HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Experienced beer leaguers, please weigh in...

Old
07-20-2010, 12:26 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Beer league games often get like this. Personally, I don't mind it at all, compared to when I used to play full contact hockey the level of physical play in beer leauge is pretty low, and guys trying to push me around actually gets me more into the game. I never start the chippy stuff, but if the opposing team gets chippy first I'll gladly give it right back. It's just a part of hockey at any level, learn to enjoy the chippy play and you'll probably enjoy hockey more overall.

Re: slew footing, I would say don't do it. Players falling backwards can really smoke their head into the ice and get concussions. If I want to send a message to a player who's being way too dirty, I'll normally just lay him out with a clean hit (well, what would be a clean hit in a contact league), or just get in his face after the whistle.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was moving laterally when I was tripped, and I hit the ice hard with my shoulder/side. The kicker was my head jerked hard side to side, which is what gave me whiplash, but I did hit my head on the ice (even though it wasn't very hard). Never hit my head on the ice before or since.

The real problem was I had an ear infection at the same time, which made me dizzy for a couple weeks, plus the whiplash gave me really bad headaches, so the docs had to do all the tests to rule out concussion and other things. At the end of the day, I had to go on anxiety meds because of all the stress.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 01:28 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
1) I was in my defensive zone in the right corner (my team's goalie was to my left) and I sent the puck back along the boards behind our goalie into the other corner, so the play was on the other side of the rink. After I sent the puck along the back boards, a player on the other team came at me and with both hands just shoved me over backwards. After getting up I asked the ref if he saw it and he said "yes", but said it was "just hockey." Should that have been called a penalty?
How long after the pass were you shoved? If it was right after, then it's much more of a subjective call on the ref's part. If you passed it off and two seconds later a guy pushed you, though, that should definitely be a penalty, no questions asked.

Also, refs often take into account the level you're playing at, and let a lot more go if you're in a high division rather than a low division.

Quote:
2) The other team was playing very physical - cross-checked our team's one girl player twice, and was hooting and hollering often after scoring, especially after one of their better players dangled through like 3 of us beginners on a breakaway. I finally got very frustrated at their nonsense, and starting pushing people back, especially around the net. So the same player who shoved my took a punch at my face - but since i wear a cage, it just bounced off.
My regular team is a cheering team, but if it's obvious that it's going to be a barn-burner game, then they tone it back a lot, with maybe a couple quiet high-fives after a goal. I do the same thing from my crease... slap my goal stick on the ice a few times after a goal if the game is close, otherwise I keep quiet.

That said, if a player scores who doesn't usually score, then they'll cheer hard, and so will I.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Beer league games often get like this. Personally, I don't mind it at all, compared to when I used to play full contact hockey the level of physical play in beer leauge is pretty low, and guys trying to push me around actually gets me more into the game. I never start the chippy stuff, but if the opposing team gets chippy first I'll gladly give it right back. It's just a part of hockey at any level, learn to enjoy the chippy play and you'll probably enjoy hockey more overall.

Re: slew footing, I would say don't do it. Players falling backwards can really smoke their head into the ice and get concussions. If I want to send a message to a player who's being way too dirty, I'll normally just lay him out with a clean hit (well, what would be a clean hit in a contact league), or just get in his face after the whistle.
There's a big difference here. You grew up playing in a full checking environment and can lay out an illegal "legal" check to send a message. sadly these punks skate down a divison or three and then go around trying to be NHLers against the newbee. The only way to drive home the message is to do something illegal, hopefully unseen. I don't condone it but fully understand it. I played in a similar game this past weekend and was just pissed by the end of it. I've never been pissed after a game before that.

To the OP, maybe you can recruit somebody who's been around the block a few times to join your team or maybe just sub when you play these a**es to help police the game.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We like to have a big defenseman who scares the other team. Used to have a guy that was about 6'4 350 with a mean streak. Lots of fun.

Forgot about the other time last summer that an opponent was taking runs at our guys (no check league), I laid him out with a clean open ice hit. Can't think of any other times I had any revenge hits though. Never slashed, chopped, or elbowed a guy though, I'm not cheap.

Twice though when we were getting jobbed by a ref I nailed him in the ass with a "clearing" shot. Although I spent 6 minutes in the box for "unrelated" penalties in one of those games.

Old
07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe I should have waited another year before joining the league and taking more clinics/classes.

When I asked one of my adult beginner clinic coaches, who also happens to be the manager of the hockey league, if he thought i was up to the task, he was unsure if I was ready to join it. He might have been right, and being a super nice guy, didn't want to dissuade me...
Honestly I think this is the answer. I am by no means an advanced player, in fact I have only been playing organized hockey for probably 6 months more than you, but I know how you feel. You are probably not ready for any league play yet. You have only been playing for 4 months or so and you probably don't have enough confidence to be playing out there properly. I know I tried to join a league way too quick and I was way overmatched. I knew I was hurting the team and my confidence was shot. I told the team for their benefit that I was going to take the rest of the season off to improve my game rather then being out there bringing them down and possibly injuring myself and other's with my inexperience. The team was cool with it (not short on players at all) and I was happy to have the pressure off me. Take some time to get better on your own and when you are really ready then get out there and kick some ass. Next time a jerk tries to push you around you will have the ability and the confidence to either avoid the hit or go lay him on his ass next time down the ice.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 03:54 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Honestly I think this is the answer. I am by no means an advanced player, in fact I have only been playing organized hockey for probably 6 months more than you, but I know how you feel. You are probably not ready for any league play yet. You have only been playing for 4 months or so and you probably don't have enough confidence to be playing out there properly. I know I tried to join a league way too quick and I was way overmatched. I knew I was hurting the team and my confidence was shot. I told the team for their benefit that I was going to take the rest of the season off to improve my game rather then being out there bringing them down and possibly injuring myself and other's with my inexperience. The team was cool with it (not short on players at all) and I was happy to have the pressure off me. Take some time to get better on your own and when you are really ready then get out there and kick some ass. Next time a jerk tries to push you around you will have the ability and the confidence to either avoid the hit or go lay him on his ass next time down the ice.
For this reason, I am thinking about sitting out the playoff game as I am not exactly helping the team, and starting perhaps private lessons to focus on my skating exclusively.

If i cannot skate better, i will never become a better player, and even my old man, who knows next to nothing about hockey, came to the game last night and i can hear in his voice how he was trying to be polite: "you try hard, but you are just slow when you turn..." That's his way of saying i am not very good out there right now.

The other BS that went on in the game was unacceptable, and even if i was Malkin I would have had to deal with it as i did - but the inability to be more of an impactful player on the ice has to be worked on.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The other BS that went on in the game was unacceptable, and even if i was Malkin I would have had to deal with it as i did - but the inability to be more of an impactful player on the ice has to be worked on.
No doubt. There are always going to be guys out there who think they are as good as Kovy & as tough as Pronger and it just blows that we have to deal with it. I think the better you get though the less this will bug you. I usually play with a couple of big guys that I know have my back and if something like that would have happened to me in the league I was in I have no doubt they would have been taken care of.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's difficult to judge, but can you skate forwards and back, do forward and back crossovers, stops on both feet, etc?

What division are you and what is the lowest division allowable?

And what area do you live?

It doesn't make sense to me that someone could be too bad at hockey to play in a rec league, there should be a lower level. It's also tough that you'd have to take all these clinics and classes in order to just sign up for beginner's league.

Old
07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's difficult to judge, but can you skate forwards and back, do forward and back crossovers, stops on both feet, etc?
Hey. I can skate forwards/backwards, do the cross-overs, stop on both feet, but just not really fast - or well. For instance, I can cross-over backwards at medium speed, but if I go top speed backwards I might lose my balance.

Like I'll do the circles backwards tightly moving fast, but if i pick up too much speed - i go down.

Another challenge is stopping on a dime, or taking a super-sharp turn to get back into a play i overskated.

Generally speaking, I'm just too slow to be effective right now. Rather than moving my feet, i reach out with my stick, one of the true beginner mistakes...

Quote:
What division are you and what is the lowest division allowable? And what area do you live?
I'm in NYC. The league has no divisions, we are all lumped in together like a big pot of stew...

Quote:
It's also tough that you'd have to take all these clinics and classes in order to just sign up for beginner's league.
There's no requirement, there's just no way I could start skating/playing ice hockey in March 2010 having never skated/played before and enter a real league, especially one like this that had no divisions.

Old
07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
slew footing is when the guy is STANDING STILL. almost never hurts a guys leg. but it does teach lessons. and im 5'11.
i would never goe for a knee or leg , or hit from behind when a guys is moving. yes i agree with you that would be over the top.
You're an ass. I've been slew footed, the ref didnt see it and I have a bad back to this day, it will never be the same and causes me to want to give up hockey due to pain at times.

Slew footing is not ever an answer to anything and is all about injuring other players.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
You're an ass. I've been slew footed, the ref didnt see it and I have a bad back to this day, it will never be the same and causes me to want to give up hockey due to pain at times.

Slew footing is not ever an answer to anything and is all about injuring other players.
no im not an ass.
but you try to hurt me ...i WILL hurt you. it's that simple.
especially in a no check league.
i wouldnt pull out the dirty till the guy deserved it. and why did you let yourself get in that position?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2010, 06:49 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Hey. I can skate forwards/backwards, do the cross-overs, stop on both feet, but just not really fast - or well. For instance, I can cross-over backwards at medium speed, but if I go top speed backwards I might lose my balance.

Like I'll do the circles backwards tightly moving fast, but if i pick up too much speed - i go down.

Another challenge is stopping on a dime, or taking a super-sharp turn to get back into a play i overskated.

Generally speaking, I'm just too slow to be effective right now. Rather than moving my feet, i reach out with my stick, one of the true beginner mistakes...

I'm in NYC. The league has no divisions, we are all lumped in together like a big pot of stew...

There's no requirement, there's just no way I could start skating/playing ice hockey in March 2010 having never skated/played before and enter a real league, especially one like this that had no divisions.
which rink chelsea, abe stark, or LIC

Old
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
mgd150

Whats Abe Stark?

mgd150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
no im not an ass.
but you try to hurt me ...i WILL hurt you. it's that simple.
especially in a no check league.
i wouldnt pull out the dirty till the guy deserved it. and why did you let yourself get in that position?
And if YOU end up being the one that gets hurt, what do you do then?...hurt them more?

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Okay, so we finished the season tonight at 1-5, and since everyone makes the playoffs, have that to look forward to. This last game was close all the way, but a number of things occurred that given my lack of experience, I could use some insights from those playing longer.

Keep in mind this is a 4-on-4 non-checking summer beer league with beginners mixed in with d1 as there wasn't enough players to split into divisions. Further, my team was the one team mostly made up of beginners where the other 3 teams in the league were all friends playing together; mostly much better, more experienced players.

Here are the situations I could use some help on:

1) I was in my defensive zone in the right corner (my team's goalie was to my left) and I sent the puck back along the boards behind our goalie into the other corner, so the play was on the other side of the rink. After I sent the puck along the back boards, a player on the other team came at me and with both hands just shoved me over backwards. After getting up I asked the ref if he saw it and he said "yes", but said it was "just hockey." Should that have been called a penalty?

2) The other team was playing very physical - cross-checked our team's one girl player twice, and was hooting and hollering often after scoring, especially after one of their better players dangled through like 3 of us beginners on a breakaway. I finally got very frustrated at their nonsense, and starting pushing people back, especially around the net. So the same player who shoved my took a punch at my face - but since i wear a cage, it just bounced off.

The ref was basically useless, having called one penalty all game - against us at the end, of course - and I nearly came to blows with this other player. Mind you, I'm the second or third worst player on our team, so if i got booted it would not have really mattered, but i was very close to dropping my gloves and literally beating this other player to death.

I've played organized sports decades ago, and know not to lose my head during a game, but between the chirping after a goal, physical play - esp against our girl teammate - and their taking of liberties pushing and shoving my teammates - without the ref calling anything, i just lost it and warned the other team and that one player there will be a fight if the BS continues.

The rest of my team being noobs like me - save for 2 players, who are finesse players anyway - so there is no one out there to protect us. The other 2 teams in the league get this, and have the class and sense not to play like dicks, sometimes even backing off when they see us newer players carrying the puck up ice and just waiting for us to flub the puck on our own.

Was I out of line, or is that kind of physical play acceptable in a beer league? Because if it is, then the open hockey sessions and adult beginner clinics I've been in over the past 3 months have not even come close to the physical play and BS that goes on during the game. Since the other 2 teams didn't play like that, I felt this was an anomaly...
That's one game the referee has to take control...especially when the team that has the advantage in skill presses that over into intimidation. I've been a scorekeeper, and some (not all) of these refs are coming off a long day at work, and are just there to drop the puck for faceoffs and pick up a paycheck. Talk to the referees after whistles, sometimes they aren't in the game at an emotional level, and aren't tuned into that kind of stuff, but if you force them to be aware of those things, they'll pay a little more attention. Can't guarantee it, but it's better than getting suspended for your playoff game because you picked a fight with some ahole. Also, find the league organizer and complain, if the referee isn't enforcing blatant rules like no checking, they should be fired.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 12:46 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
That's one game the referee has to take control...especially when the team that has the advantage in skill presses that over into intimidation. I've been a scorekeeper, and some (not all) of these refs are coming off a long day at work, and are just there to drop the puck for faceoffs and pick up a paycheck. Talk to the referees after whistles, sometimes they aren't in the game at an emotional level, and aren't tuned into that kind of stuff, but if you force them to be aware of those things, they'll pay a little more attention. Can't guarantee it, but it's better than getting suspended for your playoff game because you picked a fight with some ahole. Also, find the league organizer and complain, if the referee isn't enforcing blatant rules like no checking, they should be fired.
This ref just did not care, and clearly wanted to get home asap as we were the late game. I am hopeful this ref does not work again in a game i play in.

Old
07-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Frankie Spankie

You weren't out of line, if a team is physical against my team and the ref doesn't do anything about it, I take it as a lesson from the ref that he obviously isn't going to do anything, so I get physical back. However, that's really just when it comes to pushing and shoving.

In one of the league's I play in (the more competitive league of the two, go figure), the refs have no problem at all giving players penalties for body checks. After all, it is a beer league and it does have a lot of skilled guys, but everybody has to go to work the next morning. Not sure about the chirping after a goal, usually we just make fun of them from the bench.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Razzmatazz

Well, if he does, I guess you are free to goon it up...

Seriously though, find out who the league director is and let them know about it. The ref may clean up his game if his job is on the line.

From my experience scorekeeping...it's interesting to note...a lot of the slacker refs are loudmouth troublemakers when playing in their own league games. The good refs are the ones I never actually see playing on any teams, or if they do, they are quiet players.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
Seriously though, find out who the league director is and let them know about it. The ref may clean up his game if his job is on the line.
You'll love this one; he plays on my team - and he was there that night. Even better, a coach who works under him is on the team we played and I am friendly with both, as they are super-nice guys, and are working hard to build something.

Their problem - which is understandeable - is that the rink just opened and the hockey league is in its infancy, so they cannot afford to piss off people. Only 60 signed up for the league to begin with.

They are trying to establish the rink which is only a year old and continue to grow, which if they told the other teams they had to be split up b/c there wasn't enough players to have divisions - alot of them may have said "no thanks" and went to a different rink.

Since there were no divisions, the beginners like me were thrown onto the ice with the D1s, and since 3 of the 4 teams were made up of experienced players who joined as friends, my team (which as i said includes the hockey director who is one of the only 3 good, experienced players on the team) would be comprised primarily of noobs. We have 6 noobs and 3 good players, that's it - so we got creamed.

I still love to play even if we get smoked, and some have said I showed improvement during the season. For me its hard to tell as i feel no more confident now than i did before, but i'll keep working on it.

The next season starts in a few weeks, and supposedly there will be 3 divisions, one of them being a beginner one for scrubs like me...

Can't wait to play and dangle the few noobs worse than me

Old
07-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Predatials

my 2 cents....

Ive played lots of Mens league over the years and you get all types.. Ive also had the displeasure of running local leagues and playing in them as well. When I read your initial post the fact that the guy that runs your league also plays in it is a big no no. I can't tell you how many players would call me and complain about stuff that happened in previous games etc. It made it very difficult to discipline players in the league when I was playing on a team in that league.... It doesn't work.

As far as the "ringers" that play down levels to boost their egos...there's not much you can do about that if the league turns a blind eye. From my experience summer leagues tend to be a little more liberal with rules as its harder to field players with vacations etc. I commend you for getting out there and playing but playing to hurt people in a rec league is stupid. I recommend in the fall you research the local leagues in your area and find one that better suits your development. I used to run a adult hockey program that was great for beginners. We would have the ice for 1 1/2 hours and the first half of the time i would work on hockey fundamentals and the second half I would have them scrimmage. They loved it and alot of these players met new friends and went on to form teams and funnel into the House league.

There has been times where friend would call me and ask me to skate a game or 2 with their teams and although I could have at the time probably skated end to end and scored at will I would hang back and play defense and make an effort to over pass to less skilled teammates. I remember a few times firing the puck hard around the wall at the ref in the zone because he was there to get a check. But also from some one that has reffed mens league and youth up to the midget level...no ref is perfect. The other poster that said the lower teir levels get the new refs is spot on.... Try to be courteous and approach the ref between whistles or a period and respectfully voice your concerns. You'd be suprised how sometimes a kind word will get better results then skating by a ref and shouting "Hey what the hell? that guy just tried to kill me!!! "

One game I was playing against some young kid that played Div 3 hockey at a local school and he was running around trying to be tough. As a defenseman he came skating at me to forcheck at 100 miles an hour trying to intimidate me and I ripped a slapshot out of the zone via his legs. He skated by me and said try that again...later in that same shift the same thing happened only this time i wound up fully and ripped one at him.
He ended up boarding me from behind later in that game behind the net and of course I embellished it a bit and the refs gave him the gate...lol problem solved.. I still remember him in his street clothers watching the rest of the game pissed as I would skate by and blow kisses at him.

But seriously dont resort to the ruff stuff...it will only come back to bite you eventually.

Predatials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Believe me, it's 10 times more fun playing against people your skill level.

Oh, and if the league director wants to keep the teams, he'll want to make sure the refs are doing a good job. I won't pay to play with hacks.

Old
07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
And if YOU end up being the one that gets hurt, what do you do then?...hurt them more?
that'd be my problem.

Old
07-21-2010, 10:41 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd150 View Post
Whats Abe Stark?
a rink in brooklyn.

Old
07-21-2010, 11:58 PM
sjmay*

A lot of the times, in men's rec hockey, the players don't know the limits of what they can do, what they can't do, what is incidental, and what has a message attached to it.

IE. the guy who pushed you after the pass, no one can come on here and tell you, yea, that's a penalty, without actually seeing it, sometimes it can be, sometimes it won't be.

If you want officials to call everything in men's rec hockey, you are gonna want to get into another sport because that won't happen, for 2 reasons, A. games would take way too long, and B. teams won't have enough players, typically in a men's game, for every penalty that is actually called, there are 3-4 that could have been called, that's just how it is.

For the absolute moron who told you to slewfoot someone, the guy should never step on the ice again, that is absolutely brutal, and the guy obviously has never been on the receiving end of a well timed slewfoot otherwise he would know better than to state that.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote