HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NSH - VAN [Bieksa]

Old
07-20-2010, 05:59 PM
GCM
Stork

vCash: 500
NSH - VAN [Bieksa]

Not sure if Nashville really needs Bieksa but he's better than Klein <_<

But since you guys seem to have a **** load of 3rd liners how about a friendly deal like this:

D Kevin Bieksa

F Marcel Goc
2011 3rd Round Pick

For the preds: Hamhuis is replaced with a grittier version of him. Bieksa is a good player when he isn't playing top minutes and being relied on to be the shut down D (like he was in Vancouver). When he's sitting behind a top pairing he faces weaker competition and that's where he excels. On the Canucks depth chart, however, he's pushed to the bottom pairing, and he's too expensive to be a bottom pairing D-man.

On the Preds he'll be a solid top 4 D man on the second pairing. Sitting behind Weber and Suter he'll be playing with a lot less pressure. He's also a pretty good locker room guy and is willing to drop the gloves.

For the nucks: The backlog on D is alleviated (slightly), and in turn we get that sizeable 3rd/4th line player we're looking for. He had 12 goals so he'll find a way to contribute. Will probably center the 4th line behind Malhotra on the depth chart but at $775,000 it's no big deal.

Clears up lots of cap room to sign Raymond to an extension. The 3rd round pick helps even the value without adding salary back.

So do you guys like it? Nashville has other options though. They might want to keep Goc because he is a good faceoff guy and he's cheap, and then just pursue signing Grebeshkov for free. Like/Dislike? Thoughts?

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Bieska: 34 games, 2 goals, 10 assists, TOI: 23:23. Salary, 3.5 cash, 3.75 cap hit one year on the deal.

The salary is the turn off for me. Nashville won't touch the extra 3 million.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:07 PM
glenngineer

The salary issue is the problem with it. I have a funny feeling if we're looking for a veteran defenseman, it'll be late in the summer and for around the price tag of about a million. Might be a guy who hasn't landed somewhere yet but could be a good third pairing guy or permascratch.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Bieksa but the price is what prohibits the deal at this time.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:39 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Yeah. Wouldn't mind having Bieksa being our number three instead of Klein or Bouillon, but I don't see us trading Goc just to turn around and pay more than we (probably) would have to pay for Grebs.

Like BFC and glenn said, though, the trade isn't necessarily a bad one. It's just the money issue.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Mirepoix

How about a trade based around Shane O'Brien for Jerred Smithson?

Canucks get their fourth-line pivot. While some might say that the Canucks would be better off keeping their assets and getting a cheap UFA player who can do the same things as Smithson, I think it's worth it for Vancouver to pick up a proven commodity.

O'Brien is two years younger than Bieksa but has played more NHL games. He's not as offensively gifted but he's better defensively and has quite a bit more size than Bieksa. Although he has a reputation for being a bit of a goof off the ice, he's a solid player when he's on the ice. Plus, being coached by Trotz and being part of a defensive core with Weber and Suter should help straighten out SOB's shortcomings. His cap hit is $1.6m for the upcoming season.

Mirepoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:48 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

SO'B 65 games, TOI/G 17:00, 2G 6A. Salary: 1.6 Million in cash not cap.

Nashville would be taking on about .85 million more cash. Smithson would be a slight hit but with the excess forwards and with Spaling in the mix it would be a minimum hit. The move would predicate a trade or demotion of Sulzer.

I would think about it.

Old
07-20-2010, 06:48 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

After last year's horrible penalty kill I get a bit iffy when it comes to trading away one of our best PK forwards. We do need a blueliner, but I think Poile is planning on inviting one or two guys to training camp, and seeing how they compete against Blum, Josi, and Ellis.

But then again, what do I know? I'm just some guy with a keyboard

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:50 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Whalewood View Post

Canucks get their fourth-line pivot. While some might say that the Canucks would be better off keeping their assets and getting a cheap UFA player who can do the same things as Smithson, I think it's worth it for Vancouver to pick up a proven commodity.

O'Brien is two years younger than Bieksa but has played more NHL games. He's not as offensively gifted but he's better defensively and has quite a bit more size than Bieksa. Although he has a reputation for being a bit of a goof off the ice, he's a solid player when he's on the ice. Plus, being coached by Trotz and being part of a defensive core with Weber and Suter should help straighten out SOB's shortcomings. His cap hit is $1.6m for the upcoming season.
I could go for that because it rids us of Smithson who I'm not fond of and replaces him with a hard hitting defensemen which is always a good thing in my book.

Old
07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
After last year's horrible penalty kill I get a bit iffy when it comes to trading away one of our best PK forwards. We do need a blueliner, but I think Poile is planning on inviting one or two guys to training camp, and seeing how they compete against Blum, Josi, and Ellis.

The PK was horrible so losing Smithson off a unit that was bad isn't much of a blow at this point to me.

Old
07-20-2010, 06:57 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Bieska: 34 games, 2 goals, 10 assists, TOI: 23:23. Salary, 3.5 cash, 3.75 cap hit one year on the deal.

The salary is the turn off for me. Nashville won't touch the extra 3 million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
The salary issue is the problem with it. I have a funny feeling if we're looking for a veteran defenseman, it'll be late in the summer and for around the price tag of about a million. Might be a guy who hasn't landed somewhere yet but could be a good third pairing guy or permascratch.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Bieksa but the price is what prohibits the deal at this time.
Quote:
Yeah. Wouldn't mind having Bieksa being our number three instead of Klein or Bouillon, but I don't see us trading Goc just to turn around and pay more than we (probably) would have to pay for Grebs.

Like BFC and glenn said, though, the trade isn't necessarily a bad one. It's just the money issue.
I think Grebs is going to make a LOT more than Bieksa, after seeing most of the defensive signings. Given teams like Pittsburgh took two of the highly touted D (Martin, Michalek) that means teams that missed out are going to bid that much higher on a UFA.

I think Grebs isn't signed yet because he's picking where he wants to play. He's probably in a good position right now.

But yeah shame about the internal cap. How lame V_V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Whalewood View Post

I don't think SOB deserved to be qualified, 1.6 is way too much for what he brings. The fact that he's qualified and just how managment puts up with him leads me to believe Gillis likes him and intends on giving him another chance. I doubt he gets traded.

Plus this is about getting cap room for Vancouver. That deal does very little for the Canucks. Bieksa is only being moved because 3.75 is too much of a hit for someone who is #5 on the depth chart.

Smithson isn't very attractive either.

Quote:

Aren't we all?

Old
07-20-2010, 07:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
But yeah shame about the internal cap. How lame V_V
The cap prevents David Poile to become a God amongst GMs.

Old
07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
lame owner?

Old
07-20-2010, 07:26 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
lame owner?
Craig Leipold was eh, he sucked like a hoover. New ownership is just working with the money they got but they are gaining more members to the ownership and gaining more cash room.

I would rather have the group over Leipold.

Old
07-20-2010, 07:51 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Craig Leipold was eh, he sucked like a hoover. New ownership is just working with the money they got but they are gaining more members to the ownership and gaining more cash room.

I would rather have the group over Leipold.
Groups are better than single owners.

Groups mean lots of money, but chances are low when it comes to interference with the GM/coach.

Some single owners think they know hockey.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:59 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know that Bieska is that much better than Klein. Klein had some brainfarts for sure but he's sold when he's not paired with Hamhuis, 2 brainfarts together is a bad idea.

Klein just needs to be more consistant. Talent wise, he's got all the tools and you won't find a much better skater. He just needs to put it all together.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Webersmashpuck

If Bieksa's price tag was lower I would do the first trade but 3.5 is too much. Now I would definitely consider the Smithson for O'Brien.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

LOL at trading GOC! some people really blow my mind

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:14 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
if we had that much money to spend on a second pair defenseman we'd have made Hamhuis an offer...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Au contraire. An artist's limitations are his best friends.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 12:13 AM
roseyc

Everyone is worried about our defense. Not me I just think that we are a organization known for a pipeline for defense. It's time for them to play. Hamhuis was/is overated. Maybe he get his game with another team I don't care. It time for Blum and Josi and Laasko to fill those spots. Klein is going to be ok. He has only been in the league for only 2 years. I think he'll have a bounce back season. I like what we have now. Let's just go to camp and let them fight it out on defense and offense. First we need to sign Hornqvist. This is going to be exciting preseason. Just to find out who's going to stay and who's going to go. Someone will have to go

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
Because he's just so untouchable?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 10:34 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I would probably do both deals, though agree Bieksa's pricetag is a little high for what he brings...and I'd hate to lose Goc, also. If Bieksa was making 2 or so, I'd be fine with that trade, though.

I'd do SOB for Smithson, simply because I think this is Smithson's last year with us anyway, and Spaling\Halischuk\Andersson should be able to fill his role with more offensive upside.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:17 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
You can find players like Goc in a box of Cracker Jacks.

I would jump on this deal. I think Poile can justify the $3.5M for one year of a player like Bieksa, who can bring the same edge as Bouillon and also help the power play like Grebeshkov would. He would be able to eat minutes in the event of an injury to Weber or Suter, which is something that can't be said about anyone on our defense right now.

Does Klein have the talent to play 20+ minutes a night? You bet he does, but he's wildly inconsistent, reckless with the puck, and forces everything. Sure, he could pull it all together at just the right time, but a consistent Klein is about as likely as me winning the lottery in four states on the same day. It could happen, but the odds against it are overwhelming, and it's not something you should consider an integral part of your financial planning.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Which leads to the question, if Vancouver already had Bieska why the hell did they sign Hamhuis? Seriously, sounds like they are just clones of each other.

Old
07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Which leads to the question, if Vancouver already had Bieska why the hell did they sign Hamhuis? Seriously, sounds like they are just clones of each other.
Grass-is-greener syndrome. It's the same impulse that made some Jackets fans want to dump Vermette and sign Plekanec (before MTL resigned him).

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote