HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2010-2011 Florida Panthers Prospect Poll #6

View Poll Results: Who is the Panthers #6 Ranked Prospect?
Michal Repik - RW [2007 - 40th Overall] 20 43.48%
Quinton Howden - LW [2010 - 25th Overall] 9 19.57%
Jason Garrison - D [FA] 0 0%
Keaton Ellerby - D [2007 - 10th Overall] 3 6.52%
Kenndal McArdle - LW [2005 - 20th Overall] 0 0%
John McFarland - C [2010 - 33rd Overall] 8 17.39%
Alexander Petrovic - D [2010 - 36th Overall] 2 4.35%
Drew Shore - C [2009 - 44th Overall] 1 2.17%
Alexander Salak - G [FA] 2 4.35%
Evgeni Dadonov - RW [2007 - 71st Overall] 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
when talking markstrom its not strange he slipped... can you give me the name of the last european goalie taken in the first round? teams dont want to gamble with their 1st rounders on those picks, because chance is they dont adapt to NA smaller rinks etc...

well if he is that good why didnt colorado pick him over hishon? etem? you might be right about him, but im just cautious. dont wanna get my hopes up until i see it
Actually I can give you 2 goalies picked in the same draft recently that were European first rounders...Riku Helenius was #15 and Varlarmov was #23 in the 2006 draft (just 2 yrs before Markstrom). Tuuka Rask was also selected in the 1st round of the 2005 draft at #21 overall. Teams are very willing to take a gamble with 1st rounders on Euro goalies, especially since the change in rules after the lockout and they can have quick success too as proven by all 3 guys there.

I dont blame you for being cautious but then why rank Howden or any of the picks from this yr as higher than guys who have proven something in the pro's already? When you're ranking these prospects, you have to take several different aspects into consideration and how much you weight those aspects based on what you're expecting at that rank. At least thats how I'm doing it. For example, I put more weight to potential in the top 5 polls than other aspects. But then the next 5 polls, I think I'm putting more weight towards past performance. With guys like McFarland and Howden, they have proven less than guys like Repik, etc because they just havent played more.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Actually I can give you 2 goalies picked in the same draft recently that were European first rounders...Riku Helenius was #15 and Varlarmov was #23 in the 2006 draft (just 2 yrs before Markstrom). Tuuka Rask was also selected in the 1st round of the 2005 draft at #21 overall. Teams are very willing to take a gamble with 1st rounders on Euro goalies, especially since the change in rules after the lockout and they can have quick success too as proven by all 3 guys there.

I dont blame you for being cautious but then why rank Howden or any of the picks from this yr as higher than guys who have proven something in the pro's already? When you're ranking these prospects, you have to take several different aspects into consideration and how much you weight those aspects based on what you're expecting at that rank. At least thats how I'm doing it. For example, I put more weight to potential in the top 5 polls than other aspects. But then the next 5 polls, I think I'm putting more weight towards past performance. With guys like McFarland and Howden, they have proven less than guys like Repik, etc because they just havent played more.
I will probably butcher the spelling, but what about Marek Schwarez? I remember thinking he was going to turn out great, but he really hasn't. Just throwing his name out for your debate.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 05:21 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
lol i just quoted whatever the most recent one was since i think you agreed with me as far as thinking it was dumb with people voting for mcfarland at this point over repik or others.

my b
Hey easy there pal, I'm entitled to have the opinion that McFarland has more potential value to this team than Repik. At least I know he won't get pushed off the puck as easily.

Last edited by JP Mick: 07-19-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: poor spelling
JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Oooo...he got you there, Rich
Well if he's going to serve up a fat pitch, I might as well "go yard." Like anyone else I'd expect to do to me if (erm .. when) I serve one up ..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I will probably butcher the spelling, but what about Marek Schwarez? I remember thinking he was going to turn out great, but he really hasn't. Just throwing his name out for your debate.
I thought of him too and would've brought him up but first that was before the lockout and rule changes, which have affected goalies too, and second because what goalies drafted in the first 7 rounds that yr turned out to even be starters? Answer: none. The only starter that was drafted in 2004 was Pekka Rinne and he was drafted in the 8th round as a slight overager (I believe he was 22 when drafted). And when Schwarz was drafted, I was worried that his size would still be a detriment and not let him become a franchise goalie. Regardless, 2 other goalies were drafted before Schwarz and both have not really turned out to be anything but AHL players thus far so that was just a poor goalie draft IMO.

Old
07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Well if he's going to serve up a fat pitch, I might as well "go yard." Like anyone else I'd expect to do to me if (erm .. when) I serve one up ..
Well of course...and I'm technically not from Hungary (just of Hungarian decent)

Old
07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
i guess thats true, but by how much we dont know. and its entirely possible that they liked howden more because of subjective factors like interviews or perceived personality issues. now that theyre both in the organization, who knows how that has changed. and really they couldve both been ranked right next to each other with howden getting the nod because mcfarland seems more boom bust then howden does. any which way, i dont think its fair to say howden is clearly better than mcfarland.

finally, this aint the organizations rankings, it is ours, so tough luck to them if we rank them differently than they would.
All those things go into being a prospect. I can't see how Florida would have any new information on these guys until they hit the ice for camp. It could be very close though.

People can rank them however they want. IMO how players are ranked a month ago should hold more importance than their preseason rankings as we have more information now than we did a year ago.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
A month after their draft Pickard was ranked higher than Markstrom. Teams rank guys differently, but in this case, McFarland and Howden were drafted by the same team, so clearly the Panthers rank Howden ahead of McFarland at this point in time.
Not necessarily. Lets just say they liked both at that #26 spot (quite plausible). So they figured that Howden wouldnt slip to #33 and took him at #26, while hoping that McFarland slipped to #33 (also plausible). That doesnt mean they dont value McFarland now more than before the draft. They just made a choice to get the player they knew wouldnt slip over the player that might slip due to whatever reasoning. I'm not saying that Howden should or shouldnt be ranked higher than McFarland either. Just saying that using their draft position shouldnt really be a reason to rank them higher/lower than one another.

And yes, a month after the draft most rankings dont change from where they were selected. But I dont think thats the point of a prospect poll anyway...we're ranking the prospects according to our own preferences/gut instincts/whatever and not the org. If we waited to do these polls for 3 months, of course there would be different results too.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:26 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

repik is the clear winner, can we move on to the next poll?

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote