HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would you sign Frolov???

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
  #26
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,702
vCash: 500
Pass, he can go to the KHL.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
  #27
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Why don't we offer him a 30 year contract and his cap hit be somewhere in the venue of 2 million?

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 04:46 PM
  #28
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why don't we offer him a 30 year contract and his cap hit be somewhere in the venue of 2 million?
Sounds like a plan to me.

Andy is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 04:58 PM
  #29
Macs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Flyers will sign Frolov and then dump Richards

Macs is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 05:23 PM
  #30
Crusher20
Registered User
 
Crusher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I would dance naked in my room with a broom if gauthier picks him up... But i know he wont happen he said himself he is done on the market why people still come up with these threads, give it a rest... I would love it but gauthier as other plans...

Crusher20 is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 05:56 PM
  #31
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
They are the same player
so in essence you're changing four quarters for a dollar.
Except one actually costs more than the other without a discernible gain

AntonCH is offline  
Old
07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
  #32
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
I'd love if we could give him a 17 years frontloaded contract, like it has been suggested on this thread, ala Kovalchuk, cheat with the cba and get him at a good cap space. He's just what the doctor is ordered for Pleks and Cammy : a playmaker who can win battles along the boards. I don't get why people say that Frolov and Kostsitsyn are similar : Andrei is a sniper ! Just put Kostsitsyn with Gomez and Gionta, they need a sniper anyway, and put Pouliot with Eller, and you got yourself quality depth.

FF de Mars is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 09:52 AM
  #33
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 6,983
vCash: 500
if cammy said, he is worth it, then do it

otherwise let it go

sampollock is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
  #34
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
The attraction is the success he had with Cammalleri and that could be worth it. Considering the different UFA signings, I'd now be surprised Frolov would ask for less than $5M. I suddenly find him a little expensive. And at that price with Carey left to be signed, I don't think we can make that move.




Some like to talk about Frolov, others like to talk about Malone or Hartnell. In both cases, you have to make room on the salary cap.
Cammalleri doesn't need Frolov to have success. I'm not sure Frolov is worth the contract he will end up with(5-5.5 mil for 4-5 years).

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:03 AM
  #35
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
We just turned down Gagne because we had no money, and he's in the neighborhood of Frolov.

So no.

Lucius is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
  #36
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
We just turned down Gagne because we had no money, and he's in the neighborhood of Frolov.

So no.
If the team were committed to do so, they could make it happen. Other teams do.

gusfring is online now  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
  #37
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,545
vCash: 500
Why didn't we dump AK for Gagne?

Or Hammer for Gagne?


Cammy Gionta Gomez
Gagne Plek AK
Pouliot Eller Pyatt
Moen White Laps

la25ecoupe is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:10 AM
  #38
saints96
Registered User
 
saints96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Why didn't we dump AK for Gagne?

Or Hammer for Gagne?


Cammy Gionta Gomez
Gagne Plek AK
Pouliot Eller Pyatt
Moen White Laps
its very to say, ''Dump hammer'' and expect it to be done. How would you propose to have gotten rid of Hammer? And dont say put him on waivers, cuz that is certainly not an option.

saints96 is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:13 AM
  #39
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
its very to say, ''Dump hammer'' and expect it to be done. How would you propose to have gotten rid of Hammer? And dont say put him on waivers, cuz that is certainly not an option.
Why is it not an option?

gusfring is online now  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:19 AM
  #40
skipp18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
We just heard Gagne's agent saying Montreal said no to Gagne for cap reasons. Considering Gagne feetch pretty much nothing, You can forget about Frolov right about now.
It's not really an accurate comparison. Gagne is on the final year of his contract. Do the Habs want to give up assets to acquire a player for one season without guarantee he could be resigned, that's assuming they would want to resign him - he is getting older and is injury prone.
Haven't we seen this scenario before, anyone remember Alex Tanguay.

skipp18 is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
  #41
saints96
Registered User
 
saints96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Why is it not an option?
oh no.. you again, .....the same person who says that Hammer is a waste, a 6th defencemen at best. It is not an option because despite what you think, at his age Hammer is still a good defencemen, slowly running out of gas, but still good nonetheless and is useful to this team right now. When Markov was injured he was our best defencemen and carried our D core and playing serious minutes. Markov is injured at the beginning of this season so expect to see hammer there(unless they find a way to trade him) obviously not playing as many minutes as last year because PK will be with the habs next season.

saints96 is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:29 AM
  #42
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Assuming you were to bring in Frolov, AK is the obvious answer as to who leaves...

AK makes 3.250 mil
Frolov IMHO would cost 5-5.5 mil over 4-5 years

Both guys are coming off subpar years...

AK 33pts in 59 games(0.56 PPGM) 46pts over 82 games prorated
Frolov 51pts over 81 games(0.63 PPGM) 52pts over 82 games.

From PG's standpoint...
1-AK is only signed for 1 year while Frolov would require a 4-5-6 year commitment
2-both guys have a chance to do much better and bounce back...Frolov has 2 30+ goal seasons, AK had a 26 goal season only 2 years ago.
3-AK brings a cap hit that is about 2 mil less
4-depending on the market, may be no takers for AK at that cap hit...or very minimal return not making it worth the swap.
5-Pouliot, Pacioretty, Trotter plus possibly Eller could also develop into top 6 wingers within the timeframe that Frolov would sign for(4-6 years).

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:37 AM
  #43
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Why didn't we dump AK for Gagne?

Or Hammer for Gagne?


Cammy Gionta Gomez
Gagne Plek AK
Pouliot Eller Pyatt
Moen White Laps
First of all, Gagne's cap hit is 2 mil higher and right now we have little wiggle room to the cap. Making room for him is pretty risky given his injuries the last 2-3 years, plus he would have cost assets.

In terms of Hamrik, with Markov's injury, we can't afford to lose him right now. He has a NTC making it hard to move him, then if we did, we'd have to go out and sign somebody to replace him, so another player would have to be moved to make 3-4 mil of room.

If we had plenty of cap room and an opening in the top 6, I'd have no problem gambling on Gagne.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:38 AM
  #44
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
oh no.. you again, .....the same person who says that Hammer is a waste, a 6th defencemen at best. It is not an option because despite what you think, at his age Hammer is still a good defencemen, slowly running out of gas, but still good nonetheless and is useful to this team right now. When Markov was injured he was our best defencemen and carried our D core and playing serious minutes. Markov is injured at the beginning of this season so expect to see hammer there(unless they find a way to trade him) obviously not playing as many minutes as last year because PK will be with the habs next season.
So it is an option, right? Don't say it isn't an option.

Yes, I think Hamrlik is grossly overpaid and his skills have deteriorated - last years playoffs were clear enough. That's my opinion.

gusfring is online now  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:43 AM
  #45
saints96
Registered User
 
saints96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
So it is an option, right? Don't say it isn't an option.

Yes, I think Hamrlik is grossly overpaid and his skills have deteriorated - last years playoffs were clear enough. That's my opinion.
The organization wont dump him, ill bet you anything, so thats not an option. Obviously he is overpaid, thanks for stating the obvious.. but i dont like or dislike a player according to how much he earns, forget that. I can admit he had a couple of bad games in the playoffs, almost everyone did so ya. And also he has a NTC , he will be hard to move. If you have a solution besides dumping cuz mark my words, it will not happen, id like to hear it.

saints96 is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
  #46
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
The organization wont dump him, ill bet you anything, so thats not an option. Obviously he is overpaid, thanks for stating the obvious.. but i dont like or dislike a player according to how much he earns, forget that. I can admit he had a couple of bad games in the playoffs, almost everyone did so ya. And also he has a NTC , he will be hard to move. If you have a solution besides dumping cuz mark my words, it will not happen, id like to hear it.
There is a difference between "won't" and "can't".

It won't happen (I agree with you) because this organization will never eat that salary - it would affect the bottom line too much, even if doing so would improve the team.

gusfring is online now  
Old
07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
  #47
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
If the team were committed to do so, they could make it happen. Other teams do.
Not saying it's impossible, just don't think Frolov is the kind of guy you juggle your roster to get.

If they felt they needed a top 6 forward, I'd rather have Ponikarovsky at a quarter the price.

Lucius is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
  #48
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Not saying it's impossible, just don't think Frolov is the kind of guy you juggle your roster to get.

If they felt they needed a top 6 forward, I'd rather have Ponikarovsky at a quarter the price.
I agree that Frolov may not be the ideal guy, but the point being that this organization could make room if they were committed.

I think the team could survive 2-3 weeks without Markov and then go with the following 6 - and then add a guy to be in our top 6.

Markov-O'Byrne
Gill-Gorges
Spacek-Subban

-pick up a veteran to be the 7th.

gusfring is online now  
Old
07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
  #49
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
If they didn't made a move to get Gagne even though he told 'em he would waive his NTC, I can't see the team sign Frolov. As for Hamrlik, IMO he'd better play less on the 3rd pair this season, this way he'll run out of gas later, and be more useful that way. The team won't dump him, simply because Hammer is a class act, and the Habs too... this is his last year, after that bye bye...

Vasculio is offline  
Old
07-20-2010, 11:20 AM
  #50
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I agree that Frolov may not be the ideal guy, but the point being that this organization could make room if they were committed.

I think the team could survive 2-3 weeks without Markov and then go with the following 6 - and then add a guy to be in our top 6.

Markov-O'Byrne
Gill-Gorges
Spacek-Subban

-pick up a veteran to be the 7th.
It's a favorite parlor game, moving Hamrlik, but the team has shown zero indication they intend to do it.

I'd accept defeat there and make peace with the fact that he's playing out that contract.

Lucius is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.