HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gagne is gone. What is our next move?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
  #26
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...trade/45/29412
By Bill Meltzer

As far as Matt Walker goes, he earns a lot of money for a player who currently projects to be the club's seventh defenseman. There are too many seasons left on his contract to justify waiving him, so I once again suspect that the Flyers will try to move another defenseman -- with Matt Carle being the most obvious candidate by process of elimination -- move Andrej Meszaros up to play with Chris Pronger and have Walker and Sean O'Donnell provide an experienced, defensive minded third pairing with enough cap money left over to sign either Marty Turco or Jose Theodore. Note that this scenario is strictly my own speculation at this point. I fully understand the need for blueline depth, but you can't have seven D-men earning seven-figure contracts, can you?
It makes too much sense..

Homer wouldn't do it.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:58 AM
  #27
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Nodl also works good on the boards and can work the cycle..
Nodl was a very nice surpise last year. After his small cup of tea 2 years ago, I kind of soured on him. He showed me nothing. But...all of a sudden, this year in the playoffs, he just started hitting people; and hitting them good.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:05 AM
  #28
Jimmy Villa
Registered User
 
Jimmy Villa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bristol
Country: England
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I wonder if Nodl's emergence in the playoffs last year has made Powe redundant. Although I prefer Powe, Nodl was a very nice surprise and played more physical and with more defensive awareness than I ever expected to see.
This is a possiblity, for sure.

However, it is so difficult to try to understand what Holmgren will do, because there is always the Holmgren move.......then the logical move.......and they are very different.

From what I've read, the two trades with Tampa this off season are being seen as pretty much the worst pieces of business by any GM in NHL history, considering all the mitigating factors.

(Like this being a salary dump move, and we've actually taken back MORE salary AND lost a 2nd )

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:12 AM
  #29
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
This is a possiblity, for sure.

However, it is so difficult to try to understand what Holmgren will do, because there is always the Holmgren move.......then the logical move.......and they are very different.

From what I've read, the two trades with Tampa this off season are being seen as pretty much the worst pieces of business by any GM in NHL history, considering all the mitigating factors.

(Like this being a salary dump move, and we've actually taken back MORE salary AND lost a 2nd )
But it's okay, we have Shelley to save the day.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:25 AM
  #30
facts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I wonder if Nodl's emergence in the playoffs last year has made Powe redundant. Although I prefer Powe, Nodl was a very nice surprise and played more physical and with more defensive awareness than I ever expected to see.
with all due respect, What? Nodl is garbage, he was a turn over machine in the playoffs.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
  #31
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
It makes too much sense..

Homer wouldn't do it.
I checked, two other teams have 7 d-men with seven figure contracts: Toronto and Vancouver. Everyone knows Kaberle is going to be moved, and Vancouver wants to move Bieksa I keep hearing.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:28 AM
  #32
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...trade/45/29412
By Bill Meltzer

As far as Matt Walker goes, he earns a lot of money for a player who currently projects to be the club's seventh defenseman. There are too many seasons left on his contract to justify waiving him, so I once again suspect that the Flyers will try to move another defenseman -- with Matt Carle being the most obvious candidate by process of elimination -- move Andrej Meszaros up to play with Chris Pronger and have Walker and Sean O'Donnell provide an experienced, defensive minded third pairing with enough cap money left over to sign either Marty Turco or Jose Theodore. Note that this scenario is strictly my own speculation at this point. I fully understand the need for blueline depth, but you can't have seven D-men earning seven-figure contracts, can you?
I love when Bill is clearly enraged but he is just so damn polite that it barely bleeds through.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
  #33
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,365
vCash: 500
Bring back Lars Jonsson.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:32 AM
  #34
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I love when Bill is clearly enraged but he is just so damn polite that it barely bleeds through.
I do too, except that his disgust comes through loud and clear when you compare it to other pieces he's written. He's also able to say what he thinks without asterisks. That's a feat I've yet to accomplish.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:36 AM
  #35
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Flyers should move Carle like Meltzer says. Either that or they need to banish Walker to the AHL. I predict that Walker will be the next Gauthier or even worse...Eminger (AKA suitcase).

Frankly no matter what people say I believe sometime during the season Carter will have to be moved as well especially if he does his 5 game appearing and 10 game disappearing acts on a consistent basis during the year again. Even if he sticks around all season b/c of Holmgren's stubborn deathgrip on the guy..he'll have to trade him in the offseason next year. There are going to be too many salaries up for negotiation and tying up 6-7M in Carter will not be prudent especially if he has another streaky season. This is not to say that I "hate" Carter..just from a business standpoint he is one of few assets with the most leverage. Even if Briere would be more ideal to move if he agreed to leave..he wouldn't command and net as much as Carter. Now if Carter has a long term injury this year....umm yeah the Flyers are screwed!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
  #36
Jimmy Villa
Registered User
 
Jimmy Villa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bristol
Country: England
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
But it's okay, we have Shelley to save the day.





I actually don't MIND Shelley to be honest. Hard worker, and now our toughest fighter, but for the length of contract, and cap hit........Wow

Even Shelley must've LOL'd when he heard the offer.
Apparently Matt Walker is suffering from 3rd degree burns because he spat his coffee all over himself when he heard he was going to Flyers for Gagne

Why has no one twigged yet that Holmgren has no idea how to handle contracts? Like at all?

How are the guys upstairs allowing him to get away with these things?!
It's like he keeps pushing to see if they will step in and put him out of his misery!!!

Each deal is more ridiculous than the one that went before it.

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
  #37
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Bring back Lars Jonsson.
Dave Babych.....or how about another go round with Steve Eminger!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:38 AM
  #38
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Flyers should move Carle like Meltzer says. Either that or they need to banish Walker to the AHL. I predict that Walker will be the next Gauthier or even worse...Eminger (AKA suitcase).

Frankly no matter what people say I believe sometime during the season Carter will have to be moved as well especially if he does his 5 game appearing and 10 game disappearing acts on a consistent basis during the year again. Even if he sticks around all season b/c of Holmgren's stubborn deathgrip on the guy..he'll have to trade him in the offseason next year. There are going to be too many salaries up for negotiation and tying up 6-7M in Carter will not be prudent especially if he has another streaky season. This is not to say that I "hate" Carter..just from a business standpoint he is one of few assets with the most leverage. Even if Briere would be more ideal to move if he agreed to leave..he wouldn't command and net as much as Carter. Now if Carter has a long term injury this year....umm yeah the Flyers are screwed!
I completely agree on Carter. I thought the main reason Gagne was safe is because Carter would get moved. I mean he's a C that would command far more in return with no NTC. Seemed pretty sensible.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:39 AM
  #39
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Why has no one twigged yet that Holmgren has no idea how to handle contracts?
Speak English.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
  #40
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I love when Bill is clearly enraged but he is just so damn polite that it barely bleeds through.
O yes, he is always on point and always polite. I wish I had his writing skill. Not going to happen in my case. Ever.

I've asked the same question yesterday. How can you have 4-5M d-mens on 3rd paring and over 2M (Bart & Walker) are not even on the ice. What GM does that?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
  #41
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Speak English.
Val, you're such an ass!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:44 AM
  #42
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
I really can't see Walker being waived. None of us are happy about the move yesterday but he is a small step up from both Bart and O'Donnell.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:45 AM
  #43
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I've asked the same question yesterday. How can you have 4-5M d-mens on 3rd paring and over 2M (Bart & Walker) are not even on the ice. What GM does that?

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:47 AM
  #44
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I got my ass kicked by Yzerman, "What can you do?" look.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:48 AM
  #45
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
According to a Twitter post but not confirmed yet: Syvret signed with the Ducks. Not really a part of this thread but also not worthy of it's own.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:51 AM
  #46
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
According to a Twitter post but not confirmed yet: Syvret signed with the Ducks. Not really a part of this thread but also not worthy of it's own.
Good for Syvy - I've liked the kid for years. I'm not sorry he's not a Flyer anymore, but I'm glad someone else is giving him a shot. He'll always have the memory of his first NHL goal - as a Flyer, at the Winter Classic. Good luck Danny.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:51 AM
  #47
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
The only thing I can think of with stacking the D so much is that Holmgren is worried about a long term injury to one of our main D men and thus being bounced out of playoff contention especially with a suspect goalie. While I have the same concerns he could have done it cheaper and he could have covered himself by getting a proven commodity in net. Instead we have at least 2 of our 3 goalies (not sure what Backlund can do) that can't carry a game by themselves like a Halak or a Lundqvist can for long stretches.

I still can't get over this lost opportunity back in Dec....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=302443

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:51 AM
  #48
Jimmy Villa
Registered User
 
Jimmy Villa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bristol
Country: England
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Speak English.



TWIGGED - To figure out something, to realise

USED IN A SENTANCE

Why has no one twigged that Homer is sabotaging the Flyers?



Although, I suspect you simply forgot to add the

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:53 AM
  #49
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post


TWIGGED - To figure out something, to realise

USED IN A SENTANCE

Why has no one twigged that Homer is sabotaging the Flyers?



Although, I suspect you simply forgot to add the
As time goes on, you'll learn that 95% of what Val posts is dripping in sarcasm. He's one of my favourites, and one of the funniest posters we have.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:59 AM
  #50
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post


TWIGGED - To figure out something, to realise

USED IN A SENTANCE

Why has no one twigged that Homer is sabotaging the Flyers?



Although, I suspect you simply forgot to add the
The joke is that you are from England...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.