HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A couple of good reads on Price

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2010, 09:21 PM
  #26
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,820
vCash: 50
Awards:
Very powerful ending to that first blog.

Quote:
But I do know that Price will only be 23 when training camp begins, and while he has a lot to prove, he also has a lot to be proud of. In closing, I ask you this: Do you think Columbus fans should give up on Steve Mason just because he had a poor second season in the NHL at age 21?


Didn't think so.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
  #27
eightyseven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
How is winning Gold at the World Jr's, winning the Calder Cup, and after his first pro season, dropping 20 pounds in the summer terrible focus?
Price's main problem is his work ethic/attitude. He didn't use to spend extra time with the goaltending instructors, didn't practice hard, and was pretty much coasting on talent alone. He got carried away with the big city nightlife. This is the main reason why he has regressed in subsequent years, but he seems to have recovered since the Olympic break after being confronted by his teammates/coach. He has developed a better work ethic since then and he's shown he can play at an elite level.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:26 PM
  #28
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,820
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Price's main problem is his work ethic/attitude. He didn't use to spend extra time with the goaltending instructors, didn't practice hard, and was pretty much coasting on talent alone. He got carried away with the big city nightlife. This is the main reason why he has regressed in subsequent years, but he seems to have recovered since the Olympic break after being confronted by his teammates/coach. He has developed a better work ethic since then and he's shown he can play at an elite level.
This right here is the main problem with Price`s development ; Media puts to light EVERYTHING there is to know about said player. If said player is in the doghouse, turn the lights on even more.

Reminds me of a story P.J. Stock told on the radio. About how him and a few of his team-mates would always go out drinking, and once got mixed up with the Mafia in New York (Mafia got them ****-faced so they couldn`t play next game, and then bet against them thinking they`d lose because they were ****-faced). This was the only time we`d heard about that story, because the media didn`t catch a hold of it.

Can you imagine if that exact same scenario happened in Montreal? It already sort of did and look what happened.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:28 PM
  #29
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,355
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
This right here is the main problem with Price`s development ; Media puts to light EVERYTHING there is to know about said player. If said player is in the doghouse, turn the lights on even more.

Reminds me of a story P.J. Stock told on the radio. About how him and a few of his team-mates would always go out drinking, and once got mixed up with the Mafia in New York (Mafia got them ****-faced so they couldn`t play next game, and then bet against them thinking they`d lose because they were ****-faced). This was the only time we`d heard about that story, because the media didn`t catch a hold of it.

Can you imagine if that exact same scenario happened in Montreal? It already sort of did and look what happened.
+1 in my books for this post

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
  #30
The Kozfather
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
The problem with Price is the same as with anything else in our culture that gets huge amount of mediatic hype coupled with some "early adopters" fans: it creates an instant backlash hate in many people who dont like to feel like they're having a "star" shoved down their throat that they're expected to idolize.

Furthermore, if the "star"' doesnt match the hype but the fans dont tone their praise down, you just raised the backlash hate 100 fold. Price's own personality didnt help much either. He'll never be mistaken for Subban who's all cheerful smiles and positive energy and likable just for who he is.

So in Price's case, you get a kid who got tons of media hype, tons of management support, a dedicated fanclub who have unwavering faith in him, but the kid makes kids mistakes, is aloof, struggles... It's not a story that incites lot of sympathy from a whole lot of fans who dont feel they owe Price or management or other fans anything. Being told they "must" support Price now won't change that. Support from fans is something you earn from the way you play on the ice and conduct yourself off the ice.

The Kozfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
  #31
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kozfather View Post
The problem with Price is the same as with anything else in our culture that gets huge amount of mediatic hype coupled with some "early adopters" fans: it creates an instant backlash hate in many people who dont like to feel like they're having a "star" shoved down their throat that they're expected to idolize.

Furthermore, if the "star"' doesnt match the hype but the fans dont tone their praise down, you just raised the backlash hate 100 fold. Price's own personality didnt help much either. He'll never be mistaken for Subban who's all cheerful smiles and positive energy and likable just for who he is.

So in Price's case, you get a kid who got tons of media hype, tons of management support, a dedicated fanclub who have unwavering faith in him, but the kid makes kids mistakes, is aloof, struggles... It's not a story that incites lot of sympathy from a whole lot of fans who dont feel they owe Price or management or other fans anything. Being told they "must" support Price now won't change that. Support from fans is something you earn from the way you play on the ice and conduct yourself off the ice.
If Price were a Québécois prospect, the fans wouldn't feel that he was being shoved down their throats. That is, initially. However, even if he were a local boy they would turn on him eventually if he failed to live up to the hype. The only difference is that they'd extend him a longer grace period than they would with someone from Western Canada or Russia.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
  #32
FeelsLike93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
For all of you who think Price is already a bust haven't got a clue. The bad outweighs the good, always. Just like when you watch the news on tv nobody wants to see the good news they want the bad news. With Price it's no different, when he performs bad that sticks inside everyones head more then when he performs well. Maybe a lot of you do but I didn't forget how many outstanding games he's had in the past i remember him standing on his head so many games early in the season when the team infront of him were a disaster (earlier in the season when we hadn't gelled yet).

But learning in the playoffs that when he watched Halak from the bench he said so himself that he learned from it, and matured because of it. It made him learn he has to actually put work in and it won't come because his whole career he was on a pedestal. The problem with Price has always been the head on his shoulders and that's what will make or break his career imo. The guy is only 22 and his mind and maturity professionally isn't there yet, but it will be.

For once the "montreal" fans should cheer there goalie and hope he succeeds rather then waiting for him to play bad so they can boo him and criticize him. It's become pretty clear especially on these boards that when he plays good we see a little bit of praise, but when he plays bad everybody loves to rip this guy apart

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
  #33
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
I hate to say it but this is an extremely ignorant (and dumb) post.

1) Beauchemin was not Gainey's fault. Dont even know how you dont know that.

2) Hainsey was also not his fault (You know, there was this other GM we had a while back called Savard, are you old enough to remember?)

3) Nimminnaneninain was not a mistake per say. Ribs had to be traded (per request of the owner) as a dump asap. Plus it was best for the rest of the team. Didnt you know that Dallas fans really want to get rid of his stupid ass now???

Gainey is not the head scout (that's Timmins). He reads the reports and lets Timmins make the picks (since he trusts his judgement. Gainey does not personally see these picks play). Its too bad that we didnt get that "real" no. 1 center that we've always wanted during his tenure, i admit. But to judge him based on hindsight is pretty shallow.

If there's someone you want to blame for the early picks, blame Timmins.
Beauchemin and Hainsey were claimed off waivers by other teams under Gainey's watch and blossomed for a time elsewhere. Niinimaa was an unmitigated disaster as a player in Montreal, regardless of the ridiculously small value you place on Ribeiro.

Before you call something dumb and ignorant maybe you should brief yourself on history and get some facts straight.

The author of the article, Robert L uses Gainey's exposure to great and not so great players as proof he has what it takes to separate the wheat from the chaff. Problem is Gainey has at no time been able to make good assessments, so we are left to wonder what exactly makes his assessment of Price any different.

This isn't necessarily a commentary on Price, but more on the article which has about as much substance as most pro-management posts here on HFboards.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:49 AM
  #34
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Beauchemin and Hainsey were claimed off waivers by other teams under Gainey's watch and blossomed for a time elsewhere. Niinimaa was an unmitigated disaster as a player in Montreal, regardless of the ridiculously small value you place on Ribeiro.

Before you call something dumb and ignorant maybe you should brief yourself on history and get some facts straight.

The author of the article, Robert L uses Gainey's exposure to great and not so great players as proof he has what it takes to separate the wheat from the chaff. Problem is Gainey has at no time been able to make good assessments, so we are left to wonder what exactly makes his assessment of Price any different.

This isn't necessarily a commentary on Price, but more on the article which has about as much substance as most pro-management posts here on HFboards.

I agree Earl, but I don't agree with your username. Halak being dealt is not Carey Price's fault, so you should try to get behind him now.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 11:51 AM
  #35
The Kozfather
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
If Price were a Québécois prospect, the fans wouldn't feel that he was being shoved down their throats. That is, initially. However, even if he were a local boy they would turn on him eventually if he failed to live up to the hype. The only difference is that they'd extend him a longer grace period than they would with someone from Western Canada or Russia.
If Price was a hometown boy, the situation wouldnt be different, just more polarized, ie. more media hype, more intense fanboys, more intense haters. The hate on Price is fairly mild compared to the backlash Theodore had to go through once his on-ice performances stopped matching his off-ice exposure.

The Kozfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
  #36
MontrealHabitant
Registered User
 
MontrealHabitant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I agree Earl, but I don't agree with your username. Halak being dealt is not Carey Price's fault, so you should try to get behind him now.
lol this is Earl, now that makes a LOT MORE SENSE.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.