HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hunter's working on getting Tinordi

Old
07-20-2010, 12:39 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I can see pros and cons to both avenues...

If he plays OHL...
-he'll go to a pro style organisation in London that has a good track record in developing NHL talent
-he'll get to drop the gloves more than in the NCAA improving taht aspect of his game
-he'll have a longer/more grueling season, preparing him for the grind and travel of the NHL

If he plays NCAA
-he'll play against older/better players that are 18-22 and not 16-20 like in the OHL
hence the calibre of opposition is higher
-he'll have less games and more gym/practise time to fill out his frame and get stronger

Not to mention it is an academics first atmosphere which will aid him in his post hockey life. I say ND is truly the way to go honestly.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:45 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
I can see pros and cons to both avenues...

If he plays OHL...
-he'll go to a pro style organisation in London that has a good track record in developing NHL talent
-he'll get to drop the gloves more than in the NCAA improving taht aspect of his game
-he'll have a longer/more grueling season, preparing him for the grind and travel of the NHL

If he plays NCAA
-he'll play against older/better players that are 18-22 and not 16-20 like in the OHL
hence the calibre of opposition is higher
-he'll have less games and more gym/practise time to fill out his frame and get stronger
I can't say that I agree with this. Playing against more mature guys with okay skill levels does not translate to a "higher calibre opposition". If it was higher calibre the NCAA would command a bigger slice of the pie in terms of being NHL player sources. As it stands it is hard to dispute that those 16 to 20 years olds he would play in the OHL aren't higher quality. Especially when it comes to fast players with truly excellent puck handling skills. A real challenge to the D

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I can't say that I agree with this. Playing against more mature guys with okay skill levels does not translate to a "higher calibre opposition". If it was higher calibre the NCAA would command a bigger slice of the pie in terms of being NHL player sources. As it stands it is hard to dispute that those 16 to 20 years olds he would play in the OHL aren't higher quality. Especially when it comes to fast players with truly excellent puck handling skills. A real challenge to the D
NCAA has high skill players also, the big difference is that even their "rookies" are 19-20, in junior the young players and rookies are 16 and 17, not necessarily mature physically. The big edge in physical maturity is not offset by a slight edge in high end skill.

Mike Comrie is an example to look at...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=44991

He put up 1.5 PPGM NCAA at 19 and over 2 PPGM in the WHL at 20. The WHL is the lowest scoring of the 3 CHL leagues and he still scored a lot more.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
NCAA has high skill players also, the big difference is that even their "rookies" are 19-20, in junior the young players and rookies are 16 and 17, not necessarily mature physically. The big edge in physical maturity is not offset by a slight edge in high end skill.

Mike Comrie is an example to look at...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=44991

He put up 1.5 PPGM NCAA at 19 and over 2 PPGM in the WHL at 20. The WHL is the lowest scoring of the 3 CHL leagues and he still scored a lot more.
No offense to Mike Comrie, but take a look at the talent that has come out of the OHL, let alone the CHL as a whole. There simply is no comparison

The players (with a few exceptions) getting the most minutes in the CHL are the really highly skilled 18 to 19 year olds. I'd stack them up against anything the NCAA has.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:35 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
No offense to Mike Comrie, but take a look at the talent that has come out of the OHL, let alone the CHL as a whole. There simply is no comparison

The players (with a few exceptions) getting the most minutes in the CHL are the really highly skilled 18 to 19 year olds. I'd stack them up against anything the NCAA has.
There's an article on NHL.com about the top 10 players under the age of 21. 7 are from the OHL. Clearly Tinordi would be best served in London.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
There are weak teams in every league, the CHL is not excluded from this.
Of course. Every league has them, but the ECAC is pretty much a weak ass subdivision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't agree that 2 years of Havard is one year of development, but I guess we'll see. I also would be shocked if he wasn't on Team Canada but then again I thought he was going to make it last year.

I do wonder though, how much people get to see of ECAC hockey. People seem to be treating it like it's total crap, not saying it's the best but I wonder how many ECAC games are shown on tv in Canada.

I'm also interested in how so many seem so sure of what's the best thing for Leblanc to do. Having an opinion is easy, anyone can do so, but having an informed one is not easy, and I'm talking to everyone in this thread not one poster. I know that I don't have a clue what's best for him, and I don't care where he plays next year since I assume it will be his last there.

I can see why people are concerned, as Timmins 1st round picks do not give that warm fuzzy feeling, but I do think this is being overblown, imo as long as he can add some mass and strength to his frame, he should be a solid player for us in a couple years, no matter where he plays.
ADTHE.net does wonders for games. Same with other sites that I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say.

As for what's best for Leblanc, it's what's best for his hockey career is to not be at Harvard. What,s best for him is to play there, get an education and have something to fall back on.

As for Team Canada, I'm pretty sure everyone thought he'd make the team last year.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
TankEller*

All I read is people saying how the NCAA is great for players who have to bulk up... So all in all, how big did Leblanc grow this winter? He gained what? 6 pounds? 7 pounds?

I can't believe he couldn't grow that much in the CHL.

As far as Tinordi is concerned, I don't want my future physical, nasty, stay-at-home d-man to play in a league where players wear a ****ing cage off their helmet. This might sound Cherry-esque/prejudice, but under Hunter, he'd sure learn this very aspect of the game very well. He'd sure get even more nasty, and you can bet he'd get a tap on his shoulder often enough so he can learn the art of fighting properly.

Whether you guys want to admit it or not, fighting is a huge part of a stay-at-home, physical d-man game. The best example is how much of a ***** Komisarek became once he got his ass kicked by Lucic. Intimidation is what makes these guys what they are.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
SeriousFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
All I read is people saying how the NCAA is great for players who have to bulk up... So all in all, how big did Leblanc grow this winter? He gained what? 6 pounds? 7 pounds?

As far as Tinordi is concerned, I don't want my future physical, nasty, stay-at-home d-man to play in a league where players wear a ****ing cage off their helmet. This might sound Cherry-esque/prejudice, but under Hunter, he'd sure learn this very aspect of the game very well. He'd sure get even more nasty, and you can bet he'd get a tap on his shoulder often enough so he can learn the art of fighting properly.

Whether you guys want to admit it or not, fighting is a huge part of a stay-at-home, physical d-man game. The best example is how much of a ***** Komisarek became once he got his ass kicked by Lucic. Intimidation is what makes these guys what they are.
Leblanc's objective isn't to probably pile on weight, at 6' and from scouting reports, he is a skating forward and likely doesn't want to be lugging too much weight with him when he skates so he gets those extra inches on people he's trying to outpace or move around. He could have also lost body fat in that time and added muscle in place.

One of the most devastating hitters in the NHL is Anton Volchenkov, he doesn't fight but everyone cringes at the thought of him catching them for one of his checks. There's a top stay-at-home defender but doesn't bother with fighting. Niklas Kronwall? There's another killer along the boards that doesn't waste 5 minutes or more a game in the box rather than doing his job. You have Top-4 D or Top-6 F personnel in the box during a game, something's wrong.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:50 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousFan09 View Post
Leblanc's objective isn't to probably pile on weight, at 6' and from scouting reports, he is a skating forward and likely doesn't want to be lugging too much weight with him when he skates so he gets those extra inches on people he's trying to outpace or move around. He could have also lost body fat in that time and added muscle in place.
If that's the case (he doesn't want to gain too much mass), well what the hell is he doing in the NCAA?! Oh yeah! Preparing his life after the NHL while he's 19 years old...

I gave the kid the benefit of the doubt last year, but if he actually goes back there, there are questions fans should ask themselves. I mean, who in the world wants to have a pro NHL career, without taking the best possible avenue to achieve their goal?...

Quote:
One of the most devastating hitters in the NHL is Anton Volchenkov, he doesn't fight but everyone cringes at the thought of him catching them for one of his checks. There's a top stay-at-home defender but doesn't bother with fighting. Niklas Kronwall? There's another killer along the boards that doesn't waste 5 minutes or more a game in the box rather than doing his job. You have Top-4 D or Top-6 F personnel in the box during a game, something's wrong.
Tinordi's game with the puck is nowhere near Kronwall's, and don't worry, sooner than later, especially in the physical Atlantic Division, Volchenkov is going to find his man. I also don't want Tinordi to become a guy like Volchenkov. Volchenkov is nothing but a yellow, dirty, vicious player who checks player when they're weak. He'll never go and hit a guy like Lucic, and never will he ever defend one of his teammates after the whistles. More often than not, it's his own teammates who've got to stand up for him.

Plus, playing 80+ games under Hunter in a highly regarded junior team when hockey development is concerned sure would do him no wrong.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:00 PM
kernkraft

People saying he'd have plenty of time to bulk up in the NCAA have to remember he'll be taking about 12-15 hours of lectures per week plus possible discussion groups, labs or whatever. Then he has to pass midterms, exams, write assignments etc. That will eat up some time too.

He can easily gain that weight during summer training if he wants.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Of course. Every league has them, but the ECAC is pretty much a weak ass subdivision.

ADTHE.net does wonders for games. Same with other sites that I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say.

As for what's best for Leblanc, it's what's best for his hockey career is to not be at Harvard. What,s best for him is to play there, get an education and have something to fall back on.

As for Team Canada, I'm pretty sure everyone thought he'd make the team last year.
ADthe.net shows ECAC games?, cause they didn't have a national tv deal last year so it's hard to catch games on tv outside of local broadcasts.

I don't presume to know what's best for Leblanc as a hockey player. I do think people are underrating the ECAC in general. USA opted to go with Yale's head coach for the U-20's next year, so they must like something about the ECAC. Not saying the Q is better or worse, I guess I don't see it that way, there are pros and cons to both sides.

Quote:

Who says Leblanc is there to bulk up? I never heard him say that's why he went the NCAA route. There's more to the NCAA then having time to bulk up. Maybe he happens to think he's better off playing against bigger, stronger players in the NCAA then he would be in the Q.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:05 PM
SeriousFan09

Quote:
If that's the case (he doesn't want to gain too much mass), well what the hell is he doing in the NCAA?! Oh yeah! Preparing his life after the NHL while he's 19 years old...

I gave the kid the benefit of the doubt last year, but if he actually goes back there, there are questions fans should ask themselves. I mean, who in the world wants to have a pro NHL career, without taking the best possible avenue to achieve their goal?...

Tinordi's game with the puck is nowhere near Kronwall's, and don't worry, sooner than later, especially in the physical Atlantic Division, Volchenkov is going to find his man. I also don't want Tinordi to become a guy like Volchenkov. Volchenkov is nothing but a yellow, dirty, vicious player who checks player when they're weak. He'll never go and hit a guy like Lucic, and never will he ever defend one of his teammates after the whistles. More often than not, it's his own teammates who've got to stand up for him.

Plus, playing 80+ games under Hunter in a highly regarded junior team when hockey development is concerned sure would do him no wrong.
Leblanc getting a higher education isn't a terrible thing, Canadiens could use more mature players, especially among their prospects to combat the issues they've had with party boys in the last few years. Frontrunners for the captaincy Brian Gionta, Mike Cammalleri are products of the NCAA hockey system, veteran assistant leader Gill also is. They're bad guys to have on the team because they wasted their time in College? Man, you know that Jonathan Toews kid is a total loser as well for wasting time in college.

You're crediting Milan Lucic with bravery over Anton Volchenkov? Lucic is a dirty player and a bright yellow chicken in that jersey of his and he only gets a pass from from the ethnocentric hacks in the NHL because he's one of those good Canadian boys. He almost has never fought a real opponent in his career. Tinordi's game as a defensive defencemen doesn't need him becoming a pugilist for him to succeed.

SeriousFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote