HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La - Edm

Old
07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
La - Edm

Posted this over in the Oiler's section, was looking for an LA opinion on it too.

So, I was thinking:

To

-Jarret Stoll (3.6m)
-Justin Williams (3.5m)

To

-Sheldon Souray (5.4m)
-Andrew Cogliano (maybe a prospect instead?)
-Something else to sweeten the deal

Reasoning:

EDM gets their veteran PKing 3rd line C and take back a salary dump, which could actually fit nicely onto the the 2nd line RW spot(if healthy) to give our kids another year to develop.

LA gets a proven Dman in souray(if healthy). LA would want an NHL ready forward in return but, that's where the problems arises. Depending on Cogliano's salary next year, the Kings may be taking on salary, in which case maybe a prospect fits better into that spot. For taking Souray and a somehwhat project of Cogliano, we would probably have to put something in to sweeten the deal.

I think Cogs could fit in as your 2nd line C. I'm not going to pretend like I know alot about LA players, but...isn't Handzus good on the dot and defensively, he could take over for Stoll on the 3rd line, Richardson on the 4th?

EDM:

Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Penner - Gagner - Williams
Brule - Stoll - Jones
JFJ - Fraser - Storts

LA:

Doughty - Johnson
Greene - Souray
Scuderi - Drewiske

My first proposal, go easy on me.

I feel like this benefits both teams.
Your thoughts?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Souray was free 2 weeks ago

So you want
Stoll and Williams

for Coglaino and something to sweeten the deal?

You asked us to be nice so,

"**** no"

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Teubert, Lewis, and a 2nd in 2011 for Penner instead.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
DeeMeck

Try again...

Take out Souray and add Gilbert and Hemsky, then we add a prospect.

Is Hemsky still hurt?

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:05 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Try again...

Take out Souray and add Gilbert and Hemsky, then we add a prospect.

Is Hemsky still hurt?
Does it matter? Your counter is ridiculous.

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by nally View Post
Does it matter? Your counter is ridiculous.
still not as bad as the OP's

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:13 PM
dnicks17

If Souray is healthy with a change of scenery, you can't deny that he makes your D better. At the same time, Cogliano very well could turn out to be a very good 2nd line C. He improved leaps and bounds by the end of the season. He could easily become the best player in this deal by far.

You guys get rid of a 3.5 million dollar band-aid who's played 130 games since 06/07. And, it seems like there's a collective opinion of wanting Stoll out of LA.

The idea of a Doughty/Souray tandem seems pretty scary to me on the back end of a PP.

Old
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
still not as bad as the OP's

For a person who considered Souray "free" 2 weeks ago, I don't think you really deserve an opinion.

I guess you consider Kovalchuk free? If you added Souray's salary without dumping any, there would have been no way you could have even thought about entering talks with Kovy.

Adding Souray then, would have cost you Kovy.

I wouldn't consider Kovy "free".

Old
07-20-2010, 04:25 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

The Kings have more than enough cap space to absorb that contract without moving salary the other way so if they wanted Souray they would have taken him from waivers. Stoll and Williams, while sometimes disappointing, still serve as top 6 players on the Kings and won't be given away as salary dumps.

We have no use for Cogliano either, Stoll is better.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:29 PM
DeeMeck

I don't think 2 top 6 forwards at reasonable contracts is so ridiculous for Hemsky, a decent dman like Gilbert, and Cogliano who is in every Edm trade proposal.

I actually think Stoll, Williams, and a prospect for Hemsky, Gilbert, and Cogliano addresses the needs of both teams.

Personally, I like what Stoll and Williams bring when healthy. Don't want to see either moved.

Old
07-20-2010, 04:50 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

The idea of a Doughty/Souray tandem seems pretty scary to me on the back end of a PP.
Our PP is plenty scary. With Doughty/Johnson, our points are already one of the best in the league. Reference: Vancouver playoffs.

With Doughty/Stoll, we're scary for a different reason. As in, where the hell is the puck going? Will I get hurt? Reference: Burrows getting drilled by Stoll.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
ukyo

I'd rather do a simpler trade for Penner, like for Voinov + Jones/Zatkoff.

We have a logjam in the goalie pipeline and depending on how camp plays out, Voinov might start leaning towards KHL if he gets beaten out for a roster spot. All three of those kids would probably take over top spot for their respective positions in the Oilers' farm system.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:57 PM
dnicks17

I just figured a potential 20/30 Dman, potential 50 point 23 year old and a mid tier prospect would be worth a 2nd line C, that's probably more suited to a 3rd line role, and a injury plagued 2nd line RW.

The last time Williams played a full season, Souray put up 26 goals.

Oh well.

I understand where you're coming from, I just thought Stoll and Williams were players LA wanted to move.

I definately undervalued Stoll. I thought the upgrade of Souray over Harrold and Cogliano over Williams would be enough to entice the swap of a mid tier prospect for Stoll.

Last edited by dnicks17: 07-20-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old
07-20-2010, 05:05 PM
William H Bonney

If we're going to give up something to get a d-man from Edmonton we might as well go after Tom Gilbert instead of Sheldon Souray. Any trade for Souray (only) should be for scraps on our end. Gilbert would be a different story.

Knowing Dean, he probably has his eyes fixated on Ethan Moreau.

07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
I just figured a potential 20/30 Dman, potential 50 point 23 year old and a mid tier prospect would be worth a 2nd line C, that's probably more suited to a 3rd line role, and a injury plagued 2nd line RW.

Oh well.

I understand where you're coming from, I just thought Stoll and Williams were players LA wanted to move.
They could be moved....but this wouldn't be the type of package DL looks for I don't think.

I think they would be more likely packaged in a deal for a big-time forward.

Old
07-20-2010, 05:07 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
If we're going to give up something to get a d-man from Edmonton we might as well go after Tom Gilbert instead of Sheldon Souray. Any trade for Souray (only) should be for scraps on our end. Gilbert would be a different story.

Knowing Dean, he probably has his eyes fixated on Ethan Moreau.
If I am not mistaken...Moreau signed with Columbus with a bunch of other ex-Oilers.

Old
07-20-2010, 05:11 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:

Oh well.

I definately undervalued Stoll. I thought the upgrade of Souray over Harrold and Cogliano over Williams would be enough to entice the swap of a mid tier prospect for Stoll.
The problem is we're already thin in our Top 6. Whether we like it or not, Williams and Stoll currently pencil into our Top 6. Yes, we need another Top 4 d-man so that part makes sense but the rest doesn't. We need Top 6 caliber forwards so if Williams/Stoll are getting shipped out, guys to replace their spots need to be coming back in that trade -- or acquired elsewhere prior to them being moved, which isn't happening with Lombardi. Cogliano may have decent potential but it doesn't help us now which is what we need, plus we'd still be out 1 top 6 forward. Throw in the fact that Frolov is gone, it's inevitable Williams will get injured for long stretches of the season and Smyth probably will go down at some time as well, we need to add Top 9 caliber forwards not lose them.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:12 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
If I am not mistaken...Moreau signed with Columbus with a bunch of other ex-Oilers.
I can't believe I missed (forgot) about such a stud changing teams...

Last edited by William H Bonney: 07-20-2010 at 05:52 PM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:51 PM
swany

You can have Souray for some of that nice sand from the beach, maybe we could throw in Cogs for a 1st round pick that's all we will get for a guy that gets hurt and spouts off about managment. The pick would be just for Cogs the sand for Souray done deal.

swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:14 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
You can have Souray for some of that nice sand from the beach, maybe we could throw in Cogs for a 1st round pick that's all we will get for a guy that gets hurt and spouts off about managment. The pick would be just for Cogs the sand for Souray done deal.
How about we give you Matt Walker and a 4th for Hemsky?? Seemed to work for Tampa...

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Mattias

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:46 PM
TWS

Our GM doesn't want to spend a 6 million dollar cap hit on Kovalchuk...why would he want to spend 5.4 for Souray?

TWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWS View Post
Our GM doesn't want to spend a 6 million dollar cap hit on Kovalchuk...why would he want to spend 5.4 for Souray?
Because he believes you work from the net out. Wings are last on the to do list.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 08:16 PM
no name

I wouldn't mind either player but shedding salary isn't a pressing need considering Williams contract isn't lengthy and Stoll is easily movable for a nice piece. If not then Stoll doesn't have much longer on his contract either.

So I counter with Stoll and a 4th rounder. You shed a lot of salary and get a good player in the process.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:08 PM
LAKings4ever

How about something like this:

TO LA:
Gilbert
Penner

TO EDM:
Williams
Zatkoff
Moller/pick

Edmonton gets young talent - not sure that is what is needed, but it's what we have to give.

LA gets proven NHL players - not top tier, but it would help our current team immensely by improving scoring and defense.

I would be interested in what Edmonton fans would want brought back for this package, I am not familiar with thier team or needs so willing to adjust.

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote