes the playoffs, have that to look forward to. This last game was close all the way, but a number of things occurred that given my lack of experience, I could use some insights from those playing longer.

Keep in mind this is a 4-on-4 non-checking summer beer league with beginners mixed in with d1 as there wasn't enough players to split into divisions. Further, my team was the one team mostly made up of beginners where the other 3 teams in the league were all friends playing together; mostly much better, more experienced players.

Here are the situations I could use some help on:

1) I was in my defensive zone in the right corner (my team's goalie was to my left) and I sent the puck back along the boards behind our goalie into the other corner, so the play was on the other side of the rink. After I sent the puck along the back boards, a player on the other team came at me and with both hands just shoved me over backwards. After getting up I asked the ref if he saw it and he said "yes", but said it was "just hockey." Should that have been called a penalty?

2) The other team was playing very physical - cross-checked our team's one girl player twice, and was hooting and hollering often after scoring, especially after one of their better players dangled through like 3 of us beginners on a breakaway. I finally got very frustrated at their nonsense, and starting pushing people back, especially around the net. So the same player who shoved my took a punch at my face - but since i wear a cage, it just bounced off.

The ref was basically useless, having called one penalty all game - against us at the end, of course - and I nearly came to blows with this other player. Mind you, I'm the second or third worst player on our team, so if i got booted it would not have really mattered, but i was very close to dropping my gloves and literally beating this other player to death.

I've played organized sports decades ago, and know not to lose my head during a game, but between the chirping after a goal, physical play - esp against our girl teammate - and their taking of liberties pushing and shoving my teammates - without the ref calling anything, i just lost it and warned the other team and that one player there will be a fight if the BS continues.

The rest of my team being noobs like me - save for 2 players, who are finesse players anyway - so there is no one out there to protect us. The other 2 teams in the league get this, and have the class and sense not to play like dicks, sometimes even backing off when they see us newer players carrying the puck up ice and just waiting for us to flub the puck on our own.

Was I out of line, or is that kind of physical play acceptable in a beer league? Because if it is, then the open hockey sessions and adult beginner clinics I've been in over the past 3 months have not even come close to the physical play and BS that goes on during the game. Since the other 2 teams didn't play like that, I felt this was an anomaly...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:07 AM
PuckHogs29

You were playing against a bunch of **********.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:24 AM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
You weren't out of line. If they push, push back. I wouldn't escalate things by starting a fight though. If it ever happens again, I would suggest you have a nice chat with the ref(s). Don't raise your voice, don't swear, just ask 'em to keep an eye on so-and-so.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Leroux 66

you were definitely playing **********, i sub sometimes for a beer league that my dad plays in with some of his friends, a few of which are former ahlers, with a couple playing a little in the nhl and they play non check, literally nothing happens, people apologize if they run into someone and knock them down lol

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:05 AM
SpringfieldSkins

Sounds like the typical ********* running the D league for a couple of years now. They think they are hot **** when they really should be in the C league. Bunch of *******s. Don't t let them ruin your fun. Don't pay attention now but come alive in a few seasons or so and take it out on their pansy *****.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:49 AM
ean

Beer league wouldn't be beer league if it didn't have all of those things that you mention. Just try not to care too much, because you shouldn't.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Pierre Gotye

You will play against some teams who will play like they are playing for some sort of contract.

The ref's in these leagues can be real hit and miss, most of them have little experience. Some, unfortunately let things get out of control.

When a team starts being **********, all you can do is to play them back just as hard.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:52 AM
izzy3

there always be games like this, but remember non-checking is not no contact. ok they shouldn't push a girl around, but there are dorks who will.

i suggest take this as a motivation to improve your game, and beat them next time. let's see how they chirp after that...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:08 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

I appreciate all of the comments; I am so new to hockey that it is still not always clear what is going on out there on the ice alot of the time, as in what's a penalty, when to change shifts, what is acceptable behavior, etc.

One of my teammates (one of the only 2 or 3 players on the team with any real experience) said to me in the lockerroom afterwards that he saw the push, but didn't feel as strongly about it?!?!?

WTH, a 2-handed shove away from the puck? Then the idiot threw a punch...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the veterans supposed to stand up for the newbies out there? Wht the heck am I, all of 3 months' hockey experience doing out there policing the other team? And even better, the person running the league is on my team, you'd have thought the other team would have had more sense to to pull this against his team

I should add that there was a major problem in the game right before ours where a player was tossed and he was screaming at the ref and wanted to kill the guy. I didn't see what happened but heard the yelling from the lockerroom as i was getting ready. Had this ref had half a brain, a lot of this could have been avoided. He was not a kid, probably around 36, but had no business being out there.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:16 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
You weren't out of line. If they push, push back. I wouldn't escalate things by starting a fight though. If it ever happens again, I would suggest you have a nice chat with the ref(s). Don't raise your voice, don't swear, just ask 'em to keep an eye on so-and-so.
This was a big issue, this idiot saw what was going on - and was STILL not making calls. The other ref didn't look like he'd ever called a game before either, as he just kept asking his partner what to do on almost every play. I realize these guys are not going to be the second coming of Don Koharski, but jeeez, there HAS to be better choices for refs...

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 07-20-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old
07-20-2010, 08:22 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
This was a big issue, this idiot saw what was going on - and was STILL not making calls. The other ref didn't look like he'd ever called a game before either, as he just kept asking his partner what to do on almost every play. I realize these guys are going to be the second coming of Don Koharski, but jeeez, there HAS to be better choices for refs...
learn how to slewfoot. no amateur ref ever sees it.
another good one is using the puck against some of these "goons". when they come to take it...flip it up at their head.
i am NOT kidding.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:21 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
another good one is using the puck against some of these "goons". when they come to take it...flip it up at their head.
i am NOT kidding.
Slew footing is bad. Yes, he did seem to become a bit of a target, but nothing that happened to him would seem to cause serious injury. Slew footing can seriously injury and he may end up getting suspended if it's seen. 'Intent to injure.'

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:27 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
Slew footing is bad. Yes, he did seem to become a bit of a target, but nothing that happened to him would seem to cause serious injury. Slew footing can seriously injury and he may end up getting suspended if it's seen. 'Intent to injure.'

sigh.
there is nothing like hearing a guys air leave his lungs all at once when he hits the ice flat on his back.especially if he was trying to hurt others. nothing like seeing a bully get knocked down a notch.yeah he'll lose some wind. but he'll get up and be fine.
not saying that i still do it. but the few times i did...it worked.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:34 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
sigh.
there is nothing like hearing a guys air leave his lungs all at once when he hits the ice flat on his back.especially if he was trying to hurt others. nothing like seeing a bully get knocked down a notch.yeah he'll lose some wind. but he'll get up and be fine.
not saying that i still do it. but the few times i did...it worked.
Hey, I've been thrown out of my fair share of Beer League games due to D-bags, but slewfooting takes it to an entirely different level. I'm all for knocking bullies down, though I've had to deal with it more from a teammate perspective than myself. (6'5 235 helps.) Just something wrong about slew footing since you can really take out someone's legs.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
Hey, I've been thrown out of my fair share of Beer League games due to D-bags, but slewfooting takes it to an entirely different level. I'm all for knocking bullies down, though I've had to deal with it more from a teammate perspective than myself. (6'5 235 helps.) Just something wrong about slew footing since you can really take out someone's legs.
slew footing is when the guy is STANDING STILL. almost never hurts a guys leg. but it does teach lessons. and im 5'11.
i would never goe for a knee or leg , or hit from behind when a guys is moving. yes i agree with you that would be over the top.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Ricky Bobby

This sounds like some typical beer league bs.

There is always going to be that one team of complete ****** bags who are trying to do there best Darcy Tucker/Claude Lemieux impressions every game.

The reffing sounds like it was brutal but remember that you are at the bottom of the league so you'll also get the bottom level refs.

If games get like that next time (cause there will be a few) just remember to not leave yourself in extremely vulnerable positions (i.e. two feet out from the boards) and if a guy on there team takes a nasty whack at your goalie it is open season to kick the crap out of that player.

If you are completely unwilling to want to deal with the odd bs game you might want to look into playing pick up hockey instead of league hockey.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep there are going to be teams with guys who think they need to mix it up and play dirty. I don't know why. It's a non-checking rec league, so why hack and slash and fight?

And most of the time the refs and league officials don't really care, so long as they get paid. So that's frustrating.

Best thing I would say is if there is another local league, have your team write the league officials and say you won't be playing next year because of the poor officiating and lack of oversight.

As for what you did, I personally wouldn't be shoving a guy if I'm wearing a cage, but then again I'm not that kind of player, and the worst I ever did was level a guy open ice shoulder-to-shoulder because he slew footed me earlier in the shift.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
If games get like that next time (cause there will be a few) just remember to not leave yourself in extremely vulnerable positions (i.e. two feet out from the boards) and if a guy on there team takes a nasty whack at your goalie it is open season to kick the crap out of that player.
Hah, funny you said that as the one thing the other ref, who seemed to have started doing games like an hour before my game's start time, had to keep warning the other team to stop whacking the goalie's glove after he stops the puck. This happened like 4-5 times...

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 07-20-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old
07-20-2010, 11:04 AM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroux 66 View Post
you were definitely playing **********, i sub sometimes for a beer league that my dad plays in with some of his friends, a few of which are former ahlers, with a couple playing a little in the nhl and they play non check, literally nothing happens, people apologize if they run into someone and knock them down lol
At one of the rinks I played at one of the teams was really stacked, high level college players and a couple guys that played in the minors. The league only had 2 divisions so the schedule was unbalanced and the B division would have to play the A division sometimes. They were the nicest guys though. We'd lose like 10-3 but you couldn't get mad because they didn't beat you by embarrassing you and hot dogging it. They just moved the puck so well and were always in the right place, and they weren't dicks about it. You pretty much learned from losing to them. The guys I can't stand are the ones that play at a lower level and then act like they're great because they stick handled through 3 guys who never even played in high school.

That's one of the reason I stopped playing house league and switched to HNA.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Devil Dancer

It might sound like a ***** move, but you can always call your commissioner and ask him/her to watch your game, or the game of the offending team. Personally I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I'm a professional adult, and I'm not paying $20/game to put up with a bunch of dangerous bull****.

It's even worse for you because you are a beginner, and are probably less able to stand up for yourself on the ice, only because of your skill and experience level.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 11:26 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
The guys I can't stand are the ones that play at a lower level and then act like they're great because they stick handled through 3 guys who never even played in high school.
This is how they scored 4 of their 6 goals IIRC, breakaways skating through 3 of us beginners, who cannot turn fast or well... then they'd whoop it up - that was really awful

The 6 noobs on the team have a combined 24 months or so of experience, with me having started in March.

I am starting to see how open hockey, without the BS, pressure and such, being perhaps a more attractive option.

Maybe I should have waited another year before joining the league and taking more clinics/classes.

When I asked one of my adult beginner clinic coaches, who also happens to be the manager of the hockey league, if he thought i was up to the task, he was unsure if I was ready to join it. He might have been right, and being a super nice guy, didn't want to dissuade me...

Old
07-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
This makes absolutely no sense at all.

If you do this, the other team is still going to be a bunch of ********, except that now you're an *******, too.

Don't take it to their level.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:29 PM
HartsyMania
What, me worry?

I'll tell you what, i've played a few teams like this, and they're just trying to get into your head. You can't let it get to you, because your reaction is exactly what they're looking for.

Until recently, I've always gotten as angry as you have when this would happen to me, but it did nothing to help my team but draw penalties because I'm retaliating.

Example: My team is in similar shoes to yours, but we have a few experienced guys. I'm not one of them. The first round of the playoffs, this kid was dangling the hell out of us, and there was little we could do about it all game, all while they were trash talking us and being cocky, putting less than legal hits on us, essentially just what you said happened to you. Eventually, I just took the body on him (It wasn't a check, it was a slight nudge off of the puck) and he got PISSED and started shoving me, and I retaliated. We both got sent to the box, and for what? A few shoves? Totally not worth it.

After the game, a more experienced player (Actually a ref that game) gave me the same advice I want to give you, is just to brush it off and keep playing.

The next game, he tried to start it again, shoving me behind the play. I remembered what I was told, and in a totally calm matter just said "You're a very angry person, aren't you?" and he was like "Go ahead, keep being cocky!" and I litterally just laughed at him, said "Oh, you" and skated away.

No penalty, and I still got my point across by being a little smarter, and less alphamale. He looked like a jackass, and I was able to stay out of the box.

Edit: And no, don't slewfoot in a beer league... Lol

HartsyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I spent over $3000 in medical bills and three months of physical therapy from my slew foot last year. Please don't do that.

Edit: They had to do tests to rule out concussion and inner ear disease. Spending an hour in an MRI machine is not fun when you're claustrophobic, neither is spinning around in a chair in a pitch black chamber for an hour getting made dizzy on purpose.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:03 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

On a side note about this slewfoot thing (which I looked up on youtube to see what it was), I fell backwards last night from the 2-handed shove, which I guess would be the same effect as if I was "slew-footed", and while my hip is a little sore, my head was fine.

I've fallen backwards a number of times hitting the back of my head on the ice, and have had no ill effects so far (for instance, I'm not worried my short term memory is ok - what was this thread about ) and not to sound like a salesman, but my bauer 9500 helmet is just amazing in that respect. I haven't fallen wearing any other brand in a game, so i cannot directly compare but it seems very durable and highly recommend it. Plus its on closeout.