HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Rant Thread (Post Your Rants Here)

Old
07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
AEG didnt pay Beckham 250M dollars. AEG paid him 6.5M a season to play soccer. The 250M number came about when adding in all his endorsements.

Slice it any way you want, but the fact remains that AEG went out and GOT the top soccer player in the world to play for them.

And in hockey, they basically passed on the "most recent available high-impact UFA" that would have helped take the Kings to the next level.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Because I can see what is lacking on the NHL backline as it stands today and since rookies don't generally show up and become world beaters I don't see it improving a lot. Add to that Brodeur's age and it isn't that hard to figure out.

Kovalchuk took the money. IMO his best chance for long-term success with a team was with the Kings. I doubt NJ is a threat to win a cup for a while after Brodeur retires. Is that really hard for you to understand?
How exactly are the Kings any closer to winning a Stanley Cup?

Brodeur has said he plans to play for awhile longer and they still have one of the best GM's in the league who has been able to reload that team for years.

The only area the Kings have on the Devils is D, and that is not based on depth its based on the Kings having two of the best young d-man in the league.

They have multiple first line forwards, we have one.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

It's ironic how when we last had a player of Kovy's caliber (Gretzky) we lacked a solid enough supporting cast, and now we have the supporting cast but no real superstar. Goes to show you though that one player does not a Cup winner make.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:01 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Something the fans don't understand? Then go tell your boss he should have never told us it was about the cap, and not the cash.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Slice it any way you want, but the fact remains that AEG went out and GOT the top soccer player in the world to play for them.
Beckham was not the top soccer player in the world at the time they signed him. The most known, maybe. Certainly not the top though.
And The Galaxy won how many championships with him?

Quote:
And in hockey, they basically passed on the "most recent available high-impact UFA" that would have helped take the Kings to the next level.
That's a maybe. There is such a thing as a free agent bust.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

thank you!!

Old
07-20-2010, 02:03 PM
kingpest19

Quote:

Not really. He may have been the big name but he wasnt the best player in the world.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
It's ironic how when we last had a player of Kovy's caliber (Gretzky) we lacked a solid enough supporting cast, and now we have the supporting cast but no real superstar. Goes to show you though that one player does not a Cup winner make.
Haha....good point.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
SuperAlmeida

kingscast

Hearing rumors that the #LAKings have signed unrestricted free agent Cap Space to a 10-year deal.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
hangons

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...20_141320_9540

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
kingscast

Hearing rumors that the #LAKings have signed unrestricted free agent Cap Space to a 10-year deal.
This isn't funny anymore.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Something the fans don't understand? Then go tell your boss he should have never told us it was about the cap, and not the cash.
I keep telling everyone Leiweke should just go away.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Homunculous

I'm not over not getting Kovy, I'm growing tired of rooting for the 'also-ran' L.A. Kings. I'll still bleed purple and gold, but I'm beginning to see how PSP and other such pessimists have come to be. I may have absurd pipe dreams of grabbing an all star every year, but really I just want us to get one complimentary piece to add to the core. Honestly, I love this team and wear my homer glasses daily, but is there even one other legitimate scoring threat on this team besides Kopitar? There has been shots at solidifying the back end and adding firepower up front. I feel Dean has molded this team too much in his image though, the opportunity for scoring is there whether it be goals or improving the team, but he just keeps flipping the wrister into the boards.

^ Dean Lombardi in contract negotiating. Poor guy cant even sink an empty netter.

Homunculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Not really. He may have been the big name but he wasnt the best player in the world.
Which is why I want Leiweke to stay the hell away from the Kings. He is willing to spend big money on PR. He doesn't have Clue #1 about what it takes to build a winning team in any sport.

Old
07-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculous View Post
I'm not over not getting Kovy, I'm growing tired of rooting for the 'also-ran' L.A. Kings. I'll still bleed purple and gold, but I'm beginning to see how PSP and other such pessimists have come to be. I may have absurd pipe dreams of grabbing an all star every year, but really I just want us to get one complimentary piece to add to the core. Honestly, I love this team and wear my homer glasses daily, but is there even one other legitimate scoring threat on this team besides Kopitar? There has been shots at solidifying the back end and adding firepower up front. I feel Dean has molded this team too much in his image though, the opportunity for scoring is there whether it be goals or improving the team, but he just keeps flipping the wrister into the boards.

^ Dean Lombardi in contract negotiating. Poor guy cant even sink an empty netter.
I blame the internet for **** like this.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:18 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
And DL said he had complete control and the authority to make the necessary decisions himself, too. But it just aint so. Or, DL is so woefully out-of-date with how you work a cap structure into a contract to your advantage that he is destined to always come up short. Its funny to hear him know, contrasted to before, when he has to admit he is NOT the smartest guy in the room.

And he has admitted as much when he said in the interview "we'll be better next time." Guess maybe even Deano needs to learn his lessons, at least when he gets schooled like he just did by Lou.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:

Old
07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
And DL said he had complete control and the authority to make the necessary decisions himself, too. But it just aint so. Or, DL is so woefully out-of-date with how you work a cap structure into a contract to your advantage that he is destined to always come up short. Its funny to hear him know, contrasted to before, when he has to admit he is NOT the smartest guy in the room.

And he has admitted as much when he said in the interview "we'll be better next time." Guess maybe even Deano needs to learn his lessons, at least when he gets schooled like he just did by Lou.
You can hate on the guy all you want. He is the best GM this team has ever had, and is doing a great job of building a winning organization. The only thing disappointing about this whole thing is that Lombardi got a raise he couldn't call. Leiweke got everyone's hopes up with his statement. He should have just kept his mouth shut.

That and it's obvious that over the long haul, money was the most important thing to Kovalchuk.

Old
07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Which is why I want Leiweke to stay the hell away from the Kings. He is willing to spend big money on PR. He doesn't have Clue #1 about what it takes to build a winning team in any sport.
So then, since the cap hit was RIGHT, even damn near perfect, you would agree that TL and Uncle Phil should have shelled out for Kovy, because as you recently said you dont care about AEG's money? It's all about Cap Space.

Old
07-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Homunculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I blame the internet for **** like this.
Yes, a major portion of it is the internet. Another reason why it's going to drag on is DL has admitted we need scoring help on multiple occasions, and on multiple occasions he has fallen flat on his face attempting to get it. If you dont know how to ride a bike dont make sly remarks alluding to your mad skills then proceed to go ass over elbows on your shiny new Huffy.

Homunculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
So then, since the cap hit was RIGHT, even damn near perfect, you would agree that TL and Uncle Phil should have shelled out for Kovy, because as you recently said you dont care about AEG's money? It's all about Cap Space.
Yep, since they said it they should have backed it up. If they didn't mean it, Leiweke should have kept quiet. The cap hit was fine.

Old
07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer 44 View Post
Not sure what you are referring to

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner/Zubrus
Kovy - Arnott - Elias

Two first line centers right there. Elias can net 25-30 easy now 50+ from both wingers. Zajac will net 20-25 as will lang

The third line center will probably be a stud in the system who looks real good. So we are fine at center.

The blue line could use a few better skaters but Andy Green is pretty damn good at that and Tallinder isn't as bad as people think. They will make due.
Zajac is a fine young player, sure, but let's not fool ourselves here. The kid's career high is 25 goals and 67 points. That's not a first line center no matter how many ways you want to spin it. And these numbers came playing with Parise.

And Arnott? Come on, man. This guy has been visibly declining for the last three years, and is a few blinks away from the big 40. Arnott a first line center? Either you're delusional or think we're still in the 90s, and even then Arnott wasn't a first line center.

As for this imaginary third line center, I'll believe it when I see it. Hell, I hope you're right. If some kid from the system can step in and be a quality checking center, then Brayden Schenn can have a Calder worthy season.

As for the rest, Elias, Langenbrunner, Rolston, etc., these are guys in the twilight of their careers and while they may not get any worse going into next year, and maybe even the year after, they're not going to get any better by any stretch of the imagination. That leaves you with, like I said, a young promising center in Zajac who has yet to break out, and two star LWs. That, again, does not = high powered offense.

As far as your blueline goes, you think Greene is going to solve all your PMD woes? I don't know...maybe. The guy had a good year last year. So let's say he improves, even, and puts up 45 points next year. That's still one defenseman out of six that can play a transition game. My second favorite team is Buffalo. I watched Tallinder play for years (and by consequence, I saw a lot of Volchenkov, too) and the guy is not an offensive heavyweight. He's not even a lightweight. He's in a non-existent weight class that will wow you with a KO punch every thirty games or so, and after that go back inside his shell. Volchenkov is a shot blocking machine...and that's it.

Maybe Tedenby and co. are truly the real deal and will slide right into the lineup and the Devils won't miss a beat. Hell, I wouldn't say that's NOT a possibility. But as a Kings' fan, trust me on this: don't put faith in the prospect pool. 1 out of every 5 blue chip prospects turn into anything relevant.

How I see the Devils right now? I see an entire franchise that is simply getting old, from management all the way down to inbetween the pipes. I also see an owner who is worried about ticket sales and his club's waxing and waning relevance in a bloated NY/NJ sporting pool. So what's the answer? Moar scoring. Moar flashiness. Moar high profile names.

Now don't get me wrong; LA could have used moar of all of the above. But where I see LA's interest in Kovalchuk tied into where they're going, I see NJ's interest in Kovalchuk tied into where they DON'T want to go.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Goallum

Quote:

I don't think he's out of touch, or out of date, or anything like that. It's a little naive to think that he wasn't aware of the fact that this could be structured as a Hossa/Zetterberg/Franzen type of a deal. The simple fact is that he didn't want to go there. He tried to make it work on a legitimate hockey deal, backed up by rational projections, and that's what he was willing to do. The type of a deal that Kovalchuk got out of New Jersey was simply not on the table, so it's not about "not going far enough," but rather not willing to go there at all.

Also, it sure sounds like Lamoriello doesn't feel too happy about having to go there either, but that's what his owner wanted to do. It's certainly the owner's prerogative, but you have to wonder about the deal, if Lamoriello himself is so quick to distance himself from how the contract was structured, only taking ownership of having signed off on the fact that Kovalchuk is a fit for his team from a hockey and salary cap standpoint on the short- to mid-term basis.

For what it's worth, Ted Leonsis was on the Jim Rome show today, and when asked about this deal said that he would never do a deal like this, and I don't think you can accuse Ted Leonsis of not being a passionate owner trying his hardest to make his team into a winner.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I agree 100% Johnny...but this team has so many holes to fill right now we have to wonder where adding that quality d-man falls into those plans, as of now we don't have enough offense to win and our defense looks very shaky also.

How did we get in this mess, its unbelievable.
I usually take what you say with a grain of salt because you're clearly whacked out of your mind, but Jesus H. Christ dude, what the ****?

Let's see..."don't have enough offense to win." Where the hell did you come up with that? The Kings were the 9th highest scoring team in the league last season. As it stands right now they're returning the same forwards as last season minus Halpern (yay 1 assist!), Frolov (who scored all of 19 of the Kings 231 goals last season), Ivanans (clearly the reason the Kings' offense is now going to suck), and Modin (who was somewhat productive in his short time here, but let's get real, losing him is nothing to cry over). If you think the 4 players listed above are the difference between the 9th best offensive team and a team that can't even score enough to win, then more power to you...I guess.

Ok, so, "defense looks very shaky also." The Kings are returning the 4 most important defensemen they had on the their roster last season in Doughty, Johnson, Scuderi, and Greene. Plus they're losing Jones. That's worthy of a noted improvement in itself. If they go into the season with Hickey and Voinov (for example) as the other 2 defensemen, then there's some reason to worry. However, that's not going to be the end of the world. The team has a #1, a #3, a #4, and a #5 defenseman right now. Is there room for improvement? Clearly, but it's not as "shaky" as you seem to think.

I know your whole gig is to put a negative spin on anything this team does, but gaining a little perspective might be beneficial for someone in your situation.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
You can hate on the guy all you want. He is the best GM this team has ever had, and is doing a great job of building a winning organization. The only thing disappointing about this whole thing is that Lombardi got a raise he couldn't call. Leiweke got everyone's hopes up with his statement. He should have just kept his mouth shut.

That and it's obvious that over the long haul, money was the most important thing to Kovalchuk.
Its the arrogance and ego that bothers. And it sucks that we didnt get Kovalchuk. It's not clear to me yet, and it may never be clear to anyone, whether it was DL, or TL and Uncle Phil, or a simple lack of understanding on the entire management team's part of what it would take to get Kovy that is tyhe real reason why it didnt happen.

I'm not talking about "because he signed with NJ." What I mean is that DL either was clueless about what it would take to get him here, how to structure a contract like Lou did to get the player and give him what he wanted, or that Uncle Phil said "No" because he thinks 90M for a hockey player is stupid.

Listening to DL's remarks, about IK getting Ovechkin money, it could be inferred that DL was never prepared to go that high whatever the cap hit. (Which is ridiculous if Cap hit is whats really important) Thats supported by his "final offer" statements as well. not ot mention that it fits hois M.O. of being a hardball conservative contract negotiator. But honestly it could be any of those things.

Two of those indicate that DL didn't have a grasp of necessary factors and that he isn't All That he cracks himself up to be (although I will give you he's the best we've had -- but when you are used to S*** and P***, dirty water looks good), and the third tends to give credence to the label I threw at him years ago.

Face it, Its a bad week to be a Lombardista.