HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville still needs... - What do you think the final piece to the roster is?

Old
07-20-2010, 01:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I feel very good about our D men.

Klien-Boullion

I think this is a solid pairing. They seemed to play well together last year, and the 3rd D spot is Kliens to lose after Hammer left.
This is a solid pairing when it's playing 15 minutes a night, but when it has to play 20 minutes a night against significantly better competition, there are going to be problems. Bouillon has taken on that kind of responsibility before, but it was on some mediocre Montreal teams before the lockout. Klein has done absolutely bupkus to put himself in a position to be our #3 defenseman. He has loads of talent and no clue on how to use it.

We need to bring in someone to play behind Weber and Suter who can step up and play bigger minutes if either goes down. I would still like to see us bring Grebeshkov back if the price is right, and Willie Mitchell hasn't exactly been a highly sought-after commodity in the free agent market this year. Both played north of 20 minutes last year, and Grebeshkov played extremely well in a small sample size for us.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:07 PM
predfan98

I haven't kept up with Mitchell, but the last thing I'd read said he was still having concussion problems. Is that still the case?

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

We can get PK for cheap. we have $ to do whatever we want. Poile will always be very careful but we need a top 6. I understand we will need to sign Weber, Suter, Hornqvist, & Wilson to new deals..

I am very confident in our D, while i agree Grebs is much needed on this team.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
I haven't kept up with Mitchell, but the last thing I'd read said he was still having concussion problems. Is that still the case?
yes ... bright lights/ice hurts his head

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
SilasAdams

i agree. we cant do **** in the playoffs without a legitimate GOAL SCORER and a decent powerplay. and a healthy kariya would fit in perfect.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashvillePred View Post
i agree. we cant do **** in the playoffs without a legitimate GOAL SCORER and a decent powerplay. and a healthy kariya would fit in perfect.
... he disappeared in the playoffs the first time he was here ... why do we want to go back there when we know it didn't work the first time ...

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 07-20-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Acting like a moderator.
Old
07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I understand how a lot of people think that Paul Kariya could (and I guess it's possible) help fix our power play, but consider this: When Kariya was here and our PP was actually pretty decent we also had Hartnell, Sullivan, Dumont, Arnott, Legwand, Erat (both of whom were producing), Timonen, Weber, Forsberg for a third of a season, etc. Since I just got home I haven't had time to run back and look at PP numbers for those players during the 06-07 season, but something tells me PK wasn't exactly hauling everyone on his shoulders every time we had the man advantage. In fact, I know he wasn't because I watched every single game he played in Preds gear. Yes he helped that team click on the PP, but that was then. Production from 05-07 with a completely different team doesn't mean the same result will happen in 10-11.

PK also isn't a pure goal scorer. He is a set up man first, but could bury some chances. In fifteen seasons he put up 50 goals once, broke 40 twice (nearly a third time), and has been on a steady decline since leaving here. One season in St Louis isn't fair to use considering he was injured for all but 11 games, but then you have to take into account his age. Are injuries going to continue to be a problem? Probably. People don't tend to stop getting hurt or start healing faster as they age.

As Glenn pointed out, PK and Dumont's numbers are similar over a comparable number of games played. In fact, while PK has gone down in both goals and total points since 05-06, Dumont had been on a steady clip until dropping off last year with his demotion.

I think we all need to stop salivating over forwards. There is already a logjam heading into camp. What we need, as others have pointed out, is a steady, veteran blueliner and possibly a back up netminder. Any money we could throw at an aging player for reasons bordering nostalgia could be used to shore up the defense.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
glenngineer

Kariya, for all the good he did here, was not the finisher we needed and still need. I can't tell you how many times Legwand and Erat sent him off to the races up ice and he didn't bury nearly enough chances. If he buries a few more, he probably hits 40 and Legwand and Erat are in the 70 point range themselves. With a history of wrist, hip and head injuries, I'd have to pass on him at this point. His quick release isn't what it used to be. We'll have someone here next year that will finish plays and is a true sniper.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Kariya, for all the good he did here, was not the finisher we needed and still need. I can't tell you how many times Legwand and Erat sent him off to the races up ice and he didn't bury nearly enough chances. If he buries a few more, he probably hits 40 and Legwand and Erat are in the 70 point range themselves. With a history of wrist, hip and head injuries, I'd have to pass on him at this point. His quick release isn't what it used to be. We'll have someone here next year that will finish plays and is a true sniper.
I wonder who that could be ?

Old
07-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Paincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I wonder who that could be ?
Forsberg!

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 07:38 PM
hatedandproud

Quote:
PK had 2 goals in 10 playoff games with the Preds.
On the flip side, he had 7 assists in 10 games.

So....7 pts. in the '05-'06 series and 2 in the '06-'07 series.

Sorry...I'll still pass.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:31 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 10000
I cannot deny 2 things:

1. PK was no good in the playoffs for us

2. Our PP did go to crap right about the time he left. maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

so Im conflicted. I could really go either way.

