HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jody Shelley - Good signing!

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by samistheman View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZC8mjQgzQs

here's the cheap shot on richards
Isn't it why we got O'Donnell? he can fight right? Shelley or Walker.. Someone has to go. You can not have both on the same team. No reason for it.

Old
07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Yeah...
I guess I just don't understand the point you guys are trying to make. You're saying it's to our advantage not to have a heavyweight enforcer to counter another team's guy because if we don't have one, their guy will have nothing to do?

Old
07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

At least Lappy will be happy he won't have to do this anymore.

Plus, I think we have to remember Shelly wasn't here to score he has a job to do, not all 12 forwards are going to score 20 + plus goals.

We will see the status of Shelly on the boards when he drops Goddard in Pittsburgh new arena opening night.

Old
07-20-2010, 03:29 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I don't hate the fact that the Flyers signed Shelley.

I hate the fact that they're paying Jody ****ing Shelley $1.1 million. Granted, it doesn't quite reach the Boogard contract level of stupidity, but it's right up there.

Old
07-20-2010, 03:31 PM
samistheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Isn't it why we got O'Donnell? he can fight right? Shelley or Walker.. Someone has to go. You can not have both on the same team. No reason for it.
we got o'donnell and walker to play defense not fight heavyweights... i'm sure they will drop em with the middleweights but the flyers are in a division with boogaard, godard, leblond and konopka... not to mention they see orr four times a year...

Old
07-20-2010, 03:32 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I don't hate the fact that the Flyers signed Shelley.

I hate the fact that they're paying Jody ****ing Shelley $1.1 million
. Granted, it doesn't quite reach the Boogard contract level of stupidity, but it's right up there.
This is it right here, I do not like the $$ amount, but he will be needed because even if Boogey man is not fighting, he throws devastating hits against the boards and I am all for Shelley keeping him off the ice as much as possible !

Old
07-20-2010, 03:33 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemz View Post
But you have to be prepared.

I think God/Boog/Orr dress most nights

Maybe we need to get back to

2 scoring lines
1 check line
1 clean upcrew
Actually, this is the reason why Shelley is a bad signing. The Flyers are clearly married to the 3 scoring lines--1 checking/energy line combination. Shelley doesn't fit anywhere on the top 3 lines, and we're a better team with Lappy-Betts-Carcillo/Powe/Asham than any combo with Shelley.

Old
07-20-2010, 03:38 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
So would I, to a certain point. The fallacy is that the Bullies were only tough as nails. The fact is that, while they took no **** from anyone, they could play. That's a golden combination. Shelley, Cote and the majority of their contemporaries can't do both.
Even shultz had hat tricks, kelly could really play. They could afford to be shorthanded so much because they were better than everyone. LCB line, bernie, good role guys, solid D.

A shelley hat trick is 3 goals in a season.

Old
07-20-2010, 03:40 PM
samistheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Actually, this is the reason why Shelley is a bad signing. The Flyers are clearly married to the 3 scoring lines--1 checking/energy line combination. Shelley doesn't fit anywhere on the top 3 lines, and we're a better team with Lappy-Betts-Carcillo/Powe/Asham than any combo with Shelley.
i think homer fell in love with shelley when he played those two games against philly where he basically took over.

Old
07-20-2010, 03:47 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZC8mjQgzQs

here's the cheap shot on richards
So what is Shelley supposed to do about it? He won''t be skating with our star players so he'll be watching from the bench if he's dressed. Then he'd have to fight them later, which does what exactly?

Old
07-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
i think homer fell in love with shelley when he played those two games against philly where he basically took over.
I think this is how he fall in love with Eminger too and we missed out on John Carlson.

That was sweet.

Quote:
we got o'donnell and walker to play defense not fight heavyweights... i'm sure they will drop em with the middleweights but the flyers are in a division with boogaard, godard, leblond and konopka... not to mention they see orr four times a year...
So what? Skate away score a PP goal or break a leg with a shot from the point.

Go after gaborik on the next shift and smash him in the boards and break his color bone in process.

Holmgren invested 2.8M into Walker and Shelley for the next 3 years. We did not even waive Cote yet. Thats comes down to 3.2M. Thats freaking crazy

Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-20-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old
07-20-2010, 04:42 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
A shelley hat trick is 3 goals in a season.
Hell, that's a career year!

Old
07-20-2010, 05:19 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

If goons are important then why are they all being bought out? See Fedoruk, Brashear, Laraque. Only us and the Rangers (and I guess T.O) are dumb enough to invest huge money in one right now.

Old
07-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
I don't care that he is just a goon. If he can do what he did to Goddard and Orr this year I will be happy

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/92394

If you take away Cote's salary, Shelly only costs us about 500k per season. That's how I will digest it.
Wow......He smoked Colton Orr.....Can't ever get enough of that.

And I agree with the signing, I do.

What I do NOT agree with is the cap hit & the contract length.

Hell, Holmgren might as well have added a NMC or a NTC seeing as it's about the only thing he knows how to do

Why can Holmgren not just pick the players, and someone else handle the terms of the deal?

I realise this is ridiculous, but is it more ridiculous than giving Shelley 1.1 for 3 years? Nah

Old
07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
If you take away Cote's salary, Shelly only costs us about 500k per season. That's how I will digest it.
That's like trying to digest a battery.

Old
07-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Garbage Goal

It's not even the cap hit and length either. It's the fact that, right now, it looks like he might actually get an active spot on the roster rather then being our extra forward (which is what he should be).

Old
07-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Here are the cap hits this season for some comparable players on rival teams.

Boogaard (NYR)- $1.75 Million
4 year deal for a guy who averages about 50 games a season.

Brashear (NYR)- $1.4 Million
Last year of a 2 year deal, he will be 39 when its done and will likely be buried in the AHL.

Shelley (Philly)- $1.1 Million
3 year deal ending just after turning 37.

Orr (Toronto)- $1.0 Million
4 year deal signed last year. He's coming off a career high 6 points this season.

Thornton (Boston)- .8125 Million
2 year deal ending just before he turns 35.

Goddard (Pitt)- $.750 Million
This is the last year of a 3 year deal. The cap has gone up and when he signed the deal he had only had 1 full NHL season as an established heavyweight. I'd be shocked if he didnt sign for around 1 Million next year.

The average Cap hit for those guys is 1.135 Million(Just above Shelley). The thing about those cap hits is the fact that most of them dont play every game so in the end is Shelley gets 41 games and Powe signs for 700k and gets 41 games that's a 900k cap hit for a 4th liner. Not really a bad deal.

I really think they want Carcillo to be more of an agitator that can play 3rd line minutes and chip in some more points rather than trying to be the teams fighter. You remove some of the fights from Carcillo and all of Asham's fights since they aren't resigning him and limit Lappy's fighting to prevent his skull from caving in(again) and there is a pretty big void in who will handle the teams dirty work, which is where Shelley comes in.

I personally would have liked them to handle other business(goalie) and take care of this later but they clearly dont think Leighton is too bad so lets stop complaining about this and get back to Leighton and Gagne.

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 07-20-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old
07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Here are the cap hits this season for some comparable players on rival teams.

Boogaard (NYR)- $1.75 Million
4 year deal for a guy who averages about 50 games a season.

Brashear (NYR)- $1.4 Million
Last year of a 2 year deal, he will be 39 when its done and will likely be buried in the AHL.

Shelley (Philly)- $1.1 Million
3 year deal ending just after turning 37.

Orr (Toronto)- $1.0 Million
4 year deal signed last year. He's coming off a career high 6 points this season.

Thornton (Boston)- .8125 Million
2 year deal ending just before he turns 35.

Goddard (Pitt)- $.750 Million
This is the last year of a 3 year deal. The cap has gone up and when he signed the deal he had only had 1 full NHL season as an established heavyweight. I'd be shocked if he didnt sign for around 1 Million next year.

The average Cap hit for those guys is 1.135 Million(Just above Shelley). The thing about those cap hits is the fact that most of them dont play every game so in the end is Shelley gets 41 games and Powe signs for 700k and gets 41 games that's a 900k cap hit for a 4th liner. Not really a bad deal.

I really think they want Carcillo to be more of an agitator that can play 3rd line minutes and chip in some more points rather than trying to be the teams fighter. You remove some of the fights from Carcillo and all of Asham's fights since they aren't resigning him and limit Lappy's fighting to prevent his skull from caving in(again) and there is a pretty big void in who will handle the teams dirty work, which is where Shelley comes in.

I personally would have liked them to handle other business(goalie) and take care of this later but they clearly dont think Leighton is too bad so lets stop complaining about this and get back to Leighton and Gagne.
But not in this thread, this is a Jody Shelley thread

Old
07-20-2010, 08:16 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
So would I, to a certain point. The fallacy is that the Bullies were only tough as nails. The fact is that, while they took no **** from anyone, they could play. That's a golden combination. Shelley, Cote and the majority of their contemporaries can't do both.
**** the Bullies. Flyers hockey has brought 35 years of failure.

Ban Clarke and Holmgren from ever setting foot in Wachovia Center again, and let's play winning hockey without even having idiots like Shelley wear orange again.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
They had bruisers good for 15-20 goals a game.

We have Shelley and Cote.
That's pretty good...

Old
07-20-2010, 08:59 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
That's pretty good...
More offensive league back then. ;-)

Old
07-20-2010, 09:22 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post

At least Lappy will be happy he won't have to do this anymore.

Plus, I think we have to remember Shelly wasn't here to score he has a job to do, not all 12 forwards are going to score 20 + plus goals.

We will see the status of Shelly on the boards when he drops Goddard in Pittsburgh new arena opening night.

If he does this then knocks Crosby right thru the ice (yes god dammit I said thru the ice) I will go out and buy a $75 counterfit Shelley jersey. Preferably with 3 L's. Shellley.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:23 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post

Ban Clarke and Holmgren from ever setting foot in Wachovia Center again, and let's play winning hockey without even having idiots like Shelley wear orange again.

But lets at least keep the bully attitude though shall we? I would love to win but I'd like to not be a ***** when we do it.

Some one teach me how to use the multi-quote.

Last edited by TheLegendkiller: 07-20-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old
07-20-2010, 09:30 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
But lets at least keep the bully attitude though shall we? I would love to win but I'd like to not be a ***** just to do it.

Some one teach me how o use the multi-quote.
See the "multi" button below? Simply click it on the posts you want to quote. On the final post you want to quote, click Quote rather than Multi. All the posts you've clicked will appear in the window.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post

That's kind of what I was getting at. I love tough, hard hitting hockey and I hope the Flyers never get away from that. But goon hockey is thankfully long gone.

Closed Thread