Notices

Bob Murray targeting Bieksa

Old
07-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Selanne138

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Well it is better than we have now with Brookbank playing top 4. Bieksa is way better than Brookbank.

What do you suggest then?
from what Ive read about Bieksa, he is too similar a player to Wiz in terms of brain farts, and you juts cant have two guys like that on the same pair. As Elvstrand said earlier, a pair of Lydman and Bieksa looks nice, but the Visnovsky-Wiz pairing scares me. Id be much more comfortable with Willie Mitchell personally.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
from what Ive read about Bieksa, he is too similar a player to Wiz in terms of brain farts, and you juts cant have two guys like that on the same pair. As Elvstrand said earlier, a pair of Lydman and Bieksa looks nice, but the Visnovsky-Wiz pairing scares me. Id be much more comfortable with Willie Mitchell personally.
Exactly. Bieksa could eat minutes, but he's not really the ideal partner with Visnovsky either. Bieksa and Wiz are way too similar, if we bring in Bieksa, I hope it means goodbye Wiz and someone else is brought in.

I really hope we can land Mitchell. Whoever gets him is going to get an absolute steal, and he'd be absolutely perfect for our top pairing in every way. If we can land Mitchell, IMO we're pretty set(as long as Wiz's arb award isn't crazy).

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Mitchelll is coming off of a concussion and is getting up there in years, he isnt the player that he once was, probably why he hasnt been signed yet.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Duckguy

I agree that Bieksa might be a little too similar to Wiz. Maybe keeping Wiz and throwing a heavy one year offer at Mitchel would make the most sense. Give Willie a 3.5 mill one year deal and a chance to earn a longer deal next off season.

Duckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:06 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

I like the idea of trading for Salvador, signing Mitchell.

Visnovsky-Mitchell
Salvador-Lydman (shutdown pair)
Wiz/Mikkelson-Brookbank

Not terrible. And Sbisa needs a year in the A. There is some toughness and skill on that back-end.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:34 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post

Visnovsky-Mitchell
Wiz/Mikkelson-Brookbank

Not terrible. And Sbisa needs a year in the A. There is some toughness and skill on that back-end.
As awesome as that would be, I can't see us not having a prospect on the team full time. We have too many guys that are probably capable of being on the bottom pairing. I fully expect 1 of Sbisa, Mikkelson, or Mitera to be our 6th guy next year.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:23 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
As awesome as that would be, I can't see us not having a prospect on the team full time. We have too many guys that are probably capable of being on the bottom pairing. I fully expect 1 of Sbisa, Mikkelson, or Mitera to be our 6th guy next year.
I would be upset seeing someone like sbisa play the third pairing or in the press box instead of the A.

total waste and would stunt his progression.

He and Fowler are our future on D. if both of them pan out we could have a great D core for the next 10 (fingers crossed) years. Why **** that up just so we can be an 8th seed team instead of 12th?

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post

Visnovsky-Mitchell
Wiz/Mikkelson-Brookbank

This could work out without Wiz!
Sbisa takes his place and also gets his top-4 minutes while Mitchell`s out with another injury!

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
I would be upset seeing someone like sbisa play the third pairing or in the press box instead of the A.

total waste and would stunt his progression.

He and Fowler are our future on D. if both of them pan out we could have a great D core for the next 10 (fingers crossed) years. Why **** that up just so we can be an 8th seed team instead of 12th?
Let me ask you something... Would you be opposed to letting a forward prospect getting 13 minutes a night? I sure wouldn't. If Sbisa is riding the pressbox then yes it'd be better for him to he in the A, but there's nothing wrong with getting 13 minutes a night on the bottom pair. Ideally over time he'd get better, and his ice time would go up, and maybe eventually suplant one of our top 4 defenseman. I just can't see us not having 2 prospects on the team this year. I expect our bottom pair to be this:

Sbisa- Brookbank
Mikk

Old
07-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Elvs

If Wisniewski is re-signed and another top 4 brought in I don't see any place for Sbisa with the Ducks to start with unless Festerling is gone.

Bottom three imo will look like:

Brookbank - Mikkelson/Festerling
Festerling/Mikkelson

I re-watched the Ducks last game this past season against the Oilers. Mikkelson looked pretty good in the 1st and 3rd period (dunno about the 2nd because I fell asleep ) And with the progression he made in camp last year, I have high hopes on him stepping up in a bottom pairing role next year.

Btw, Eminger was the best defenseman in the game

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
If Wisniewski is re-signed and another top 4 brought in I don't see any place for Sbisa with the Ducks to start with unless Festerling is gone.

Bottom three imo will look like:

Brookbank - Mikkelson/Festerling
Festerling/Mikkelson

I re-watched the Ducks last game this past season against the Oilers. Mikkelson looked pretty good in the 1st and 3rd period (dunno about the 2nd because I fell asleep ) And with the progression he made in camp last year, I have high hopes on him stepping up in a bottom pairing role next year.

Btw, Eminger was the best defenseman in the game
C`mon we won that game like 7-2? Everyone looked good on that game. Eminger got a goal. Carter got 2 and Parros - 1.
But as i`ve heard Mikk looked good on Toronto Marlies. Was one of if not the best their D, at the end of the season. Really stepped up, i guess.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
C`mon we won that game like 7-2? Everyone looked good on that game. Eminger got a goal. Carter got 2 and Parros - 1.
But as i`ve heard Mikk looked good on Toronto Marlies. Was one of if not the best their D, at the end of the season. Really stepped up, i guess.
Hah yeah I know Just saying, Mikkelson looked very calm and moved well. He looked really promising early in the year, but then got worse and was sent down. Point was that he looked better again when he was called up.

Old
07-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Hah yeah I know Just saying, Mikkelson looked very calm and moved well. He looked really promising early in the year, but then got worse and was sent down. Point was that he looked better again when he was called up.
Agree!
There were games near the end of the season, that he looked wery well! If he`s working hard in the summer, he could really get in 3d pairing.

But it will be hard for him anyway, with our prospects goming out these years.

Old
07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
defer*

Quote:
Let me ask you something... Would you be opposed to letting a forward prospect getting 13 minutes a night? I sure wouldn't. If Sbisa is riding the pressbox then yes it'd be better for him to he in the A, but there's nothing wrong with getting 13 minutes a night on the bottom pair. Ideally over time he'd get better, and his ice time would go up, and maybe eventually suplant one of our top 4 defenseman. I just can't see us not having 2 prospects on the team this year. I expect our bottom pair to be this:

Sbisa- Brookbank
Mikk
Let me ask you something.... when was the last time a great defensive prospect panned out in the ducks system??

We have a great oppurtunity right now to get ATLEAST 1st 2nd and 3rd pairing defenders out of our prospects right now. We are not going to win the cup this year and the slow approach worked for getz bobby perry and penner.

If the last 4 guys to go through our system were raised this way AND IT WORKED, why not do it again?

Old
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Let me ask you something.... when was the last time a great defensive prospect panned out in the ducks system??

We have a great oppurtunity right now to get ATLEAST 1st 2nd and 3rd pairing defenders out of our prospects right now. We are not going to win the cup this year and the slow approach worked for getz bobby perry and penner.

If the last 4 guys to go through our system were raised this way AND IT WORKED, why not do it again?
and how did all four of the players you mentioned get their start in Anaheim? Thats right, by playing small minutes on the fourth line, and earning a place in the Top 6, which is what ducksstud is saying.

Old
07-20-2010, 02:33 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
and how did all four of the players you mentioned get their start in Anaheim? Thats right, by playing small minutes on the fourth line, and earning a place in the Top 6, which is what ducksstud is saying.
I see what you guys are saying but defenders take longer to develope and we were in win mode then. We are not in win mode now. I hate to say this but we will not win the cup this year unless Bob pulls something majestic out of his ass.

Therefore why rush it?

and to answer your question i would rather sbisa play 25 minutes in the A then 10 on the big team

Old
07-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Pepper

For me it's gonna be huge disappoitment if Sbisa doesn't start the season in the NHL.

Our track record with d prospects isn't that great, SOB and Huskins are the last "ok" prospects we have brought up. Well, Huskins wasn't drafted by us. Still, that's no excuse not to give Sbisa a chance.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:

I'll put it this way: which do you think is better for a rookie defenseman:

He could be thrown on in the top 4. If he struggles, his confidence can go way down.

Or

He could be placed on the bottom pair getting 13 minutes a game. If he does well, he could see spot duty on the top 4, and may see permaent duty.

I'm 100% for the 2nd choice. Yes you are right we haven't seen any defensive prospects do well, but that isn't due to the system IMO. I think we handled Huskins very well. He had a year on the bottom pair and did very well. The next year he was given the spot in the top 4 cause he earned it. He failed in that role but not because of the system.

I think Sbisa should get 1st crack at the 5/6 spot, but if he struggles and Mikk outplays him, then he goes to the AHL and Mikk gets the 6th spot with Festerling as #7. It won't hurt Festerling one bit to be our #7 because frankly i think what we've seen is what we are going to get with him.

Old
07-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
I see what you guys are saying but defenders take longer to develope and we were in win mode then. We are not in win mode now. I hate to say this but we will not win the cup this year unless Bob pulls something majestic out of his ass.

Therefore why rush it?

and to answer your question i would rather sbisa play 25 minutes in the A then 10 on the big team
fair enough, youre entitled to your opinion. Personally I think that starting Sbisa on the third pair is the best option, and if he earns more time, then he can be given more time. To me, him playing 25 mins in the AHL wont make him ready for a top 4 role, you need that step in between on the bottom pairing, at least for a little while

Old
07-21-2010, 02:10 AM
David71

what would the ducks be willing to give up for bieska? picks/prospects?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:14 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
what would the ducks be willing to give up for bieska? picks/prospects?
sexton+mid defensive prospect IMO

you get a cheap NHL ready player and a defensive prospect to take him place.

Old
07-21-2010, 02:16 AM
defer*

Quote:
I'll put it this way: which do you think is better for a rookie defenseman:

He could be thrown on in the top 4. If he struggles, his confidence can go way down.

Or

He could be placed on the bottom pair getting 13 minutes a game. If he does well, he could see spot duty on the top 4, and may see permaent duty.

I'm 100% for the 2nd choice. Yes you are right we haven't seen any defensive prospects do well, but that isn't due to the system IMO. I think we handled Huskins very well. He had a year on the bottom pair and did very well. The next year he was given the spot in the top 4 cause he earned it. He failed in that role but not because of the system.

I think Sbisa should get 1st crack at the 5/6 spot, but if he struggles and Mikk outplays him, then he goes to the AHL and Mikk gets the 6th spot with Festerling as #7. It won't hurt Festerling one bit to be our #7 because frankly i think what we've seen is what we are going to get with him.
i totally agree that IF sbisa plays in the NHL he needs to start on the 3rd pairing but i still think he should start out in the AHL till an injury requires another defender. or until it becomes clear that the AHL is not helping him anymore.

Old
07-21-2010, 04:03 AM
Giguere27

I wouldn't mind trading Sexton+Festerling+pick for Bieksa

Giguere27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 04:31 AM
Patito

Send a message via MSN to Patito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giguere27 View Post
I wouldn't mind trading Sexton+Festerling+pick for Bieksa
Too much, no?. I think one of Sexton/ Festerling + pick should be enough.

Patito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Elvs

Huskins was over 25 years old, it wasn't "top 4 or AHL" in his case.

To be honest, we never had any great defensive prospects except for Tverdovsky who was good in his prime. Smid and Vishnevski were obviously early picks, but wasn't expected to have great offensive upside. And Smid is still interesting as a shut down guy, and who knows how he would have developed here?

Salei didn't dissapoint and Havelid was 26 when he was drafted. We haven't developed much on the back end, but the current group of D prospects is the best this team has ever had. And all of them have shown progress thus far.

Last edited by Elvs: 07-21-2010 at 06:32 AM.