I couldnt bring myself to boo him when he left, at the time the Hamilton PReds were sold out of season tickets, I would have bolted too.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I would've loved to see PK back, but Lombardi is a better investment. If Karyia could be had for 1.5M I would pull the trigger.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:02 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't get people brining up size.

Joel Ward 6'1" 220
Colin Wilson 6'1" 215
JP Dumont 6'1" 205
David Legwand 6'2" 204
Marcel Goc 6'1" 202
Jerred Smithson 6'3" 206
Cody Franson 6'5" 213
Shea Weber 6'4" 234
Ryan Parent 6'3" 198
Wade Belak 6'5" 222
Ryan Suter 6'1" 198
Kevin Klein 6'1" 201

And 3 of our small guys

Sergei Kostitsyn 6' 210
Martin Erat 6' 200
Jordin Tootoo 5'9" 198

All sizes were pulled from NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?team=NSH

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:06 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The three small guys for the Preds are Jordin Tootoo, Steve Sullivan, and Frank Boullion. 2 of the 3 go not play soft and the 3rd is a goal scorer we desperately need.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
hoosierpred

I'm not sure Kariya is the answer, but we don't have a proven sniper on the team, and that is cause for concern. As non-motivated as Arnott could occasionally be, he did hit lots of shots in the high slot when the opportunity presented itself. What we need is a more relentless player that works hard to put himself in position to take shots that he can hit. Somebody in the mold of Zach Parise would be perfect (yeah, i know i'm dreaming), but that's what we need the most to compliment our deficiencies. Somebody of that type would also help improve our powerplay because it would help it become more fluid and spontaneous. Anybody else have someone in mind?

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:31 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierpred View Post
I'm not sure Kariya is the answer, but we don't have a proven sniper on the team, and that is cause for concern. As non-motivated as Arnott could occasionally be, he did hit lots of shots in the high slot when the opportunity presented itself. What we need is a more relentless player that works hard to put himself in position to take shots that he can hit. Somebody in the mold of Zach Parise would be perfect (yeah, i know i'm dreaming), but that's what we need the most to compliment our deficiencies. Somebody of that type would also help improve our powerplay because it would help it become more fluid and spontaneous. Anybody else have someone in mind?
I think the answer lies somewhere in the mix of guys we already have. Hornqvist obviously is a mucker in front. I think Wilson will find his shot and place to use size and skill. I think Lombardi's speed will create space for others and SK's playmaking ability and speed will open up the ice for others as well.

What we lacked the last few years was a counter attack with speed. Other than Legwand and Erat, we just didn't have the guys to stretch the ice so we had to work for every goal. With Sully having another year under his belt plus adding Lombardi and SK and also having Wilson for an entire year, I think we have enough fire power. We may not have a 70 or 80 point guy but I think we have 7 or 8 40-50 point guys which is not going to be easy to shut down. And that 40-50 point total I'm talking about is just from the forwards. I'm expecting Suter and Weber to be in that range as well.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

This team doesn't need a true sniper. What it needs is a functioning power play. A sniper would help with that, yes, but it isn't a necessary component to a successful PP. Creativity and lack of hesitation would be a huge boost. If we could get a few of the guys to move around a bit more out there it might be a bonus, too. We jettisoned Arnott so there's one less stationary skater.

Old
07-23-2010, 10:08 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Mixed reports, something came out earlier this summer about his agent saying he's cleared and ready to go, then shortly thereafter, Mike Gillis saying if and when Willie can prove he's on the ice and over his head problems, we'd consider looking at him, which didn't sound like the Canucks were convinced.

Mitchell said he wanted to stay with the Canucks, and then we go out and add Hamhuis and Ballard at way more than Mitchell would have cost, and re-upped Rome and O'Brien, even though Mitchell's a great leader, community and team guy, responsible in his end and would have been relatively cheap.

Reading between the lines, I think he's got issues, and I'm not just referring to the big stick jokes.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:28 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 486
Quote:
i agree. we cant do **** in the playoffs without a legitimate GOAL SCORER and a decent powerplay. and a healthy 29 year old kariya would fit in perfect.

ftfy

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 03:03 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 10000
does O'Sullivan play the PP?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 04:08 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Yeah, he always came up big for us.

...when we were playing the Blue Jackets or some other awful team.

I counter this thread with Nashville needs Denis Grebeshkov.
Oh GOD. I'm trying to think of a word that's no-er than "no".

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:45 AM
KingPuckChoo

hey guys, i just wanted to know if there's a consensus on who will be Nashville's backup this year?

is it Mark Dedavich? Chet Peckard? or if you know Poile will sign another backup?

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:49 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

No one will really have much of an idea until camp. It'll likely be between Pickard, Dekanich, and Lindback. Some think that the best two in camp will likely split back up time in Nashville.

Old
07-24-2010, 12:07 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
No one will really have much of an idea until camp. It'll likely be between Pickard, Dekanich, and Lindback. Some think that the best two in camp will likely split back up time in Nashville.
ah k, good

and respects to the Preds btw, what a team

i just hope the Kings won't end up losing all 4 games to you guys again lol

we're 2 and 9 in 11 games vs NSH ...talk about being owned

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote