HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would you sign Frolov???

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Pass, he can go to the KHL.

Old
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Why don't we offer him a 30 year contract and his cap hit be somewhere in the venue of 2 million?

Old
07-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why don't we offer him a 30 year contract and his cap hit be somewhere in the venue of 2 million?
Sounds like a plan to me.

Old
07-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Macs

Flyers will sign Frolov and then dump Richards

Old
07-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I would dance naked in my room with a broom if gauthier picks him up... But i know he wont happen he said himself he is done on the market why people still come up with these threads, give it a rest... I would love it but gauthier as other plans...

Old
07-19-2010, 05:56 PM
AntonCH

They are the same player
so in essence you're changing four quarters for a dollar.
Except one actually costs more than the other without a discernible gain

Old
07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
FF de Mars

I'd love if we could give him a 17 years frontloaded contract, like it has been suggested on this thread, ala Kovalchuk, cheat with the cba and get him at a good cap space. He's just what the doctor is ordered for Pleks and Cammy : a playmaker who can win battles along the boards. I don't get why people say that Frolov and Kostsitsyn are similar : Andrei is a sniper ! Just put Kostsitsyn with Gomez and Gionta, they need a sniper anyway, and put Pouliot with Eller, and you got yourself quality depth.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:52 AM
sampollock

if cammy said, he is worth it, then do it

otherwise let it go

Old
07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
The attraction is the success he had with Cammalleri and that could be worth it. Considering the different UFA signings, I'd now be surprised Frolov would ask for less than $5M. I suddenly find him a little expensive. And at that price with Carey left to be signed, I don't think we can make that move.

Some like to talk about Frolov, others like to talk about Malone or Hartnell. In both cases, you have to make room on the salary cap.
Cammalleri doesn't need Frolov to have success. I'm not sure Frolov is worth the contract he will end up with(5-5.5 mil for 4-5 years).

Old
07-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Lucius

We just turned down Gagne because we had no money, and he's in the neighborhood of Frolov.

So no.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
We just turned down Gagne because we had no money, and he's in the neighborhood of Frolov.

So no.
If the team were committed to do so, they could make it happen. Other teams do.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
la25ecoupe

Why didn't we dump AK for Gagne?

Or Hammer for Gagne?

Cammy Gionta Gomez
Gagne Plek AK
Pouliot Eller Pyatt
Moen White Laps

Old
07-20-2010, 10:10 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post

Or Hammer for Gagne?

Cammy Gionta Gomez
Gagne Plek AK
Pouliot Eller Pyatt
Moen White Laps
its very to say, ''Dump hammer'' and expect it to be done. How would you propose to have gotten rid of Hammer? And dont say put him on waivers, cuz that is certainly not an option.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:13 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
its very to say, ''Dump hammer'' and expect it to be done. How would you propose to have gotten rid of Hammer? And dont say put him on waivers, cuz that is certainly not an option.
Why is it not an option?

Old
07-20-2010, 10:19 AM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
We just heard Gagne's agent saying Montreal said no to Gagne for cap reasons. Considering Gagne feetch pretty much nothing, You can forget about Frolov right about now.
It's not really an accurate comparison. Gagne is on the final year of his contract. Do the Habs want to give up assets to acquire a player for one season without guarantee he could be resigned, that's assuming they would want to resign him - he is getting older and is injury prone.
Haven't we seen this scenario before, anyone remember Alex Tanguay.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Why is it not an option?
oh no.. you again, .....the same person who says that Hammer is a waste, a 6th defencemen at best. It is not an option because despite what you think, at his age Hammer is still a good defencemen, slowly running out of gas, but still good nonetheless and is useful to this team right now. When Markov was injured he was our best defencemen and carried our D core and playing serious minutes. Markov is injured at the beginning of this season so expect to see hammer there(unless they find a way to trade him) obviously not playing as many minutes as last year because PK will be with the habs next season.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Assuming you were to bring in Frolov, AK is the obvious answer as to who leaves...

AK makes 3.250 mil
Frolov IMHO would cost 5-5.5 mil over 4-5 years

Both guys are coming off subpar years...

AK 33pts in 59 games(0.56 PPGM) 46pts over 82 games prorated
Frolov 51pts over 81 games(0.63 PPGM) 52pts over 82 games.

From PG's standpoint...
1-AK is only signed for 1 year while Frolov would require a 4-5-6 year commitment
2-both guys have a chance to do much better and bounce back...Frolov has 2 30+ goal seasons, AK had a 26 goal season only 2 years ago.
3-AK brings a cap hit that is about 2 mil less
4-depending on the market, may be no takers for AK at that cap hit...or very minimal return not making it worth the swap.
5-Pouliot, Pacioretty, Trotter plus possibly Eller could also develop into top 6 wingers within the timeframe that Frolov would sign for(4-6 years).

Old
07-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post

Or Hammer for Gagne?

Cammy Gionta Gomez
Gagne Plek AK
Pouliot Eller Pyatt
Moen White Laps
First of all, Gagne's cap hit is 2 mil higher and right now we have little wiggle room to the cap. Making room for him is pretty risky given his injuries the last 2-3 years, plus he would have cost assets.

In terms of Hamrik, with Markov's injury, we can't afford to lose him right now. He has a NTC making it hard to move him, then if we did, we'd have to go out and sign somebody to replace him, so another player would have to be moved to make 3-4 mil of room.

If we had plenty of cap room and an opening in the top 6, I'd have no problem gambling on Gagne.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:38 AM
gusfring

Quote:
oh no.. you again, .....the same person who says that Hammer is a waste, a 6th defencemen at best. It is not an option because despite what you think, at his age Hammer is still a good defencemen, slowly running out of gas, but still good nonetheless and is useful to this team right now. When Markov was injured he was our best defencemen and carried our D core and playing serious minutes. Markov is injured at the beginning of this season so expect to see hammer there(unless they find a way to trade him) obviously not playing as many minutes as last year because PK will be with the habs next season.
So it is an option, right? Don't say it isn't an option.

Yes, I think Hamrlik is grossly overpaid and his skills have deteriorated - last years playoffs were clear enough. That's my opinion.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:43 AM
saints96

Quote:
So it is an option, right? Don't say it isn't an option.

Yes, I think Hamrlik is grossly overpaid and his skills have deteriorated - last years playoffs were clear enough. That's my opinion.
The organization wont dump him, ill bet you anything, so thats not an option. Obviously he is overpaid, thanks for stating the obvious.. but i dont like or dislike a player according to how much he earns, forget that. I can admit he had a couple of bad games in the playoffs, almost everyone did so ya. And also he has a NTC , he will be hard to move. If you have a solution besides dumping cuz mark my words, it will not happen, id like to hear it.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
gusfring

Quote:
The organization wont dump him, ill bet you anything, so thats not an option. Obviously he is overpaid, thanks for stating the obvious.. but i dont like or dislike a player according to how much he earns, forget that. I can admit he had a couple of bad games in the playoffs, almost everyone did so ya. And also he has a NTC , he will be hard to move. If you have a solution besides dumping cuz mark my words, it will not happen, id like to hear it.
There is a difference between "won't" and "can't".

It won't happen (I agree with you) because this organization will never eat that salary - it would affect the bottom line too much, even if doing so would improve the team.

Old
07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Lucius

Quote:
If the team were committed to do so, they could make it happen. Other teams do.
Not saying it's impossible, just don't think Frolov is the kind of guy you juggle your roster to get.

If they felt they needed a top 6 forward, I'd rather have Ponikarovsky at a quarter the price.

Old
07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Not saying it's impossible, just don't think Frolov is the kind of guy you juggle your roster to get.

If they felt they needed a top 6 forward, I'd rather have Ponikarovsky at a quarter the price.
I agree that Frolov may not be the ideal guy, but the point being that this organization could make room if they were committed.

I think the team could survive 2-3 weeks without Markov and then go with the following 6 - and then add a guy to be in our top 6.

Markov-O'Byrne
Gill-Gorges
Spacek-Subban

-pick up a veteran to be the 7th.

Old
07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

If they didn't made a move to get Gagne even though he told 'em he would waive his NTC, I can't see the team sign Frolov. As for Hamrlik, IMO he'd better play less on the 3rd pair this season, this way he'll run out of gas later, and be more useful that way. The team won't dump him, simply because Hammer is a class act, and the Habs too... this is his last year, after that bye bye...

Old
07-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Lucius

Quote:
I agree that Frolov may not be the ideal guy, but the point being that this organization could make room if they were committed.

I think the team could survive 2-3 weeks without Markov and then go with the following 6 - and then add a guy to be in our top 6.

Markov-O'Byrne
Gill-Gorges
Spacek-Subban

-pick up a veteran to be the 7th.
It's a favorite parlor game, moving Hamrlik, but the team has shown zero indication they intend to do it.

I'd accept defeat there and make peace with the fact that he's playing out that contract.

Closed Thread